You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015
(24 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm)Dan wrote The event was very fun indeed. The market was rather busy and the majority of passers-by wanted to know what the bus was on display for. Positive comments all around regarding the interior - some even added how it's far superior to the standard blue interior. The 'selfie bus' was very popular with young people and old people alike - watch out for photos appearing on Social Media soon... As you can all well imagine, everyone enjoyed the free ice cream!

I thought the event was quite good, with all the things going on including the bus being there which people seemed interested in having a look at the bus inside and out and everything else that was going on including the selfie bus, free ice cream and also the radio station (Metro Radio I think?) broadcasting from there. So I thought it was quite a fun day for anyone who could attend.

Was nice getting to have a look round the bus and I thought the interior looks quite smart and I am looking forward to them entering service.
I went to the launch on my way to school with some friends. Rather than head straight into school, we made our way down to the market place for 08:20, and 5397 was sitting there as I had been informed beforehand.

Took a few photos, not too great because of the lighting at that time of morning, but I must say the vehicle looked superb. Didn't stick around more than 2 minutes, although I was told by just about everyone in Maths after lunchtime that most had enjoyed an ice cream. Tongue I imagine most didn't even pay attention to the bus, hmm...

Didn't bother with any of the merchandise, as the launch wasn't officially started by the point I went to take a look, and to be honest, I don't see what is so good about the goodies that come with all forms of transport launches.

Regarding the X66 Streetlites, I had a ride on 5392 (GHD-MCE) and 5394 (MCE-GHD) this evening. Was very saddened to find the new bus smell was somewhat dwindling on both, but other than that, the vehicles were top-notch; plus the seats weren't too bad either! Wink
(24 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I went to the launch on my way to school with some friends. Rather than head straight into school, we made our way down to the market place for 08:20, and 5397 was sitting there as I had been informed beforehand.

Took a few photos, not too great because of the lighting at that time of morning, but I must say the vehicle looked superb. Didn't stick around more than 2 minutes, although I was told by just about everyone in Maths after lunchtime that most had enjoyed an ice cream. Tongue I imagine most didn't even pay attention to the bus, hmm...

Didn't bother with any of the merchandise, as the launch wasn't officially started by the point I went to take a look, and to be honest, I don't see what is so good about the goodies that come with all forms of transport launches.

Regarding the X66 Streetlites, I had a ride on 5392 (GHD-MCE) and 5394 (MCE-GHD) this evening. Was very saddened to find the new bus smell was somewhat dwindling on both, but other than that, the vehicles were top-notch; plus the seats weren't too bad either! Wink

Think it's a thing of people want to keep them as a piece of memrebillia  
(24 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Regarding the X66 Streetlites, I had a ride on 5392 (GHD-MCE) and 5394 (MCE-GHD) this evening. Was very saddened to find the new bus smell was somewhat dwindling on both, but other than that, the vehicles were top-notch; plus the seats weren't too bad either! Wink
I got on 5394 on Monday and it was rammed heading towards Gateshead when I got on at Riverside, I ended up sitting on the edge luggage rack thingy, ready to go through the Windscreen Head First due to the way I was facing, nevertheless I really enjoyed my brief ride on 5394, certainly quite speedy.
(24 Apr 2015, 6:30 pm)Robert wrote Found yet another picture... This time a frontal shot of 6121:

Are they going to refurbish them?
Banned
(24 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Are they going to refurbish them?

I think they are brand new
Site Administrator
(24 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm)Davie wrote I think they are brand new

The four Volvo B9s are dealer stock, though have received some attention prior to delivery.

It's already been noted that they have Civic V2 seating rather than the seating the rest of the dealer stock B9s have.
(24 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm)Davie wrote I think they are brand new

Ex dealer stock and no, i dont think there are any plans to refurbish them. Citaro, do uour job Tongue 
(24 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm)Robert wrote Ex dealer stock and no, i dont think there are any plans to refurbish them. Citaro, do uour job Tongue 

Scania deckers coming very soon.

Wonder how long it will take to paint and re furb them... Thorntons or elsewhere
(24 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm)pdiddy wrote Scania deckers coming very soon.

Wonder how long it will take to paint and re furb them... Thorntons or elsewhere

03s p diddy, how long will they last on the X21 if they end up there? Maybe this is a stop gap until a Volvo B8 demo might be tried on there??
Banned
(24 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm)Robert wrote 4979:

[Image: 17254801972_46bf09b5ed.jpg]4979 NK54 NUJ by mcwmetrobus2001, on Flickr
Looks sparkly 
(24 Apr 2015, 6:30 pm)Robert wrote Found yet another picture... This time a frontal shot of 6121:
The front blind reminds me of the Lothian buses and also some of the London ones 
(24 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Are they going to refurbish them?
More than likely but it's 50%
(24 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm)pdiddy wrote Scania deckers coming very soon.

I think they will look a bit like 3975 for eg except without the dual door 

BG registration - Birmingham - not a local 'N'.

Not yet 'taxed'.
(24 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm)Robert wrote Ex dealer stock and no, i dont think there are any plans to refurbish them. Citaro, do uour job Tongue 

They will be fitted with the provision of free Wi-Fi but I can't see any major changes occurring.
(24 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm)Sidthebusbabe wrote They will be fitted with the provision of free Wi-Fi but I can't see any major changes occurring.

I know but that isnt refurbishing them as such. When he said 'refurbishment' i think he was referring to the seats and poles etc. However as they already have e-leather seating, there would be no need.
Site Administrator
(24 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm)nk55 wrote 03s p diddy, how long will they last on the X21 if they end up there? Maybe this is a stop gap until a Volvo B8 demo might be tried on there??

No point trying out the Volvo B8RLE single deck when double deck capacity is needed - especially at peak times. The reason why the former "Cobalt Clipper" branded Mercedes Citaros didn't go on there is because there would be capacity issues.
(25 Apr 2015, 5:51 am)Dan wrote No point trying out the Volvo B8RLE single deck when double deck capacity is needed - especially at peak times. The reason why the former "Cobalt Clipper" branded Mercedes Citaros didn't go on there is because there would be capacity issues.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are volvo not doing a double deck version of the B8, maybe B8TL?
Site Administrator
(25 Apr 2015, 6:15 am)nk55 wrote Correct me if i'm wrong, but are volvo not doing a double deck version of the B8, maybe B8TL?

I believe the Volvo B8TL is being made available in chassis form for selected body builders, for use in tri-axle buses. Presumably the Chinese market rather than the market in the UK.

http://www.volvobuses.com/bus/global/en-...mId=130573&News.Language=en-gb
(24 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm)Robert wrote I know but that isnt refurbishing them as such. When he said 'refurbishment' i think he was referring to the seats and poles etc. However as they already have e-leather seating, there would be no need.

Not necessarily 'Refurbishment' but it is still an addition to buses by Go North East, so it sort of qualifies. I personally don't really think refurbishment is necessary because they are already fitted to quite a high standard.
Look at this comment about the leather seats on the GNE FB page...

Please reconsider your decision to for leather seats on the 45/46 buses! As well as being sticky when hot etc., so not a good choice for comfort, it's really offputting to vegetarians & vegans like myself, who may also be Hindu, Buddhist etc. or just really care about animals and not want to sit on leather seats. If you choose to use a non-animal fabric, it will make your bus route much more inclusive to everyone. Thanks!

Lmao, just want to comment saying, SHUT THE FUCK UP & FUCK ALL RELIGION'S
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Apr 2015, 8:07 am)Michael wrote Look at this comment about the leather seats on the GNE FB page...

Please reconsider your decision to for leather seats on the 45/46 buses! As well as being sticky when hot etc., so not a good choice for comfort, it's really offputting to vegetarians & vegans like myself, who may also be Hindu, Buddhist etc. or just really care about animals and not want to sit on leather seats. If you choose to use a non-animal fabric, it will make your bus route much more inclusive to everyone. Thanks!

Lmao, just want to comment saying, SHUT THE FUCK UP & FUCK ALL RELIGION'S

The funny thing is, soon there will be no buses running up the derwent corridor with fabric seats (unless a bus is being covered for by a spare vehicle) so he'll have to put up with it. Does the leather even come from animals?
(25 Apr 2015, 8:09 am)Robert wrote The funny thing is, soon there will be no buses running up the derwent corridor with fabric seats (unless a bus is being covered for by a spare vehicle) so he'll have to put up with it. Does the leather even come from animals?

Exactly, i love animals myself, its one of my favorite subjects in Science, Animals should never be killed for something which can profit a person/company, such as rhino's having their horns cut off etc, i hate that but its a seat at end of the day, it gets you from A to B.... and i'll use the C&C buses....... 

I'm not sure if the leather is from an animal
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Apr 2015, 8:16 am)Michael wrote Exactly, i love animals myself, its one of my favorite subjects in Science, Animals should never be killed for something which can profit a person/company, such as rhino's having their horns cut off etc, i hate that but its a seat at end of the day, it gets you from A to B.... and i'll use the C&C buses....... 

I'm not sure if the leather is from an animal

With it being E-leather rather than leather i wasnt sure. These seats are to provide comfort for passengers and not a religious debate. I personally think that the comment was totally unneccessary and i would like to see GNEs response back.
(25 Apr 2015, 8:20 am)Robert wrote With it being E-leather rather than leather i wasnt sure. These seats are to provide comfort for passengers and not a religious debate. I personally think that the comment was totally unneccessary and i would like to see GNEs response back.

You might be right, although i'm sure some can confirm.

They haven't replied yet, i'm also interested to see what they say, honestly are they gonna stop using the service if it has leather seats? NO 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Apr 2015, 8:22 am)Michael wrote honestly are they gonna stop using the service if it has leather seats? NO 

They could always stand.