You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(17 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote My suggestion is an express service reinstated back on the Coast Road with truly fast journeys times between North Tyneside and Newcastle. Buses would operate ANE's 308 route between Whitley Bay and Billy Mill . Between Billy Mill and St Mary's / Haymarket, buses would operate on a strictly limited stop basis only calling at Formica and Willington Square. Buses would operate half hourly Monday to Saturday daytime. The journey times would be as follows from Haymarket:

- Willington Square = 15 minutes / 17 during peak
- Formica = 18 minutes / 20 minutes during peak
- Billy Mill = 20 minutes / 22 minutes during peak
- Jacksons Farm = 23 minutes / 26 during peak
- North Tyne General = 25 minutes / 29 during peak
- Foxhunters = 27 minutes / 32 during peak
- Ice Rink = 29 minutes / 35 minutes during peak
- Whitley Bay Town Centre = 33 minutes / 40 minutes during peak

I have loads of suggestions for North Tyneside, and will post 'em all tomorrow, with my new County Durham express services Smile
(17 Mar 2014, 10:01 pm)Tom wrote I have loads of suggestions for North Tyneside, and will post 'em all tomorrow, with my new County Durham express services Smile

#LetTom'sNEBusRouteMarathonsCommence
(17 Mar 2014, 10:04 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote #LetTom'sNEBusRouteMarathonsCommence

Not sure they're marathons haha! Tongue
Was thinking of a Wallsend to Washington service via Jarrow and Heworth... Wink
(17 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm)aureolin wrote Operated by E400s? Tongue

Haha, it'll probably be Lolynes more if GNE actually implemented my above idea or even worse, ex WTX B10BLE's! :p
(17 Mar 2014, 10:05 pm)Tom wrote Not sure they're marathons haha! Tongue
Was thinking of a Wallsend to Washington service via Jarrow and Heworth... Wink

So basically the 1/4/9/27/80/88/88A/M2/M2A and M3 combined then Haha, Sounds Awesome Wink
I'll explain in more detail tomorrow, but here:

1 - Revised route, no major changes.
1X - New service from Newcastle, Wallsend and Cobalt to Whitley Bay and Marden.
40/41 - Same as before, every 30 minutes.
40A - North Shields-Hadrian Park-Wallsend, every 30 minutes.
41A - Whitley Bay-Hadrian Park-Wallsend, every 30 minutes.
80 - North Shields-Tynemouth-Rake Lane-North Shields, every 30 minutes.
81 - North Shields-Rake Lane-Tynemouth-North Shields, every 30 minutes.
Marxista Fozzski
Thinking about the East Durham Services...

I have probably mentioned this before...

How about a new service

New 203
Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park-Hawthorn-Easington-Village-Peterlee 1PH
Have it go the 202 route round Murton (Station Estate-Wellfield Road-Barnes Road-Woods Terrace)

New Service 202
Murton Station-Dalton Park-A19-Peterlee-Horden-Blackhall-Hartlepool 1PH

Yes it may cut off South Hetton from Murton and Dalton Park, but whenever I use the 202, I see hardly anybody use it between Murton-Easington Lane/South Hetton and the loss of a service between Murton and Seaham, but that could be sorted with

New 61A
South Hetton-Easington Lane-Murton-Dalton Park-Fox Cover-Seaham-The Coast Road-Ryhope-Sunderland
This would cover the loss of the 202 between South Hetton and Seaham, keep the 61 timetable as it is, but have 1ph going out as 61A,

With the modified 202 and new 203, it would give Murton-Peterlee a quicker journey time

Also with the 203 suggestion, I would suggest that some early and later on services also include Rainton Bridge and Possibly EDC, NW and Bracken Hill Industrial Estates

I have other ideas on my mind, but I will probably be treading old ground
(18 Mar 2014, 12:08 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Thinking about the East Durham Services...

I have probably mentioned this before...

How about a new service

New 203
Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park-Hawthorn-Easington-Village-Peterlee 1PH
Have it go the 202 route round Murton (Station Estate-Wellfield Road-Barnes Road-Woods Terrace)

New Service 202
Murton Station-Dalton Park-A19-Peterlee-Horden-Blackhall-Hartlepool 1PH

Yes it may cut off South Hetton from Murton and Dalton Park, but whenever I use the 202, I see hardly anybody use it between Murton-Easington Lane/South Hetton and the loss of a service between Murton and Seaham, but that could be sorted with

New 61A
South Hetton-Easington Lane-Murton-Dalton Park-Fox Cover-Seaham-The Coast Road-Ryhope-Sunderland
This would cover the loss of the 202 between South Hetton and Seaham, keep the 61 timetable as it is, but have 1ph going out as 61A,

With the modified 202 and new 203, it would give Murton-Peterlee a quicker journey time

Also with the 203 suggestion, I would suggest that some early and later on services also include Rainton Bridge and Possibly EDC, NW and Bracken Hill Industrial Estates

I have other ideas on my mind, but I will probably be treading old ground

Nice suggestions, but a lot of the East Durham Network has to stay the same except for minor changes, their was a clause from DCC when GNE took them on commercially, as GNE had to maintain the links between certain areas which were secured and not commercially viable. I wonder if GNE is making a small profit on the East Durham services otherwise it would probably be back in the hands of DCC with either Arriva or Scarlet band running the services or GNE breaking even or small loss but not wanting Arriva or Scarlet band going in more GNE area.

when the renowns came off the X7, while the bus still has the X logo then GNE could of done a experimental X8 for 6 months for a service: Sunderland-Grangetown-Ryhope-Seaham Mill Inn-top of Seaham Avenue junction-Dalton Park-Easington then all stops to Peterlee and Hartlepool, and see what the takens is like.

Marxista Fozzski
(18 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm)cbma06 wrote Nice suggestions, but a lot of the East Durham Network has to stay the same except for minor changes, their was a clause from DCC when GNE took them on commercially, as GNE had to maintain the links between certain areas which were secured and not commercially viable. I wonder if GNE is making a small profit on the East Durham services otherwise it would probably be back in the hands of DCC with either Arriva or Scarlet band running the services or GNE breaking even or small loss but not wanting Arriva or Scarlet band going in more GNE area.

How does that deal work then, have DCC dictated that GNE MUST run the East Durham Network to there say-so in order to for some of there routes to be secured. Really looking at my idea, the change would not be life changing, South Hetton already has the X35 linking Peterlee, and the extended 61A would cover for the loss of South Hetton-Murton-Seaham, but rules are rules I guess(they are made to be broken ;-)

cbma06 wrotewhen the renowns came off the X7, while the bus still has the X logo then GNE could of done a experimental X8 for 6 months for a service: Sunderland-Grangetown-Ryhope-Seaham Mill Inn-top of Seaham Avenue junction-Dalton Park-Easington then all stops to Peterlee and Hartlepool, and see what the takens is like.

Interesting idea, for what it is worth, the idea I was toying with was to extend the X36 to Hartlepool, pretty similar to your idea, but going on the A19 to Peterlee from Dalton Park
(18 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm)fozzovmurton wrote How does that deal work then, have DCC dictated that GNE MUST run the East Durham Network to there say-so in order to for some of there routes to be secured. Really looking at my idea, the change would not be life changing, South Hetton already has the X35 linking Peterlee, and the extended 61A would cover for the loss of South Hetton-Murton-Seaham, but rules are rules I guess(they are made to be broken ;-)

Interesting idea, for what it is worth, the idea I was toying with was to extend the X36 to Hartlepool, pretty similar to your idea, but going on the A19 to Peterlee from Dalton Park

l received an email from DCC Transport section before GNE took the services on commercial and their said in the email that GNE still has to maintain the key links where it wasn't commercial and also the early journey times in certain timetables.

ive sent loads of proposed routes and changes for the East Durham area over the past few years.

The extension of the 260 via Easington Colliery was one of them, even though their extended service 208 to replace the 260, I told GNE that by the time the 260 arrives at Easington Lane to Peterlee that the X35 is always just in front or running together with the 260 and its the same route to peterlee minus the 260 diverted to the old South Hetton terminus which takes in about 2 minutes on journey time, and since awhile ago the Easington MP and residents complained about Arriva withdrawing their direct service to Durham, then GNE might get more passengers going to Durham from Easington Colliery as the 260 wasn't hardly picking up passengers between Easington Lane and Peterlee due to the X35.

Ive already mentioned about proposed X36 to Hartlepool some time ago, copy:

Hello Go North East,

Just a couple of suggestions:

options on service X35/X36:

option A:

Why doesn't GNE run the X35 as a through service at Sunderland Interchange? the service has 7minutes layover before it goes out onto X36 to Newcastle which is nothing and it has about 20 minutes layover in Sunderland before it heads off to Hartlepool (it roughly takes about 10 minutes to get the passengers on board at Sunderland Interchange anyway as most passengers wait for this service to Houghton etc... instead of the 35 series), and run it as X35 between Hartlepool and Newcastle with it a split service at Sunderland Interchange as what GNE did with registering the X7 twice at Peterlee.

option B:

Run the X35 hourly between Hartlepool and Newcastle but half hourly between Peterlee bus station and Sunderland Interchange and run the X36 Newcastle to Hartlepool with a half hourly between Sunderland and Newcastle with X35, and extend the X36 from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Grangetown, Ryhope, Seaham Inn, Dalton Park, Easington Village to Peterlee bus station, then the X35 and X36 still be a joint 30 minute service between Peterlee and Hartlepool. it would take in customers off the Arriva 23 from Hartlepool and the Arriva service 24 between Peterlee and Sunderland and it would be more limited stop between Peterlee and Sunderland.

Marxista Fozzski
(18 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm)cbma06 wrote l received an email from DCC Transport section before GNE took the services on commercial and their said in the email that GNE still has to maintain the key links where it wasn't commercial and also the early journey times in certain timetables.

ive sent loads of proposed routes and changes for the East Durham area over the past few years.

The extension of the 260 via Easington Colliery was one of them, even though their extended service 208 to replace the 260, I told GNE that by the time the 260 arrives at Easington Lane to Peterlee that the X35 is always just in front or running together with the 260 and its the same route to peterlee minus the 260 diverted to the old South Hetton terminus which takes in about 2 minutes on journey time, and since awhile ago the Easington MP and residents complained about Arriva withdrawing their direct service to Durham, then GNE might get more passengers going to Durham from Easington Colliery as the 260 wasn't hardly picking up passengers between Easington Lane and Peterlee due to the X35.

Ive already mentioned about proposed X36 to Hartlepool some time ago, copy:

Hello Go North East,

Just a couple of suggestions:

options on service X35/X36:

option A:

Why doesn't GNE run the X35 as a through service at Sunderland Interchange? the service has 7minutes layover before it goes out onto X36 to Newcastle which is nothing and it has about 20 minutes layover in Sunderland before it heads off to Hartlepool (it roughly takes about 10 minutes to get the passengers on board at Sunderland Interchange anyway as most passengers wait for this service to Houghton etc... instead of the 35 series), and run it as X35 between Hartlepool and Newcastle with it a split service at Sunderland Interchange as what GNE did with registering the X7 twice at Peterlee.

option B:

Run the X35 hourly between Hartlepool and Newcastle but half hourly between Peterlee bus station and Sunderland Interchange and run the X36 Newcastle to Hartlepool with a half hourly between Sunderland and Newcastle with X35, and extend the X36 from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Grangetown, Ryhope, Seaham Inn, Dalton Park, Easington Village to Peterlee bus station, then the X35 and X36 still be a joint 30 minute service between Peterlee and Hartlepool. it would take in customers off the Arriva 23 from Hartlepool and the Arriva service 24 between Peterlee and Sunderland and it would be more limited stop between Peterlee and Sunderland.

Well I personally I think the Sunderland-Hartlepool down the coast is worth thinking about...

Just a thought on it, does it have to include Peterlee, why not just follow the 23 as far as Hardon and keep on going, didn't United/Arriva 230 do that at some point

Sunderland-Grangetown-Ryhope-New Seaham-Dalton Park-Easington Village-Easington Colliery-Horden-Blackhall-Hartlepool

Pygalls claimed to do Sunderland-Hartlepool in 50 minutes, surely with a bit of effort GNE could match that no problem
(18 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Well I personally I think the Sunderland-Hartlepool down the coast is worth thinking about...

Just a thought on it, does it have to include Peterlee, why not just follow the 23 as far as Hardon and keep on going, didn't United/Arriva 230 do that at some point

Sunderland-Grangetown-Ryhope-New Seaham-Dalton Park-Easington Village-Easington Colliery-Horden-Blackhall-Hartlepool

Pygalls claimed to do Sunderland-Hartlepool in 50 minutes, surely with a bit of effort GNE could match that no problem

And Pygall's didn't find much money in it otherwise it would have survived, no? It's getting dropped completely as of next week...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Marxista Fozzski
(18 Mar 2014, 2:32 pm)tyresmoke wrote And Pygall's didn't find much money in it otherwise it would have survived, no? It's getting dropped completely as of next week...

GNE could make it work if they wanted, I would imagine there Marketing and Promotion is a bit more powerful than Pygalls
Orginally the 230 was losing a lot of patronage and most of journeys were carrying fresh air so half of the service was changed to a 229 providing a 30 minute service with the 230 (229 went via Peterlee Bus Station while the 230 went via Easington Colliery and Horden) eventually 229 came off and the 230 (now 23) goes to Peterlee Bus station.

Pygalls only did the 230 due to whinging passengers in the Horden area with no direct bus to Sunderland and Hartlepool when Arriva pulled the 23 out of Horden as it was eating into their timmings of the 23 and decided not to accept any more money from DCC, even though passengers could of boarded the East Durham buses in Horden area and then transfer onto the X35 for onward travel.

Only problem with Pygalls doing the service is that their got no day or week tickets which could be used on other bus services.

(18 Mar 2014, 2:49 pm)marxistafozzski wrote GNE could make it work if they wanted, I would imagine there Marketing and Promotion is a bit more powerful than Pygalls

I think Pygalls would of lasted abit longer if VOSA didn't intervene because of Pygalls minor in fraction.

Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(18 Mar 2014, 3:44 pm)cbma06 wrote I think Pygalls would of lasted abit longer if VOSA didn't intervene because of Pygalls minor in fraction.

Out of interest, What was Pygalls infractions???
(18 Mar 2014, 6:44 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Out of interest, What was Pygalls infractions???

It was something to do with Pygalls registration of the buses/coaches were stored at a different address than what it says on the paperwork that VOSA has, l came across it on VOSA publications but this was awhile ago.

I've been thinking that despite the 309 being a good route, it can get caught up in congestion around the Cobalt Business Park. My idea to combat the congestion for the 309 and to slightly decrease journey times would be this:

- Between New York and Cobalt Central, instead of operating the current route, operate it via Silver Fox Way then in a clockwise direction via P&G, EE, Santander then down Quicksilver Way past the Quadrant then back to normal route towards Atmel and Battle Hill. Buses towards Whitley Bay and Blyth between Cobalt Central and New York would operate via normal route to Santander then, buses would turn right towards New York via Quicksilver Way / Quadrant and Silver Fox Way.

- By doing so, the 309 would be able to miss the congestion at the traffic lights at the Park Lane Junction and the congestion at the Silverlink North roundabout near West Allotment.

- To replace the links that would be lost with a reroute of service 309, service 40 would be extended every 30 minutes (60 minutes evenings and Sundays) from Hadrian Park to Whitley Bay. Buses between Middle Engine Lane and Whitley Bay would operate the same route as service 309. Through fares would be available to purchase to make up for lost links caused by a 309 reroute (for instance, Blyth to NEDL with a connection anywhere between Whitley Bay and New York or Park Lane to Newcastle with a connection anywhere between Cobalt and Battle Hill Drive Bodmin Close on services 309 or 310).
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a few routes for just in case Crook closes and Bishop gets re-instated (It's never gonna happen, but it would be an interesting thought). Bishop closed when I was very young you see, but I can remember one of the routes being the 9 if memory serves, and that was the same as now the 18, and also the 104 to Newfield. I really should have asked Pat Armstrong yesterday when she was supervisor (seeing as she worked for OK, got merged into Bishop then got transferred to Chester in 2000), because she is the type of driver who does a route then never forgets it. If anyone could remember any of the old Bishop depot routes, please tell me the number and destination.

Cheers,
Marcus
(23 Mar 2014, 10:29 am)Marcus wrote Hi everyone,

I'm planning a few routes for just in case Crook closes and Bishop gets re-instated (It's never gonna happen, but it would be an interesting thought). Bishop closed when I was very young you see, but I can remember one of the routes being the 9 if memory serves, and that was the same as now the 18, and also the 104 to Newfield. I really should have asked Pat Armstrong yesterday when she was supervisor (seeing as she worked for OK, got merged into Bishop then got transferred to Chester in 2000), because she is the type of driver who does a route then never forgets it. If anyone could remember any of the old Bishop depot routes, please tell me the number and destination.

Cheers,
Marcus

Have a look in the bygone era.
There are GNE, ANE and OK timetables in there that may be of some use.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
If the people of Prudhoe wanted the original 604 service back, then I've got an idea:

- 10 and 10A will remaim the same with minor timetable changes to accommodate a new service 10B.

- Current service 11 will be revises to operate under the TEN brand as service 10B. A new 60 minute frequency would be introduced during evenings and Sundays on top of the current Monday to Saturday daytime service. Buses between Blaydon and Newcastle will have the same stopping arrangements as the other two TEN services do.

- The old 604 route would be brought back under service 11 operating the same route as the original. All journeys would operate via Scotswood Road and Newcastle Business Park. The frequency would be every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday with evening and Sunday journeys operating every 60 minutes. It would also come under the Toon Link Brand.

- Service 10 and a new service 11 would provide a bus upto between every 10 and 20 minutes combined during the day between Prudhoe and Newcastle. During the evenings, it would be every 30 minutes combined.
With the 57 and 58 having a lot in common and basically following each other around Leam Lane est, is there much scope to adapt the routes more, so that there is some variation?

It could help improve numbers on the 57, especially as the only decent stretch of the route, which is unique, is in Beacon Lough.
(26 Mar 2014, 8:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote With the 57 and 58 having a lot in common and basically following each other around Leam Lane est, is there much scope to adapt the routes more, so that there is some variation?

It could help improve numbers on the 57, especially as the only decent stretch of the route, which is unique, is in Beacon Lough.

I get the point you're trying to make but I really don't think that the 57/58 have that much in common.

They share similar routes between Newcastle and Split Crow Road before diverging. Both routes then converge on Woodburn towards Staneway (where they briefly diverge again) before heading down Wealcroft to Fewster Square then onto Meresyde. After Meresyde, the two routes split with the 57 going to Wardley; and the 58 to Heworth.

As I don't use the 57 (I think the last time I used it was around 15 years ago) I have no idea what passenger numbers are like so there may well be some scope for improvement. However, I have delivered to houses around Beacon Lough Estate and the housing is quite dense. From this I'd assume that the 57 was reasonably well used by residents of the estate.

If the routes were changed what would you suggest? - I really can't think of anything which wouldn't add extra time onto either route.
(26 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm)AdamY wrote I get the point you're trying to make but I really don't think that the 57/58 have that much in common.

They share similar routes between Newcastle and Split Crow Road before diverging. Both routes then converge on Woodburn towards Staneway (where they briefly diverge again) before heading down Wealcroft to Fewster Square then onto Meresyde. After Meresyde, the two routes split with the 57 going to Wardley; and the 58 to Heworth.

As I don't use the 57 (I think the last time I used it was around 15 years ago) I have no idea what passenger numbers are like so there may well be some scope for improvement. However, I have delivered to houses around Beacon Lough Estate and the housing is quite dense. From this I'd assume that the 57 was reasonably well used by residents of the estate.

If the routes were changed what would you suggest? - I really can't think of anything which wouldn't add extra time onto either route.

Putting the 57 into the Citylink Brand alongside the 58 would be a Good Idea I think as the 57 will receive New Buses later this Year, As for Route Changes i'm not to sure what to do with them really.

57/57A - Wardley - Heworth - Leam Lane Estate - Beacon Lough Estate - Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle - Coast Road - Battle Hill Drive - Hadrian Park - Howdon - Wallsend - Byker - Newcastle - Gateshead - Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Beacon Lough Estate - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth - Wardley

Would work a Clockwise/Anti Clockwise Loop Every 30 Minutes in Both Directions - Every 15 Minutes Combined between Newcastle - Hadrian Park - Wallsend - Byker - Newcastle

58/58A - Heworth - Leam Lane Estate - Felling Square - Deckham - Gateshead - Newcastle - Byker - Wallsend - Howdon - Cobalt - Willington Square - Newcastle - Gateshead - Deckham - Felling Square - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth

Would work a Clockwise/Anti Clockwise Loop Every 20 Minutes in Both Directions - Every 10 Minutes Combined between Newcastle - Cobalt - Wallsend - Byker - Newcastle
(26 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm)AdamY wrote I get the point you're trying to make but I really don't think that the 57/58 have that much in common.

I imagine anyone waiting between Meresyde - Woodburn heading towards Gateshead will have a preferred bus.
Others may get the first bus that arrives.
A modern, frequent 58 or the quieter 57.
I haven't checked the timetables, but I cant see there being much difference in journey time - maybe the 57 edges it.
There is also the 51/52 on Whealcroft.

Looking at the routes last night, I couldn't think of much variation, as the majority of Leam Lane is covered - apart from maybe sending it down Whitehill Drive and Colegate to Fewster Square, so it isn't following the 58 around the estate.
If it were me, then I guess I'd choose the 57 as it appears to operate a more direct route down Old Durham Road as opposed to Windy Nook, Felling Square and Deckham. A quick look at the timetables confirms that this is true - the 57 takes 30 minutes between Fewster Square and Newcastle whereas the 58 takes 34 minutes although the 4 minute difference between may be reduced depending on the level of traffic congestion on Old Durham Road towards the QE.

As stated earlier, both buses do not follow the exact same route between Meresyde and Woodburn as there is a slight variation between Staneway and Wealcroft. If we are to ignore that variation then there is approx 1.35 (1.2 vs. 1.5) miles of route and, if included, there is approx 0.9 miles of route which both routes share around Leam Lane Estate. Both routes serve different functions as some residents may travel to the QE while others may want to travel towards Felling Square. Given these considerations and the minimal distance shared (inevitable and unavoidable in some cases), it's hardly worth changing the route in my opinion. I just don't see the point.
No idea on timings, but if anyone wishes to work them out.

Split the x1 into two services on a 20min frequency (10mins each).

Easington Lane - Galleries - Newcastle via Wrekenton and QE

Easington Lane - Galleries - Newcastle via A167/Harlow Green and Low Fell.