You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Summer Fares Offer
(03 Sep 2021, 12:30 pm)Drifter60 wrote Go North East’s North Tyneside includes all of ‘North Tyneside’ as we know it plus all of Newcastle and Cramlington, Ashington and Blyth from Northumberland.

I'm just interested how the 'Newcastle isn't in Borough of Gateshead so it shouldn't be included in the Gatehsead Borough ticket' mob will defend the decision to include Newcastle (and Ashington, Blyth, Cramlington..) in tbe North Tyeside ticket, despite not being in North Tyneside....

Aside from that, I think it is a positive step and I hope cheaper fares available on a more permanent basis going forward.
(03 Sep 2021, 12:38 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I'm just interested how the 'Newcastle isn't in Borough of Gateshead so it shouldn't be included in the Gatehsead Borough ticket' mob will defend the decision to include Newcastle (and Ashington, Blyth, Cramlington..) in tbe North Tyeside ticket, despite not being in North Tyneside....

Aside from that, I think it is a positive step and I hope cheaper fares available on a more permanent basis going forward.

I'm sure the total monopoly they have in Gateshead vs competition in North Tyneside is the prevailing factor
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(03 Sep 2021, 2:07 pm)Ambassador wrote I'm sure the total monopoly they have in Gateshead vs competition in North Tyneside is the prevailing factor

How cynical of you to suggest such a thing  Rolleyes

It's all about boundaries, man, boundaries.....
(03 Sep 2021, 7:09 pm)misfit wrote Just wondering about "the desert" that is South Tyneside.

There's already a South Tyneside saver, priced the same as these offers, which covers the remaining area.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(03 Sep 2021, 7:21 pm)Adrian wrote There's already a South Tyneside saver, priced the same as these offers, which covers the remaining area.

How on earth they can justify it being more expensive to get from Jarrow or Hebburn or Pelaw to Newcastle versus the Northumberland is beyond me. Surely shorter journeys should be encouraged via cycling or public transport (yes I know the metro is an issue - large parts of those afore mentioned places aren’t covered by it)
(03 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm)Ambassador wrote How on earth they can justify it being more expensive to get from Jarrow or Hebburn or Pelaw to Newcastle versus the Northumberland is beyond me. Surely shorter journeys should be encouraged via cycling or public transport (yes I know the metro is an issue - large parts of those afore mentioned places aren’t covered by it)

I've had a couple of vinto tintos and haven't really been following this latest update.
From what I can gather, you're saying it's cheaper to travel in to Newcastle from Northumberland, than it is from Pelaw?!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(03 Sep 2021, 9:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote I've had a couple of vinto tintos and haven't really been following this latest update.
From what I can gather, you're saying it's cheaper to travel in to Newcastle from Northumberland, than it is from Pelaw?!

Yep, Blyth and Ashington in the North Tyneside zone so max single journey is £1.70, £3.10 return

More expensive to get from Gateshead Civic Centre to Newcastle than from Ashington. Utterly obsence
(03 Sep 2021, 10:19 pm)Ambassador wrote Yep, Blyth and Ashington in the North Tyneside zone so max single journey is £1.70, £3.10 return

More expensive to get from Gateshead Civic Centre to Newcastle than from Ashington. Utterly obsence

See, when I first read your post, I thought it was the wine blurring things a bit.
I'm all for cheaper fares, but I'm struggling to get my head around that one.
Will come back in the morning to try and make more sense of it.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(03 Sep 2021, 10:19 pm)Ambassador wrote Yep, Blyth and Ashington in the North Tyneside zone so max single journey is £1.70, £3.10 return

Surely not?  That is absolutely bonkers if true.  Maybe we are getting a toll on the Tyne Bridge after all - just not for cars!
Will GNE put promotional stickers on the Cobalt & Coast B9TL's advertising the fare? (On the bottom of the upper deck windscreen)

I'd imagne there won't be much in it between Station Road & Newcastle as Arriva have always been cheap but between Blyth & Preston Grange would be interesting.
(04 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm)deanmachine wrote Not true.

I was charged £1.90 to get from Gateshead Civic Centre to Newcastle on the 28 yesterday. 

Regardless of that, Gateshead is getting screwed because the prominent operator has a monopoly having ran everyone else out of business or taken them over and they don’t have the luxury of Arriva to win lower fares to Newcastle.
(05 Sep 2021, 9:20 am)idiot wrote One of the things that gets me is that a 10 min journey costs £3.60 as your crossing boundaries.

The maximum single GNE fare with the new fares offer is £3.50.
(05 Sep 2021, 9:20 am)idiot wrote One of the things that gets me is that a 10 min journey costs £3.60 as your crossing boundaries.

Tyne and Wear boundary no doubt. It's because of the Transfare tickets I believe which pretty much caps what they can rip people off by in T&W. I know it used to be cheaper to get a single from Seghill to Annitsford then Annitsford to Newcastle than Seghill to Newcastle because of it.
(05 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm)deanmachine wrote The maximum single GNE fare with the new fares offer is £3.50.
Sorry its a typo.. East Boldon to Newcastle Rd, SoL.
Why haven't GNE yet added a strapline for the £1.70 fare on the bottom of the upper deck windscreen, on the Cobalt & Coast B9TLs?

Even something like "£1.70 maximum single fare", unless they don't want to further run the risk of aggrivating Arriva to retaliate with their own offers?
(14 Nov 2021, 9:34 am)L469 YVK wrote Why haven't GNE yet added a strapline for the £1.70 fare on the bottom of the upper deck windscreen, on the Cobalt & Coast B9TLs?

Even something like "£1.70 maximum single fare", unless they don't want to further run the risk of aggrivating Arriva to retaliate with their own offers?
That's just business isn't it?
(14 Nov 2021, 9:34 am)L469 YVK wrote Why haven't GNE yet added a strapline for the £1.70 fare on the bottom of the upper deck windscreen, on the Cobalt & Coast B9TLs?

Offer might not last forever and avoids added expense of placing then removing the vinyls
(15 Nov 2021, 12:50 am)Ambassador wrote Offer might not last forever and avoids added expense of placing then removing the vinyls

This.

Considering all operators have just signed up to a BSIP and now committing to working towards an EP, I think fare tactics like this may also be a rarity going forward.

The BSIP for example wants to rationalise the frequency on the coast road, essentially stopping the competition there and putting everyone into line.
(15 Nov 2021, 7:37 am)RobinHood wrote This.

Considering all operators have just signed up to a BSIP and now committing to working towards an EP, I think fare tactics like this may also be a rarity going forward.

The BSIP for example wants to rationalise the frequency on the coast road, essentially stopping the competition there and putting everyone into line.

It's a positive move, if it means the resource used to overbus places like the Coast Road, Cobalt and so on, is then reinvested in other parts of the network. Although I'd like to think that the BSIP would also see the benefit of simplified daytime, flexible ticketing and cheap evening fares, when trying to grow patronage across the network. 

It's pointless having a BSIP if it just means more of the same but with more back-patting.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook