You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016
(12 Feb 2016, 7:45 am)aliance wrote 4 of those VLA's should be going to ashington to allow 4 ALX400 to jesmond

The 4 MAX VLWs are currently displacing 4 DLAs to Jesmond, whatever is coming to upgrade the 35 will displace further DLAs to Jesmond.
(12 Feb 2016, 8:26 am)GX03 SVC wrote The 4 MAX VLWs are currently displacing 4 DLAs to Jesmond, whatever is coming to upgrade the 35 will displace further DLAs to Jesmond.

technically I am just going to wait and see what happens because arriva make plans for things to happen then time comes and those plans change. for example the 4 x20 buses should all be branded for the x20 but as you may notice 7412 has Quick links to Newcastle branding.
(11 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm)Jimmi wrote Think there has been risks of vandalism in the area you live in for years, even back when it was service 213 heading through there. Scarlet Band have also had some problems over that way: http://www.durhamtimes.co.uk/news/106895...port_boss/

It's funny because our end of the village is so quiet but I quite often walk little'un down to school and wonder what the hell has been going on. It's not a particularly rough estate, but there's a good reason why you can buy a house for £25k, down there!
(11 Feb 2016, 8:36 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Shocking how,will commuters get home

I agree. Should not be allowed to change services without registration changes. The police should be catching the offenders instead of the passengers suffering.
(12 Feb 2016, 11:09 am)Cock Robin wrote I agree. Should not be allowed to change services without registration changes. The police should be catching the offenders instead of the passengers suffering.

Or at least missing out the area, but still getting to both end destinations as a compromise.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I was once had an experience on the Compass Royston service 555(?) from Billingham. I wanted to change onto a Hartlepool bound 1 at Port Clarence at around 8pm. The driver told me they didn't go into Port Clarence at night due to vandals. I explained my predicament about getting back to H'pool and he reluctantly agreed he would drop me off at the first stop in the village an the condition he would turn off the interior lights to be less noticeable!
(12 Feb 2016, 11:18 am)Andreos1 wrote Or at least missing out the area, but still getting to both end destinations as a compromise.

(12 Feb 2016, 11:09 am)Cock Robin wrote I agree. Should not be allowed to change services without registration changes. The police should be catching the offenders instead of the passengers suffering.

Safety at work act stipulates that an employer is responsible for providing a safe system of work, and also a safe place of work. They also have to carry out risk assessments.

If they've felt the situation posed a safety issue for staff, then they've made the right call.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 Feb 2016, 11:18 am)Andreos1 wrote Or at least missing out the area, but still getting to both end destinations as a compromise.

That's what the 22 did, when it was having problems.

There was also a problem when we had that 3 months of lying snow, back in 2010 and DCC ran short of grit. The 22 had to leave out the unsalted estate and just serve the high Street instead. Should it have been made to put drivers and passengers at risk until all the red tape had been unravelled?
(12 Feb 2016, 8:26 am)GX03 SVC wrote The 4 MAX VLWs are currently displacing 4 DLAs to Jesmond, whatever is coming to upgrade the 35 will displace further DLAs to Jesmond.

it was mentioned on here a while back that 4 of these  buses will be upgrading 35
(12 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote That's what the 22 did, when it was having problems.

There was also a problem when we had that 3 months of lying snow, back in 2010 and DCC ran short of grit. The 22 had to leave out the unsalted estate and just serve the high Street instead. Should it have been made to put drivers and passengers at risk until all the red tape had been unravelled?

I am not sure I understand the question, but the 64A missing out the problem area, but still running to the Trunk Road seems better than turning it short.

Just like the 22 did in your example.
(12 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote I am not sure I understand the question, but the 64A missing out the problem area, but still running to the Trunk Road seems better than turning it short.

I don't think you understand where the issue on the 64a is. The terminus of the 64a is the roundabout on the Trunk Road and the issue is between there and Whale Hill Shops. Without a massive diversion, there's no way the 64a can complete its journey. The safest place to turn round is Whale Hill Shops so that's why they are cutting it short. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that doesn't become a permeant terminus on an evening if things don't improve.
The issue, as in all these situations, is driver and passenger safety. It's a sad thing to say that I would be a strong advocate of not running any services at all after 7pm of an evening except perhaps routes, for example service ANE 5/5a Middlesbrough - Loftus: SNE Service 36 Middlesbrough - Hartlepool. It's a difficult situation for operators to address but somewhere, someday someone is going to be seriously injured or heaven forbid, worse, by the antics and attitudes of these mindless morons.
(12 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I don't think you understand where the issue on the 64a is. The terminus of the 64a is the roundabout on the Trunk Road and the issue is between there and Whale Hill Shops. Without a massive diversion, there's no way the 64a can complete its journey. The safest place to turn round is Whale Hill Shops so that's why they are cutting it short. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that doesn't become a permeant terminus on an evening if things don't improve.

I know exactly where the terminus is.
I have literally just passed it - no idea how.long the pub has been boarded up for like. There is a roadkill fox between the A66 roundabout and the one with the pub at the moment.
It only takes two seconds on a map to see where the issue is.

The 64a could easily divert along Greystone Road and maintain the link between the terminus and Eston.
How long would that add to the journey?
(12 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote I know exactly where the terminus is.
I have literally just passed it - no idea how.long the pub has been boarded up for like. There is a roadkill fox between the A66 roundabout and the one with the pub at the moment.
It only takes two seconds on a map to see where the issue is.

The 64a could easily divert along Greystone Road and maintain the link between the terminus and Eston.

Why? Why not just sack it after 7pm and save all the grief. What are the passenger numbers / revenue like for pities sake. Operators can't afford to run services through "bomb allies" where the cost of replacing windows and worse is prohibitive.
(12 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm)scania driver wrote Why? Why not just sack it after 7pm and save all the grief. What are the passenger numbers / revenue like for pities sake. Operators can't afford to run services through "bomb allies" where the cost of replacing windows and worse is prohibitive..

Why keep a service going and divert away from problem areas? Cos passengers need a service and it works for the operator commercially.
If the section between Eston and The Magnet didnt work, I imagine it would have been curtailed prior to the issues with bricks and whatever else is being thrown.

Diverting the service away from the problem area, with very little (if any additional time needed) - but maintains key links...
Not sure what the issue is.
(12 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote Why keep a service going and divert away from problem areas? Cos passengers need a service and it works for the operator commercially.
If the section between Eston and The Magnet didnt work, I imagine it would have been curtailed prior to the issues with bricks and whatever else is being thrown.

Diverting the service away from the problem area, with very little (if any additional time needed) - but maintains key links...
Not sure what the issue is.

Be interesting to hear just what the passenger numbers actually are and if the operator, in this case Arriva, gets any support from the local authority. Personally from my experiences of travelling these routes I can't see how an operator can afford / justify operating them without support.
(12 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm)scania driver wrote Be interesting to hear just what the passenger numbers actually are and if the operator, in this case Arriva, gets any support from the local authority. Personally from my experiences of travelling these routes I can't see how an operator can afford / justify operating them without support.

They're all run commercially as barely anything is funded these days! Having said that, buses on a night do not make money as it is without the added cost of vandalism so if this continues I would expect to see the service curtailed permanently.
(12 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote I am not sure I understand the question, but the 64A missing out the problem area, but still running to the Trunk Road seems better than turning it short.

Aye. Just countering the indignation that ANE dared to withdraw the 64A from the area concerned without going through the process of registering the change beforehand. It was a rhetorical question Smile
(12 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote The 64a could easily divert along Greystone Road and maintain the link between the terminus and Eston.

And still, you miss what is presently the evening terminus of Whale Hill Shops. And I don't believe there's a stop in Grangetown on that side of the roundabout on the Trunk Road.

As had been said, what is now the 64a is a commercial service introduced in October 2011 when Redcar and Cleveland Council reduced their Bus Funding to early morning (794, 746/747) only and took some daytime runs in-house (752, 758/759, Guisborough Towns). Everything on evenings and Sundays was withdrawn and initially Arriva's replacement commercial services (22a replaced the eastern part of the 789, 64b replaced the 794/795 and the 48a replaced the 748 and also the 22 in New Marske) only operated during the day on Sundays before the 64b was introduced on an evening (operated by Stockton depot initially as well). As said as well, given the current issues along the Grangetown section of the 64a on a night, I wouldn't be at all surprised if in July, it isn't either cut short to say Eston or Whale Hill, or even scrapped entirely (which then saves Redcar a bus on an evening).
Evening services may not make much or any money at all, but it's a double edged sword. You continue to withdraw evening services, and you end up driving away commuters working unsociable hours. This has a knock on weekly and monthly multi trip tickets.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 Feb 2016, 7:31 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Aye. Just countering the indignation that ANE dared to withdraw the 64A from the area concerned without going through the process of registering the change beforehand. It was a rhetorical question Smile

If the change is permanent, then aye - the issue needs dealt with down the official channels.
For something unplanned or done at immediate notice, then no.
The reporting process could take as long to complete as the temporary measure. RBeauracracy gone mad if it is going to be reported.

The 71 used to suffer issues with parked cars near Avenue Vivien, this often meant the service missing that part of the route when heading to Chester.. As it was temporary then no changes were made with VOSA.
When the 36 was introduced to replace the 71 they decided to omit the area completely.

I remember the 194 and 27 missing out certain areas way back when temporarily and then permanently, due to issues.
It didnt affect the areas beyond as an alternative route was identified
(12 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm)scania driver wrote Why? Why not just sack it after 7pm and save all the grief. What are the passenger numbers / revenue like for pities sake. Operators can't afford to run services through "bomb allies" where the cost of replacing windows and worse is prohibitive.

You have a great idea of customer service I must say.
(12 Feb 2016, 7:51 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And still, you miss what is presently the evening terminus of Whale Hill Shops. And I don't believe there's a stop in Grangetown on that side of the roundabout on the Trunk Road.

As had been said, what is now the 64a is a commercial service introduced in October 2011 when Redcar and Cleveland Council reduced their Bus Funding to early morning (794, 746/747) only and took some daytime runs in-house (752, 758/759, Guisborough Towns). Everything on evenings and Sundays was withdrawn and initially Arriva's replacement commercial services (22a replaced the eastern part of the 789, 64b replaced the 794/795 and the 48a replaced the 748 and also the 22 in New Marske) only operated during the day on Sundays before the 64b was introduced on an evening (operated by Stockton depot initially as well). As said as well, given the current issues along the Grangetown section of the 64a on a night, I wouldn't be at all surprised if in July, it isn't either cut short to say Eston or Whale Hill, or even scrapped entirely (which then saves Redcar a bus on an evening).

Could go down to Whale Hill shops, double back then do Greystokes Road.

(12 Feb 2016, 8:43 pm)Adrian wrote Evening services may not make much or any money at all, but it's a double edged sword. You continue to withdraw evening services, and you end up driving away commuters working unsociable hours. This has a knock on weekly and monthly multi trip tickets.

Exactly.
Does any one know if LJ51 DJD is staying at ashington or will it move back to the depot it came from
(13 Feb 2016, 2:11 pm)aliance wrote Does any one know if LJ51 DJD is staying at ashington or will it move back to the depot it came from

This and 7486 should go back to Redcar for the summer, possibly released by the VLA (B7TL/ALX400) coming in from refurb (ex London).
The MAX ones will be used on the 46 (and unfortunately 48 as a result) in Durham while the Ashington ones should be used on the 35. This should push a handful of DAF deckers to Jesmond, kicking off a number of vehicle cascades - some interesting ones - in order to replace the DAF Cadets at Stockton
(13 Feb 2016, 6:06 pm)tyresmoke wrote This and 7486 should go back to Redcar for the summer, possibly released by the VLA (B7TL/ALX400) coming in from refurb (ex London).
The MAX ones will be used on the 46 (and unfortunately 48 as a result) in Durham while the Ashington ones should be used on the 35. This should push a handful of DAF deckers to Jesmond, kicking off a number of vehicle cascades - some interesting ones - in order to replace the DAF Cadets at Stockton

thanks just wanted to know
Banned
(13 Feb 2016, 6:06 pm)tyresmoke wrote This and 7486 should go back to Redcar for the summer, possibly released by the VLA (B7TL/ALX400) coming in from refurb (ex London).
If the 35/35A become MAX what will happen to the Streetlite's on their?
(13 Feb 2016, 7:21 pm)Davie wrote If the 35/35A become MAX what will happen to the Streetlite's on their?

I believe the VLAs for Ashington arnt going to be MAX. Correct me if I'm wrong though