Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
|
Go North East: Most Boring/Interesting Routes
18 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm,
RE: Go North East: Most Boring/Interesting Routes
The 20 is nice once it gets to the bank where west rainton is. Can see a long way, completely bleak apart from that section though.
18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm,
(18 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm)Jamie M wrote The 20 is nice once it gets to the bank where west rainton is. Can see a long way, completely bleak apart from that section though.

The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

Up around West Rainton is our secret shortcut to the Arnison centre for when Durham is too congested to contemplate. Used it, mostly, when I lived in Hetton Le Hole, for a while, but until we got our current car, have used it occasionally, since. It's single lane, most of the way, with a hairy turn onto a narrow bridge, at once point, plus a risk of encountering horses, but you emerge at one point to a place where (as a passenger) you can look down a long way into a valley that the Wear runs through (it's not right wide at that point, so is fast moving) and then, when you've retrieved your breakfast, carry on to the shops, via Finchale abbey.

We haven't taken out current car (Avensis Tourer) there because it's significantly wide than the old Avensis we had and Husband doesn't feel safe with it. Plus, the road is a lot busier than it used to be, which means a lot more pulling over or facing people off who won't pull over when you can't.
18 Apr 2016, 10:55 pm,
(18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

You can just see the Angel of the North from the spot mentioned above!
The part between East Herrington to Sheilds is quite bland though.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
19 Apr 2016, 7:20 am,
(18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

Up around West Rainton is our secret shortcut to the Arnison centre for when Durham is too congested to contemplate. Used it, mostly, when I lived in Hetton Le Hole, for a while, but until we got our current car, have used it occasionally, since. It's single lane, most of the way, with a hairy turn onto a narrow bridge, at once point, plus a risk of encountering horses, but you emerge at one point to a place where (as a passenger) you can look down a long way into a valley that the Wear runs through (it's not right wide at that point, so is fast moving) and then, when you've retrieved your breakfast, carry on to the shops, via Finchale abbey.

We haven't taken out current car (Avensis Tourer) there because it's significantly wide than the old Avensis we had and Husband doesn't feel safe with it. Plus, the road is a lot busier than it used to be, which means a lot more pulling over or facing people off who won't pull over when you can't.

Cocken Road.
Use it quite a bit too. It has become a bit of a rat run.
Saved the day in the early 2000's when I was living in the Gilesgate areas and snow had brought Durham to a halt.
Ironic when you look at that road, compared to the road network in Durham.

It was closed for a good while last year.
They have been doing work on the bridge recently too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
23 Apr 2016, 8:52 pm,
Went on the 689 for the first time today from Consett to Hexham, this is one of the nicest routes I have been on and scenery is lovely.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
23 Apr 2016, 9:39 pm,
(23 Apr 2016, 8:52 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Went on the 689 for the first time today from Consett to Hexham, this is one of the nicest routes I have been on and scenery is lovely.

And you didn't even pick the loveliest day to do it on!

I was surprised how busy it was. I bet it gets packed in summer.
23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm,
The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.
23 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm,
(23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm)Davie wrote The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.

Even past the beer bottle house? Tongue
23 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm,
(23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm)Davie wrote The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.

When it goes on that endless tour of social housing estates in Sunderland...I start questioning why I'm on it
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
23 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm,
(23 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm)Ambassador wrote When it goes on that endless tour of social housing estates in Sunderland...I start questioning why I'm on it

Oh aye.

Mixing it up with the x35 again!
24 Apr 2016, 12:26 am,
(23 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Even past the beer bottle house? Tongue

Hartlepool's finest!
27 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm,
X10 during the week isn't the most interesting with most of it being A19. The Sunday one has more variation of scenery with going to Peterlee and Billingham.

27 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm,
(27 Apr 2016, 7:17 pm)TEN 6083 wrote X10 during the week isn't the most interesting with most of it being A19. The Sunday one has more variation of scenery with going to Peterlee and Billingham.

The best bit of the X10 is the other passengers nodding off!
12 May 2016, 7:15 pm,
Really quite liked the 9 full journey, quite fun to see the back route that bypasses the toll.
12 May 2016, 7:19 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:15 pm)Jamie M wrote Really quite liked the 9 full journey, quite fun to see the back route that bypasses the toll.

Boring after that though! Can't stand it going all the way to Sunderland, normally get off at Boldon or Jarrow and get the 9 which is normally behind. Some of the Vykings fly up the road past the Greyhound Stadium.
12 May 2016, 7:27 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:19 pm)Tom wrote Boring after that though! Can't stand it going all the way to Sunderland, normally get off at Boldon or Jarrow and get the 9 which is normally behind. Some of the Vykings fly up the road past the Greyhound Stadium.

Since I've only done the full route, I've only had the pleasure of taking this trip on an omnicity. It certainly didn't fly, but didn't bore me.
12 May 2016, 7:29 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:27 pm)Jamie M wrote Since I've only done the full route, I've only had the pleasure of taking this trip on an omnicity. It certainly didn't fly, but didn't bore me.

Ah the Omnicities are good, the ex Oxford B10s aren't the best though
12 May 2016, 7:34 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:19 pm)Tom wrote Boring after that though! Can't stand it going all the way to Sunderland, normally get off at Boldon or Jarrow and get the 9 which is normally behind. Some of the Vykings fly up the road past the Greyhound Stadium.

I often do the same with the 9, it just seems more fun if you do the Jarrow - Sunderland stretch on a double decker. Don't mind the 9 route so much, especially like going through the tunnel. Still dream of getting a double decker for a full journey to North Shields though as I'd like to go through the tunnel on a decker.
12 May 2016, 7:39 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:34 pm)Jimmi wrote I often do the same with the 9, it just seems more fun if you do the Jarrow - Sunderland stretch on a double decker. Don't mind the 9 route so much, especially like going through the tunnel. Still dream of getting a double decker for a full journey to North Shields though as I'd like to go through the tunnel on a decker.

If you try the journey at about half 5 Mon-Fri from North Shields that is normally a decker - might be too late getting the last 21 back to Darlo though?
12 May 2016, 7:46 pm,
(12 May 2016, 7:39 pm)Tom wrote If you try the journey at about half 5 Mon-Fri from North Shields that is normally a decker - might be too late getting the last 21 back to Darlo though?

Looking at the timetables as part of the upcoming changes for the 9 and 21/X21, the 9 leaves North Shields at 17:22 and arrives at Park Lane for 18:24, then the X21/21 leaves Park Lane on the last run to Newton Aycliffe at 18:30, so it is possible to do such trip, may give it a go one day and hopefully I'll be in luck! Smile