You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
(24 Sep 2016, 7:27 am)L469 YVK wrote What would be the ideal bus for the Blyth express services?

I know that the Enviro 400 has come a long way since the Euro 4 examples (7501-7513).

That batch of E400's would have been fine on the Blyth express routes, and still would be, if they hadn't been hammered on the X93 and the Northumberland coastal routes for a good few years of their lives.

Another thing worth taking note of, is that those that started out at Ashington (7507-13) are generally in better condition than those that started out at Blyth (7501-6). I know it was 7501-4 that were used on the X93 mainly, but then Ashington used pretty much all of theirs on the coastal routes pre-Sapphire.
(24 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm)mb134 wrote That batch of E400's would have been fine on the Blyth express routes, and still would be, if they hadn't been hammered on the X93 and the Northumberland coastal routes for a good few years of their lives.

Another thing worth taking note of, is that those that started out at Ashington (7507-13) are generally in better condition than those that started out at Blyth (7501-6). I know it was 7501-4 that were used on the X93 mainly, but then Ashington used pretty much all of theirs on the coastal routes pre-Sapphire.

Yes 7501-6 started out at Blyth on the 308 route (foot down all the way, always late) for 3 years or so before transferring to Ashington. By then most were suffering from the same lack of power problem as the current Wrights at Blyth. However Ashington fitters seemed to be able to cure this problem whilst us Blyth drivers stuggle to overtake push bikes in defective vehicles thanks to our clueless fitters.
(24 Sep 2016, 7:55 pm)Driver9*** wrote Yes 7501-6 started out at Blyth on the 308 route (foot down all the way, always late) for 3 years or so before transferring to Ashington. By then most were suffering from the same lack of power problem as the current Wrights at Blyth. However Ashington fitters seemed to be able to cure this problem whilst us Blyth drivers stuggle to overtake push bikes in defective vehicles thanks to our clueless fitters.
There's more to it than simply clueless fitters. Ashington have always been good at most things because of good management.
(24 Sep 2016, 7:55 pm)Driver9*** wrote Yes 7501-6 started out at Blyth on the 308 route (foot down all the way, always late) for 3 years or so before transferring to Ashington. By then most were suffering from the same lack of power problem as the current Wrights at Blyth. However Ashington fitters seemed to be able to cure this problem whilst us Blyth drivers stuggle to overtake push bikes in defective vehicles thanks to our clueless fitters.

I'm assuming you've drove both here, which did you prefer to drive as a driver?

Out of the Geminis that are 'alright', are they good enough vehicles to run an express service with, or is it constant foot down and not making up any time? Smile
(23 Sep 2016, 8:09 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Because they were supposed to be moving on - plus there was plenty of Pulsars at Blyth to be done.

Likelihood is the X22 going MAX will just see some of Stockton's own Pulsars being MAX'd. After all, likely the increase of running boards requiring MAX vehicles will see 4 done to add an extra spare.

As likely as me becoming a supermodel.
i don't think ashington have gave the x20 vehicle allocation much though. I think the VLA's are the more appropriate choice as 7412/7413/7414/7415 are not very good at getting the power to go up the spine road at high speed also I think they should have branded up the Volvo b7tl wright Gemini buses for the 35/35A as they seem to handle the service better.
(24 Sep 2016, 9:03 pm)mb134 wrote I'm assuming you've drove both here, which did you prefer to drive as a driver?

Out of the Geminis that are 'alright', are they good enough vehicles to run an express service with, or is it constant foot down and not making up any time? Smile

The Gemini's that are running well are more than up to the job, however all are limited to 50 due to "The axle not being able to handle faster speeds" which of course is total bollocks. The speed limiter failed on one a while back and it was capable of 65 on a level road without complaint. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to refer to all of Blyth's fitters as clueless, maintenance budget constraints come into play as well....
(25 Sep 2016, 8:32 am)Driver9*** wrote The Gemini's that are running well are more than up to the job, however all are limited to 50 due to "The axle not being able to handle faster speeds" which of course is total bollocks. The speed limiter failed on one a while back and it was capable of 65 on a level road without complaint. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to refer to all of Blyth's fitters as clueless, maintenance budget constraints come into play as well....

I think the problem as well is that Arriva don't have a 7/8 - 1 rule like GNE do in terms of spares although they do have spares.

If there were appropriate spares put aside for every 7 same type of buses, preventitive maintenance could be carried out at an early stage to prevent such issues occurring. Cummins aren't a bad engine at all but they need well looking after.
(25 Sep 2016, 8:45 am)L469 YVK wrote I think the problem as well is that Arriva don't have a 7/8 - 1 rule like GNE do in terms of spares although they do have spares.

If there were appropriate spares put aside for every 7 same type of buses, preventitive maintenance could be carried out at an early stage to prevent such issues occurring. Cummins aren't a bad engine at all but they need well looking after.

Some of the 61 plate Gemini's are not even five years old yet have spent half their lives running in limp mode. God knows if it will ever be resolved but I think Arriva have a claim in against Cummins regarding the problem. Hard to believe that between them that neither has come up with a solution, its hardly rocket science is it?!
(25 Sep 2016, 9:13 am)Driver9*** wrote Some of the 61 plate Gemini's are not even five years old yet have spent half their lives running in limp mode. God knows if it will ever be resolved but I think Arriva have a claim in against Cummins regarding the problem. Hard to believe that between them that neither has come up with a solution, its hardly rocket science is it?!

If you take 7514-21, and compare them to the 2009 Geminis, the E400s would run away with it. As I believe both use the same Cummins engine, surely the engine can not be the sole reason that majority of the Geminis are shot?
The Geminis at Blyth are barely touching 35 going up the slip road from Wideopen onto the A1, I had 7522 on a X21 last night and it was accelerating up it!

Have the new engines made much difference to the running of the Geminis?
(25 Sep 2016, 9:54 am)GX03 SVC wrote The Geminis at Blyth are barely touching 35 going up the slip road from Wideopen onto the A1, I had 7522 on a X21 last night and it was accelerating up it!

Have the new engines made much difference to the running of the Geminis?

I'm not sure which ones have had new engines fitted recently, but they all seem to fall into three main groups:

Run fine: 7608, 7611, 7612, 7614, 7621, 7622, 7623

Run fine for a while, then need fixing, "fixed" for a while then go bad again: 7602, 7604, 7605, 7606, 7607, 7624

Been hopeless for a long time: 7601, 7603, 7613, 7615, 7616, 7617, 7625
(25 Sep 2016, 9:51 am)mb134 wrote If you take 7514-21, and compare them to the 2009 Geminis, the E400s would run away with it. As I believe both use the same Cummins engine, surely the engine can not be the sole reason that majority of the Geminis are shot?

But even then, Stagecoach operate their Enviro 400s with the exact same Gearbox / Engine combination as the Wright Pulsar Gemini DB300s without any major issues although Stagecoach tend to stay put around Newcastle and it's suburbs but still, must still be pretty demanding work for them when they'd be driven quite hard to keep to time etc with the traffic in the City Centre.

Did Wrightbus not set their turbo configuration up differently as you can hear the distinctive voith whine on a Stagecoach Enviro 400 but Arriva's DB300s feel a lot more labored in comparison.
(25 Sep 2016, 10:11 am)L469 YVK wrote But even then, Stagecoach operate their Enviro 400s with the exact same Gearbox / Engine combination as the Wright Pulsar Gemini DB300s without any major issues although Stagecoach tend to stay put around Newcastle and it's suburbs but still, must still be pretty demanding work for them when they'd be driven quite hard to keep to time etc with the traffic in the City Centre.

Did Wrightbus not set their turbo configuration up differently as you can hear the distinctive voith whine on a Stagecoach Enviro 400 but Arriva's DB300s feel a lot more labored in comparison.

Note that while the gearbox and engine combo are indeed the same, The E400 uses the 250hp Variant to the VDL Gemini, Which uses the 205hp variant.
I also believe the Wright bodywork is heavier than the E400's, Which puts yet more strain on a underpowered Engine.
The fact that the Geminis have a Voith in them compared to the 6-Speed ZF Ecolife in the Euro 5 E400s puts strain on the Geminis too.

The thing about the axles is indeed bollocks, As the same front axle is used in the Euro 5 E400 and a similar one on the rear, And can get up to 65mph easily in them.

One last thing, Does anyone know what " new engine " is getting put in the Geminis?
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(25 Sep 2016, 10:04 am)Driver9*** wrote I'm not sure which ones have had new engines fitted recently, but they all seem to fall into three main groups:

Run fine: 7608, 7611, 7612, 7614, 7621, 7622, 7623

Run fine for a while, then need fixing, "fixed" for a while then go bad again: 7602, 7604, 7605, 7606, 7607, 7624

Been hopeless for a long time: 7601, 7603, 7613, 7615, 7616, 7617, 7625

7603 and 7607 have has new bigger engines fitted in the last couple of months, old engines were like chocolate, lasted the best part of 5 minutes!
(25 Sep 2016, 10:54 am)GX03 SVC wrote 7603 and 7607 have has new bigger engines fitted in the last couple of months, old engines were like chocolate, lasted the best part of 5 minutes!

Drove 7603 a few days ago and it is utter shite, probably the slowest of the lot. 7607 is running well (at the moment).

Mind I'm surprised they only produce 205hp, thought it would have been more than that.
Might be the wrong place to put this but does anyone know what type of vehicles are on the 300/301 between Stevenage and St Albans? And also how much is a day ticket for this service, I'm fancying doing it on my weeks holiday from work
(25 Sep 2016, 9:25 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Might be the wrong place to put this but does anyone know what type of vehicles are on the 300/301 between Stevenage and St Albans? And also how much is a day ticket for this service, I'm fancying doing it on my weeks holiday from work
ADL E300 with ZF boxes although Pulsars and Volvo B7RLEs do appear regularly.

Day ticket is £7.60 for just Arriva or for an all operator Explorer it is £8.50
(27 Sep 2016, 2:09 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Rumour has it that 4653 and 4659 are supposedly transferring to Darlington for the X21

I doubt it as the allocation for two X20 boards are now those!
What is allocated to the 8:50 and 9:50 X93's on a Saturday (I think they're the extra's)?
(27 Sep 2016, 4:20 pm)Y935 ERG wrote What is allocated to the 8:50 and 9:50 X93's on a Saturday (I think they're the extra's)?

It should be the two MAX B7TLs - if both are available for service. You would hope if they aren't that 7485 would be allocated but it could literally be anything from Redcar...
(27 Sep 2016, 4:23 pm)Kuyoyo wrote It should be the two MAX B7TLs - if both are available for service. You would hope if they aren't that 7485 would be allocated but it could literally be anything from Redcar...

Cheers Kuyoyo, always thought the 9:50 was allocated a single decker.
The Chronicle has an article out about Arriva putting their Jesmond depot up for sale, supposedly part of a big "relocation plan" any idea where they're going next?
(27 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm)Cobalt271 wrote The Chronicle has an article out about Arriva putting their Jesmond depot up for sale, supposedly part of a big "relocation plan" any idea where they're going next?

GCT Tongue
(27 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm)Cobalt271 wrote The Chronicle has an article out about Arriva putting their Jesmond depot up for sale, supposedly part of a big "relocation plan" any idea where they're going next?

Have they got a new location lined up?