You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Poll: Which type of mobile phone do you have?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Apple iOS 8 (19.51%)
Android 25 (60.98%)
Windows Phone 4 (9.76%)
Blackberry 1 (2.44%)
Other (or non-smartphone) 3 (7.32%)
* You voted for this item. Total: 41 vote(s) (100%)
RE: Mobile Phones
(15 Mar 2015, 8:13 pm)mb134 wrote Has anyone else seen this :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ulator2015
Downloaded it earlier and it seems pretty good Smile Lot's of ad's between each level though, although you can easily skip them. 

Aye I have that.

There's a cheeky cheat to get points.

There's a level that starts in a large layby on a hill, just leave the layby, turn left and then re-enter the layby and park in the bus stop! Points received for basically turning in a circle haha
Mobile Phones
Just thought I'd update you about my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

I am quite liking it, runs so much smoother than my Windows phone did, still some things I need to sort out including the ringtones and notification noises as they are all the same noise at the moment although I can tell which notification is which became there is a light above the screen and it comes with a different colour for each notification (Tapatalk is yellow and Flickr is white). Internet browser seems to work better when I have poor signal.

Hopefully it will last longer than most of my phones do.

My dad bought a new phone today, it is a old fashioned Nokia brick thing with an actual keypad. If you want to know how old fashioned it is, it has Snake
(03 Apr 2015, 4:45 pm)Jimmi wrote My dad bought a new phone today, it is a old fashioned Nokia brick thing with an actual keypad. If you want to know how old fashioned it is, it has Snake

There's nowt wrong with old Nokias. The fact that they're still in demand and use around fifteen years since they came onto the market should tell you all you need to know  Wink
(03 Apr 2015, 4:51 pm)MurdnunoC wrote There's nowt wrong with old Nokias. The fact that they're still in demand and use around fifteen years since they came onto the market should tell you all you need to know  Wink

That or some people really just really want to play Snake.

There good if you aren't really interested in Internet or any other fancy features and only want to use it purely as a mobile telephone which is why they are probably still around.

Some of these phones around today are too complicated for some people which is partly why some opt for the old simple styled phones.
(03 Apr 2015, 4:56 pm)Jimmi wrote That or some people really just really want to play Snake.

There good if you aren't really interested in Internet or any other fancy features and only want to use it purely as a mobile telephone which is why they are probably still around.

Some of these phones around today are too complicated for some people which is partly why some opt for the old simple styled phones.

I remember having one of these. I think I'd have probably been in my last year at school?

[Image: Nokia_8210.jpg]
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Marxista Fozzski
(03 Apr 2015, 6:03 pm)Jimmi wrote Think I had one a bit like this until I was about 15

The Nokia 3310 is totally indestructible.

(03 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I still have a 3210 which I occasionally use when I'm at work.

It looks a bit battered but it's nothing a new casing wouldn't fix.
I had a 3210, 3310 and 3330 over time, between them went off so many walls, chucked on the ground, ended up in bits and still worked after I put them back together, my 3310 even fell into a couple of toilets and worked still when dried out...

The Nokia 3310 is the only man made thing that would survive a world destructing nuclear bomb Big Grin
Mobile phones are so unnecessary these days.

Why do they need cameras, Internet, google and Microsoft office and games.

Who would want to take photos, publish them then print them on their phone. Why play some addictive game, that gives the company profit from cheats to bypass a level that can't be completed?

Buy a computer and buy an old Nokia.
(04 Apr 2015, 9:17 am)Tommy_1581 wrote Mobile phones are so unnecessary these days.

Why do they need cameras, Internet, google and Microsoft office and games.

Who would want to take photos, publish them then print them on their phone. Why play some addictive game, that gives the company profit from cheats to bypass a level that can't be completed?

Buy a computer and buy an old Nokia.

It's so everything is in one place, making everything easier. 

Most people these days will have a Smartphone of some kind, companies know this. Most phones are as powerful as some laptops, computers etc. 

For the camera point, it saves buying an additional device for most people, my phone has a 20.7 MP camera, so for the few photos I do take this is more than adequate. 
Marxista Fozzski
(04 Apr 2015, 9:26 am)mb134 wrote It's so everything is in one place, making everything easier. 

Most people these days will have a Smartphone of some kind, companies know this. Most phones are as powerful as some laptops, computers etc. 

For the camera point, it saves buying an additional device for most people, my phone has a 20.7 MP camera, so for the few photos I do take this is more than adequate. 
Must admit, I kinda agree with Tommy, but I also agree with you, it is handy, I have a 13mp Camera which suits me, I play football manager and lets face it without mobiles of this kind there would be no NEB on the move
(04 Apr 2015, 10:26 am)MrFozz wrote Must admit, I kinda agree with Tommy, but I also agree with you, it is handy, I have a 13mp Camera which suits me, I play football manager and lets face it without mobiles of this kind there would be no NEB on the move
I wouldn't be replying to this is if my phone didn't have the Internet.

I like having a camera on my phone as it means I can sometimes catch odd workings if I don't have my camera. I tried to get a shot of a Drifter StreetLite on the 2 last Saturday night (normal evening working) which sounds such a sad thing to do on a night out although if it had turned out I would not have to go to Sunderland late one night at some point in the future (providing I actually do this at some point).
Site Administrator
My new Samsung Galaxy S6 (64GB) was delivered earlier today. Transferring all the content from my old S4 to my new phone now, but will report back with my review later!
(23 Apr 2015, 5:33 pm)Dan wrote My new Samsung Galaxy S6 (64GB) was delivered earlier today. Transferring all the content from my old S4 to my new phone now, but will report back with my review later!

1 review: Batteries are shit in all Galaxy phones after a while. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(23 Apr 2015, 5:36 pm)Michael wrote 1 review: Batteries are shit in all Galaxy phones after a while. 

That's one disadvantage to the new Galaxy S6. They're no longer using a removable battery as per its predecessors.

I think Samsung said in a press release that it should definitely last a year or two before there's any noticeable loss of battery life in the new S6's battery, but they're offering a service to replace the batteries at a cost of around £35. Those who opt for the high-end flagship phones tend to renew their phones after 2 years, anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

To be honest, after you've spent £600+ on the phone, a replacement battery after a year costing £35 is nothing. Even those who hand the phone down to a family member or friend afterwards can enjoy the S6 in two years time if it's got a replacement battery.

(23 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Crap.

What makes you think this?

The specification of the new Galaxy S6 easily makes the phone one of the best flagship mobile phones on the market right now.

The design of previous Galaxy S range models has been criticised, though the S6 has adopted an 'Applesque' design, making it a little more easier on the eye. Gone are the days of a flagship being made out of plastic - the latest Gorilla Glass is the present and future! The S6 Edge looks even better than the S6, but sadly isn't worth paying an extra £150 for as it doesn't add a great deal of functionality. 
I can't justify spending that much money on a S6. I have an S3 still and bought an extended battery off Amazon, ive done a lot of emailing and texting today social media etc and its now just on 37%.

Other morning we had a bad morning association wise, and a colleuege in the association I'm in was on the phone as much as me - and his ipHone needed charging - whilst my S3 was still on 61%.
(23 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm)idiot wrote I can't justify spending that much money on a S6. I have an S3 still and bought an extended battery off Amazon, ive done a lot of emailing and texting today social media etc and its now just on 37%.

Other morning we had a bad morning association wise, and a colleuege in the association I'm in was on the phone as much as me - and his ipHone needed charging - whilst my S3 was still on 61%.

Agreed on the cost.
I was very tempted with the Xperia aureolin suggested and even though I am mainly 'on the road' and need a decent phone, with decent spec - I couldn't justify spending that much money. Even though it would be doubling up as my office and I tried really hard to justify it, I couldn't.

If I worked 9-5 in an office, 5 days a week, 20 days a month - I would struggle even more to justify spending that much money on a phone. To spend all that money then not be able to use it for the majority of its contract, due to being behind a desk and having access to a computer and desk phone...
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
(23 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Crap.
Nothing wrong with Samsung...

I would not have any other brand of phone, I have had Blackberry, HTC and Sony Ericsson and always ended back with a Samsung...

When my contract is up, I will probably opt for the S6, Note 4 or whatever is new in 12 months time
(24 Apr 2015, 8:45 am)Andreos1 wrote Agreed on the cost.
I was very tempted with the Xperia aureolin suggested and even though I am mainly 'on the road' and need a decent phone, with decent spec - I couldn't justify spending that much money. Even though it would be doubling up as my office and I tried really hard to justify it, I couldn't.

If I worked 9-5 in an office, 5 days a week, 20 days a month - I would struggle even more to justify spending that much money on a phone.  To spend all that money then not be able to use it for the majority of its contract, due to being behind a desk and having access to a computer and desk phone...

Unsurprisingly, I agree with everything you've said here. 

For more or less the same price you can purchase either a mid to top end Windows-based laptop or a entry-level Macbook. You could also purchase a top-end tablet which would have many of the same mobile features.

Besides, in a couple of years time the spec of the S6 will be standard in most mobile phones at a fraction of the cost. Plus, all the bugs (if any) will be ironed out by then.

Site Administrator
In the past, it's always been something of a tradition for me to get a new phone for my birthday with my mam then receiving the model I had. She isn't particularly tech-savvy, so has no desire to buy a new phone for herself up front, but does like to upgrade every year like me, so our arrangement works quite well.

Samsung certainly isn't perfect, and this was proven last year upon the release of its 'S5' model. I broke the tradition of receiving a new phone last year, as I wasn't particularly keen on the S5 at all. I was a lot more hyped up for the S6 - based on the rumours and various leaks from October onwards, most had a good idea it was going to be an excellent flagship device.

I am pleased to report that Samsung has not disappointed me so far. I've tried a couple of things to push the device quite a bit, and the performance is far superior to my old Galaxy S4. I'm using the exact same set-up as before, as I transferred everything across using the "Smart Switch" app, and I was surprised at the difference. I have streamed TV programmes (both with and without a Wi-Fi connection) flawlessly, and I have played memory-intensive games too, and there has been absolutely no lag whatsoever. The graphics are amazing - pictures are so sharp and clear, and those extra pixels have really contributed towards this. I did read that a couple of people had issues relating to battery life with the S6 - I'm a really heavy user, and I've had none whatsoever. I was able to charge my phone from 60% to 100% in about half an hour yesterday, which is incredibly impressive! I must be honest, I thought the whole "fast charging" thing was a bit of a gimmick, but it appears not.

Was slightly disappointed with all of the Marvel Avengers stuff that came in the box... Just seemed like Samsung was trying to make a killing from advertising. Not what you'd expect when you're buying a premium top of the range flagship mobile device - and you certainly don't experience that sort of thing with Apple.

For those that have made comments relating to price:
660 + (12.90 * 12) = £814.80
£814.80 / 365 = £2.23
For truly unlimited data (on Three) and more than enough minutes/texts, with the Galaxy S6, it's costing me roughly £2.23 a day when you split the cost over the next 12 months. A single to the Metrocentre on the X66 costs more than that - so I hardly think the price is breaking the bank! Well worth every penny, in my opinion, though I'm certainly not as frugal as other members of the forum.
Everything is worth what you'd personally pay for it. If you feel you'll get value for money, then who is anyone else to tell you that it's too expensive?

Oh and it's ridiculous to suggest that mobile phones are unnecessary these days. If they were, then why is IT seeing such a channel shift from traditional to cloud? People want to be able to work on the go, and on mobile devices, which is why the service industry is adopting to that channel shift. Having the likes of your mail, Lync, Office on a device is an absolute life saver! I can quickly fire off responses to mails whilst travelling, without having to lug a laptop around everywhere.
@Dan

What's the battery life like on the S6, just been looking at some stats, and it appears to have a 2550mAH battery, while my Z1 (which is over a year older), has a 3000mAH, seems a bit strange that a phone with a larger processor, more RAM and a larger screen has a smaller battery? 

I'm not against the S6 by any stretch, it just seems that from the outside the battery won't last as long? What are you predicted to get out of it? 
(25 Apr 2015, 8:53 pm)mb134 wrote @Dan

What's the battery life like on the S6, just been looking at some stats, and it appears to have a 2550mAH battery, while my Z1 (which is over a year older), has a 3000mAH, seems a bit strange that a phone with a larger processor, more RAM and a larger screen has a smaller battery? 

I'm not against the S6 by any stretch, it just seems that from the outside the battery won't last as long? What are you predicted to get out of it? 

It surprised me when I seen that, but reviews claim that you'll get slightly better battery performance out of the S6 over the S5 for example? I assume something is drawing less power, and that's likely to be the screen.
(25 Apr 2015, 8:56 pm)aureolin wrote It surprised me when I seen that, but reviews claim that you'll get slightly better battery performance out of the S6 over the S5 for example? I assume something is drawing less power, and that's likely to be the screen.

Aye, I'm not going against what reviews etc say, iI'm sure battery life will be good, however if people look at stats which I'm sure they often do, would they not start to query why? 

Pretty sure it's you who has a Z1 as well? If so, have you noticed any difference in battery life with this "Project Volta"? Smile 
(25 Apr 2015, 9:00 pm)mb134 wrote Aye, I'm not going against what reviews etc say, iI'm sure battery life will be good, however if people look at stats which I'm sure they often do, would they not start to query why? 

Pretty sure it's you who has a Z1 as well? If so, have you noticed any difference in battery life with this "Project Volta"? Smile 

I haven't if I'm honest. I tend to get a full day out of the Xperia without it being on charge though, and I'd consider myself a heavy user. I'm forever doing something with it. 
(25 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote Moderate to heavy use...

That's seriously impressive Big Grin

I'm down to 5%, having taken my phone off charge at 10ish this morning, and having charged it back up to 30% at about 7 this evening... 
(25 Apr 2015, 9:03 pm)aureolin wrote I haven't if I'm honest. I tend to get a full day out of the Xperia without it being on charge though, and I'd consider myself a heavy user. I'm forever doing something with it. 
No I haven't either Undecided 

Aye, if I don't play a silly amount of games while at school, I usually get home with it at about 50-60%, with it near enough running out by 10-10.30

Found this "Ultra STAMINA" mode the other day, went from 34% to 21% in about 10 minutes on standby...