Menu

Pages (12)    17 8 912   
mb134   13 Jan 2016, 10:28 pm
(13 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm)S813 FVK wrote I personally don't believe the excuse that because the vehicle is a different shape, it can't be allocated to a route. There must be something else bigger that we don't know stopping them from being allocated.

I agree, 

If they can't handle it mechanically, I accept that, but a window being a (slightly!!) different shape? I don't believe that for a second.

I think passengers would prefer a bus to turn up, and be a bit late so the driver could slow down for trees, if indeed that is the reason, than for absolutely nothing to turn up instead.
buss14   13 Jan 2016, 11:35 pm
(13 Jan 2016, 10:28 pm)mb134 wrote I agree, 

If they can't handle it mechanically, I accept that, but a window being a (slightly!!) different shape? I don't believe that for a second.

I think passengers would prefer a bus to turn up, and be a bit late so the driver could slow down for trees, if indeed that is the reason, than for absolutely nothing to turn up instead.

i agree as well and wont the same thing appen to a saloon type bus because if you think about it the downstairs windows are still the same height as the sallon bus windows?
Cock Robin   14 Jan 2016, 9:41 am
(13 Jan 2016, 9:22 pm)mb134 wrote That is ridiculous, I'm sorry but that is a shocking policy.

Totally agree!
scania driver   14 Jan 2016, 10:20 am
I'm guessing that the X93 Middlesbrough-Scarborough service, given the route over which it operates, must be hailed as one of Arriva's sucsess stories ? I'm remember, and yes we are going back a few (?) years here, when it was a twice, possibily 3 times, a say service, operated from Loftus depot as a then extension of what, to the best of my recall, was service 58. It was generally operated by BU's, possible those so converted to be dual purpose.  The service has now gone through a variety of "upgrades" and operators with the inevitable spread of vehicle types. Now after a few, shall I say troubled, years, during which passenger numbers despite the problems, have increased immensely and clearly justified the investment in the BTL9's. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread to be asking for peoples thoughts, comments and possibily memories.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   14 Jan 2016, 10:40 am
Ashington and Blyth services to Newcastle are suffering very badly due to the snow, many are well over half an hour late. 

Massive well done to all of the drivers out there this morning who, touch wood, got everyone to work etc safely, I passed a couple of X21's whose drivers were doing an excellent job.
Andreos1   14 Jan 2016, 10:49 am
(14 Jan 2016, 10:20 am)scania driver wrote I'm guessing that the X93 Middlesbrough-Scarborough service, given the route over which it operates, must be hailed as one of Arriva's sucsess stories ? I'm remember, and yes we are going back a few (?) years here, when it was a twice, possibily 3 times, a say service, operated from Loftus depot as a then extension of what, to the best of my recall, was service 58. It was generally operated by BU's, possible those so converted to be dual purpose.  The service has now gone through a variety of "upgrades" and operators with the inevitable spread of vehicle types. Now after a few, shall I say troubled, years, during which passenger numbers despite the problems, have increased immensely and clearly justified the investment in the BTL9's. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread to be asking for peoples thoughts, comments and possibily memories.

There was a specific thread set up at one point about the X93.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=997

I think I outlined my thoughts at the time both in that thread and within the Arriva one - that investment would lead to an improvement to the service. 
Suppose it was a bit 'speculate to accumulate' and it could have backfired big style.
I am glad to see an investment and an apparent subsequent improvement to the service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Michael Euston   14 Jan 2016, 11:09 am
(14 Jan 2016, 10:20 am)scania driver wrote I'm guessing that the X93 Middlesbrough-Scarborough service, given the route over which it operates, must be hailed as one of Arriva's sucsess stories ? I'm remember, and yes we are going back a few (?) years here, when it was a twice, possibily 3 times, a say service, operated from Loftus depot as a then extension of what, to the best of my recall, was service 58. It was generally operated by BU's, possible those so converted to be dual purpose.  The service has now gone through a variety of "upgrades" and operators with the inevitable spread of vehicle types. Now after a few, shall I say troubled, years, during which passenger numbers despite the problems, have increased immensely and clearly justified the investment in the BTL9's. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread to be asking for peoples thoughts, comments and possibily memories.

The journey between Middlesbrough and Scarborough has changed constantly over the last 30 odd years. As far as I am aware, it was mainly Loftus depot buses. For a time, the X56 operated to Scarborough. Service 58 [to Lingdale?] seems likely as well. And 257 as well. All last year the BTL9 seemed to be working well on my visits to Whitby!
scania driver   14 Jan 2016, 11:14 am
(14 Jan 2016, 10:49 am)Andreos1 wrote There was a specific thread set up at one point about the X93.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=997

I think I outlined my thoughts at the time both in that thread and within the Arriva one - that investment would lead to an improvement to the service. 
Suppose it was a bit 'speculate to accumulate' and it could have backfired big style.
I am glad to see an investment and an apparent subsequent improvement to the service.

Thanks Andreos1. I'd forgotten I'd set that thread up. I was originally 'robisdave15'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   14 Jan 2016, 11:14 am
Most Co Durham services have been struggling, too. Have had to cancel a hair appointment as the 22 couldn't get through. The 24 has been struggling through Sherburn hill and the 21/21a has been getting stuck in the trimdons. the 57(?) has only been serving the main road in Kelloe.
Stewy   14 Jan 2016, 11:21 am
(14 Jan 2016, 11:14 am)BusLoverMum wrote Most Co Durham services have been struggling, too. Have had to cancel a hair appointment as the 22 couldn't get through. The 24 has been struggling through Sherburn hill and the 21/21a has been getting stuck in the trimdons. the 57(?) has only been serving the main road in Kelloe.

Darlington currently have the 

08:10 departure 21 stuck at trimdon
09:10 departure 21 stuck at trimdon (moving again 50 minutes late) 

From peterlee 

The 08:45 is stuck heading back to Darlington

The 09:45 is stuck at wingate heading to Darlington 

The 10:45 hasn't run because is should have been the 08:10 off Darlington which is stuck 

The 11:45 is currently 50 minutes late on its pervious journey
Jimmi   14 Jan 2016, 11:27 am
(14 Jan 2016, 11:21 am)Stewy wrote Darlington currently have the 

08:10 departure 21 stuck at trimdon
09:10 departure 21 stuck at trimdon (moving again 50 minutes late) 

From peterlee 

The 08:45 is stuck heading back to Darlington

The 09:45 is stuck at wingate heading to Darlington 

The 10:45 hasn't run because is should have been the 08:10 off Darlington which is stuck 

The 11:45 is currently 50 minutes late on its pervious journey
The 21 route is often an absolute nightmare in weather conditions like this, I've boarded the service in Aycliffe before and there has been no snow or ice, but once it got towards Trimdon there was snow on the ground and the bus was sliding all over the place. Seems the same again today, it's been snowing here but it hasn't laid or anything.
BusLoverMum   14 Jan 2016, 11:35 am
(14 Jan 2016, 11:27 am)Jimmi wrote The 21 route is often an absolute nightmare in weather conditions like this, I've boarded the service in Aycliffe before and there has been no snow or ice, but once it got towards Trimdon there was snow on the ground and the bus was sliding all over the place. Seems the same again today, it's been snowing here but it hasn't laid or anything.

It's 2" deep here and Trimdon's probably similar.

We've had a couple of 22s Durham bound, only apparently 10 minutes (though probably 40 minutes) late. Not seen any Sunderland bound, though. There's a jackknifed lorry on Silent bank - no word if it's cleared yet.

Edit - there we go - a us to Sunderland jus passed. And the one that was heading to Durham a little while back was 40 minutes early, according to the app - must have just turned around at Peterlee, or something.

Doing better than the scarlet band bus, mind. In the past 15 minutes or so, have had 2 heading towards Durham and one seemingly about 45 minute slate, towards hartlepool.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Cock Robin   14 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

Yes it's improved the last year or so, but comfortwise never beaten M'bro Bristol RELH 6149 BHN585H on the 0710 258 M'bro to Scarborough!
Stewy   14 Jan 2016, 12:28 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 11:27 am)IJimmi wrote The 21 route is often an absolute nightmare in weather conditions like this, I've boarded the service in Aycliffe before and there has been no snow or ice, but once it got towards Trimdon there was snow on the ground and the bus was sliding all over the place. Seems the same again today, it's been snowing here but it hasn't laid or anything.

21s are only going as far as peterlee apparently due to adverse weather conditions
omnicity4659   14 Jan 2016, 3:00 pm
First of all, the teams at Ashington and Blyth depots have done a brilliant job today. With problems all over the operating area including Rothbury and Thropton inaccessible for a time and buses stuck in the snow. Many services were almost back to normal by 1300, many drivers were still on their previous bus when they were due to leave on another, but drivers were more than happy to change their runs until the drivers arrived. 

I've watched the network go from a complete meltdown to almost on time within a few hours. Well done to the people involved. 

Today saw a X21, which ran 99 minutes late. That journey is back on time. 

There were no spare buses by 1100, whatever resources were available were being pumped into the routes which have suffered today. At 1200, the Sapphires which left Ashington at about 0900 finally arrived back in a convoy. 

In other news, 7525 has moved from Ashington to Ashington (Under Repair) following a serious RTA last night.
Malarkey   14 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm
Looks like the B7TL ALX400s are on there way - https://www.flickr.com/photos/98853023@N04/24376272235/ - Photo by Ron Elliot.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   14 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 12:28 pm)Stewy wrote 21s are only going as far as peterlee apparently due to adverse weather conditions

We had 6 buses stuck in Trimdon Village alone this morning (2 21s, 2 21As, 2 57As) and then 2 more on the bank :s
mb134   14 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 3:00 pm)GX03 SVC wrote First of all, the teams at Ashington and Blyth depots have done a brilliant job today. With problems all over the operating area including Rothbury and Thropton inaccessible for a time and buses stuck in the snow. Many services were almost back to normal by 1300, many drivers were still on their previous bus when they were due to leave on another, but drivers were more than happy to change their runs until the drivers arrived. 

I've watched the network go from a complete meltdown to almost on time within a few hours. Well done to the people involved. 

Today saw a X21, which ran 99 minutes late. That journey is back on time. 

There were no spare buses by 1100, whatever resources were available were being pumped into the routes which have suffered today. At 1200, the Sapphires which left Ashington at about 0900 finally arrived back in a convoy. 

In other news, 7525 has moved from Ashington to Ashington (Under Repair) following a serious RTA last night.

Aye, by the time I went to the shops for lunch the two I passed were bang on time. 

I happened to see someone today who passed 7525 just after the accident, they had a picture on their phone, (not at all interested in buses, just a passer by), it looks similar to how 7521 looked after it's accident a few years back. Unsure what the damage underneath will be like however.
tyresmoke   14 Jan 2016, 6:01 pm
1906 has now moved from Stockton to Darlington. I believe it was put into use this afternoon at Darlington but should transfer to Yorkshire Tiger eventually. 1103 is due to follow it to Yorkshire also.
Dan   14 Jan 2016, 6:27 pm
(30 Dec 2015, 4:55 pm)tyresmoke wrote 1758 and 1799 have left Blyth for a loan period with Yorkshire Tiger

1758 - https://flic.kr/p/CYGA6o
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   14 Jan 2016, 6:33 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm)mb134 wrote Aye, by the time I went to the shops for lunch the two I passed were bang on time. 

I happened to see someone today who passed 7525 just after the accident, they had a picture on their phone, (not at all interested in buses, just a passer by), it looks similar to how 7521 looked after it's accident a few years back. Unsure what the damage underneath will be like however.

Its estimated that it will take weeks to fully repair the damage. If its not possible, its a write off.
mb134   14 Jan 2016, 6:44 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 6:33 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Its estimated that it will take weeks to fully repair the damage. If its not possible, its a write off.

Aye 7521 was off the road a canny while when that was getting repaired, and it didn't look quite as bad as 7525 does.
tyresmoke   14 Jan 2016, 6:51 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 6:44 pm)mb134 wrote Aye 7521 was off the road a canny while when that was getting repaired, and it didn't look quite as bad as 7525 does.

7525 is only what, a year old? It'll be repaired without a doubt.
1498 went back to be rebuilt, and then survived a drowning also.
mb134   14 Jan 2016, 6:54 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 6:51 pm)tyresmoke wrote 7525 is only what, a year old? It'll be repaired without a doubt.
1498 went back to be rebuilt, and then survived a drowning also.

Yeah, going to take a while though. I only saw a phone photo, from the offside of the vehicle, so I could only really see the corner where I believe the main damage is (nearside), not sure what hid around the other side.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   14 Jan 2016, 7:00 pm
(14 Jan 2016, 6:54 pm)mb134 wrote Yeah, going to take a while though. I only saw a phone photo, from the offside of the vehicle, so I could only really see the corner where I believe the main damage is (nearside), not sure what hid around the other side.

I cant release too much information, but it was a head-on collision, which could have been fatal if the driver hadn't taken evasive action.
Cock Robin   15 Jan 2016, 10:32 am
1909 apparently with Yorkshire Tiger.
BusLoverMum   16 Jan 2016, 12:37 pm
4650 not behaving itself. Arrived in darlo a few minutes late on x67. Driver got off complaining about the doors. New driver's ticket machine didn't work. Went to get a replacement but still there.

We've ended up on the x66 instead.
Jimmi   16 Jan 2016, 3:46 pm
Done two journeys on Sapphire 7 this afternoon to/from Durham. Journey to Durham was Pulsar 1514 and had a fair few on for the whole of my journey and I am now heading home on Enviro 400 7537 and it is very busy and that's on a double decker. Wonder if there is any chance that the 7 will go full double decker operation in the future?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   16 Jan 2016, 5:00 pm
(15 Jan 2016, 10:32 am)Cock Robin wrote 1909 apparently with Yorkshire Tiger.
https://flic.kr/p/DapZ2f
Multi21   16 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm
(16 Jan 2016, 5:00 pm)Dan wrote https://flic.kr/p/DapZ2f

Can't understand why Stockton haven't given them 1914 and 16! Horrific buses them two
Pages (12)    17 8 912