You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016
(17 Mar 2016, 4:20 pm)DanPicken wrote What branded buses will be provided?

The complete list of vehicles now placed into a "Special" pool of vehicles created for use on the Metro Replacement Service is as follows: 7416, 7423, 7425, 7426, 7453, 7458, 7468, 7470, 7477, 7485 & 7534.

I think at least some of the 7416/23/25/26 batch may have received MAX Livery as these are part of the 55 plated ALX400 bodied Volvo B7TL's being refurbished at Thorntons of Ashington.

Reserve Deckers 7486 & 7487 have been Returned to Redcar as the "Peak" X93 timetable recommences this Sunday 20 March 2016.
(17 Mar 2016, 5:40 pm)Peppermint Pete wrote The complete list of vehicles now placed into a "Special" pool of vehicles created for use on the Metro Replacement Service is as follows: 7416, 7423, 7425, 7426, 7453, 7458, 7468, 7470, 7477, 7485 & 7534.

I think at least some of the 7416/23/25/26 batch may have received MAX Livery as these are part of the 55 plated ALX400 bodied Volvo B7TL's being refurbished at Thorntons of Ashington.

Reserve Deckers 7486 & 7487 have been Returned to Redcar as the "Peak" X93 timetable recommences this Sunday 20 March 2016.
Thank you will have to have a ride of the new ALX400.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(17 Mar 2016, 3:37 pm)scania driver wrote The logic behind removing a Sapphire branded vehicle (7534) from a supposedly dedicated "Sapphire" service beats me.

Totally agree. Why put in for the contract when they obviously don't have the vehicles to cope.
(17 Mar 2016, 4:24 pm)Jimmi wrote I noticed that, most of the original Sapphire drivers seemed to have disappeared and a few seem to be on services.

Belmont's Sapphire driver team seems to be ANY driver.

It isn't just any driver though, as the vast majority have had Sapphire and MAX training, but haven't been provided with Sapphire uniform.
(17 Mar 2016, 7:16 pm)LeeCalder wrote It isn't just any driver though, as the vast majority have had Sapphire and MAX training, but haven't been provided with Sapphire uniform.

Well when you have drivers going round on Sapphire routes in the standard uniforms it's puts the Sapphire passengers (or me at least) under the impression that they are 'normal' drivers rather than Sapphire drivers, how are you supposed to tell if they've had Sapphire training if they aren't in Sapphire uniform?
(17 Mar 2016, 7:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Well when you have drivers going round on Sapphire routes in the standard uniforms it's puts the Sapphire passengers (or me at least) under the impression that they are 'normal' drivers rather than Sapphire drivers, how are you supposed to tell if they've had Sapphire training if they aren't in Sapphire uniform?

I can't say I've ever paid much attention to the uniform.

And I expect that with a depot like Belmont, which has several sapphire routes, it's been more a case of rolling out sapphire training than only limiting it to a few drivers, as it was initially. By the time the training has been rolled out to enough drivers to cover all possible routes on all shifts, they would have trained the majority of their drivers, so might as well make the training routine.
(17 Mar 2016, 7:16 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They'll never be able to get rid of that vehicle Big Grin

It's here to cover for the next 2 weeks or so whilst 1410 goes to Durham to release a decker for the Metro replacements. I'm guessing they'll use ALX400 MAX buses if they can get more from refurbishment, sending the other buses home.
Plenty of new stuff for me to drive though! Only had 7470 and 7485 out of that Metro fleet Big Grin
(17 Mar 2016, 7:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Well when you have drivers going round on Sapphire routes in the standard uniforms it's puts the Sapphire passengers (or me at least) under the impression that they are 'normal' drivers rather than Sapphire drivers, how are you supposed to tell if they've had Sapphire training if they aren't in Sapphire uniform?

I also see quite a number of Belmont drivers in a Sapphire uniform, but not on a Sapphire route. Some examples...

7442 on the 43: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...CQb-EbqtjD

2820 on the 49/49A: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...YG6-qoUJK8

Looks like the same driver to me!
(17 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm)R852 PRG wrote I also see quite a number of Belmont drivers in a Sapphire uniform, but not on a Sapphire route. Some examples...

7442 on the 43: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...CQb-EbqtjD

2820 on the 49/49A: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...YG6-qoUJK8

Looks like the same driver to me!

Not every Sapphire shift will be a full shift on Sapphire routes - there's a few of the Stockton ones that do Middlesbrough town routes as well as 5s (not to mention the Stockton Sapphire rota also has the S1 on Saturdays meaning a full day working on Stockton routes). Likely some Durham shifts are the same (despite them have more Sapphire routes than any other depot).
I wonder why they don't just adopt the Sapphire uniform across the board, and have something like a Sapphire pin badge instead? It's certainly a lot smarter than those horrid teal polo shirts.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 Mar 2016, 9:02 pm)Adrian wrote I wonder why they don't just adopt the Sapphire uniform across the board, and have something like a Sapphire pin badge instead? It's certainly a lot smarter than those horrid teal polo shirts.

I fully agree. The Sapphire uniform is quite smart, certainly much smarter than the standard uniform, and at some depots (Belmont particularly, from my observations!), the drivers have the top buttons undone, which just generally looks unprofessional. A fully adopted Sapphire uniform would allow much more uniformity.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm)R852 PRG wrote I fully agree. The Sapphire uniform is quite smart, certainly much smarter than the standard uniform, and at some depots (Belmont particularly, from my observations!), the drivers have the top buttons undone, which just generally looks unprofessional. A fully adopted Sapphire uniform would allow much more uniformity.

Having a top button undone looks unprofessional...? Wow, that'd be me sacked then!

My comment really wasn't around professionalism. Just an observation that I think Arriva have done well with the Sapphire uniform, and it looks smarter than their standard issue.
As Kuyoyo says, not all shifts will be fully Sapphire, in fact, I know for a fact they aren't.

Some drivers may go off the 43 on to the 6 for example, or from the X12 onto the 22.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm)R852 PRG wrote I fully agree. The Sapphire uniform is quite smart, certainly much smarter than the standard uniform, and at some depots (Belmont particularly, from my observations!), the drivers have the top buttons undone, which just generally looks unprofessional. A fully adopted Sapphire uniform would allow much more uniformity.

I don't agree, that should be down to driver preference.

After all, they are adults and forcing them to fasten their top button just isn't going to work. I would however rid the depot of polo shirts.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm)LeeCalder wrote I don't agree, that should be down to driver preference.

After all, they are adults and forcing them to fasten their top button just isn't going to work. I would however rid the depot of polo shirts.
I have to agree with this, I can't stand having the top button done up on shirts, sometimes I feel as if I'm being strangled and one day last week I felt like it was actually restricting my breathing with the shirt I wore on a night out last week.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:13 pm)LeeCalder wrote As Kuyoyo says, not all shits will be fully Sapphire, in fact, I know for a fact they aren't.

Some drivers may go off the 43 on to the 6 for example, or from the X12 onto the 22.

All what Lee?

No need to talk about Belmont drivers like that!
(17 Mar 2016, 9:13 pm)LeeCalder wrote As Kuyoyo says, not all shits will be fully Sapphire, in fact, I know for a fact they aren't.

Yes, I don't think that's something they can enforce.

(17 Mar 2016, 9:20 pm)Jimmi wrote I have to agree with this, I can't stand having the top button done up on shirts, sometimes I feel as if I'm being strangled and one day last week I felt like it was actually restricting my breathing with the shirt I wore on a night out last week.

A lot of businesses have moved away from smart formal to a more smart casual, which tends to be shirts without ties or top buttons done. Chinos instead of trousers etc.
I'm not a fan of the polo shirts from a professional point of view but while they allow us I'll keep wearing them! lol
I've actually been on Sapphire once in a polo shirt too, as an emergency cover when doing 27s
(17 Mar 2016, 9:28 pm)citaro5284 wrote All what Lee?

No need to talk about Belmont drivers like that!

(17 Mar 2016, 9:29 pm)Adrian wrote Yes, I don't think that's something they can enforce.

A lot of businesses have moved away from smart formal to a more smart casual, which tends to be shirts without ties or top buttons done. Chinos instead of trousers etc.

Haha, now edited.

I have to say I agree with Adrian, I am supposed to wear a shirt, jumper and trousers but get away with a shirt, tie and black jeans.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:09 pm)Adrian wrote Having a top button undone looks unprofessional...? Wow, that'd be me sacked then!

My comment really wasn't around professionalism. Just an observation that I think Arriva have done well with the Sapphire uniform, and it looks smarter than their standard issue.

It doesn't look particularly professional when all of the upper buttons are undone, as I have seen on several Arriva drivers. One button is fine, but not three. I don't wish to see half of the driver's chest.  

(17 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm)LeeCalder wrote I don't agree, that should be down to driver preference.

BIB 1: Some uniformed staff don't have an option. School students don't, they can be penalised for not having their shirt fully buttoned up. 

BIB 2: You can enforce any rules upon anybody if you have the necessary authority to do so, although at the expense of staff morale if they disagree with it.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm)R852 PRG wrote It doesn't look particularly professional when all of the upper buttons are undone, as I have seen on several Arriva drivers. One button is fine, but not three. I don't wish to see half of the driver's chest.  

BIB 1: Some uniformed staff don't have an option. School students don't, they can be penalised for not having their shirt fully buttoned up. 

BIB 2: You can enforce any rules upon anybody if you have the necessary authority to do so, although at the expense of staff morale if they disagree with it.

Getting penalised for not having a shirt fully buttoned up in this day and age, is quite extreme.

More and more companies are becoming more relaxed on this, it is no longer seen as more professional or upper class to wear an immaculate uniform which is fully buttoned up, and well ironed because people prefer a more relaxed approach.
(17 Mar 2016, 8:44 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Not every Sapphire shift will be a full shift on Sapphire routes - there's a few of the Stockton ones that do Middlesbrough town routes as well as 5s (not to mention the Stockton Sapphire rota also has the S1 on Saturdays meaning a full day working on Stockton routes). Likely some Durham shifts are the same (despite them have more Sapphire routes than any other depot).

It makes sense not to stick to one route. A round trip on the 22 or 24 from Durham is 3 hours, for example. 2 of those isn't going to fill a full working day for a full time driver, even with statutory allowances for breaks. Some of the runs on the 6 are much shorter, but there's not enough of those to make up every driver's hours exclusively on a Sapphire service.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:50 pm)LeeCalder wrote Getting penalised for not having a shirt fully buttoned up in this day and age, is quite extreme.

Agree. No line manager will command any respect from their staff, if they're creating completely unnecessary buerocracy. It's unenforceable and there is no economic benefit from trying to enforce it.

Agreed about top buttons. Husband only does his up on the rare occasion he wears a tie. And that is rare - usually for interviews and meeting brand new clients! Last time he went to meet clients, they all agreed on a casual dress code beforehand - all typical techies/engineers!
(17 Mar 2016, 9:29 pm)Adrian wrote Yes, I don't think that's something they can enforce.

My shits are all diamond encrusted Angel [wince]
(17 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm)R852 PRG wrote It doesn't look particularly professional when all of the upper buttons are undone, as I have seen on several Arriva drivers. One button is fine, but not three. I don't wish to see half of the driver's chest.  

Yeah - and many school students are expected to wear a jumper and a blazer when it's 24C. How the hell they can concentrate, I have no idea. I'm quite grateful that big'un doesn't need to wear uniform, or else we'd never hear the end of his non-compliance.
(17 Mar 2016, 9:31 pm)tyresmoke wrote I'm not a fan of the polo shirts from a professional point of view but while they allow us I'll keep wearing them! lol
I've actually been on Sapphire once in a polo shirt too, as an emergency cover when doing 27s

I noticed, at the weekend, that the driver of the Scarlet Band pink bus wears a matching pink polo shirt Big Grin
(17 Mar 2016, 9:13 pm)LeeCalder wrote As Kuyoyo says, not all shifts will be fully Sapphire, in fact, I know for a fact they aren't.

Durham drivers get further than some depot's Sapphire drivers - I believe the only out-of-town route the Stockton lad have that aren't 5/5a is 28/28a (I'm waiting to be corrected on that score - however I do know they don't get any X12s).

(17 Mar 2016, 10:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote It makes sense not to stick to one route. A round trip on the 22 or 24 from Durham is 3 hours, for example. 2 of those isn't going to fill a full working day for a full time driver, even with statutory allowances for breaks. Some of the runs on the 6 are much shorter, but there's not enough of those to make up every driver's hours exclusively on a Sapphire service.

There will be more shifts that only do Sapphire routes in a shift than shifts that do Sapphire then something else or the other way round.