Menu

Pages (136)    186 87 88136   
Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am
(04 Aug 2015, 10:59 am)LeeCalder wrote I am fully aware of that, however, I don't like being referred to as a bus spotter because of the stereotypes that are attached to it. For that reason, I'd rather be labeled at Bus Enthusiast.

A bit like when I go to to get my train photos, most people around my age that do so HATE being called a train spotter. So do I, I am a train enthusiast.
Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.
MurdnunoC   04 Aug 2015, 11:10 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am)Jimmi wrote Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what you call yourself, some people will always look at the hobby in a derogatory light.
Adrian   04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am
Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I don't make a point of banging on about any of my hobbies to anyone, but that's because they're my hobbies, and I realise not everyone will share the same interests. I'll talk about football to friends on a Saturday morning, I'll talk about collecting rave music and vinyl to friends I know through that scene, and I'll talk about buses to people I know through this scene.

End of the day, if you're embarrassed about it being a hobby, then it's not a hobby. Where's the enjoyment of looking over your shoulder constantly?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
LeeCalder   04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am)Jimmi wrote Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.

Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am)LeeCalder wrote Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.

And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

This is a hobby many will take the mick out of you through school though.
MrFozz   04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am)aureolin wrote Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I don't make a point of banging on about any of my hobbies to anyone, but that's because they're my hobbies, and I realise not everyone will share the same interests. I'll talk about football to friends on a Saturday morning, I'll talk about collecting rave music and vinyl to friends I know through that scene, and I'll talk about buses to people I know through this scene.

End of the day, if you're embarrassed about it being a hobby, then it's not a hobby. Where's the enjoyment of looking over your shoulder constantly?

I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across
(04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am)LeeCalder wrote Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.
I'm sorry you have had to go through that Lee, I really am, I can say I know what it feels like to be bullied, I was nearly bullied to death mate...Literally

End of the day, you need to think about it, if your looking over your shoulder, Adrian is right, your losing out on the 'enjoyment', am not here to have a dig or anything, you need to take a real look at your hobby and if you really do enjoy it mate...

Think about it mate
omnicity4659   04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am
What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 11:49 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC wrote What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
Try not to think that, some of these "higher up" bus spotters probably think they are better than what they actually are and some won't have time for the less known enthusiasts on the scene.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC wrote What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
Do your own thing, don't give a shit what others think, go about your own business and people bring you down...
LeeCalder   04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am)Jimmi wrote And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

This is a hobby many will take the mick out of you through school though.

It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".
Rapidsnap   04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am
Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
MrFozz   04 Aug 2015, 11:57 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am)GMitchelhill wrote Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.
Remember those days well
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
LeeCalder   04 Aug 2015, 11:59 am
I'm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am)MrFozz wrote I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across
I'm sorry you have had to go through that Lee, I really am, I can say I know what it feels like to be bullied, I was nearly bullied to death mate...Literally

End of the day, you need to think about it, if your looking over your shoulder, Adrian is right, your losing out on the 'enjoyment', am not here to have a dig or anything, you need to take a real look at your hobby and if you really do enjoy it mate...

Think about it mate

I really do enjoy doing it, and I'm not going to stop doing it because I keep having to look over my shoulder. It doesn't bother me. And I'm not going to stop because some dimwits think they're funny by making a joke out of me.
MrFozz   04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am)LeeCalder wrote It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".
Lee, Lee, Lee

End of the day, it is what you are, it is what I am, it is what Jimmi is(soz dude)

Bus Spotter/Train Spotter, that is what we are, whether we like it or not...

In reality the more we whinge and moan about it, it will give your tormentors ammunition to pick on you and wind you up
LeeCalder   04 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm)MrFozz wrote Lee, Lee, Lee

End of the day, it is what you are, it is what I am, it is what Jimmi is(soz dude)

Bus Spotter/Train Spotter, that is what we are, whether we like it or not...

In reality the more we whinge and moan about it, it will give your tormentors ammunition to pick on you and wind you up

Point taken. I'll shut up moaning Rolleyes

Sorry everyone.
idiot   04 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm
In an Eddie Spotter to!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Charles41   04 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC wrote What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.

I got back into buses as a hobby about 2 and half months ago. I spot using pen and paper and I take photos.

Personally I could not care what any "higher up" enthusiast thought of me. I may not have as much knowledge of the current bus scene as others but I enjoy it greatly.

You should not feel looked down on by anyone. If you enjoy the hobby keep doing it. I certainly intend to keep on with this hobby now that I've re-discovered it.

Charles
Adrian   04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm
So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

citaro5284   04 Aug 2015, 4:26 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin wrote So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

Or maybe standing at a well known Newcastle bus station for long periods day in and day out.... Tongue
Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 4:43 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin wrote So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

I suppose it depends what some define as "respect" in one sense I say it would be those who always have information and have been providing for a long period of time. In another sense I would say respect comes from getting to know other enthusiasts and getting them to like you and be your friend etc.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm
I'm in the midst of typing up my review from my outing today, but as I do that on Word Document and can browse the forum at the same time, I'll chip in with this discussion.

Like I've said many times before, my interest in the hobby first peaked when I was a young boy. I'd get the bus regularly with my grandad, and looking back, I consider those to be my best memories of him. I wasn't interested in it through primary school, but in Year 7 when I started secondary education, my interest came back. It was a mixture of stumbling across an episode of On the Buses while I was looking for something to watch on the television, and the very smart red double deckers that Go North East allocated to the scholars services at my school. What really got me back into it, was the arrival of the ''Angel'' Geminis in October 2012. Since then, I've gone out nearly every Saturday. At first, it was just from Chester-le-Street to Pelton (when my grandad was still alive) but now it has expanded to many places in the region. 

When my grandad passed away last March, which still shocks me now as it was so sudden, I went into a bit of downwards spiral, and found myself getting down about just about everything. Looking back, I think that period of time was a brief phase of some sort of teenage depression. However, somehow my Saturday outings managed to take my mind off it, and now I'd say I am over his death, and can look back on the memories I shared with him. I'd say the hobby really helped me get over it. 

Lee mentioned school, I have to say, I've never had any real problems at school with my hobby. I used to help teachers on seasonal open evenings by providing bus timetables for the local area, which in turn, made us look very good as a school. Unfortunately they then got a Service Delivery Manager from Chester-le-Street, and I was sacked. I can't even recall how people became aware of my interest. At first, I think it was because I saved all of my tickets from the journeys to and from school. I also had a good knowledge of the local bus services, which came in handy when people needed to know things. I believe the reasons I've never had any problems about it, is because I'm open about my hobby and don't hide it, and I can be helpful when people need to know things.

As for the ''higher up'' enthusiasts; the only way they are higher up is up their own backsides. I believe it is a case of a lot of older enthusiasts having the impression that the younger generation are ''cocky, rude, and think they know everything'' sorts of people, while I think the younger enthusiasts view the older generation as pretty similar. I don't know why there is such a divide. You'd think with such a low-key hobby like this, people would be willing to all get on. You probably have that in football as well though; the older fans probably look at younger fans as hooligans, while all they want to do is watch the match. Just ignore what the people who don't get on with you say, and do what you want to do with your free time.

The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue
Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG wrote The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue

Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue
Dan   04 Aug 2015, 5:03 pm

Relatively new to the scene, I was once told that I ought to respect enthusiasts who have been on the scene taking photographs for more years than I've been on this planet. I was shunned when I suggested that respect is something that had to be earned, and it was also a two-way street.

Having been in many arguments with just about every Tom, Dick and Harry over the last three years or so, I've learned that it's best in this hobby to chill out and don't let any comments offend you. Like you, if someone is nice enough with me, I'll be nice enough with them. If someone's even civil, I'll be civil back. If someone's an arsehole, then I'll try my best to ignore them!

Life's too short to care about this "hierarchy of bus enthusiasts" - it's a concept designed to boost the egos of some while making others feel a hundred times worse.
LeeCalder   04 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG wrote The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue

I must be doing well then Big Grin
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm)Jimmi wrote Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue

I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink

Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm)aureolin wrote I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink
When have I blanked you?

I admit I wasn't very talkative when I last saw you at the Whitley Bay Rally. Didn't feel right that day.
Adrian   04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm)Jimmi wrote When have I blanked you?

I admit I wasn't very talkative when I last saw you at the Whitley Bay Rally. Didn't feel right that day.

Only jesting man! Smile

Although I got on the same Streetdeck as you on it's first day out, and then bumped into you at Haymarket that same day, so I'm doing well if you didn't see me haha.

Jimmi   04 Aug 2015, 5:48 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm)aureolin wrote Only jesting man! Smile

Although I got on the same Streetdeck as you on it's first day out, and then bumped into you at Haymarket that same day, so I'm doing well if you didn't see me haha.
Something must be wrong if I didn't see you that day as I was sat just behind you.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   04 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm
I'm never social Tongue

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
MrFozz   04 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm
Respect is something to be earned, nobody should demand respect without show a bit of it themselves...

Some need to extract there head from there ringpiece, there is some arseholes around who will never get that...
Pages (136)    186 87 88136