You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015
(23 Apr 2015, 8:41 pm)Davie wrote Does anybody know what fleet numbers the Omnidekkas will receive?
6122 onwards I would think.
(23 Apr 2015, 8:41 pm)Davie wrote Does anybody know what fleet numbers the Omnidekkas will receive?

I'd imagine, providing no other deckers arrive beforehand, they'd start at 6122.
Has it even been confirmed GNE are getting Omnidekkas?
If it has I must have missed the post.
(23 Apr 2015, 8:43 pm)Malarkey wrote 6122 onwards I would think.

Cheers adam

(23 Apr 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Has it even been confirmed GNE are getting Omnidekkas?

Yeah I think it has Tom

(23 Apr 2015, 8:34 pm)thetravelman wrote Firstly, sorry for the late reply... Thanks to those who gave some info regarding my questions to GNE recruitment. Ive still not come to a conclusion on whether to apply or not, I'm kind of committed at my current job for the time being, so I may wait a while. However as one of you suggested I should maybe go along to the Stadium of Light recruitment day for a look and chat. That way I may get some questions answered for the future when the time is right for me to apply.

I seen one of the new X66 Streetlites on the 11A yesterday morning, in Prudhoe, they look rather good!

What are the Scania Omnidekkas going to be used for when they arrive from Brighton, also what age are these buses expected to be, also what buses are they going to replace?
I think they are 03 plate.  There is a plan as to what GNE are doing with them, will be revealed shortly

Why did GNE decide to get rid of their bendy-buses? after all the ones used on X66 weren't that old as 57 reg vehicles.
High running costs, less than 5mpg

Also I take it the Bendys from X40 have also gone now, is this route to get new vehicles?
As Robert's reply below

I've also seen some ex-simplicity 11 reg Versa's around still purple in colour, are these vehicles waiting to be re-branded?
Yes, shouldn't be too long to find out what they are going on and it will all fall into place.  Big Grin

Sorry for the questions, although my bus interest goes back some 30 years or more now, I still don't vast knowledge.
I read this forum quite regular and enjoy the info on here, I also enjoy looking at the various photos on Flikr ! Great stuff, Keep up the good work folk !!! 

Many Thanks.
(23 Apr 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Has it even been confirmed GNE are getting Omnidekkas?

I think it has. Don't know if anybody wants to trek back through the posts to find it.

Edit: Citaros post above this confirms it
As it will no longer use Artics, will the X40 (/Q3) start using Haymarket Bus Station again rather than John Dobson Street etc. Would be easier for interworking with the Q2 too.
(23 Apr 2015, 8:49 pm)Robert wrote As it will no longer use Artics, will the X40 (/Q3) start using Haymarket Bus Station again rather than John Dobson Street etc. Would be easier for interworking with the Q2 too.

Unsure, that's a different department to mine!
Thanks for the quick reply both Robert and Citaro, much appreciated!

and wow, I knew that the Bendys would have quite low mpg, but i didnt expect less than 5mpg.

Also, didn't realise that X40 was soon to merge as Q3.

I take it from Roberts comments and Citaros Answers to my questions.... that Citaro works for GNE ! Big Grin
(23 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm)thetravelman wrote Thanks for the quick reply both Robert and Citaro, much appreciated!

and wow, I knew that the Bendys would have quite low mpg, but i didnt expect less than 5mpg.

Also, didn't realise that X40 was soon to merge as Q3.

I take it from Roberts comments and Citaros Answers to my questions.... that Citaro works for GNE ! Big Grin

What gave you that idea...haha Angel
Anyone been watching Double Decker Driving School - Thursday nights 8.30 on ITV1. Been good watched each episode so far, not watched tonights yet.

its based on Arriva in London and their new recruits.
(23 Apr 2015, 9:03 pm)thetravelman wrote Anyone been watching Double Decker Driving School - Thursday nights 8.30 on ITV1. Been good watched each episode so far, not watched tonights yet.

its based on Arriva in London and their new recruits.

Its programs like that which show how hard it is to be a bus driver - i honestly think some people hit the companies and drivers too hard sometimes. They seem to think that its easy to both run a company and drive a bus (obviously not at the same time!). I've been using Go North East to get to and from school for coming up to 4 years now and i have only suffered real lateness (more than 20 minutes) 3 times, less than 10 breakdowns (3 of them within the past 2 weeks) and only 1 occasion where the bus has been more than 2 minutes early. Overall, i think that the service is reliable and thats when the service uses vehicles that are over/coming up to 15 years old.
(23 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm)idiot wrote As low as that? Not suprised they went for the hybird on 21!

According to the stats in this FOI, the hybrids don't get that much more than the bendies.
http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/2013/06/24/h...the-truth/
Obviously the road/traffic conditions in London are slightly different to up here, so there may be some slight variation.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
It would be interesting (to me) to establish why the Citaro BendyBuses had such high fuel consumption.

Presumably they share most mechanicals with the solo Citaros that, presumably, have better fuel economy.

As these were originally specified for use in London (?) would the gearing be different (particularly due to the extra weight and drag of the 'trailer').

Comparison should be made with double-deckers (in terms of carrying capacity).

From Wiki:-
The main benefits of an articulated bus over the double-decker bus are rapid simultaneous boarding and disembarkation through more and larger doors, much larger passenger capacity (120+ versus 80−90), increased stability arising from a lower centre of gravity, smaller frontal area gives less air resistance than double decker buses thus better fuel efficiency, often a smaller turning radius, higher maximum service speed, and improved accessibility for people with disabilities and the elderly.

One disadvantage that is sometimes experienced with some articulated models is the insufficiency of the effective motive power available to them. It is common for articulated buses to use the same engine type as non-articulated buses.
The extra weight of the bendy bus gives rise to a slower speed and acceleration. 
The cost and weight of the strengthened deck framing and staircase of a double-decker was lower than the cost and weight of the additional axle(s) and coupling mechanism of an articulated bus. 
Site Administrator
Streetlite 5397 is present at today's launch in Chester-le-Street.
(24 Apr 2015, 7:10 am)Dan wrote Streetlite 5397 is present at today's launch in Chester-le-Street.

Jesus that started early.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm)idiot wrote I'm shocked!

But, the operators get enhanced 'credits', via central government, due to their lower carbon emissions. So the difference is enhanced slightly.

This link (http://www.lowcvp.org.uk/initiatives/lce...oolkit.htm), is useful.
It may also explain why battery operated buses (such as those seen on the Quaylink in years gone by), haven't proven that successful
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(24 Apr 2015, 7:10 am)Dan wrote Streetlite 5397 is present at today's launch in Chester-le-Street.

[Image: 17254532425_f397ac0561.jpg]Go North East: 5397 / NK15ENJ by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

The event was very fun indeed. The market was rather busy and the majority of passers-by wanted to know what the bus was on display for. Positive comments all around regarding the interior - some even added how it's far superior to the standard blue interior. The 'selfie bus' was very popular with young people and old people alike - watch out for photos appearing on Social Media soon... As you can all well imagine, everyone enjoyed the free ice cream!
Site Administrator
(24 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Was there any Coast and Country goodies? Like the ones for the X66?

There was, but so many people boarded the bus, we ran out!

Stress balls, frisbees, scratch cards, etc.