You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(04 May 2015, 9:36 am)Dan wrote Just branded this weekend - especially for the rally! Wink 

I was pulling into Costco car park and was greeted by a trio of an Angel, the B9 and a GNE liveried East Lancs(?) decker Wink 
Site Administrator
(04 May 2015, 9:40 am)citaro5284 wrote sworn to secrecy we were, weren't we.....

We aren't ones to spoil surprises, are we?
(04 May 2015, 9:40 am)citaro5284 wrote sworn to secrecy we were, weren't we.....

Looked good like Big Grin
(04 May 2015, 9:41 am)Dan wrote We aren't ones to spoil surprises, are we?

But I will put money on certain other people knowing it was going......
(04 May 2015, 11:11 am)citaro5284 wrote But I will put money on certain other people knowing it was going......

I didn't, i was heading to see HMS Ocean but the last administrations is 1pm, this is due to bad weather out in sea, so they have to leave early.... =(

No point in me heading to the metrocentre now... will take ages! 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Good turnout at the Metrocentre and I was able to chat with some members.

The Red Kites looked good - especially the double decker.

I also managed a front seat upstairs ride to and from Tanfield on a Routemaster - it struggled with those hills up through Sunniside.
Site Administrator
(04 May 2015, 1:42 pm)G-CPTN wrote The Red Kites looked good - especially the double decker.

Positive comments all around about the "Red Kite" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2, it would seem!

For those that haven't managed to see it yet, check out the photograph below:
[Image: 17181110709_0e940f1d15.jpg]Go North East: 6118 / BG15RNF by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

A large number of other vehicles owned by Go North East attended today's rally, including a recently repainted Brighton & Hove Scania OmniDekka. 6124 certainly looked the part in the sun this afternoon:
[Image: 17181748769_622b9e7cb3.jpg]Go North East: 6124 / GX03SUU by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

..and it was a "hello" and "goodbye", as the new-look "Coast & Country" replaces the "Lime":
[Image: 17160494807_bba8d6c048.jpg]Go North East: 4854 / R854PRG by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
(04 May 2015, 2:27 pm)Dan wrote Positive comments all around about the "Red Kite" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2, it would seem!

For those that haven't managed to see it yet, check out the photograph below:
[Image: 17181110709_0e940f1d15.jpg]Go North East: 6118 / BG15RNF by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

A large number of other vehicles owned by Go North East attended today's rally, including a recently repainted Brighton & Hove Scania OmniDekka. 6124 certainly looked the part in the sun this afternoon:
[Image: 17181748769_622b9e7cb3.jpg]Go North East: 6124 / GX03SUU by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

..and it was a "hello" and "goodbye", as the new-look "Coast & Country" replaces the "Lime":
[Image: 17160494807_bba8d6c048.jpg]Go North East: 4854 / R854PRG by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Looks really good.

Had a quick ride on the C&C today, from Hastings Hill to Penshaw, couldn't really do a proper review of it, with it being such a short ride, it was packed,it was an alright ride, a better review will come at a later date. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(04 May 2015, 2:58 pm)Michael wrote Looks really good.

Hate a quick ride on the C&C today, from Hastings Hill to Penshaw, couldn't really do a proper review of it, with it being such a short ride, it was packed,it was an alright ride, a better review will come at a later date. 

Hate is a strong word...!  Wink
(04 May 2015, 3:02 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Hate is a strong word...!  Wink

Oh dear!, it's being changed!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Quick note in advance of anyone heading to the "Rare & Odd Workings" thread...

On Bank Holiday daytimes, "Whey Aye Five 0" service 50A should be operated by corporate liveried double decker vehicles. Volvo B7TLs 6016 and 6022 have been allocated today, alongside Dennis Trident 3804. The evening services will continue to be operated by the branded Scania OmniCity allocation. This is presumably to alleviate overcrowding issues on Bank Holidays.
(04 May 2015, 4:37 pm)idiot wrote I'm well impressed with C&C flooring Smile

Aye, I was pleasantly impressed with the X66 interior. Today was the first time I'd had a trip on a GNE Streetlite, on the 0840 from Gateshead.

The only downside for me is that they sound a bit like a cross between an MPD and a Metrorider. Constantly sounds like the engine is running flat out.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Are the seats in the Red Kite B9's being retained, just seems quite a difference between those and the seating found in the Red Kite Streetlite's looking at pictures? 
(04 May 2015, 4:55 pm)mb134 wrote Are the seats in the Red Kite B9's being retained, just seems quite a difference between those and the seating found in the Red Kite Streetlite's looking at pictures? 

It's just because they're dealer stock, rather than ordered to GNE's specification. Now that they've been branded and ready for service, I can't see them being sent to re-fabric them all to GNE's standard, as if they done that, they'd have to paint the rails and interior walls too.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(04 May 2015, 4:48 pm)aureolin wrote Aye, I was pleasantly impressed with the X66 interior. Today was the first time I'd had a trip on a GNE Streetlite, on the 0840 from Gateshead.

The only downside for me is that they sound a bit like a cross between an MPD and a Metrorider. Constantly sounds like the engine is running flat out.

My Mother has just told me she liked the Interior of the Vehicles oN the X66, Particularly the Wood Effect Flooring.
Site Administrator
(04 May 2015, 5:14 pm)Malarkey wrote My Mother has just told me she liked the Interior of the Vehicles oN the X66, Particularly the Wood Effect Flooring.

When I was travelling from Gateshead to the Metrocentre on the X66 (on 5392), I heard quite a few positive comments about the wood-effect flooring and how the leather seats were quite comfortable.

I will always favour fabric seating, but the wood-effect flooring is most definitely a winner compared to what each of 'the big three' usually have as standard.
(04 May 2015, 6:22 pm)Michael wrote Has any transfers took place from Stanley today?

Maybe, Maybe not Wink 
(04 May 2015, 6:27 pm)Malarkey wrote Maybe, Maybe not Wink 

Was hoping the Omnidekkers would enter service this week but i forgot that driver familiarisation needs to be done..... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(04 May 2015, 6:22 pm)Michael wrote Has any transfers took place from Stanley today?

(04 May 2015, 6:27 pm)Malarkey wrote Maybe, Maybe not Wink 

No need to tease on this one, Adam!

Michael, the answer to your question is no. When further movements occur, they will be noted accordingly. Wink 
(04 May 2015, 7:13 pm)Tom wrote Will the Red Kites be out tomorrow?

Baring in mind not all of the Red Kite streetlites have arrived yet...would they not place the B9s and streetlites in service together?
(04 May 2015, 7:15 pm)Robert wrote Baring in mind not all of the Red Kite streetlites have arrived yet...

Sorry I mean the B9's. 
(04 May 2015, 7:40 pm)pdiddy wrote When is the next lot of buses coming up from Brighton!!!

There was suppose to be some Saturday gone.
(04 May 2015, 4:55 pm)mb134 wrote Are the seats in the Red Kite B9's being retained, just seems quite a difference between those and the seating found in the Red Kite Streetlite's looking at pictures? 

Shall we revisit this in 8 years or so Tongue , if they get a mid-life refurbishment.

Do the C&C Streetlite feature headrests on every seat like the 'Red Kite' buses?, I can't seem to remember even though I was staring one in the face for several hours
(04 May 2015, 4:58 pm)aureolin wrote It's just because they're dealer stock, rather than ordered to GNE's specification. Now that they've been branded and ready for service, I can't see them being sent to re-fabric them all to GNE's standard, as if they done that, they'd have to paint the rails and interior walls too.

If the service proves to be well used and profitable, then an interior upgrade may well be justified in the future. The reason I think that GNE went for the B9 over a new factory built vehicle was this:

- Proven
- Already 20 of them at Riverside
- Easily supported
- Commonality
- Very minimal training required
- Cheap purchase cost
I have noticed these new destinations are very...long (in terms of 'via' points) than their predecessors. Any particular reason for this?