You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(06 May 2015, 5:43 pm)Dan wrote You can just see the vinyls inside hanging next to the cab area - they'll get stuck on before they go out on the road! Smile 

GNE must be doing the letters first then the numbers :s , unless the numbers havnt arrived yet Wink

(06 May 2015, 4:47 pm)Malarkey wrote Just out of curiosity, how many of you feel that the Streetlites are rather slow.

Just that when I was on the 2 earlier on one of the 11reg Versas, 5409 went passed as we stopped at Hastings Hill to let a Wheel Chair Passenger off, obviously during this time the driver would have get out of his cab to get the ramp out etc, this would therefore allow 5409 to get quite far ahead right, well not quite we caught 5409 up just before the Roundabout at Penshaw Monument which I was quite shocked by considering we were at a Standstill for around a Minute while the Wheelchair alighted, I cant help but think if that was a B10BLE Wright Renown that it would been long gone, probably at the other end of Penshaw I think.

On top of that I used the 8 twice yesterday between Washington Galleries and Sunderland, going up/down Washington Highway felt like forever before we built up any form of speed as they are very slow in accelerating, by which time the Vehicle would have to slow down at a Junction, dont even get me started on my return journey on 5406, heating on full blast coupled with the "New Vehicle Smell" and "Leather" isnt pleasant at all whatsoever.

Which leads me to the conclusion that GNE have went for Quantity over Quality, basically theyve bought the Supermarket equivalent of "Asda Smart Price Beans" which isnt very nice, when they should of bought a tin of Heinz instead in the form of Mercedes Citaros, Maybe my opinion will change in the future when I use them to go up Stanley and Consett for Photographs in a few weeks, but thus far I am not to impressed on these Lightweight Vehicles, finishing on a positive, I do like the e-leather Seating, Wood Effect flooring and Branding on the Vehicles for the Services in which they have been purchased for.

According to the press release (the same one that made up a name for the C2C), they have invested 100% of their profits into buying these new vehicles.
Forgetting any thoughts on the business sense behind that - it means that these Streetlights, were all the company could afford, whilst maintaining the same sort of frequency.

As much as I prefer my Heinz to Smartprice, if I can only afford Smartprice - I will only buy Smartprice.
Granted these may be Smartprice beans with a few bells and whistles, but it is better than cutting back and going hungry.

It has made me wonder how profitable the service actually is though. I appreciate the Renowns, were good vehicles - but for them to remain in front line service, on the same route for 15/16 years... Whilst other routes have had 2/3 upgrades in the same period.
In my opinion, there was either nowt suitable on the market or it isn't that profitable of a route.
Having travelled on it regularly for a good number of years and witnessed the passenger trends first hand, I tend to think profits aren't the best.
People use it in stages, with the geography of the route, tends to lend itself to short trips.
Consett - Annfield Plain (vice versa)
Annfield Plain - Stanley
Stanley - Beamish
Pelton - Chester
Chester - Lumley
Lumley - Sunderland
With other short hops in between.

Then the changes in 2007/8, will have only tweaked things slightly, with it being Stanley - Craghead and Strange Villa - Chester.

Chuck in an ageing population in the mining villages, using their conc passes and you don't have a mega bucks bus.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
The other streetlite at the rear does say every 30 minutes, even though the 45/46 is a 15 minute joint service, maybe GNE are covering their arses just in case theres a bus missing in service. I think GNE done this before on another service (8/78 streetlite?)

(06 May 2015, 5:58 pm)cbma06 wrote The other streetlite at the rear does say every 30 minutes, even though the 45/46 is a 15 minute joint service, maybe GNE are covering their arses just in case theres a bus missing in service. I think GNE done this before on another service (8/78 streetlite?)

All 8/78 streetlites have 'Every 30 minutes'. Think it is because the routes aren't actually that similar for the majority of their routes. According to Go North East, services 8 and 8A only run between Chester-le-Street and Sunderland: http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/coast-and-country
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 5:58 pm)cbma06 wrote The other streetlite at the rear does say every 30 minutes, even though the 45/46 is a 15 minute joint service, maybe GNE are covering their arses just in case theres a bus missing in service. I think GNE done this before on another service (8/78 streetlite?)

[Image: 17367627791_2f3c6d4062.jpg]Go North East: 5414 / NK15EOE by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

There are buses with 'every 15 minutes'. I don't think Go North East would have displayed a bus at the Metrocentre Bus Rally if there had been a mistake with the vinyls on it. 
I'm quite impressed with the Streetlites, now that I've had a few journeys on the 8. The seats are comfortable, the wood effect flooring looks good, and the blue accent lighting is a nice touch. I found that the Streetlites seem to have plenty of power, and seem to provide a smooth enough journey. My only criticism is the lack of leg room. I'm 6ft 3 and found that my knees were firmly pressed against the seat in front. I should add it's not as bad as the Omnis though!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
As we know I had 5409 on the X22 MetroCentre - Durham on Sunday afternoon and I thought it performed well on this route, once we cleared the temporary Stannah Stairlift speed restrictions it got up to a decent speed going down the A1 and also performed quite well on the A167 between Chester and Pity Me, obviously it didn't go like a bat out of hell but I thought it did quite alright. I thought the interior looked quite inviting and thought the wood effect flooring was a nice touch and thought that the e-leather seating was quite comfortable to sit on and also took advantage of the free WiFi on offer.

I thought this was a nice bus and I am looking forward to riding the branded examples on the 8/78 and also the Red Kite examples too.

As much as we'd all love to continue to have powerful buses on every route that drinks fuel I'm afraid those days are over as operators are needing to cut costs to continue to operate and save money and the way people see the impact on the environment has changed as well so all buses, cars and other forms of transport now have to be kinder to the environment. Operators could continue to buy heavy weight fuel binge drinkers but don't come complaining on here that your bus service has been cut or withdrawn due to the service not making enough money to cover the running costs.
(06 May 2015, 6:02 pm)Dan wrote There are buses with 'every 15 minutes'. I don't think Go North East would have displayed a bus at the Metrocentre Bus Rally if there had been a mistake with the vinyls on it. 

It does say 'Up to every 15 minutes' - does that mean more or less  than every 15 minutes - or 'more or less' every 15 minutes?     :s

I think we should be told . . .  Smile
(06 May 2015, 7:28 pm)G-CPTN wrote It does say 'Up to every 15 minutes' - does that mean more or less  than every 15 minutes - or 'more or less' every 15 minutes?     :s

I think we should be told . . .  Smile

The services run every 15 minutes combined.
(06 May 2015, 6:55 pm)Jimmi wrote As much as we'd all love to continue to have powerful buses on every route that drinks fuel I'm afraid those days are over as operators are needing to cut costs to continue to operate and save money and the way people see the impact on the environment has changed as well so all buses, cars and other forms of transport now have to be kinder to the environment. Operators could continue to buy heavy weight fuel binge drinkers but don't come complaining on here that your bus service has been cut or withdrawn due to the service not making enough money to cover the running costs.

Too true - even I ponder whether a B9TL (engine) is necessary when I hear (and feel the heat) as they pass me when I am walking nearby.

Of course the vehicle needs to be able to keep to the timetable (and allow for delays so it can catch up).
You could say that any vehicle that has the performance to achieve the timetable times most of the time is 'adequate'.
You could stretch the timetable, but we see GNE offering 'faster journey times' (than Arriva) between Ncle and Hexham (X84/X85) so there is an optimum journey time.

Just to say that I consider the B9TLs to be ideal for the TEN - I would not want the sort of performance I experienced on the Routemaster up through Sunniside - that would be unacceptable IMO. 
Routemasters are old vehicles - they won't have as much power as they did back in the 50s or whenever it was built
(06 May 2015, 7:43 pm)Robert wrote Routemasters are old vehicles - they won't have as much power as they did back in the 50s or whenever it was built

This one was re-engined with a Cummins engine - but you are correct, buses 'back then' (and trucks, too) had much lower HP (and torque) than current vehicles.

I can remember driving 140 HP and thinking it was 'fast', and when we got 300HP for 44 tonnes . . .  Big Grin

Now, 44 tonners regularly have 500 to 700 HP and buses 250 HP.

Of course it's not all about HP, it's torque that climbs hills and accelerates vehicles.
(06 May 2015, 7:40 pm)G-CPTN wrote Too true - even I ponder whether a B9TL (engine) is necessary when I hear (and feel the heat) as they pass me when I am walking nearby.

Of course the vehicle needs to be able to keep to the timetable (and allow for delays so it can catch up).
You could say that any vehicle that has the performance to achieve the timetable times most of the time is 'adequate'.
You could stretch the timetable, but we see GNE offering 'faster journey times' (than Arriva) between Ncle and Hexham (X84/X85) so there is an optimum journey time.

Just to say that I consider the B9TLs to be ideal for the TEN - I would not want the sort of performance I experienced on the Routemaster up through Sunniside - that would be unacceptable IMO. 
All depends. If a sensible operator like GNE who:
- Has no Ecosystems (bar RIBAS monitoring) affecting the performance of the bus
- Looks after them properly
- Has good maintenance schedules (I.e, 1 spare for every 7 or 8)

Then lightweight buses (bar the TTX and that kinda includes the B9 to an extent) are fine. 

For example, 7501 - 7506 were underperforming on the 308 after 2 1/2 years but at the same time, they weren't being looked after properly by Blyth and were in a right state under the bonnet.
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 8:56 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote All depends. If a sensible operator like GNE who:
- Has no Ecosystems (bar RIBAS monitoring) affecting the performance of the bus
- Looks after them properly
- Has good maintenance schedules (I.e, 1 spare for every 7 or 8)

Then lightweight buses (bar the TTX and that kinda includes the B9 to an extent) are fine. 

For example, 7501 - 7506 were underperforming on the 308 after 2 1/2 years but at the same time, they weren't being looked after properly by Blyth and were in a right state under the bonnet.

I believe GNE has the same Eco mods as ANE on the Citylink Versas. Likewise, the same mods on the Blaydon Racer Mercs as the Temsas in ANE's fleet.
(07 May 2015, 5:09 am)Dan wrote I believe GNE has the same Eco mods as ANE on the Citylink Versas. Likewise, the same mods on the Blaydon Racer Mercs as the Temsas in ANE's fleet.

That's fot vehicles mostly pottering around the doors though. I'm talking about the likes of the big three and lightweight vehicles for the future.
Since Tuesday, one of the two 850 scholars has used a vyking as opposed both being olympians. Any reason for this?
Site Administrator
(07 May 2015, 12:14 pm)JP6004 wrote Since Tuesday, one of the two 850 scholars has used a vyking as opposed both being olympians. Any reason for this?

Olympians VOR and they don't have 3813 to cover now, with it being back at Stanley following the withdrawal of 3803.

DaveyB will be gunning for me - suggesting an Olympian would ever be off the road is blasphemy!
(07 May 2015, 1:37 pm)Dan wrote Olympians VOR and they don't have 3813 to cover now, with it being back at Stanley following the withdrawal of 3803.

DaveyB will be gunning for me - suggesting an Olympian would ever be off the road is blasphemy!

Hopefully they will stay that way [Image: biggrin.gif]
I've never heard a B7TL as bad as 6008!
I understand why Michael thinks they are that bad now.
(07 May 2015, 3:12 pm)Tom wrote I've never heard a B7TL as bad as 6008!
I understand why Michael thinks they are that bad now.

I remember when I first heard that, I though a 142 'pacer' was near by!
I see that 6008 (which arrived from London) was first painted in corporate livery, then Northern, and back to corporate.

That makes three repaints.
(07 May 2015, 3:24 pm)G-CPTN wrote I see that 6008 (which arrived from London) was first painted in corporate livery, then Northern, and back to corporate.

I think it was painted into the 'Red Angel' livery first
Site Administrator
(07 May 2015, 3:24 pm)G-CPTN wrote I see that 6008 (which arrived from London) was first painted in corporate livery, then Northern, and back to corporate.

(07 May 2015, 3:27 pm)Davie wrote I think it was painted into the 'Red Angel' livery first

See its history on the link below:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/gnefle...eetno=6008

First repainted red (upon entry into the fleet), gaining "Northern" lettering. Upon re-allocation to Chester-le-Street, these vinyls were removed in favour of minimal "Angel" branding. Upon re-allocation again, the "Northern" vinyls were added again.

Only been given one further repaint to its original repaint (into corporate livery red minus "Northern" lettering - as present).
Its only been repainted twice? First it wore the Northern livery before being branded angel. It was then debranded and rebranded angel. That was all done under a single repaint. Its second repaint was into the new corporate livery.
Does the Coast and Country StreetLite's have next stop announcements as I saw the screens and speakers but they didn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Also I tried to connect to the WiFi on two examples but no joy. Didn't bother after that.
(07 May 2015, 4:28 pm)Jimmi wrote Does the Coast and Country StreetLite's have next stop announcements as I saw the screens and speakers but they didn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Also I tried to connect to the WiFi on two examples but no joy. Didn't bother after that.

See this post regarding the NSAs:

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...p?tid=1463&pid=103376#pid103376
Site Administrator
(07 May 2015, 4:28 pm)Jimmi wrote Also I tried to connect to the WiFi on two examples but no joy. Didn't bother after that.

Can you advise which fleet numbers?

The Wi-Fi is definitely working on every single vehicle as Icomera tested it when they commissioned it, and both citaro5284 and myself tested it on both of our phones when programming the destination on every bus.

Worth noting that the new vehicles all provide 4G speeds, too, and that the Wi-Fi service on the new Streetlites for services 8/78 has been used about as much as the Wi-Fi on the "Red Arrows" Volvo B9TLs (both across 14 vehicles, with 5396 not yet out in service).