You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
I won't go into detail, with the whole ins and outs of the vehicles I used over the course of a trip out yesterday, but ended up on the X66 and its new streetlight vehicles.

Having ridden each and everyone of its predecessors - rangin from Nationals, to Dafs, with everything inbetween and since, I was impressed with how light and airy it was.
It seemed to fly along centrelink.
Much nicer than those seen on the 53/54.

The standing load who got off, prior to me boarding may have disagreed, even more so on a hot day.
Windows open on a cold, rainy May day tell its own story.

Quite liked the interior too.

To balance it out, the heat eminating from under the seats on the back row, was ridiculous and I was surprised at how little leg room there was. I don't touch 6ft, but I know there are a few on here who exceed it.

Boarded with an open mind and disembarked with mixed thoughts.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(03 May 2015, 12:34 pm)Adam wrote 02:15 #N21 Newcastle Pilgrim Street - Angel of the North (6068)

My day began in Newcastle, where I was partying with uni friends. What else is a 19 year old uni student supposed to do on weekends? It was about 1:45 and my friends were starting to get tired, so we left, raiding McDonald's for some food. It's a delicacy after a night out. With time to spare, I wandered down to Pilgrim Street, where 6068 turned up on the N21. I paid my £3 single to the Angel, and unsurprisingly, that's more or less what I can remember from the journey. After alighting, I walked up the dreaded Longbank and a few other streets, before arriving home at around 3am. I would normally get the N56 and alight at Wrekenton, but this service doesn't run on Friday nights/Saturday mornings.

14:44 #2A Sunderland Holmeside - Washington Galleries (8327)

Whilst walking down to the stop, 8320 and 8323 both left, so I had a good 10 minute wait for the next one. 8327 approached, another bus which I've yet to travel on. I've been on most of the Simplicity Versas due to the N56, but this one seems to have avoided me until yesterday. Very quiet journey, with various pickings up and droppings off en route, the maximum number of passengers being on at any one time being around 10. An incident with a car had happened at the green bridge (what's it called? Is it Fallowfield Bridge?), with a policeman directing vehicles around the tangled mess of a dunched car, probably a write-off. We arrived into the Galleries bang on time, which was good to see.

I've never been on a night bus before but keep meaning to instead of the odd taxi!

Also it's Fatfield Bridge Smile
(05 May 2015, 9:36 am)Tommy_1581 wrote I think they have the (almost) same problem as the X-GGO Darts (some sort of ledge on the side facing seats), something that makes people who manage to get on, say a V-DFT Renown, that they've had no problems with previously, suddenly very hard! They'll want disabled access toilets next.  Rolleyes

I was sure that some of them were? Oh well
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 2:58 pm)mb134 wrote I was sure that some of them were? Oh well

The Alexander ALX300 bodied Volvo B10BLEs might be, but the Wright Renown bodied examples certainly aren't.
(06 May 2015, 3:09 pm)Dan wrote The Alexander ALX300 bodied Volvo B10BLEs might be, but the Wright Renown bodied examples certainly aren't.

That was it!! 
(07 May 2015, 8:49 am)Jimmi wrote Doing a Coast and Country outing today.

Not doing many trips this week although the ones I am doing are pretty long, let's see if I survive being out for up to around 14 hours on Saturday.
Some are probably wondering why I can't think of anything positive to say about Go North East, well I am currently sat on a broken 6014 at Witton Gilbert. *sighs*

Well that's my plan out of the window.
(07 May 2015, 9:19 am)Jimmi wrote Some are probably wondering why I can't think of anything positive to say about Go North East, well I am currently sat on a broken 6014 at Witton Gilbert. *sighs*

Well that's my plan out of the window.
We are on the move again, we are very slowly on the move and have just been over taken by a lorry!
Something really irritating about this Coast and Country outing is everywhere I want photos on the 78 route they both pass around the same time so I am finding myself waiting around 30 minutes in places looking like a right freak.

Think I've spent more time waiting for buses than I have on them.
Site Administrator
(07 May 2015, 2:52 pm)Jimmi wrote Something really irritating about this Coast and Country outing is everywhere I want photos on the 78 route they both pass around the same time so I am finding myself waiting around 30 minutes in places looking like a right freak.

Think I've spent more time waiting for buses than I have on them.

That's why I'm waiting until we're further into summer before hopping off en-route to take photographs. I typically start at one end (ie Consett), jump off at a location to get a photo on the other side, and wait for the next bus to go further along the route, repeating the process until I'm at the other end (ie Sunderland).

It's pleasant enough doing that when it's warm, if you're the type who enjoys getting photos in random locations, but awful trying to do it when it's cold.
(07 May 2015, 3:47 pm)Dan wrote That's why I'm waiting until we're further into summer before hopping off en-route to take photographs. I typically start at one end (ie Consett), jump off at a location to get a photo on the other side, and wait for the next bus to go further along the route, repeating the process until I'm at the other end (ie Sunderland).

It's pleasant enough doing that when it's warm, if you're the type who enjoys getting photos in random locations, but awful trying to do it when it's cold.

Probably would have been better if I hadn't decided to start an hour later, 6014's failure on the 15 pushed me back a further 30 minutes and resulted in one of my planned photo spots being dropped as the 15A doesn't head along the 78 route into Consett. Also most of the ones I have been on today have been slightly late as there is temporary lights everywhere it seems so this has caused more problems.

Not been brilliant today but at least I have made the effort to get photos in some slightly different places, sick of viewing photos of them in Chester-le-Street now, although I took some here too.

Will probably revist some of the spots in the summer.
Would anyone fancy doing this?

07:04 - 4 - Washington Galleries to Heworth - 07:21
07:38 - X9 - Heworth to Middlesbrough - 08:42
08:50 - X93 - Middlesbrough to Scarborough - 11:08
11:56 - 843 - Scarborough to York - 13:42
15:24 - 840 - York to Leeds - 17:24
19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 21:45
22:45 - 2 - Sunderland to Lambton - 23:13

Explorer = £9.70
Coastliner Freedom Ticket = £15.30
Megabus = £7.00
Total: £32
(07 May 2015, 7:42 pm)Malarkey wrote Would anyone fancy doing this?

19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 09:45

Explorer = £9.70
Megabus = £7.00

I wouldn't fancy embarking on a 4 hour journey for less than an hour in Scarborough. You're probably best splitting that trip into two.

JH Coaches advertised that they're doing a Scarborough day trip for £16.50. I'd assume there'd be a good few hours between the two trips, so it'd give you a chance to get some EYMS stuff photographed. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(07 May 2015, 7:48 pm)aureolin wrote I wouldn't fancy embarking on a 4 hour journey for less than an hour in Scarborough. You're probably best splitting that trip into two.

JH Coaches advertised that they're doing a Scarborough day trip for £16.50. I'd assume there'd be a good few hours between the two trips, so it'd give you a chance to get some EYMS stuff photographed. 

I but the next 843 isnt until 13:56, which then would knack up the rest of the plan.

The Edinburgh one looks rather tempting for £17.50 mind.
Marxista Fozzski
(07 May 2015, 7:42 pm)Malarkey wrote Would anyone fancy doing this?

19:40 - MB - Leeds to Sunderland - 09:45

Explorer = £9.70
Megabus = £7.00

Bloody Hell...14 hours on a bus from Leeds to Sunderland no thank you
(07 May 2015, 8:04 pm)Malarkey wrote The Edinburgh one looks rather tempting for £17.50 mind.

That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

I'd also recommend checking fares for Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street/Central, because the stretch between Glasgow and Edinburgh is open ticket, despite being fixed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.
(07 May 2015, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

I'd also recommend checking fares for Newcastle to Glasgow Queen Street/Central, because the stretch between Glasgow and Edinburgh is open ticket, despite being fixed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.

I have had the 18.30 EC out of Durham in 1st for just over £20. 16.50 (think it's a few mins later these days) crossstinky for £13 home the next day.

Put in a random trip for 7/7. Cheapest is £17.50 there. £18 back the next day. Both direct.
(07 May 2015, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote That's decent for Edinburgh. It's worth keeping an eye on the rail fares though, as you can do Edinburgh and back on fixed tickets for not a lot.

If I was to go to Glasgow on Wednesday 24th June for the Day.

07:43 - Newcastle to Glasgow - 10:43 = £10
19:30 - Glasgow to Newcastle - 22:44 = £10

And for Edinburgh

07:43 - Newcastle to Edinburgh - 09:21 = £9
21:00 - Edinburgh to Newcastle - 22:44 = £9

Definately worth taking advantage of the open ticket between Edinburgh and Glasgow, no doubt I could do 12 Hours in Edinburgh by going to Various Spots, not to familiar with Glasgow as I only know around Buchanan Bus Station/Rail Station and the Shopping Area from when I used to go up as a Kid, 2007 was the last time I was up there mind.
Site Administrator

Just had a look on the VTEC website and I can see booking for a Saturday in advance, you can get it for about £10 each way.

Depart: Newcastle dep. 07:43
Change at: Edinburgh arr. 09:20 dep. 09:38
Arrive: Glasgow Queen Street, 10:43
Changes: 1    Duration: 3h 0m

Is the 0938 departure on ScotRail merely an advised connection, rather than mandatory? 
(07 May 2015, 8:38 pm)Dan wrote Just had a look on the VTEC website and I can see booking for a Saturday in advance, you can get it for about £10 each way.

Depart: Newcastle dep. 07:43
Change at: Edinburgh arr. 09:20 dep. 09:38
Arrive: Glasgow Queen Street, 10:43
Changes: 1    Duration: 3h 0m

Is the 0938 departure on ScotRail merely an advised connection, rather than mandatory? 

Yeah. It'll work out the quickest route. There's no ticket restrictions between Edinburgh and Glasgow though, so you're free to use any train you want.
Just a rather simple review of today's outing including what happened with GNE 6014.

0902 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 1522)
1000 15 Durham - Lanchester (GNE 6014)
1052 15A Lanchester - Consett Bus Station (GNE 60??)
1130 78 Consett Bus Station - Annfield Plain Tesco (GNE 5407)
1210 V8 Annfield Plain Tesco - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 641)
1245 8 Stanley Bus Station - Pelton Bridge (GNE 5408)
1335 8 Pelton Bridge - Chester-le-Street (GNE 5404)
1415 36 Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley (GNE 5303)
1516 Great Lumley - Penshaw Monument (GNE 5400)
1625? 2A Penshaw Monument - Sunderland (GNE 4942)
1720 X21/21 Sunderland - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 4811).

You may have seen my posts about the issues on 6014 earlier, it left Durham normal enough of course was disappointed it wasn't a Yellow Bus Olympian but on we go. When we got to some temporary lights by Earl's House Hospital (think it's classed as a hospital?) the bus started moving really slowly, at first I thought we were just stuck behind something slow but later discovered there was nothing in front of us. When we got to Witton Gilbert the driver pulled into the stop turned the engine off, went to the back of the bus at one point. Then we got going again and got as far as the next stop, engine turned off again and a phone call as for what to do, the decision was to continue to Consett, not sure this was the right decision when the bus is limping especially with the 15 route where the roads aren't very wide and there are hills to climb so you may be wondering how slow we were going? Well according to the driver we were going about 15mph! the end result is everything was trying to overtake us including lorrys. After an age we got to Lanchester at around 1042 and that was the end of that journey so we had to wait for the next 15A to continue on to Consett.

Thought the Coast and Country StreetLite's handled the route fine and they are nice inside.

Had lots of waiting time in places to get photos, some of these photos turned out well, some didn't. Penshaw Monument really went wrong with the sun being in the wrong place and had to wait AGES for a 2/2A to head to Sunderland.

Didn't do a review like I normally do as I couldn't think of ways to make riding StreetLite's sound intresting enough
(07 May 2015, 8:40 pm)aureolin wrote Yeah. It'll work out the quickest route. There's no ticket restrictions between Edinburgh and Glasgow though, so you're free to use any train you want.

Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(07 May 2015, 10:06 pm)northern156 wrote Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.

Can you even get reservations on the SR services? Never had/seen one yet.
(07 May 2015, 10:06 pm)northern156 wrote Not if it's an advance ticket and states 'Valid only with reservations' with the reservation being on the 0938 unfortunately.

I do the same ticket every time I go that way. 0743 from Newcastle to Edinburgh, then whatever I fancy over to Glasgow. Same with coming back. I always have a reservation on the 1830 from Edinburgh to Newcastle, but take any train between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The ticket always comes through as 'VTEC & Connections' with 'BOOKDTRAINONLY' as the validity, but you can't reserve seats on the Edinburgh to Queen Street service? 
Ah, may be right then. Because you can't reserve a seat doesn't mean you can get an advance ticket though.

Unfortunately due to money restraints and a crappy weather forecast tomorrow I can't go to Carlisle (sorry Jimmi). Will do another time.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Well seem as the weather forecast for Carlisle is terrible and Sean has now bailed on me I have decided to rethink tomorrow's outing and do a trip on Teesside instead.

Not sure what to do yet but I will probably just do a random trip on Teesside.

Any Teesside suggestions?

Will probably do Carlisle one Saturday in June now.