You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(09 May 2015, 6:08 pm)Michael wrote Only 2 more to arrive now?, only asking because the fleet list on both here and GNE hasn't being updated.

Wonder how long before the next 14 buses start to arrive..... 

There are 3 more to arrive. 5410, 5418 and 5419. 2 of which arrived today judging by an ealier post.

Eventhough 5415 isnt mentioned in Dans post, it has arrived: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...p?tid=1463&pid=103611#pid103611
(09 May 2015, 5:50 pm)thetravelman wrote Obviously the 10 is now Double Decker again, but you have lost services such as 631, 632, 633 & 642 to be combined into service 31 & 32 both still as Single Decker, now I don't know what loading figures are like nowadays, as I've not needed to use theses services for some 20 years or more now, but thinking back to the past these were well used, I don't see why they needed to go Single Deck. Same with Arriva when they made the 602 single deck.

Because 7430 - 7435 were a heap of s***e! Couldn't even cope with the 308 and Jesmond had to even rest them on the 306 on nights and Sundays using B10BLE's and Palatine 2's instead.
Or maybe it was just down to low passenger numbers? A company downgrading to single deckers because of reliability seems too stupid.
(09 May 2015, 7:43 pm)Robert wrote Or maybe it was just down to low passenger numbers? A company downgrading to single deckers because of reliability seems too stupid.

Stagecoach or busways as it was in south shields moved to nearly all single deckers when they increased frequencies from 20 min to 10 mins Many moons ago now. Glad the x34 gained deckers though. But def could do with additional for timekeeping and a few of the E services during the week also
(09 May 2015, 8:05 pm)ifm001 wrote Stagecoach or busways as it was in south shields moved to nearly all single deckers when they increased frequencies from 20 min to 10 mins Many moons ago now. Glad the x34 gained deckers though. But def could do with additional for timekeeping and a few of the E services during the week also
And before anyone moans and says this should be posted under SNE and not GNE it is in reply to previous GNE posts re double to single Moves
(09 May 2015, 7:43 pm)Robert wrote Or maybe it was just down to low passenger numbers? A company downgrading to single deckers because of reliability seems too stupid.

Well put it this way, it must have been down to one or two things then:

- Either what I pointed out before or;

- To upgrade the 308 to Super Route alongside the GNE Lolynes.

Certainly don't think it was down to low passenger numbers otherwise they would've run 7370 - 7377 into the ground if the service didn't justify new vehicles back in 2000.
It must have been something related to passenger numbers otherwise the service wouldnt have seen a dowgrade in terms of capacity. GNE didn't replace the Geminis on the TTX with single deckers because the deckers were becoming unreliable after being hammered by the A19.
IIRC I believe it was something to do with Arriva running the trains too. They made the bus service less attractive to those who lived up in the Tyne Valley in places like Hexham, Corbridge, Riding Mill and Stockfield, and made them use the trains. This combined with what Davey said about Arriva needed to upgrade the 308 to Low Floor deckers for the Superoute idea, which was a farce. High Floor deckers still made regular appearences on Arriva workings (not that I'm complaining, rather have a Scania N113DRB than a Dennis Trident)
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(10 May 2015, 1:35 am)GMitchelhill wrote IIRC I believe it was something to do with Arriva running the trains too. They made the bus service less attractive to those who lived up in the Tyne Valley in places like Hexham, Corbridge, Riding Mill and Stockfield, and made them use the trains. This combined with what Davey said about Arriva needed to upgrade the 308 to Low Floor deckers for the Superoute idea, which was a farce. High Floor deckers still made regular appearences on Arriva workings (not that I'm complaining, rather have a Scania N113DRB than a Dennis Trident)

It had nothing to do with the trains Gary; The Tridents were simply not up to the job for the 602. That combined with fewer passengers on the Ryton corridor due to the sheer amount of buses at that time, and the availability of the Volvo's from Scotland led to the decision to go single deck. There was a plan to re-introduce Double Deckers towards the end of 2008 early 2009 but this was strangely vetoed...we were to find out later that year though just why!
(10 May 2015, 8:52 am)Text wrote It had nothing to do with the trains Gary; The Tridents were simply not up to the job for the 602. That combined with fewer passengers on the Ryton corridor due to the sheer amount of buses at that time, and the availability of the Volvo's from Scotland led to the decision to go single deck. There was a plan to re-introduce Double Deckers towards the end of 2008 early 2009 but this was strangely vetoed...we were to find out later that year though just why!

The Tridents are never up for anything haha 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
[Image: 2428.png]

There's still time to come down to the Stadium of Light to take part in Go North East's Driver Recruitment Day! Go North East is here until 14:00.

If you've ever thought of a career as a bus driver and would like to find out some more information about what the job entails, come along to the recruitment day. There are a number of buses at the event, and some of these are available to take on a test drive around a set route with some of Go North East's Driver Training Department. There's even a free cup of coffee in it for you after your drive!

The following vehicles in the fleet are at today's event:
  • Deptford-based corporate liveried Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO)
  • Peterlee-based yellow liveried Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 565 (NK53 TLU)
  • Stanley-based "Venture" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 651 (NL63 XZY)
  • Deptford-based "Drifter" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Max 5374 (NL63 XBE)
  • Deptford-based "Fab Fifty Six" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6094 (NL63 YHX) 
  • "Driver Training" base liveried Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7092 (K2 VOY)
  • Deptford-based "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa V1110/Optare 8319 (NK11 FXB)
(10 May 2015, 11:32 am)Dan wrote [Image: 2428.png]

There's still time to come down to the Stadium of Light to take part in Go North East's Driver Recruitment Day! Go North East is here until 14:00.

If you've ever thought of a career as a bus driver and would like to find out some more information about what the job entails, come along to the recruitment day. There are a number of buses at the event, and some of these are available to take on a test drive around a set route with some of Go North East's Driver Training Department. There's even a free cup of coffee in it for you after your drive!

The following vehicles in the fleet are at today's event:

• Deptford-based corporate liveried Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 548 (NA52 AXO)
  • Peterlee-based yellow liveried Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 565 (NK53 TLU)
  • Stanley-based "Venture" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 651 (NL63 XZY)
  • Deptford-based "Drifter" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Max 5374 (NL63 XBE)
  • Deptford-based "Fab Fifty Six" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6094 (NL63 YHX) 
  • "Driver Training" base liveried Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7092 (K2 VOY)
  • Deptford-based "SimpliCity" branded Optare Versa V1110/Optare 8319 (NK11 FXB)
I regret not going now  Sad
Drifter Training? Tongue Are you there as part of the promotional team or just there from an enthusiasts point of view?
(10 May 2015, 11:37 am)Robert wrote Drifter Training? Tongue Are you there as part of the promotional team or just there from an enthusiasts point of view?

I think he's there from an enthusiasts point of view Tongue
Site Administrator
(10 May 2015, 11:34 am)Davie wrote I regret not going now  Sad

I was only there for about five minutes, but there appeared to be some sizeable queues waiting for a test drive! Allowed for one or two decent photo opportunities too.

[Image: 16865930083_a6c125a779.jpg]Go North East: Driver Recruitment Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 17484027192_33d8a8666a.jpg]Go North East: Driver Recruitment Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

(10 May 2015, 11:37 am)Robert wrote Drifter Training? Tongue Are you there as part of the promotional team or just there from an enthusiasts point of view?

Strictly speaking, I was not helping out today. Living five minutes away, it seemed rude to turn down the opportunity for a few photographs. My photos may assist GNE, should they be required for Social Media / the website. Tongue 
(10 May 2015, 12:08 pm)Dan wrote I was only there for about five minutes, but there appeared to be some sizeable queues waiting for a test drive! Allowed for one or two decent photo opportunities too.

[Image: 16865930083_a6c125a779.jpg]Go North East: Driver Recruitment Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 17484027192_33d8a8666a.jpg]Go North East: Driver Recruitment Day by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Strictly speaking, I was not helping out today. Living five minutes away, it seemed rude to turn down the opportunity for a few photographs. My photos may assist GNE, should they be required for Social Media / the website. Tongue 

Nothing new there then Tongue
Any update on the news this week, or are u just going to a monthly one next week Dan?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(10 May 2015, 12:27 pm)Michael wrote Any update on the news this week, or are u just going to a monthly one next week Dan?

Providing there's no issues with the admin side of the new fleet news, it'll be coming later. Just need to confirm with Liam first. Smile 
(10 May 2015, 12:49 pm)northern156 wrote Lol you're not old enough...?

Actually, is it 18 to be able to do so?

No I should have gone to get bus photos, I'm too young too young to drive
(10 May 2015, 2:25 pm)aureolin wrote 5241 appears to have lost its front route number

It decides to go for a wander, and then it comes back...
(10 May 2015, 2:26 pm)citaro5284 wrote It decides to go for a wander, and then it comes back...

Ah that's a useful feature! Cheers Smile
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
5391 has surprisingly gained the old style (red/yellow/blue) internal notices for no smoking and remaining seated.

I had thought everything was going to the navy/white generic stickers now?
(10 May 2015, 2:40 pm)aureolin wrote 5391 has surprisingly gained the old style (red/yellow/blue) internal notices for no smoking and remaining seated.

I had thought everything was going to the navy/white generic stickers now?

That Red/Yellow/Blue livery was my favourite 'corporate' brand. In my opinion they should never have changed it. 

I know I've said it before but in my opinion the plain red looks pathetic. 
At 1730 the following were in Saltmeadows Yard.

5415, 5417, 6118, 6119, 6120, 6123, 6124. Hope it helps.
(10 May 2015, 3:47 pm)leestransportphotos wrote That Red/Yellow/Blue livery was my favourite 'corporate' brand. In my opinion they should never have changed it. 

I know I've said it before but in my opinion the plain red looks pathetic. 

I think the Corporate Livery will be expanded on the near future as it is pretty bare, just have to wait until the "Northern" name is removed from all Vehicles in the fleet first...only 93 Vehicles to go Wink , majority of which will be Withdrawn come the end of the Year anyway.
(10 May 2015, 6:11 pm)Malarkey wrote I think the Corporate Livery will be expanded on the near future as it is pretty bare, just have to wait until the "Northern" name is removed from all Vehicles in the fleet first...only 93 Vehicles to go Wink , majority of which will be Withdrawn come the end of the Year anyway.

I do hope it gets expanded because it's pretty poor atm! Cheers Malarkey
I think it looks incredibly smart the way it is. I think a big 'Go North East' logo on it will spoil it in my opinion.
I don't think it's the finished article, and I reckon we'll see something additional if the QCS decision goes the way the operators want it to. Having a mass amount of vehicles in base red at the moment means that they can either apply a corporate livery or QCS livery quicker, without buses queuing out of Saltmeadows for months and months for a repaint too.