You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(10 May 2015, 6:14 pm)Robert wrote I think it looks incredibly smart the way it is. I think a big 'Go North East' logo on it will spoil it in my opinion.

So Robert, do you think 5203(NK54 NVW) looks smart the way it is, baring in mind it doesnt have the Go North East Logos on the Front or Sides at all to my knowledge.
Site Administrator
(10 May 2015, 6:21 pm)Malarkey wrote So Robert, do you think 5203(NK54 NVW) looks smart the way it is, baring in mind it doesnt have the Go North East Logos on the Front or Sides at all to my knowledge.

Don't think the plain red looks smart, and I think aureolin's theory is probably correct, but this example is just one vehicle out of 100+ which have been repainted into GNE's 'corporate livery'.

Probably a case of it being sent back to the depot to receive vinyls, and they've had to rush it out into service to replace another vehicle straight away, and they've forgotten to apply the vinyls when it got back in...
(10 May 2015, 6:21 pm)Malarkey wrote So Robert, do you think 5203(NK54 NVW) looks smart the way it is, baring in mind it doesnt have the Go North East Logos on the Front or Sides at all to my knowledge.

Yes. I do. Obviously without logos and that purple wingmirror it does look untidy but it does look awfully smart in red, as do the other vehicles.

Moving back to discussion from the other day regarding the C2C cycle route, it appears that Go North East can't make up their mind...
.jpg image.jpg
Site Administrator
Not so noticeable when they're allocated to the Q1/Q2 as they don't (currently) have a colour route number destination set up to display a coloured background... When they're on the 27, you can clearly see the colour route number display now fitted to the "QuayLink" branded Optare Versas...

[Image: 16874991064_7ec3c48acc.jpg]Go North East: 8318 (NK10 GOU) by Tommy Simms, on Flickr
(10 May 2015, 7:10 pm)G-CPTN wrote Is it my eyes, or are red background route numbers difficult to read?

Your eyes.... Tongue

Seriously as I think Dan has mentioned, we are going to take the majority (not all) of the coloured squares off and just have plain white numbers to match the full white destinations on the new vehicles.
(10 May 2015, 7:10 pm)G-CPTN wrote Is it my eyes, or are red background route numbers difficult to read?

My brother had difficulty reading the number from a distance. May just be my rubbish old camera, mind.

Ive had two eye surgeries and I can read that perfectly, even from a distance when out and about.
Seems the dude from the GNE fb is giving out incorrect info...

Telling someone on their page they can get the 99 from park lane to Pallion during the day...

Do they know the 99 hasn't served park lane during the day for ages.... lol
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

It could be a whole number of reasons.

Those with dyslexia or colour blindness haven't got much hope with multicoloured texts.

Not saying you have either like, but you won't be the only one who has difficulty with the colours
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(10 May 2015, 9:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote It could be a whole number of reasons.

Those with dyslexia or colour blindness haven't got much hope with multicoloured texts.

Not saying you have either like, but you won't be the only one who has difficulty with the colours

I was never a huge fan of them. They looked good up close, but not from a distance. Thankfully the new white numbers look both bigger, and are clear to read from a distance.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(10 May 2015, 9:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote It could be a whole number of reasons.

So where does that feature in the DDA requirements?

I realise that you cannot cater for people who are totally blind (you would need some sort of external 'next stop announcements'), but why make it difficult for any people with 'normal' sight?

I have neither dyslexia nor colour-blindness, but tell me that the red background is as easy to see from a distance as a simple white number on a black background and I don't believe you.

My only sight defect is age-related long-sightedness (ie I now need simple reading glasses - the sort that you can buy in chemist shops, Poundland or ALDI).
(10 May 2015, 9:09 pm)aureolin wrote I was never a huge fan of them. They looked good up close, but not from a distance. Thankfully the new white numbers look both bigger, and are clear to read from a distance.

They never bothered me to be honest.
As long as the destination colours didn't bleed into the numbers, then they were ok.

(10 May 2015, 9:15 pm)G-CPTN wrote So where does that feature in the DDA requirements?

I realise that you cannot cater for people who are totally blind (you would need some sort of external 'next stop announcements'), but why make it difficult for any people with 'normal' sight?

I have neither dyslexia nor colour-blindness, but tell me that the red background is as easy to see from a distance as a simple white number on a black background and I don't believe you.

My only sight defect is age-related long-sightedness (ie I now need simple reading glasses - the sort that you can buy in chemist shops, Poundland or ALDI).

There is something about destinations in the DDA, but nothing about colours (if I remember correctly).

Both the BDA (http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexic/e...d-dyslexia
) and Colour Blind Awarness (http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/), issue guidance.
Ironically, red is poor for colourblind people and black/white for dyslexia.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(09 May 2015, 6:08 pm)Michael wrote Only 2 more to arrive now?, only asking because the fleet list on both here and GNE hasn't being updated.

Wonder how long before the next 14 buses start to arrive..... 

My fleet list is now fully up-to-date - showing all fleet numbers/registrations. Let me know if you find anything I've missed - I went through the news in a weird and wonderful way so it's entirely possible that I could have missed one or two out.
The official Go North East one has nothing to do with me, so I can't be of assistance there!

A transfer which hadn't yet been noted on the forum was buried deep within a news article posted earlier this evening... Riverside-based VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8263 (NK04 ZKZ) has transferred to Washington.
(10 May 2015, 9:48 pm)Dan wrote My fleet list is now fully up-to-date - showing all fleet numbers/registrations. Let me know if you find anything I've missed - I went through the news in a weird and wonderful way so it's entirely possible that I could have missed one or two out.
The official Go North East one has nothing to do with me, so I can't be of assistance there!

A transfer which hadn't yet been noted on the forum was buried deep within a news article posted earlier this evening... Riverside-based VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8263 (NK04 ZKZ) has transferred to Washington.

I guess 8261-8265 will all Transfer to Washington eventually to replace 8248/8250-8252 following further Vehicle cascades.
(11 May 2015, 5:58 am)aureolin wrote 626 has a new rear bumper, only it's a different colour to the rest of the bus.

[Image: 013575656051c796f4aeeab3722ff315.jpg]
Good thing this is a Go North East Nexus Solo SR otherwise you'd be called a vigilante for taking that photo
(11 May 2015, 5:58 am)aureolin wrote 626 has a new rear bumper, only it's a different colour to the rest of the bus.

[Image: 013575656051c796f4aeeab3722ff315.jpg]

It's had that for a while now
Site Administrator
(10 May 2015, 9:48 pm)Dan wrote A transfer which hadn't yet been noted on the forum was buried deep within a news article posted earlier this evening... Riverside-based VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8263 (NK04 ZKZ) has transferred to Washington.

(10 May 2015, 10:02 pm)Malarkey wrote I guess 8261-8265 will all Transfer to Washington eventually to replace 8248/8250-8252 following further Vehicle cascades.

As a result of the above transfer, Washington's DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8250 (NA52 BVG) has been withdrawn from service.
(11 May 2015, 11:06 am)Dan wrote As a result of the above transfer, Washington's DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8250 (NA52 BVG) has been withdrawn from service.

Do you know if they'll be sold to another bus company or the scrap man?
Are the red kite streetlites n DD out in service? GNE has removed the coming soon bit and said that the 47 is now part of red kite
(11 May 2015, 1:01 pm)JP6004 wrote Are the red kite streetlites n DD out in service?  GNE has removed the coming soon bit and said that the 47 is now part of red kite

I've just alighted from service 47 in Rowlands Gill and it certainly wasn't a double-decker or part of the Red Kite brand. This morning I boarded service 46 in Rowlands Gill. I don't remember the fleet-number or anything but it was the usual Omnicity allocation albeit in black instead of red. I haven't noticed any new buses going through the Gill so I'd probably suggest the answer to your question is no. 
I'm extremely annoyed that Go North East are not having any of the launch days on a Saturday. I cannot attend the launch of my beloved local service because of school. They can't really call it a family fun day if you can't bring your children along to join in. I might have to fake a sick so that I can go now...
(11 May 2015, 3:13 pm)Jackamcardle wrote I'm extremely annoyed that Go North East are not having any of the launch days on a Saturday. I cannot attend the launch of my beloved local service because of school. They can't really call it a family fun day if you can't bring your children along to join in. I might have to fake a sick so that I can go now...

Im in Durham on Wednesday morning for an Appointment, think I might head up Consett afterwards for the Launch

Full Details below.
http://www.simplygo.com/news/red-kite-ce...newcastle/
(11 May 2015, 3:32 pm)Tom wrote Free pizza at the Consett launch!

Indeed, bonus for me as Pizza is my Favourite food.
(11 May 2015, 11:06 am)Dan wrote As a result of the above transfer, Washington's DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8250 (NA52 BVG) has been withdrawn from service.

Presumably chosen over the others because of its fire last year or however long ago it was?
(11 May 2015, 3:37 pm)Robert wrote Presumably chosen over the others because of its fire last year or however long ago it was?

Happened in June 2014 according to the Notes on the NEB GNE Fleet List, and Returned to Service on October 31st 2014
(11 May 2015, 3:54 pm)Malarkey wrote Happened in June 2014 according to the Notes on the NEB GNE Fleet List, and Returned to Service on October 31st 2014

Was it only that long ago? Gosh it feels like it happened a long time before that. Of course, i'm not going to argue that the fleet list is wrong Tongue 8249s fire must have been a lot worse for that to get sold and 8250 to get repaired or was it a case of 'we need to get it repaired'.