You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(11 May 2015, 8:22 pm)leestransportphotos wrote If I'm honest I agree. 

Although I went to the MetroCentre Bus Rally, I would like to go to the launches but I can't. 

Again, how can they call it a family fun day if kids are at school!

I went to the Chester-le-Street launch for the C&C - plenty of young children there...
(11 May 2015, 8:24 pm)Dan wrote I went to the Chester-le-Street launch for the C&C - plenty of young children there...

Aye young children, it must be those which are too young for school or just generally don't attend. 
(11 May 2015, 8:22 pm)leestransportphotos wrote If I'm honest I agree. 

Although I went to the MetroCentre Bus Rally, I would like to go to the launches but I can't. 

Again, how can they call it a family fun day if kids are at school!

Who are they targeting though? People who use the service day in day out, or a load of snap happy enthusiasts? I'd be confident putting money on the latter not even coming into the equation... 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(11 May 2015, 8:26 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Aye young children, it must be those which are too young for school or just generally don't attend. 

Yes, young children. The age group most likely to get excited by new buses...
(11 May 2015, 8:24 pm)Dan wrote I went to the Chester-le-Street launch for the C&C - plenty of young children there...

Friday is traditionally the big market day in Chester-le-Street, which was a key reason I imagine Go North East chose a Friday. However, I did debate with myself as to whether Friday or Saturday was often a bigger day on the market place, but eventually came to the conclusion that Friday has always been the most busy in my experience.

Also, the kids at my school are allowed out into Chester-le-Street at lunch, and I know for a fact that many of them went down to the launch.

Far too keen to go and get your face painted... Tongue 
(11 May 2015, 8:28 pm)aureolin wrote Who are they targeting though? People who use the service day in day out, or a load of snap happy enthusiasts? I'd be confident putting money on the latter not even coming into the equation... 

I'm not saying it's about enthusiasts. My point is that the majority of kids aren't going to be able to go
(11 May 2015, 8:28 pm)Dan wrote Yes, young children. The age group most likely to get excited by new buses...

When I was at that age I couldn't care less what bus I got on. And if I'm honest, is a 3/4 year old going to understand? Probably not
(11 May 2015, 7:22 pm)roar wrote 99% of duties have one break, between the minimum 30 mins upto around 1h30 mins. 

A duty would look like this (this is randon just to show what a working day is like)

Clock on 0530, leave depot 0540 to operate first part of duty until 1100, break from 1100 until 1130, second part of duty from 1130 until 1400, return to depot and cash in to clock off at 1415. 

Thanks Roar and G-CPTN, your comments are appreciated.

and thanks Roar for the working day example you gave.

Roar - Using the working day example that you gave, other than the 30 min break, are there other opportunities during the shift, to go use the toilet or grab a drink. Can a driver have a drink with him/her in the cab? Eg: bottle of water or flask.

Cheers
(11 May 2015, 9:12 pm)thetravelman wrote Using the working day example that you gave, other than the 30 min break, are there other opportunities during the shift, to go use the toilet or grab a drink. Can a driver have a drink with him/her in the cab? Eg: bottle of water or flask.
Some drivers (and I'm not including GNE drivers here) grab the time between arrival and departure for a quick smoke.
Of course they leave the bus for this.

It is sad (IMO) that some people are addicted to nicotine to that extent (or do they consider it their right to smoke when they have the opportunity?).
From the following photo: https://flic.kr/p/skCtkd

10 in total have now gone to the North East, I suspect that there will be no more for the time being as along with these 10, eight Tridents and 2 Darts have gone to Plymouth. With service changes needing a slight increase in vehicle requirement there should be no more departures from Brighton and Hove. 

There are rumours of more new vehicles being due later in the year which will release further Omnidekkas so I suspect more may be bound for the North East later in the year.
6129 and 6132 have not yet arrived so there are currently only 10 Omnidekkas in the fleet from Brighton. There will deffinitely be a gap in the numbers if the 10 vehicles are all that have got for the time being.
Site Administrator
(11 May 2015, 8:44 pm)leestransportphotos wrote When I was at that age I couldn't care less what bus I got on. And if I'm honest, is a 3/4 year old going to understand? Probably not

I like how the person who hasn't attended any of the launches is arguing with the person who has attended the majority!

The young children present at the launches I have attended have most definitely been aware of what has been going on, and have all been keen to look inside the new buses, and try out the leather seats etc. The children moreso are especially keen to get their photograph taken witn the "selfie bus".

This is an extremely good marketing tool, as the parents/guardians of the children are likely to upload the photos of their children with the "selfie bus" to Social Media. As the "selfie bus" is branded especially for the service(s) being promoted, it is clear what is being marketed.
5403 is allowing me to connect and authenticate to the WiFi via the landing page, but I've no data connection beyond that. I remain connected to the access point though.
(12 May 2015, 5:13 am)Dan wrote I like how the person who hasn't attended any of the launches is arguing with the person who has attended the majority!

The young children present at the launches I have attended have most definitely been aware of what has been going on, and have all been keen to look inside the new buses, and try out the leather seats etc. The children moreso are especially keen to get their photograph taken witn the "selfie bus".

This is an extremely good marketing tool, as the parents/guardians of the children are likely to upload the photos of their children with the "selfie bus" to Social Media. As the "selfie bus" is branded especially for the service(s) being promoted, it is clear what is being marketed.

The reason I haven't been to any of the launches is because I'm in a crucial time at school, with my first exam today. 

I would have attended them if it wasn't for Go North East's stupid dates.
Site Administrator
(12 May 2015, 6:16 am)leestransportphotos wrote The reason I haven't been to any of the launches is because I'm in a crucial time at school, with my first exam today. 

I would have attended them if it wasn't for Go North East's stupid dates.

The purpose of the events is not for bus enthusiasts to get photographs.

Don't get me wrong, bus enthusiasts generate a fair amount of publicity by talking about the new buses and uploading photographs of them to Social Media platforms, but the main purpose of the events is to let customers know about the new buses they will soon see on the services they use...
(12 May 2015, 6:18 am)Dan wrote The purpose of the events is not for bus enthusiasts to get photographs.

I didn't say it was. 

I did not say once that I wanted to go and take photographs. If I'm honest I don't see the point at getting pictures at launches because they're not going to dissapear, there's plenty more time to take pictures.

I wanted to go to the event to find out about the bus, have a look, see if I like it etc... which it is very hard to do when it is full of people. 
Marxista Fozzski
Think I might have a look up to Newcastle on Friday for The Red Kite launch if I am not busy i.e. I am not summoned to the clinic for whatever reason...It is bad enough having to go tomorrow on my birthday, providing piss samples and all that
(12 May 2015, 9:28 am)MrFozz wrote Think I might have a look up to Newcastle on Friday for The Red Kite launch if I am not busy i.e. I am not summoned to the clinic for whatever reason...It is bad enough having to go tomorrow on my birthday, providing piss samples and all that

Happy birthday mate
Site Administrator
(12 May 2015, 2:09 pm)JP6004 wrote GNE have updated their fleet list

Movements are as follows:
.png GNE_fleetnews.png

More or less everything had already been covered here on the forum, apart from the sale of 4855 (R855 PRG).
There was speculation some time ago about Go North East relocating from Chester le Street to Barley Mow on the site occupied by Car Craft.
Car Craft have now gone into administration and the site has been cleared off all cars and office equipment. This once again opens up the opportunity for GNE to consider the use of the site for a new depot.
(12 May 2015, 3:03 pm)entiDanNed wrote Movements are as follows:

More or less everything had already been covered here on the forum, apart from the sale of 4855 (R855 PRG).

I know it has already been mentioned on here, it was more for the benefit of people like me who prefer to see it than read it
(12 May 2015, 3:42 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote There was speculation some time ago about Go North East relocating from Chester le Street to Barley Mow on the site occupied by Car Craft.
Car Craft have now gone into administration and the site has been cleared off all cars and office equipment. This once again opens up the opportunity for GNE to consider the use of the site for a new depot.

I wonder if the rumour that Stanley, Washington and Chester Le Street depots will be combined into 1 could be true  then
Site Administrator
(12 May 2015, 3:42 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote There was speculation some time ago about Go North East relocating from Chester le Street to Barley Mow on the site occupied by Car Craft.

I'd suggest that this site is perhaps one of the most suitable, if Go North East was to retain the current building (with modifications). Not too far away from Washington, either, if this depot was to be merged into it.

There's even pre-built offices for the office staff at Chester-le-Street!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.882379...e2!6m1!1e1

Would be an interesting development, that's for sure, but I doubt we'll see anything like this happen until a final decision is made on Quality Contracts.

I still don't think it would be suitable, if only because of the current road infrastructure.

Unless something was changed and some sort of traffic junction introduced (along with moving the bus stop), then the buses could be queuing to get in and out.
Picktree Lane can be bad, but at least the traffic is usually at a crawl or standstill come rush hour.

That stretch of Durham Road, can be constantly flowing with traffic.
It is bad enough getting out of Dorset Avenue, Barley Mow shops or Chip Shop car park in a car, never mind getting out of Carcraft in a bus.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'