You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(14 May 2015, 6:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote I was thinking the Cadets would be moved on soon. At least from front line duties.
If they're 10/11 years old now, how long will they have left?

Maybe not?

Proabables will be, hopefully they get scania's.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 May 2015, 4:50 pm)Michael wrote I think it looks good, least its the correct colours this time! Tongue 

Would imagine the full allocation will become Cadet now.

Have to say the Branding looks fantastic, to be honest this, X66, C&C and the Red Kites all look fantastic in personal opinion, seems as though Go North East are going that extra mile to ensure their branded services stand out more, the above are certainly eye catching, hopefully a sign of things to come in the future, less of some the basic bland brands that we have currently such as Highwayman, East Durham and Waggonway to name a few.
(14 May 2015, 7:32 pm)Malarkey wrote Have to say the Branding looks fantastic, to be honest this, X66, C&C and the Red Kites all look fantastic in personal opinion, seems as though Go North East are going that extra mile to ensure their branded services stand out more, the above are certainly eye catching, hopefully a sign of things to come in the future, less of some the basic bland brands that we have currently such as Highwayman, East Durham and Waggonway to name a few.

I really think the Waggonway brand could be improved to include more of Beamish on it. 

All the new brands look good. 

It looks like GNE have finally dropped the East Durham name from the 238, as its Go North East 238 on the new timetable. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 May 2015, 7:38 pm)Michael wrote I really think the Waggonway brand could be improved to include more of Beamish on it. 

It looks like GNE have finally dropped the East Durham name from the 238, as its Go North East 238 on the new timetable. 

Think the Waggonway could do with New Vehicles alongside a Brand Relaunch, had 4956 on the 28A from Beamish to Chester le Street yesterday and it sounded dreadful, lacked power and speed, suppose the amount of Pot Holes around Pelton doesnt help there condition either mind, which would then beg the question of whether any form of Bus would remain in good condition after being on those services for a long period of time.

As for the 238 I think that is a good move bringing it under the Corporate Banner, as to be honest it scraped the perimeter of the East Durham without serving a major part of the Area, also think their should be improved access for a Service to Washington and Sunderland for the OAPs who live on section of Barnwell which the 238/239 will serve #BringBackThe493.
(14 May 2015, 7:59 pm)Malarkey wrote Think the Waggonway could do with New Vehicles alongside a Brand Relaunch, had 4956 on the 28A from Beamish to Chester le Street yesterday and it sounded dreadful, lacked power and speed, suppose the amount of Pot Holes around Pelton doesnt help there condition either mind, which would then beg the question of whether any form of Bus would remain in good condition after being on those services for a long period of time.

As for the 238 I think that is a good move bringing it under the Corporate Banner, as to be honest it scraped the perimeter of the East Durham without serving a major part of the Area, also think their should be improved access for a Service to Washington and Sunderland for the OAPs who live on section of Barnwell which the 238/239 will serve #BringBackThe493.

That's good, Streetlites?, Tongue 

GNE could then do a launch at Beamish, along with Chester-le-street and Newcastle, I also think they should do more promotion for the 128, maybe try it on Sundays? 

As for the 238, its a good move, wonder what buses they'll use, as its PVR is now 3, B10's, until replacements can be brought in?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 May 2015, 7:38 pm)Michael wrote I really think the Waggonway brand could be improved to include more of Beamish on it. 

Well GNE tend to dilute their brands before newer buses are allocated. Take the red angel, cobalt clipper & X9/X10 for example
(14 May 2015, 8:10 pm)JP6004 wrote Well GNE tend to dilute their brands before newer buses are allocated. Take the red angel, cobalt clipper & X9/X10 for example

The Cobalt Clipper livery introduced in 2010 was like that because of the introduction of Mercs.

On another note, are anymore demonstrators due?
(14 May 2015, 8:06 pm)Michael wrote That's a good, Streetlites?, Tongue 

GNE could then do a launch at Beamish, along with Chester-le-street and Newcastle, I also think they should do more promotion for the 128, maybe try it on Sundays? 

As for the 238, its a good move, wonder what buses they'll use, as its PVR is now 3, B10's, until replacements can be brought in?

I if you fancy lying in a Hospital Bed with a Broken Back, felt a few pot holes on the C&Cs yesterday between Consett and Chester and they didnt feel very nice, particularly with an already bad back.

Think the two Nexus Solo SRs will be used alongside an MPD, As I dont think anything bigger could manage to get around the Area of Barnwell in which the Service will serve.
(14 May 2015, 8:06 pm)Michael wrote That's good, Streetlites?, Tongue 

(14 May 2015, 8:15 pm)Malarkey wrote I if you fancy lying in a Hospital Bed with a Broken Back, felt a few pot holes on the C&Cs yesterday between Consett and Chester and they didnt feel very nice, particularly with an already bad back.

Think the two Nexus Solo SRs will be used alongside an MPD, As I dont think anything bigger could manage to get around the Area of Barnwell in which the Service will serve.

OK used to send more than a minibus around Barnwell, don't think it was full size though.
A Renown would never het through the 'hole in the wall' at Old Penshaw.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 May 2015, 8:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote OK used to send more than a minibus around Barnwell, don't think it was full size though.
A Renown would never het through the 'hole in the wall' at Old Penshaw.
From what I can remember the 493/79/238/239 has always been minibus operated though, always been a Solo or an MPD depending on who has been operating the service.
(14 May 2015, 8:26 pm)Malarkey wrote From what I can remember the 493/79/238/239 has always been minibus operated though, always been a Solo or an MPD depending on who has been operating the service.

Yeah ,you are right.

The 156 was more of an old school midi-bus sized vehicle when OK had it.

edit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajax46/674..._ok_travel Like this
(14 May 2015, 8:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah ,you are right.

The 156 was more of an old school midi-bus sized vehicle when OK had it.

edit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajax46/674..._ok_travel Like this

Out of interest, what did Northern use when they operated the service (156) prior to deregulation?

There was also a 157 (a minibus, IIRC) which operated around Barnwell after 1986. 
Had my first encounter with a GNE Revenue Protection officer today. I knew that Stagecoach hired a few members of staff around the North East to carry out ticket checks but this was the first time that I saw a GNE member of staff checking tickets.
Site Administrator
(14 May 2015, 7:32 pm)Malarkey wrote Have to say the Branding looks fantastic, to be honest this, X66, C&C and the Red Kites all look fantastic in personal opinion, seems as though Go North East are going that extra mile to ensure their branded services stand out more, the above are certainly eye catching, hopefully a sign of things to come in the future, less of some the basic bland brands that we have currently such as Highwayman, East Durham and Waggonway to name a few.

Nice to see some positive comments around these parts as of late..!

I know I'm ever so slightly bias, but I do agree that the new brand designs look very smart and professionally-designed. Can't wait to see the Black Cats one on a bus!

This, of course, is one of the new brands to be unveiled in Sunderland, which was mentioned on Go North East's staff newsletter posted online elsewhere. More still to come - sit tight... Wink
(15 May 2015, 4:02 am)Dan wrote This, of course, is one of the new brands to be unveiled in Sunderland, which was mentioned on Go North East's staff newsletter posted online elsewhere. More still to come - sit tight... Wink

You tease....I would never dream of doing anything like that... Tongue
(15 May 2015, 4:02 am)Dan wrote Nice to see some positive comments around these parts as of late..!

I know I'm ever so slightly bias, but I do agree that the new brand designs look very smart and professionally-designed. Can't wait to see the Black Cats one on a bus!

This, of course, is one of the new brands to be unveiled in Sunderland, which was mentioned on Go North East's staff newsletter posted online elsewhere. More still to come - sit tight... Wink

Wasn't 2 new brands mentioned, i had a look back from the last couple of months but couldn't see the post..

If so i would imagine the next new brand will be 35/35A/36... i can see the 61 becoming Silver Arrows. 

Dan, will the 33/33A/39 be all Cadet ran when they get branded
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 May 2015, 9:23 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Out of interest, what did Northern use when they operated the service (156) prior to deregulation?

There was also a 157 (a minibus, IIRC) which operated around Barnwell after 1986.

I have no idea. Wasn't too familiar with those parts nor the services which ran around them, until a few years later.

Providing it went through the hole, I am guessing it was something small.
(14 May 2015, 8:15 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote The Cobalt Clipper livery introduced in 2010 was like that because of the introduction of Mercs.

On another note, are anymore demonstrators due?

Haven't heard anything but wouldn't mind having a ride of the new StreetDeck from Wrightbus or the new E200. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 May 2015, 6:20 am)Andreos1 wrote I have no idea. Wasn't too familiar with those parts nor the services which ran around them, until a few years later.

Providing it went through the hole, I am guessing it was something small.

I'm going to guess 'the hole' is beyond the termini of the 156.

.bmp Scan 3.bmp

So, in the scan above, the hole would be the bit where the 157 loops around Barnwell?
(15 May 2015, 6:48 am)MurdnunoC wrote I'm going to guess 'the hole' is beyond the termini of the 156.

So, in the scan above, the hole would be the bit where the 157 loops around Barnwell?

On that map, it is where the 157 is, just above the E in Penshaw.

The road narrows, to a very narrow road. Very tight turn at the top, before going through Penshaw village. It is then single track again, as it goes down the hill - before widening out again.
Marxista Fozzski
(14 May 2015, 11:00 pm)Simmy wrote Had my first encounter with a GNE Revenue Protection officer today. I knew that Stagecoach hired a few members of staff around the North East to carry out ticket checks but this was the first time that I saw a GNE member of staff checking tickets.

Probably have been Adrian, think there is only 2 of them who cover most of GNE's network
Sorry, I'm just catching up with posts and that now and the 39 timetable doesn't have the branding on, or am I completely missing something?
Site Administrator
(15 May 2015, 8:41 am)Adam wrote Sorry, I'm just catching up with posts and that now and the 39 timetable doesn't have the branding on, or am I completely missing something?

Not sure what this will look like, as it's just a screenshot from the timetable I downloaded earlier on my phone, but see below:

.png 2015-05-15 10.56.02.png

The proper version should be kicking about on the timetable on the 31 May changes article.
(15 May 2015, 9:56 am)Dan wrote Not sure what this will look like, as it's just a screenshot from the timetable I downloaded earlier on my phone, but see below:

The proper version should be kicking about on the timetable on the 31 May changes article.

Ah thank you! Looks very good that. 

I tried the link to the timetable Michael posted yesterday, and the one from the 31st May changes section on the GNE website, but both just show the actual timetable without the fancy front cover with the picture of the bus on, if you get what I mean?
Red Kite Branded Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrid (5415 NK15 EOF) is the Vehicle in Attendence at todays Launch on Northumberland Street in Newcastle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/

Managed to avoid Kenco, Keven "The Tramp", Gary Devlin and someone else after coming out of Greggs, before making a quick dash down Pilgrim Street for an Appointment.
GNE Chester-le-street travel shop still have the 26/26A timetables on the shelves.

Got the x7 this morning from Peterlee just before 8am, arriving at Sunderland for half 8, the bus was like a ghost, only about 4 passengers from Peterlee and 2 got off at seaham and 5 passengers boarded, used to be wedged all the way to Sunderland interchange awhile ago when I used to get it each working day, I know theirs an arriva x21 about 20 minutes beforehand but that left Peterlee to Sunderland with about 6 passengers on.

Site Administrator
(15 May 2015, 3:48 pm)cbma06 wrote Got the x7 this morning from Peterlee just before 8am, arriving at Sunderland for half 8, the bus was like a ghost, only about 4 passengers from Peterlee and 2 got off at seaham and 5 passengers boarded, used to be wedged all the way to Sunderland interchange awhile ago when I used to get it each working day, I know theirs an arriva x21 about 20 minutes beforehand but that left Peterlee to Sunderland with about 6 passengers on.

Odd! As you say, that one used to be absolutely packed. The 22 and 23 services around that time were fairly quiet too, as I saw them (for the first time in quite a while, given that I now head in the opposite direction each morning on the Metro).