Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(18 May 2015, 12:11 pm)Coppercap40 wrote Can anyone tell me which service 24 workings the 2 Durham E400 s are likely to appear on please

I know that theirs usually a double decker doing the 24X, but don't know what this bus does afterwards.

If the 2 Durham E400s were originally supposed to be for service 6, I wont be surprised if their see service on the 6 and probably service X24 (metrocentre). when service 6 gets sapphire branded later on this year then probably those 2 E400's will be on that service, Since living on the 24 route I cant see service 24 being warranted 2 deckers on.

Arriva facebook page:

We are pleased to announce services 22 & 24 have been given a VIP Sapphire upgrade!

We will officially launch the new buses on 26th May 2015 at -

Durham Market Place (am)
Dalton Park (pm)

Come down for a real VIP experience. We will have one of our new buses on display, giveaways, a DJ, Free Photo Keying’s….AND A VIP CELEBRITY GUEST!!!!

We also have a special VIP Prize up for grabs! All will be revealed this week so watch this space!!!

https://www.facebook.com/arrivanortheast...73/?type=1

its ashame that the picture is of a branded e400 service 7.

Site Administrator
(18 May 2015, 2:54 pm)cbma06 wrote Arriva facebook page:

We are pleased to announce services 22 & 24 have been given a VIP Sapphire upgrade!

Durham Market Place (am)
Dalton Park (pm)

Come down for a real VIP experience. We will have one of our new buses on display, giveaways, a DJ, Free Photo Keying’s….AND A VIP CELEBRITY GUEST!!!!

We also have a special VIP Prize up for grabs! All will be revealed this week so watch this space!!!

I suggest everyone prepares for the uproar of angry enthusiasts who are unable to attend the launch due to other commitments, as weekday launches for new buses are completely unsuitable and don't achieve their purpose in the slightest...
(18 May 2015, 2:58 pm)Dan wrote I suggest everyone prepares for the uproar of angry enthusiasts who are unable to attend the launch due to other commitments, as weekday launches for new buses are completely unsuitable and don't achieve their purpose in the slightest...

It's half term next week. 
Site Administrator
(18 May 2015, 3:17 pm)Tom wrote It's half term next week. 

And?

Just because the scholars on the forum can attend doesn't mean everyone else can. What about those who work?

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek - I didn't expect to see any complaints at all. This sort of thing has only ever attracted a periodical moan from myself in the past, but it's World War 3 when GNE tells everyone they are having a weekday launch...
(18 May 2015, 3:29 pm)Dan wrote And?

Just because the scholars on the forum can attend doesn't mean everyone else can. What about those who work?

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek - I didn't expect to see any complaints at all. This sort of thing has only ever attracted a periodical moan from myself in the past, but it's World War 3 when GNE tells everyone they are having a weekday launch...

I understood what you were referring to as soon as i read the post. I cant't help but agree.

I reckon a school holiday launch, coupled with a night time option, is the best way to do it. 

As it's in the holidays, school kids will be able to go, and especially those in the lower years, may encourage their parents to use the bus, as they might be attracted by the WiFi etc. 
(18 May 2015, 2:58 pm)Dan wrote I suggest everyone prepares for the uproar of angry enthusiasts who are unable to attend the launch due to other commitments, as weekday launches for new buses are completely unsuitable and don't achieve their purpose in the slightest...

Can't go. 

Because I have better things to do, ie watch paint dry or change baby's nappies or I completely can't be bothered.

______

From the new 1 timetable. Extended to Cresswell on Sundays - PVR 2.
Service 1 has been extended from Ashington to Cresswell (by our normal Mon to Sat daytime route) on a trial basis until 24th September 2015. This initiative has been made possible by Arriva working in partnership with CELL BigLocal, a community group representing the interests of Cresswell, Ellington, Linton and Lynemouth residents. We hope you will take advantage of this new Sunday/Bank Holiday facility.
(18 May 2015, 2:54 pm)cbma06 wrote Arriva facebook page:

Durham Market Place (am)
Dalton Park (pm)

Isnt by any chance going to be a "Royal Impersonator" is it?
Site Administrator
(18 May 2015, 3:35 pm)mb134 wrote I reckon a school holiday launch, coupled with a night time option, is the best way to do it. 

As it's in the holidays, school kids will be able to go, and especially those in the lower years, may encourage their parents to use the bus, as they might be attracted by the WiFi etc. 

In all honesty, there's probably no right or wrong way of doing publicity launches. The operators will have a target market in mind, and they'll arrange their events so that they appeal to most of the people in that audience. Those responsible for arranging the events probably have more marketing experience than most of us on the forum, and they'll have their reasoning for choosing Location X at Time Y for Duration Z.

It's a great shame that not all enthusiasts can attend these launches even if they would like to, but sadly the bus operators aren't reaching out to enthusiasts.

Yeah sadly there is no way Arriva or Go North East could pick a day to suit the whole bus enthusiast community as some members on here will work weekends so I think if they ever do a weekend launch people should moan about that too in the same way everyone goes on about weekday launches.

Also Saturday's aren't always possible in some places as some places often have things going on in market places, in this case Durham would not be possible as there is a market on Saturday's so there wouldn't really be anywhere to put a bus so I think we should all bare that in mind too.

There is always going to be people complaining that they can't make it to these launches and there is no real right or wrong day to do a launch.
(18 May 2015, 3:41 pm)Malarkey wrote Isnt by any chance going to be a "Royal Impersonator" is it?
You often end up with the Will and Kate impersonaters at these Sapphire launches so will probably be the same again or we may even get to see her majesty.
Service launches are not aimed at bus enthusiasts. They are aimed at the people who will use it on a regular basis - not to people who will often just take photos of them going past.
I'll be honest, I would've liked to have seen a launch nearer the Hartlepool end of the route aswell but thats just me not wanting to go to Durham or Dalton Park to see a bus which will end up through here anyway.
Completely agree with the points made regarding operators not choosing dates to suit enthusiasts, as most will try to get on the bus in service, at least I'd prefer to actually have a ride on one rather than just having a look while stationary. 

In all honesty, I only really see the point of launches for the general public, as potential (or current) passengers, yes it might be nice for enthusiasts to attend, but the buses will be in service for a good 10 years. 
(18 May 2015, 4:07 pm)Jimmi wrote You often end up with the Will and Kate impersonaters at these Sapphire launches so will probably be the same again or we may even get to see her majesty.

Always thought Arriva should of Utilised the MAX/Sapphire Launches by using an Action Hero Persona, rather than fake Royals and a Robot which squirts Water.

#TheNameIsSapphireMAXSapphire
(18 May 2015, 4:14 pm)Robert wrote Service launches are not aimed at bus enthusiasts. They are aimed at the people who will use it on a regular basis - not to people who will often just take photos of them going past.
Yeah that's true as well.

Doing weekday launches do attract some people, there was a fair few at both MAX X12 launches in Durham the other week and in Darlington for the MAX launch and you all have anyone walking past who will see the bus as well who may be left do impressed they may decide to use the bus. Also you usually have a photographer to take photos of the bus and launch for stuff like their websites and Facebook and possibly for the press as well.

Most Arriva launches recently have been held around 4pm when people are making there way home from work, college and school and I think this is a good time to do this as you may attract these people who work or whatever so you may draw more people to use the bus on a daily basis and buy weekly tickets whereas on a Saturday you are probably more likely to attract people who may use the service once and people interested in free tat. So I think weekday launches are a good thing in some ways.
(18 May 2015, 3:23 pm)Cock Robin wrote 1409. Seems odd seeing an old livery Pulsar on the 27!

I'm told 1422 has turned up by today too. Things are starting to move...
1464 and 1465 have gone temporarily to Blyth to help flush their Quorum Geminis out for MAX refurbishment (X4/X5)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

The Sapphire E400's rear screens have been updated, they just show 7 in the centre of the screen when in service, and Sapphire in tiny writing when not in service. Doesn't look good in my opinion.
(19 May 2015, 5:17 am)MrPottski wrote The Sapphire E400's rear screens have been updated, they just show 7 in the centre of the screen when in service, and Sapphire in tiny writing when not in service. Doesn't look good in my opinion.

Happened to all of Ashington's (14 plates) in about October as well, with the exception of 7524, they're all still like that...
Kit
Unregistered
1457 on yesterday's 1710 X5 had free wi-fi with generic Arriva login page...as did 1491 tonight. Any ideas what's happening with Stockton's Pulsars?
(19 May 2015, 5:03 pm)Kit wrote 1457 on yesterday's 1710 X5 had free wi-fi with generic Arriva login page...as did 1491 tonight. Any ideas what's happening with Stockton's Pulsars?

Quite a few of the higher numbered Pulsars have been fitted with wi-fi for use on service 15, with a rebrand coming soon. As far as I'm aware it should be 1457-60, 1484-92/94 ?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(19 May 2015, 6:23 pm)Jimmi wrote Looks like the Sapphire 22/24 launches next Tuesday will be from 10am in Durham and from 12pm at Dalton Park.

Should of come to Sunderland to...missed a massive opportunity to get people to jump from GNE to them! 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 May 2015, 6:27 pm)Michael wrote Should of come to Sunderland to...missed a massive opportunity to get people to jump from GNE to them! 

I doubt they will swipe many people from GNE as they have a more frequent service than Arriva do, although it may have swayed a few people to travel to Peterlee from Sunderland way.

Doesn't look like there will be much going on at these launches considering the time difference between the two.

Not sure if I can be bothered to go, especially as I will be out late the night before in Sunderland.