You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
Any more of the Red Kite Omnicities being repainted this week?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 May 2015, 9:09 pm)citaro5284 wrote I think there is a Cobalt Clipper with a rear advert as well, just caught a glimpse of one when coming home last night.  Can anyone confirm?

It's 6111, and it's for the Silverlink Clinic.
.jpg image.jpg
Burst Watermain near Gateshead Stadium, buses diverted between G'head and Heworth to Felling Square - Delays of upto 20mins
6128 is now at stanley sitting at the front of the depot at 8am today
On the subject of advertising, are the Cobalt Clippers making good money outside of peak times? I know that they're always packed to and from Cobalt and during the PM peak times from Newcastle mostly between 16:00 and 17:00 when the 306 / 308 are slightly reduced to help improve reliability but, I think GNE seriously need to look into the timings of both the 309 / 310 services. What is the point of having the services running like this:

Arriva arriving at Haymarket Monday to Saturday: 00, 08, 15, 23, 30, 38, 45, 53
GNE arriving at Haymarket Monday to Saturday: 04, 11, 19, 26, 34, 41, 49, 46
Arriva leaving Haymarket Monday to Saturday: 07, 14, 22, 29, 37, 44, 52, 59
GNE leaving Haymarket Monday to Saturday: 02, 10, 17, 25, 32, 40, 47, 55
Arriva leaving Haymarket Mon to Fri PM Peak between 5 and 6 pm: 02, 09, 17, 24, 32, 39, 47, 54
GNE leaving Haymarket Mon to Fri PM Peak between 5 and 6pm: 03, 11, 18, 26, 34, 42, 50, 58
Arriva arriving at Haymarket Evenings: 05, 20, 35, 50
Arriva leaving Haymarket Evenings: 10, 25, 40, 55
GNE arriving at Haymarket Evenings: 12, 42
GNE leaving Haymarket Evenings: 15, 45
Arriva arriving at Haymarket Sunday Daytime: 00, 15, 30, 45
Arriva leaving Haymarket Sunday Daytime: 07, 22, 37, 52
GNE arriving at Haymarket Sunday Daytime: 06, 21, 36, 51
GNE leaving Haymarket Sunday daytime: 00, 15, 30, 45

I know that the 309 needs to leave between 45 and 50 minutes to the hour during the evenings for the shift patterns at Cobalt but if GNE re-timed the services to run just minutes (no more then 2 minutes before the 306 and no more than 3 minutes before the 308) before an Arriva service between Newcastle and Station road and vice versa, they'd make far more money and could even be one of GNE's most profitable services. The majority of people on that stretch turn up on the "first bus that comes" and they've both got far more potential to make money.
(30 May 2015, 2:17 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I know that the 309 needs to leave between 45 and 50 minutes to the hour during the evenings for the shift patterns at Cobalt but if GNE re-timed the services to run just minutes (no more then 2 minutes before the 306 and no more than 3 minutes before the 308) before an Arriva service between Newcastle and Station road and vice versa, they'd make far more money and could even be one of GNE's most profitable services. The majority of people on that stretch turn up on the "first bus that comes" and they've both got far more potential to make money.

Do you not think that Arriva would do the same, as soon as the amendment from GNE goes in to VOSA?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(30 May 2015, 2:29 pm)aureolin wrote Do you not think that Arriva would do the same, as soon as the amendment from GNE goes in to VOSA?

Well that is what you call competition. I know that Arriva could do the same but, they also have another profitable corridor on the 306 / 308 routes between Billy Mill and Willington Square as well as the section of the 308 between Willington Square and Station Road. As long as GNE kept out of their patch down that way (most people still prefer the 308 over the 309 #psychology #itgansdoonthe'motaway'), they wouldn't be too bothered about the changes and lets not forget Arriva's cheaper fares too if people were willing to wait another couple of minutes.
Just seen Marcus' lady driving 4927 on an X25 to Newcastle. At Edmondsley now if you want to go to and admire her Tongue
(30 May 2015, 2:34 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well that is what you call competition. I know that Arriva could do the same but, they also have another profitable corridor on the 306 / 308 routes between Billy Mill and Willington Square as well as the section of the 308 between Willington Square and Station Road. As long as GNE kept out of their patch down that way (most people still prefer the 308 over the 309 #psychology #itgansdoonthe'motaway'), they wouldn't be too bothered about the changes and lets not forget Arriva's cheaper fares too if people were willing to wait another couple of minutes.

But where would it stop? Two companies could continuously submit amendments to their timetable until they're back to square one, or alternatively, could improve the marketing of their service to make it appeal more. Whether this be cost, on board technology, or whatever else.
(30 May 2015, 3:03 pm)aureolin wrote But where would it stop? Two companies could continuously submit amendments to their timetable until they're back to square one, or alternatively, could improve the marketing of their service to make it appeal more. Whether this be cost, on board technology, or whatever else.

But that is the way that it works I'm afraid. On a busy corridor, passengers jump on the first bus that they can get in the majority of circumstances and the bus that can provide the service after waiting the longest, nigh on always makes the most money. Arriva could easily rebel but, they could also look at it from a P.O.V that they might get more passengers in their turf down towards Billy Mill due to fewer reliability issues that the common corridors outside of cities (i.e Low Fell, Old Durham Road) can cause with high volumes of passengers in very built up areas with traffic lights and high volumes of traffic. 
(30 May 2015, 3:38 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote But that is the way that it works I'm afraid. On a busy corridor, passengers jump on the first bus that they can get in the majority of circumstances and the bus that can provide the service after waiting the longest, nigh on always makes the most money. Arriva could easily rebel but, they could also look at it from a P.O.V that they might get more passengers in their turf down towards Billy Mill due to fewer reliability issues that the common corridors outside of cities (i.e Low Fell, Old Durham Road) can cause with high volumes of passengers in very built up areas with traffic lights and high volumes of traffic. 
I disagree. For example several members have noted that passengers let the X12 go by on Durham Road, and instead opt for a 21. This includes OAPs, who have the luxury of using any bus they want for nowt.

For commuters, if one company offer a better marketed ticketing option than another, then that's going to dictate what service they use. Same goes with those purchasing singles or returns. Customers aren't daft, and generally know who provides a cheaper service down x corridor.
(30 May 2015, 3:08 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Huh Tongue

I hope it was her anyway Tongue The hair matched the photo you sent me of her driving a Whey Aye Five 0 Omnicity and the face looked the same too. Unless she has a twin. Dodgy
(30 May 2015, 4:18 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote Last day for the 27X today with 563 as the allocated vehicle.
It's always a shame to see a service go, but it merely carried fresh air whenever I seen it.
(30 May 2015, 6:40 pm)Racer_Experience wrote 5410 looks nice at Stanley - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/18...ed-public/

there is a possibility this will enter service either tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday

Looks the same as the rest of the batch.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(30 May 2015, 7:05 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Looks the same as the rest of the batch.

still looks lovely was in stanley hoping to see a few ominidekka but saw 3 couldnt get shots they were at angles where some vehicles were obstructing my view and then i saw 5410 and thought knowing me (Bazza) i would photo it
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(30 May 2015, 3:45 pm)Robert wrote I hope it was her anyway Tongue The hair matched the photo you sent me of her driving a Whey Aye Five 0 Omnicity and the face looked the same too. Unless she has a twin. Dodgy

Pat Armstrong by any chance? Or Audrey, they kinda look like each other lol... Except Audrey is Scottish 

I though GNE's website was due to be updated today?
A number of the purple Solars have seen better days, but after the curse of 5213 being omnipresent over a vast period of 2014, 5215 is the latest to turn up whenever I need a purple Solar.

The water ingress/condensation has made lovely patterns on the frame by the discs, the metal patch covering a hole in the luggage racks adds a 'Mad Max' feel to it, the air con via the gaps in the saloon doors are lush on a hot day and the rattles? Aye...
The handwritten note on the disused tickets bin, makes me think Banksy has been travelling and paying a fortune whilst he/she is at it!

Sounds decent mechanically, but the interior is not too appealing on the aye.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(30 May 2015, 8:09 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Pat Armstrong by any chance? Or Audrey, they kinda look like each other lol... Except Audrey is Scottish

Most likely Pat, she did my scholars service for a short while during the 2013-2014 academic year, and I got to know her a bit. If I ever saw her after she finished driving my scholars for that period, I'd go up and say hello. I think she does do the odd run on the scholars every now and then, I see her about once a month or so, but haven't for quite a while recently. Because she told me a lot about her career, I used to bring her up on the forum every now and then, it became some sort of running gag... Haha. 

I don't know who Audrey is, I used to speak to a lot of the Chester-le-Street staff, but since the rota amalgamation a year ago, I lost track of who did what, and as there seems to be so many new drivers at Chester-le-Street these days, I don't really bother. The only staff I ever really talk to these days, if I see them and have time, are Gary Wheatley and Pat. However, there are a few drivers who know me by name, who always give me a wave or say hello should I cross paths with them. Smile
(30 May 2015, 8:22 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote p
Most likely Pat, she did my scholars service for a short while during the 2013-2014 academic year, and I got to know her a bit. If I ever saw her after she finished driving my scholars for that period, I'd go up and say hello. I think she does do the odd run on the scholars every now and then, I see her about once a month or so, but haven't for quite a while recently. Because she told me a lot about her career, I used to bring her up on the forum every now and then, it became some sort of running gag... Haha. 

I don't know who Audrey is, I used to speak to a lot of the Chester-le-Street staff, but since the rota amalgamation a year ago, I lost track of who did what, and as there seems to be so many new drivers at Chester-le-Street these days, I don't really bother. The only staff I ever really talk to these days, if I see them and have time, are Gary Wheatley and Pat. However, there are a few drivers who know me by name, who always give me a wave or say hello should I cross paths with them. Smile

It was indeed Pat. Never actually seen her out and about so was a nice spot. As i said, the hair gave it away at first and then i saw the face and just confirmed my suspicions.
(30 May 2015, 8:22 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Most likely Pat, she did my scholars service for a short while during the 2013-2014 academic year, and I got to know her a bit. If I ever saw her after she finished driving my scholars for that period, I'd go up and say hello. I think she does do the odd run on the scholars every now and then, I see her about once a month or so, but haven't for quite a while recently. Because she told me a lot about her career, I used to bring her up on the forum every now and then, it became some sort of running gag... Haha. 

I don't know who Audrey is, I used to speak to a lot of the Chester-le-Street staff, but since the rota amalgamation a year ago, I lost track of who did what, and as there seems to be so many new drivers at Chester-le-Street these days, I don't really bother. The only staff I ever really talk to these days, if I see them and have time, are Gary Wheatley and Pat. However, there are a few drivers who know me by name, who always give me a wave or say hello should I cross paths with them. Smile

Audrey is about Pat's age, she has short blonde hair with brown streaks. Scottish and a bit grumpy ;-) I only know her because she went to my Mam's Slimming World class lol
(30 May 2015, 8:40 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Audrey is about Pat's age, she has short blonde hair with brown streaks. Scottish and a bit grumpy ;-) I only know her because she went to my Mam's Slimming World class lol

my cousin has some sort of slimming class to do with kettle bells lol she also ended up on an episode of Dragons Den
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(30 May 2015, 8:40 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Audrey is about Pat's age, she has short blonde hair with brown streaks. Scottish and a bit grumpy ;-) I only know her because she went to my Mam's Slimming World class lol

Was definitely Pat i saw then. Ill keep a look out for her too! The only driver i really know personally from Stanley taught my mam how to drive.
(30 May 2015, 9:56 pm)Davie wrote 563 was operating service 40A this evening, and the front and side blinds weren't working

Yes they were. Why wouldn't they be working? I seen it pass Eldon Square and every blind was working
(30 May 2015, 9:56 pm)Davie wrote 563 was operating service 40A this evening, and the front and side blinds weren't working

The blinds do go blank for a few seconds when being changed or if the vehicle is stationary with the master switch off. Might it have been one of these possibilities?