You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Washington Area Development
(17 Dec 2013, 6:43 pm)andreos1 wrote Apparently Tesco have been given the green light at Peel.

At the expense of Morrisons at Armstrong I believe. Shame really, as that land (ex-Dickens site) has already sat vacant for 10+ years.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 Dec 2013, 6:57 pm)aureolin wrote At the expense of Morrisons at Armstrong I believe. Shame really, as that land (ex-Dickens site) has already sat vacant for 10+ years.

Heard about Morrisons being a bit miffed, but didn't know where their store was planned for.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Just as a recap - B&M are on the site, which was earmarked for Tesco at Peel.
Rumour has it, B&M are renting from Tesco, who own the site/building.

The leisure centre is progressing well.
Nowt has changed on the site of the proposed Cinema for quite a while now.
(18 Dec 2014, 11:50 am)Andreos1 wrote Just as a recap - B&M are on the site, which was earmarked for Tesco at Peel.
Rumour has it, B&M are renting from Tesco, who own the site/building.

The leisure centre is progressing well.
Nowt has changed on the site of the proposed Cinema for quite a while now.

I heard a few months back that there were plans in place to knock down Homebase etc across the Road from Mcdonalds etc, and then Build the Proposed Tesco along with a Multi Story Car Park on that Land, As for the Leisure Centre I think might be ahead of Schedule as looks almost complete from I seen when walking past to through Princess Anne Park on my way home Last Week.

The proposed Cinema I havent heard or read anything about that for Months now, nor has the massive pile of rubble which was formerly Cheviot House been cleared, Personally I dont we will see anything happen any time soon, Likewise for the Proposed Morrisons over by B&Q at Washington.
Adam is right. The plan was alwsys to flatten the land occupied by homemade, winsors, etc and build a tesco on stilts, with the car park below. Similar to Ashington asda I think.

There's a few delays, and I believe it ties into prudential's leisure complex at the Galleries (cinema etc). I understand that they're unhappy about tesco having a supermarket so close to the Galleries, as they feel it'll take people away from there.
(18 Dec 2014, 5:58 pm)aureolin wrote Adam is right. The plan was alwsys to flatten the land occupied by homemade, winsors, etc and build a tesco on stilts, with the car park below. Similar to Ashington asda I think.

There's a few delays, and I believe it ties into prudential's leisure complex at the Galleries (cinema etc). I understand that they're unhappy about tesco having a supermarket so close to the Galleries, as they feel it'll take people away from there.

I have to agree, there's already Asda and Sainsbury's at the galleries, don't need a Tesco's to. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2014, 6:03 pm)Michael wrote I have to agree, there's already Asda and Sainsbury's at the galleries, don't need a Tesco's to. 
It'd be nice having a supermarket away from the Galleries. Sainsbury's isn't bad, but ASDA ends up full of scratters during the day.
Morrisons ended up taking a switch bait by going to the Competition Regulator. Asda lost the Birtley Netto (to the Co-Op) and Morrisons ended up with Birtley.

Homebase at Washington is earmarked for closure during Homebase property reduction plans, hence the fact when compared to other Homebase stores in the region (Team Valley for example) it hasn't had the rebrand or refresh.

Saying that it amuses me you still see flyers on lamposts for TEXAS DIY in Washington.
Heard about this on the radio last night and forgot to mention it.

This Saturday, sees a two hour film event at Biddick Comp (or whatever it is called these days).
The film shows Washington over the years, from archive material.
I think they said tickets were available from The Millennium Centre.

edit: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hist...th-8640000
The Footbridge which runs between Glebe and Washington Galleries is in the process of been demolished, with the old Leisure Centre to follow suit in the coming weeks.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:44 pm)Malarkey wrote The Footbridge which runs between Glebe and Washington Galleries is in the process of been demolished, with the old Leisure Centre to follow suit in the coming weeks.

About time the footbridge got knocked down, its a eye sore!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:45 pm)Michael wrote About time the footbridge got knocked down, its a eye sore!

Think they are only demolishing it as far as the Leisure Centre, either way it will have to be closed fully when the Leisure Centre is Demolished.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm)Malarkey wrote Think they are only demolishing it as far as the Leisure Centre, either way it will have to be closed fully when the Leisure Centre is Demolished.

Can they take the whole lot down?

Not sure where it goes etc
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:49 pm)Michael wrote Can they take the whole lot down?

Not sure where it goes etc

The Bridge runs along the back Wall of Asda and along through to the Library/Doctors & One of the many Entrances to The Galleries Shopping Centre.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:52 pm)Malarkey wrote The Bridge runs along the back Wall of Asda and along through to the Library/Doctors & One of the many Entrances to The Galleries Shopping Centre.

Oh right, so that'll not come down fully, what they could then is tidy it up.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm)Michael wrote Oh right, so that'll not come down fully, what they could then is tidy it up.

Not to sure what they could to with it though, as it is made out of Concrete & Stone (I think)
(23 Jun 2015, 5:15 pm)Malarkey wrote Not to sure what they could to with it though, as it is made out of Concrete & Stone (I think)

My last post made no sense, i didn't read back, sorry.

Not sure then, its a eye sore.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.