You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2015
(23 Jun 2015, 2:08 pm)Tom wrote Where would Arriva operate them from?

Ashington, Morpeth maybe. Snaith's operate them from Otterburn, which is quite a distance from the likes of Whittonstall and Hexham.
surprisingly, 6124 has received a flipdot side destination disply. Assume its until more LED displays become available.
Snaith's have a small outstation at the back of Hexham auction mart which they use for parking buses overnight and on a weekend. Normally 4-5 vehicles are stabled there. Snaith's also park their smaller buses outside their driver's homes, Wark and Acomb are two such locations.

I also note from Notices and Proceedings that Milburns (formerly OO Smith) at Birtley On Tyne have increased their fleet authorisation to 6 vehicles. Birtley On Tyne lies between Hexham and Bellingham. However the state of the roads around Birtley On Tyne and weak bridge at Wark may impact on the size of the vehicles they could operate. OO Smith used to operate weekly service from Birtley to Hexham on a Tuesday.

As an aside Mr and Mrs Milburn also used to run the pub at Birtley On Tyne, the Percy Arms. Unfortunately this is now closed.

Sorry if I've gone off thread a bit.

Charles
Am I just unlucky but at random times throughout the day the #9 is always 5 mins late! Granted today it was around 1730 so didn't expect it to be on time.
(23 Jun 2015, 2:49 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Probably from Jesmond or might open a outstation at Hexham ( sorry for this being on go north east thread )

I somehow can't see it happening, given what happened last time GNE / ANE / Hexham got involved with each other...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
The error on the GNE fleet allocation document regarding 3861 and 3862 has still not been corrected in this weeks update.
(23 Jun 2015, 10:22 pm)S813 FVK wrote The error on the GNE fleet allocation document regarding 3861 and 3862 has still not been corrected in this weeks update.

It's deffo 3862 that's been withdrawn I saw 3861 on the X70 yesterday as the old saying goes they cannot get the staff these days  Tongue
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
5292 is on the same Diamond board for the 3rd day in a row now. Next 44 out of Stanley for Newcastle
(24 Jun 2015, 8:25 am)Arcticrossy92 wrote 6123 swapped with a Trident at Stanley after operating the 8:28 from Lanchester, doors weren't opening or closing correctly. Had the same problem on Saturday.

When I travelled on 6128 on Saturday, I noticed a similar problem. Doors were taking much longer to open and much longer to close than I expected. I'd say for each it was at least a 5 second process. However, despite that little issue; the bus kept to time.
(24 Jun 2015, 7:05 am)S813 FVK wrote 5292 is on the same Diamond board for the 3rd day in a row now. Next 44 out of Stanley for Newcastle

As is 5337 on Diamonds and 3887 on X43 (both were allocated to the same boards yesterday)
(24 Jun 2015, 2:42 pm)R852 PRG wrote When I travelled on 6128 on Saturday, I noticed a similar problem. Doors were taking much longer to open and much longer to close than I expected. I'd say for each it was at least a 5 second process. However, despite that little issue; the bus kept to time.

Yeah I was upstairs and could hear it taking forever, this morning however it just wouldn't open at all and when it did one of the doors kept sticking a lot! Thankfully he called it in quick and the engineer was at Stanley Bus Station with a new bus just as we pulled in 

Overall though using the X30/X31 nearly everyday I have to say the Omnidekkas are fantastic in general ..... They would be even better with wifi Wink
(24 Jun 2015, 5:19 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Yeah I was upstairs and could hear it taking forever, this morning however it just wouldn't open at all and when it did one of the doors kept sticking a lot! Thankfully he called it in quick and the engineer was at Stanley Bus Station with a new bus just as we pulled in 

Overall though using the X30/X31 nearly everyday I have to say the Omnidekkas are fantastic in general ..... They would be even better with wifi Wink

You can't have everything Smile
(24 Jun 2015, 5:19 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote They would be even better with wifi Wink

I was discussing this with LeeCalder the other day, and I mentioned that this was a chance to get WiFi on these routes to make bus travel "modern".
(24 Jun 2015, 5:38 pm)Davie wrote You can't have everything   Smile

My thoughts exactly. While it would be nice for wifi to gradually rolled out on all services, it needs to be assessed on whether it will be used enough for how much it costs to add the wifi system to each vehicle.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2015, 5:42 pm)S813 FVK wrote My thoughts exactly. While it would be nice for wifi to gradually rolled out on all services, it needs to be assessed on whether it will be used enough for how much it costs to add the wifi system to each vehicle.

It costs a few thousand pounds for the kit and then there's the ongoing data charge each month.

Whilst there is scope for current vehicles on routes to be retrofitted with Wi-Fi, it's unlikely any company will have a huge amount of capital built into their budget to retrofit Wi-Fi.

It's not necessarily dependent on how many people would use it; rather, will it increase passenger numbers, providing an increased profit to present? This is what Arriva's conversion of normal spec services to MAX and Sapphire is all about...
(24 Jun 2015, 4:35 pm)Tom wrote Any news on the East Durham solos?

Nothing yet, i had a look on the Optare site and couldn't see anything, as sometimes they have info on which compaines has bought what.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jun 2015, 6:44 pm)Michael wrote Nothing yet, i had a look on the Optare site and couldn't see anything, as sometimes they have info on which compaines has bought what.

Cheers might be a while then.
X30/X31/X70/X71/X43 - "West Durham Swift" - Revival?

Why, first of all was the West Durham Swift brand withdrawn. Although it was very plain, I always thought with the right image (Something like Red Kite - could look quite stunning? , but with image of a Swift (play on word; bird/fast(swiftly) the brand would have great potential.
With the number of old dekkers in Stanley, branded Omnicities were often substituted with old yellow palatines (1s & 2s) I understand from early launch to link with Scholars services & times, and the brand was never really promoted strongly.
Routes could possibly be extended eg to Durham with limited stops where Diamond & 15 services overlap. - or maybe just a stronger brand on existing route with better equipment?
Besides the Park View School services 884/885/886/887/888/889, does anyone know of any other school services run by Chester le Street depot?
One of them ex Brighton buses caught fire over the Tyne bridge yesterday so I hear - not a good start
Prince Bishop scania heading up towards Pallion from the Broadway with engineer as driver, looks to be heading to the depot....
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2015, 12:10 am)Acky81 wrote One of them ex Brighton buses caught fire over the Tyne bridge yesterday so I hear - not a good start

Are you sure? perhaps it was someone's pants on fire.... Big Grin
(25 Jun 2015, 7:40 am)eezypeazy wrote Are you sure? perhaps it was someone's pants on fire.... Big Grin

It seems like a coincidence that a B&H Scania OmniDekka cought fire a couple of weeks ago...in Brighton!  Wink
(25 Jun 2015, 12:10 am)Acky81 wrote One of them ex Brighton buses caught fire over the Tyne bridge yesterday so I hear - not a good start

Doubt this is true as it would of been on the Chronicle Website on Traffic Disruption section, plus the bloke who has been on Tyne Bridge since Sunday is still up there, surely he would of been forced into coming down for his own safety, and I am 100% certain he wouldnt of liked the idea of flames licking his arse, unless he was wanting a permanent tattoo of the Japanese Flag on his backside.
(24 Jun 2015, 8:05 pm)Wybus wrote Besides the Park View School services 884/885/886/887/888/889, does anyone know of any other school services run by Chester le Street depot?

878 Cardinal Hume to Wardley.