You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions
(13 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm)aureolin wrote I can beat that. I had Leyland Olympian/NC Palatine 3806 (F106UEF) one evening, when Chester had absolutely nowt else to send! I was sharp brought back to reality, as DAFs became a regular occurrence on there shortly after that... Sad

Nope. The timetable has been reduced since then, so that would probably answer the question. 

You get a decent load on sections of the route, but it's certainly not a service you see standees on.

That sounds like it would have been an excellent journey, sadly when I say Yellow Bus Olympian I mean the second hand Palatine I bodied examples which were manky inside and I was recently reminded of this when I rode one of the examples Stagecarriage acquired on the 45 Boro - Billingham.

In my experience the 50 is only really busy between Concord - Washington and Washington - Lambton? and I would not say the 50 has ever warranted a double decker when I have seen it (excluding bank holidays)
(13 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm)aureolin wrote The 50 was regularly allocated deckers for years (Olympians and Lolynes mainly), and there was little point in it. I used it every day for years, and regularly had the top deck to myself.

Having lived on the route for the best part of 15 Years, I have experienced just about everything Go North East has had to offer over the years in terms of Vehicles allocated to the service, from Olympians to Tridents/Lolynes, to Renowns, Prestiges, Solars & now Omnicities, I personally quite liked the Prestiges when they were allocated mind.
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015
(19 Jul 2015, 4:59 pm)Jimmi wrote It's sort of a mix of both, it is kind of like a metallic paint job and the colour seems to vary dependant on the light and sun etc. at times it looks more blue whereas others it looks more purple I think.

Can't see the 20/20A getting double deckers especially for the amount of vehicles that would be needed to meet the PVR of the service, buying around 20 brand new double deckers for this service would cost an absolute fortune especially if you kit it out with WiFi, charging points, announcements etc. For this reason I think if the 20/20A receives an upgrade in the next few years I think they would go for single deckers, probably StreetLite's I'd imagine.

It's sort of a mix of both, it is kind of like a metallic paint job and the colour seems to vary dependant on the light and sun etc. at times it looks more blue whereas others it looks more purple I think.

Can't see the 20/20A getting double deckers especially for the amount of vehicles that would be needed to meet the PVR of the service, buying around 20 brand new double deckers for this service would cost an absolute fortune especially if you kit it out with WiFi, charging points, announcements etc. For this reason I think if the 20/20A receives an upgrade in the next few years I think they would go for single deckers, probably StreetLite's I'd imagine.

I agree, the 20/20A PVR is currently way to high for 20 new decker's... unless they do a mixture of new deckers/new single deckers...that seems unlikely.

If they ever get new single deckers, i think they should try the Volvo 7900 on the 20/20A.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm)Michael wrote I agree, the 20/20A PVR is currently way to high for 20 new decker's... unless they do a mixture of new deckers/new single deckers...that seems unlikely.

If they ever get new single deckers, i think they should try the Volvo 7900 on the 20/20A.

Whats the PVR of service 21?

(19 Jul 2015, 5:53 pm)cbma06 wrote Whats the PVR of service 21?

All branded vehicles (including 3962/5) so 17.
(19 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm)Michael wrote I agree, the 20/20A PVR is currently way to high for 20 new decker's... unless they do a mixture of new deckers/new single deckers...that seems unlikely.

I said that a few months back, but Dan said GNE had moved away from having split allocations after what occured with the X1.

That being said the Prince Bishops PVR is made up of Wright Solars of various ages from 2001/2002 & 2004, they are also a mix of Euro 4/5 also, so it will only be a matter of time in my opinion before the Prince Bishops does receive investment, as the latter will be due to be Withdrawn from Service in the next 2 Years I would think, with the 53/54reg Examples taking backseat role in the fleet.
(19 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm)Malarkey wrote I said that a few months back, but Dan said GNE had moved away from having split allocations after what occured with the X1.

That being said the Prince Bishops PVR is made up of Wright Solars of various ages from 2001/2002 & 2004, they are also a mix of Euro 4/5 also, so it will only be a matter of time in my opinion before the Prince Bishops does receive investment, as the latter will be due to be Withdrawn from Service in the next 2 Years I would think, with the 53/54reg Examples taking backseat role in the fleet.

Maybe Prince Bishops could receive an investment this year then? As most Renowns are in a reserve role (or in the corporate livery for a service that doesnt have a brand), there is no point in directly investing into these services. 20 Solars being displaced will replace 20 Renowns for withdrawl. Thats just the start too.
(19 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm)Malarkey wrote I said that a few months back, but Dan said GNE had moved away from having split allocations after what occured with the X1.

I hope they do, think the livery might work on streetlites, i also think GNE will want to get rid of all of the B10's instead of converting then to become DDA then withdrawing them a year later.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm)Michael wrote I hope they do, think the livery might work on streetlites, i also think GNE will want to get rid of all of the B10's instead of converting then to become DDA then withdrawing them a year later.

No,No,No,No,No No more Streetshites......Please im begging you!
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
I decided to have a prediction:

22x Wright Streetlite for Prince Bishops (20 branded + 2 corporate liveried spares) - would displace the current solars to replace 20 renowns across the fleet.

6x Wright Streetlite for Fab Fifty Seven (5 branded + 1 corporate liveried spare) - replace a further 6 renowns (when not required, the corporate liveried spare could be allocated to the X66 on Saturdays providing the same capacity on all journeys)

9x Wright Streetdeck for Pronto (7 branded + 2 corporate liveried spares) - replace the current B7s (and 6038) to other depots replacing some of the non-DDA vehicles

10x Optare Solo SR for North Tyne Links (9 branded + 1 corporate liveried spare) - replace the MPDs and the additional Solo could help out on Nexus work
(19 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm)S813 FVK wrote I decided to have a prediction:

22x Wright Streetlite for Prince Bishops (20 branded + 2 corporate liveried spares) - would displace the current solars to replace 20 renowns across the fleet.

6x Wright Streetlite for Fab Fifty Seven (5 branded + 1 corporate liveried spare) - replace a further 6 renowns (when not required, the corporate liveried spare could be allocated to the X66 on Saturdays providing the same capacity on all journeys)

9x Wright Streetdeck for Pronto (7 branded + 2 corporate liveried spares) - replace the current B7s (and 6038) to other depots replacing some of the non-DDA vehicles

10x Optare Solo SR for North Tyne Links (9 branded + 1 corporate liveried spare) - replace the MPDs and the additional Solo could help out on Nexus work

Wright Streetlites are totally inadequate capacity and capability wise for the 20, The Prince Bishops needs Deckers.

I don't think the Fab Fifty Seven will get new buses any time soon, Maybe just cascades

Wright Streetdecks again are totally inadequate capability wise from what I and other people of this forum have commented about.
You need a bigger engine double decker for the X21 ( Enviro400MMC , ScaniaE400MMC etc. )
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
[quote='S813 FVK' pid='117130' dateline='1437337187']
I decided to have a prediction:

I bloody hope that doesn't happen and they decide to go for the E400!
(19 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Wright Streetlites are totally inadequate capacity and capability wise for the 20, The Prince Bishops needs Deckers.

I don't think the Fab Fifty Seven will get new buses any time soon, Maybe just cascades

Wright Streetdecks again are totally inadequate capability wise from what I and other people of this forum have commented about.
You need a bigger engine double decker for the X21 ( Enviro400MMC , ScaniaE400MMC etc. )

I am fully aware of the fact that the buses i have listed are incapable for the routes. However, this is GNE. I wouldn't say streetlites were the best option for the 78 etc but they went with them. Just using company trends for my prediction as opposed to the engine size. I do understand what i have done is not the best way to go about the predicting.
(19 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Wright Streetlites are totally inadequate capacity and capability wise for the 20, The Prince Bishops needs Deckers.

StreetLite's have a capacity of 45 seats (44 on Arriva's examples) which is 1 or 2 more than the Solars currently used on this service although the standing capacity is lower, the thing is I can't see the 20/20A justifying the cost of double deckers especially for the high PVR the service requires which would cost a fortune to buy, in my experience of the 20/20A it usually at most only has full seating capacity and maybe the odd standee but can be busier at peak times but this is probably the only time the service could really do with the extra capacity double deckers can provide. Apart from maybe getting up Houghton Cut I'd say the StreetLite's would handle the 20/20A routes fine as although they can only do around 50mph you do have to remember that the speed limits on the route the fastest you can go is 50mph apart from one tiny bit of the A690, I'd say the 8/78 and 45/46 routes which use StreetLite's are probably a bit more demanding than the 20/20A.
GNE should just swallow it and move to ADL:

- E200MMC = Midibus work or most Single Deck work
- Scania E300 = Heavy duty single deck work (WTX, Tynedale Express)
- E400MMC = Typical double deck (TEN, Fab 56, Cobalt Clipper, Pronto, Red Arrows)
- Volvo B5LH E400MMC = Hybrid double deck work (Angel)
- Scania E400MMC = Heavy duty double deck work (TTX)

Typical routes are just examples and NOT order predictions!
Maybe the X21 could get the E400MMC, with the same specifications (seats/tables) etc as the demonstrator, but delivered in metallic red, to show the X21 as a premium route. The route would be a pioneer for the next orders to see if the passengers like what they're riding etc etc...?
(31 Jul 2015, 4:30 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Maybe the X21 could get the E400MMC, with the same specifications (seats/tables) etc as the demonstrator, but delivered in metallic red, to show the X21 as a premium route. The route would be a pioneer for the next orders to see if the passengers like what they're riding etc etc...?

Appreciate Windsor and London aren't the same as Bishop and Newcastle, but Green Line have tables on their Mk1 Gemini's.
It doesn't seem to affect loadings either.

The increased space in the downstairs saloon of a new vehicle (compared to the Presidents) would possibly compensate on the loss of a handful of seats upstairs.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(31 Jul 2015, 4:30 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Maybe the X21 could get the E400MMC, with the same specifications (seats/tables) etc as the demonstrator, but delivered in metallic red, to show the X21 as a premium route. The route would be a pioneer for the next orders to see if the passengers like what they're riding etc etc...?

Although a good idea, I think the following issues may arise:

- Added cost
- Loss of seats

I do think however that it would be a very good idea for when the TTX is due an upgrade within the next 4-5 years though. Deffo plug sockets, high back seating and next stop announcements though for the Pronto. Infact, the NSA's could be easy to record if they could get Steve and Karen to do the ones needed between Bishop Auckland and Durham then basically, pick out the relevant ones applicable that are also used on the 21 between Durham and Newcastle.

I know that I have mentioned the possibility of cascades many of times but I do also think that there's a chance that the Pronto will receive a simple outright upgrade.
Here's a thought and no, I'm not predicting as such.

Due to the rise of 'lightweight' buses, if GNE found the need for a powerful double deck vehicle on routes in the future but didn't want to pay the price for a brand new Euro 6 'heavyweight', do you think GNE would upgrade a not such demanding double deck route?

Dan mentioned before on the ANE changes page about powerful buses being modified due to the lack of need for power. Now, if still true, GNE are going to trial the Streetdeck on the Cobalt Clipper to compare it with 6104. Do you think that if the Streetdeck was to be more fuel efficient than a GKN B9, do you think GNE would withdraw from the mods (16), buy new Streetdecks when needed and potentially move the B9s onto more demanding work when required (Pronto, West Durham Express services etc)?
Well put it this way, I've got a very sneaky feeling about it because:

- The demonstrator is Silver and the bodywork isn't the same styling as the B&H streetdecks.
- The seating is in GNE moquette.

Could GNE potentially be keeping this bus?

If they do, then I think the following will happen:

- 16x Cobalt Clipper full spec Streetdecks (original Streetdeck bodywork) + 2 in the same spec as the demonstrator with the latter 2 and 9119 (probably re-numbered) just making do with Moovbox. These vehicles could then be used for scholars work and the extra afternoon runs. Therefore, a high profile launch wouldn't be needed due to some commonalities with the Gemini 2 bodywork and styling. This would also calm passengers down who could potentially go shouting 'why have they got new buses after only a year and a bit!'.

- 6101 has vinyls removed and transferred to Riverside with TEN vinyls applied and forming the full PVR of 14 vehicles required on the TEN group of services.

- 6102 to 6117 (6117 spare) go to Washington so power sockets can 'quietly' be introduced onto service X1 with 6102 to 6115 repainted red and all bar 6117 rebranded for Red Arrows. Only noticeable difference would be the lack of CCTV monitors and for the drivers, (half?) of the buses with 50 less BHP.

- 6049 to 6055 alongside 3943 (or 6007) as spare to Crook for Pronto service X21.

- 6001 to 6007 (6007 spare or 3943) could if Tom's predictions were to be right for potential changes to the X30 / X31, move to Stanley for them services OR all 7 be used with spares being made up of Omnideckas, on potential new services 44 / 44A.
Now you have suggested B9s for services X30/X31/X70/X71, im all for it. Makes up for the plans to upgrade originaly falling down.
(04 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well put it this way, I've got a very sneaky feeling about it because:

- The demonstrator is Silver and the bodywork isn't the same styling as the B&H streetdecks.

Well, it's already been trialled by a few sister companies, so I would guess that it is eventually staying somewhere in the Go Ahead group. Doesn't have to be the NE, of course.
(04 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Well, it's already been trialled by a few sister companies, so I would guess that it is eventually staying somewhere in the Go Ahead group. Doesn't have to be the NE, of course.

Could of said the same about Optare Versa Demonstrator (9133) YJ62 FFB, which was bought in GNE Specification, and where abouts is that now, certainly not with any other Go-Ahead Company, last I seen of it was with Transdev in Blackburn (I Think).
(04 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm)Malarkey wrote Could of said the same about Optare Versa Demonstrator (9133) YJ62 FFB, which was bought in GNE Specification, and where abouts is that now, certainly not with any other Go-Ahead Company, last I seen of it was with Transdev in Blackburn (I Think).

Yep, I've noticed a few Transdev swaps. The two companies seem to have a "cooperative" relationship in certain areas.
(04 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Well, it's already been trialled by a few sister companies, so I would guess that it is eventually staying somewhere in the Go Ahead group. Doesn't have to be the NE, of course.

This bus is a pre production vehicle, built for evaluation by the Go Ahead Group - the silver livery and Go North East interior are no doubt an attempt to get them to buy it but it is not necessarily the case that they will.
(04 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well put it this way, I've got a very sneaky feeling about it because:

- 16x Cobalt Clipper full spec Streetdecks (original Streetdeck bodywork) + 2 in the same spec as the demonstrator with the latter 2 and 9119 (probably re-numbered) just making do with Moovbox. These vehicles could then be used for scholars work and the extra afternoon runs. Therefore, a high profile launch wouldn't be needed due to some commonalities with the Gemini 2 bodywork and styling. This would also calm passengers down who could potentially go shouting 'why have they got new buses after only a year and a bit!'.

- 6101 has vinyls removed and transferred to Riverside with TEN  vinyls applied and forming the full PVR of 14 vehicles required on the TEN group of services.

- 6102 to 6117 (6117 spare)  go to Washington so power sockets can 'quietly' be introduced onto service X1 with 6102 to 6115 repainted red and all bar 6117 rebranded for Red Arrows. Only noticeable difference would be the lack of CCTV monitors and for the drivers, (half?) of the buses with 50 less BHP.

- 6049 to 6055 alongside 3943 (or 6007) as spare to Crook for Pronto service X21.

- 6001 to 6007 (6007 spare or 3943) could if Tom's predictions were to be right for potential changes to the X30 / X31, move to Stanley for them services OR all 7 be used with spares being made up of Omnideckas, on potential new services 44 / 44A.
I can't see the Go Ahead Group investing any further money in new buses in the North East until the results of Nexus attempt to confiscate their business are known, towards the end of the year.

No one with any sense would invest money in a business that might not have a future, as their investment would be lost when their right to trade was removed.

Don't forget that Nexus are proposing to confiscate the current bus business in Tyne and Wear without any compensation for the business that they will destroy. 
Even the labour government of 1948 & 1967 paid the owners of the bus businesses that they nationalised (Tilling Group and BET).
All to keep the same bus network, with a drab overall red based livery on every bus, with almost 1 in 4 passengers paying a higher fare than they would otherwise do, and "freeze" the fleet as it will be at the  end of 2019 until 2027. The 2020's will be boring if Nexus get their way.......

- 6101 has vinyls removed and transferred to Riverside with TEN  vinyls applied and forming the full PVR of 14 vehicles required on the TEN group of services.

- 6102 to 6117 (6117 spare)  go to Washington so power sockets can 'quietly' be introduced onto service X1 with 6102 to 6115 repainted red and all bar 6117 rebranded for Red Arrows. Only noticeable difference would be the lack of CCTV monitors and for the drivers, (half?) of the buses with 50 less BHP.

I can't see the Go Ahead Group investing any further money in new buses in the North East until the results of Nexus attempt to confiscate their business are known, towards the end of the year.

No one with any sense would invest money in a business that might not have a future, as their investment would be lost when their right to trade was removed.

Don't forget that Nexus are proposing to confiscate the current bus business in Tyne and Wear without any compensation for the business that they will destroy. 
Even the labour government of 1948 & 1967 paid the owners of the bus businesses that they nationalised (Tilling Group and BET).
All to keep the same bus network, with a drab overall red based livery on every bus, with almost 1 in 4 passengers paying a higher fare than they would otherwise do, and "freeze" the fleet as it will be at the  end of 2019 until 2027. The 2020's will be boring if Nexus get their way.......
Originally posted on a Facebook group:...

Hot off press info (by anonymous)
They can be trusted 

GNE not buying any enviro 400mc 
As cost to much 

Streetdeck going to Oxford after today
And only buy Streetdecks if deal on them

I'd like to know where he got his info... from up his own arse?
(09 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I'd like to know where he got his info... from up his own arse?

This same person said there was a 'secret' Arriva Wales 82 coming through which wasn't on Real Time.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.