Menu

Pages (121)    132 33 34121   
mb134   04 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 5:10 pm)Dan wrote That's not the issue, Tommy.

I could count on one hand the amount of times Go North East's "Angel" branded Volvo B5LHs have been used on other commercial services besides service 21 (excluding scholars and those that they are scheduled to be allocated to - evening X21s and Night Bus N20/N21), whereas it's a daily occurrence at Blyth. Admittedly, it has drastically reduced in recent months and you no longer see a Hybrid on the X4/X5 at the same time a Quroum Express branded VDL Gemini is on the 308 at Blyth, so we're heading in the right direction.

I am in favour of effective regulation and spare vehicles being used to time-correct services, but the vehicle that is replaced shouldn't immediately become the 'spare bus' used for time-correcting. That's when branding goes helter-skelter, and makes a mockery of the whole concept. I appreciate it's better to send an incorrectly branded vehicle than none at all, but I would anticipate that Blyth would have more than one spare vehicle at any given time?

These vehicles were ordered with assistance from Government funding for use on service 308. Only in extreme circumstances should a Government-funded vehicle be allocated to another service.

I'm sure they would have buses spare, but what about the following situation:

Hybrid running 15 minutes late on a 308, Blyth send out a Gemini, 

The Hybrid arrives in Blyth and an inbound X11 is running late, now this is going to be a journey that will arrive in Newcastle around 5, peak time. Now the only other buses spare are a Pulsar, and a few MPD's, what do they do? 

You'd send out the Hybrid, now obviously that is a very select set of circumstances, and there obviously are occasions when that doesn't happen.

One question, the funding Arriva got for the Hybrids, why is it specifically for the 308? Sorry if the reasoning is obvious, but surely they would be encouraged to use them as often as possible (Sunday for example), in favour of a generic bus that will be worse for the environment?
Dan   04 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 7:13 pm)mb134 wrote I'm sure they would have buses spare, but what about the following situation:

Hybrid running 15 minutes late on a 308, Blyth send out a Gemini, 

The Hybrid arrives in Blyth and an inbound X11 is running late, now this is going to be a journey that will arrive in Newcastle around 5, peak time. Now the only other buses spare are a Pulsar, and a few MPD's, what do they do? 

You'd send out the Hybrid, now obviously that is a very select set of circumstances, and there obviously are occasions when that doesn't happen.

One question, the funding Arriva got for the Hybrids, why is it specifically for the 308? Sorry if the reasoning is obvious, but surely they would be encouraged to use them as often as possible (Sunday for example), in favour of a generic bus that will be worse for the environment?

That would fall under "extreme circumstances", but you see these buses off route regardless of day or time...

The bidding guidance for the Green Bus Fund states:
"Bidders must say how and where they intend to use the buses in order to achieve the greatest environmental benefits, including air quality objectives. This might include, for example, whether the buses will run on rural, urban or combined routes, how many kilometres the buses will run on average each month etc. Bidders should give details of how these buses will fit into wider environmental plans and strategies, such as air quality action plans. They should also include any longer term plans (i.e. after the first three years of operation) for the use of the low carbon emission buses purchased under this fund, and whether they have plans to buy more low carbon emission buses in the future."

So; when Arriva Northumbria was awarded with a grant of £517,350, it was based on the ten vehicles being allocated to service 308, between Blyth and Newcastle. Service 308 is a completely different style of route to services X10/X11, for example, and one could argue that perhaps the funding would not have been awarded on this basis if it were for the X10/X11 services opposed to the 308...
L469 YVK   04 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm)Dan wrote That would fall under "extreme circumstances", but you see these buses off route regardless of day or time...

The bidding guidance for the Green Bus Fund states:
"Bidders must say how and where they intend to use the buses in order to achieve the greatest environmental benefits, including air quality objectives. This might include, for example, whether the buses will run on rural, urban or combined routes, how many kilometres the buses will run on average each month etc. Bidders should give details of how these buses will fit into wider environmental plans and strategies, such as air quality action plans. They should also include any longer term plans (i.e. after the first three years of operation) for the use of the low carbon emission buses purchased under this fund, and whether they have plans to buy more low carbon emission buses in the future."

So; when Arriva Northumbria was awarded with a grant of £517,350, it was based on the ten vehicles being allocated to service 308, between Blyth and Newcastle. Service 308 is a completely different style of route to services X10/X11, for example, and one could argue that perhaps the funding would not have been awarded on this basis if it were for the X10/X11 services opposed to the 308...

Quick question Dan, what will the efficiency of 6085 - 6116 be when the GKN mods have been done compared to a B5LH?
Dan   04 Aug 2015, 8:16 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Quick question Dan, what will the efficiency of 6085 - 6116 be when the GKN mods have been done compared to a B5LH?

Volvo B9TL achieves around 7mpg, and a Volvo B5LH achieves around 9mpg.

The GKN modifications are expected to reduce fuel consumption on a Volvo B9TL by 20%.

Even 1mpg difference makes a huge difference to bus operators. When you start multiplying it by the amount of miles on average a bus does each day, then you multiply that by circa 300 for the amount of Monday - Saturday 'normal frequency' journeys, then you multiply the amount of vehicles receiving the modifications...

The modifications soon pay for themselves and deliver huge benefits to the operator, that's for sure. Que the tongue in cheek comments about the fares going down as a result of these savings..!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   04 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm
So for .6 less MPG and a much lower cost with more power, that's a pretty dam good deal.
Dan   04 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote So for .6 less MPG and a much lower cost with more power, that's a pretty dam good deal.

There are also other modifications available too.

I believe Go North East has something in place on their Blaydon Racers Mercedes Citaros now - think it's the same thing Arriva have on their Temsa Avenues? Don't profess to know a great deal about that sort of stuff!

Is it any wonder they're both going for the likes of Streetlites, when the buses that do have an abundance of power are being modified because they don't need it!
L469 YVK   04 Aug 2015, 8:57 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm)Dan wrote There are also other modifications available too.

I believe Go North East has something in place on their Blaydon Racers Mercedes Citaros now - think it's the same thing Arriva have on their Temsa Avenues? Don't profess to know a great deal about that sort of stuff!

Is it any wonder they're both going for the likes of Streetlites, when the buses that do have an abundance of power are being modified because they don't need it!

Don't want to go too much off topic here but despite the Fab 56 needing the power due to the climbs out of Newcastle and Gateshead towards Wrekenton and the demanding schedule, I think that E400s (classic version at the time of order in 2013), would've sufficed perfectly for the Cobalt Clipper.
Cock Robin   05 Aug 2015, 1:43 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 8:16 pm)Dan wrote Volvo B9TL achieves around 7mpg, and a Volvo B5LH achieves around 9mpg.

The GKN modifications are expected to reduce fuel consumption on a Volvo B9TL by 20%.

Even 1mpg difference makes a huge difference to bus operators. When you start multiplying it by the amount of miles on average a bus does each day, then you multiply that by circa 300 for the amount of Monday - Saturday 'normal frequency' journeys, then you multiply the amount of vehicles receiving the modifications...

The modifications soon pay for themselves and deliver huge benefits to the operator, that's for sure. Que the tongue in cheek comments about the fares going down as a result of these savings..!

Should bring back Bristol LHs. They did double that.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
G-CPTN   05 Aug 2015, 2:06 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 8:16 pm)Dan wrote Volvo B9TL achieves around 7mpg, and a Volvo B5LH achieves around 9mpg.
Are we comparing like-for-like (on the same route in identical traffic) and, preferably, running in tandem?

Is the gearing optimised for the route?
omnicity4659   05 Aug 2015, 2:50 pm
The A.M. 44 scholars route has been transferred to Ashington depot. Service 33 has been transferred to Jesmond. More service 35a runs will extend to Woodhorn, while the 57/57A will interwork at Whitley Bay operated by Ashington. The 43 will be extended to Morpeth from Cramlington via Red Lion, Netherton Lane, Nedderton, Hepscott Park & Road End, Stobhill (A192) once per hour.
mb134   05 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 2:50 pm)GX03 SVC wrote The A.M. 44 scholars route has been transferred to Ashington depot. Service 33 has been transferred to Jesmond. More service 35a runs will extend to Woodhorn, while the 57/57A will interwork at Whitley Bay operated by Ashington. The 43 will be extended to Morpeth from Cramlington via Red Lion, Netherton Lane, Nedderton, Hepscott Park & Road End, Stobhill (A192) once per hour.

I imagine the vehicle previously allocated to the 821 will do the 44, elsewhere, is Ashington's PVR increasing by more than just the one for the X20?
omnicity4659   05 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm)mb134 wrote I imagine the vehicle previously allocated to the 821 will do the 44, elsewhere, is Ashington's PVR increasing by more than just the one for the X20?

And then interwork onto the X21/22?
I believe that we've lost 3 and gained 1.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   05 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm)GX03 SVC wrote And then interwork onto the X21/22?
I believe that we've lost 3 and gained 1.

It never worked onto the X21/22, I was under the impression it went to do the 34?
omnicity4659   05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm)mb134 wrote It never worked onto the X21/22, I was under the impression it went to do the 34?

I meant 7518(or a branded example) operating the 44 scholars then doing the X21/22.
mb134   05 Aug 2015, 3:26 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I meant 7518(or a branded example) operating the 44 scholars then doing the X21/22.

I'd imagine that all X21/22's would be out well before that bus arrives back from it's 44 duty.
Tom   05 Aug 2015, 3:27 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I meant 7518(or a branded example) operating the 44 scholars then doing the X21/22.

Why will Ashington operate it?

It could just go onto the 44 from Stannington Village at 0900 which would make a lot more sense.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   05 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:27 pm)Tom wrote Why will Ashington operate it?

It could just go onto the 44 from Stannington Village at 0900 which would make a lot more sense.

I assume Tommy must have been told that Ashington will operate it, I seem to recall they used to operate the entire 44 actually.
Tom   05 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm)mb134 wrote I assume Tommy must have been told that Ashington will operate it, I seem to recall they used to operate the entire 44 actually.

Yeah they did with Olympians I think.
mb134   05 Aug 2015, 3:34 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm)Tom wrote Yeah they did with Olympians I think.

Aye, can't remember when they stopped operating it actually, does the 44 interwork with the 43 and 45 now?
Tom   05 Aug 2015, 3:45 pm
(05 Aug 2015, 3:34 pm)mb134 wrote Aye, can't remember when they stopped operating it actually, does the 44 interwork with the 43 and 45 now?

Yeah it interworks with the 43.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   06 Aug 2015, 11:30 am
(04 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Northumberland Timetables now online
Just noticed that Arriva used my photo of 7515 for this page and on their Facebook to publicise these changes [emoji2]

https://flic.kr/p/rQhhCp
omnicity4659   06 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 11:30 am)Jimmi wrote Just noticed that Arriva used my photo of 7515 for this page and on their Facebook to publicise these changes [emoji2]

https://flic.kr/p/rQhhCp

Did they have permission?  Tongue They could have at least had a photo of an X18 branded example...
Jimmi   06 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Did they have permission?  [emoji14] They could have at least had a photo of an X18 branded example...
They didn't ask but I am more than happy for my photos to be used for things like this. Was quite surprised to see it on their Facebook this morning.

If anyone from Arriva is viewing do feel free to use my photos on your Facebook, website etc.
tyresmoke   06 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm)Jimmi wrote They didn't ask but I am more than happy for my photos to be used for things like this. Was quite surprised to see it on their Facebook this morning.

If anyone from Arriva is viewing do feel free to use my photos on your Facebook, website etc.

I believe they just picked a random photo but I'll let them know  Wink

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   06 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm)tyresmoke wrote I believe they just picked a random photo but I'll let them know  Wink

You are itching to get into Doxford Park mind...haha  Tongue
tyresmoke   06 Aug 2015, 8:13 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote You are itching to get into Doxford Park mind...haha  Tongue

Haha well it was only because I didn't have one uploaded of a MAX Enviro as mine get used normally lol

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Jimmi   06 Aug 2015, 8:46 pm
(06 Aug 2015, 8:13 pm)tyresmoke wrote Haha well it was only because I didn't have one uploaded of a MAX Enviro as mine get used normally lol

Good thing I got this photo, about the only other MAX Enviro photo I have was one on the 35 in Morpeth.

I try to make my photos easy to find in search results on Flickr.
Jimmi   08 Aug 2015, 10:21 am
New 21/21A/X21 leaflet is now available in Middlesbrough Bus Station.

The X22 will connect with the 21 in Peterlee Bus Station. The X22 route from Sunderland will run via Ryhope Green, Dawdon, then head via Seaham Interchange (that's what the timetable says!) then along the A182 then along the A19 coming off at the same slip road as the X10 and head along Burnhope Way (past East Durham College) then into Peterlee Bus Station then onto the 21.

The X22 will only run on school days, out of term time it will operate as the X21.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   09 Aug 2015, 11:35 am
Just a thought, instead of having the X18 operate via the coast (Alnmouth Station, Alnmouth, Warkworth etc.), why doesn't this happen, possibly next summer:

20/X20 - Operates as route from 6th September.
X15 - Omits Felton and Shilbottle to provide faster links from Newcastle to Alnwick and Berwick.
X16 - As route from 6th September.
X17 - Operates from Newcastle to Alnwick, via current X18 route.
X18 - Operate between Morpeth and Alnwick via Felton and Shilbottle to replace X15, then as current route onwards to Berwick.
omnicity4659   09 Aug 2015, 11:56 am
(09 Aug 2015, 11:35 am)Tom wrote Just a thought, instead of having the X18 operate via the coast (Alnmouth Station, Alnmouth, Warkworth etc.), why doesn't this happen, possibly next summer:

20/X20 - Operates as route from 6th September.
X15 - Omits Felton and Shilbottle to provide faster links from Newcastle to Alnwick and Berwick.
X16 - As route from 6th September.
X17 - Operates from Newcastle to Alnwick, via current X18 route.
X18 - Operate between Morpeth and Alnwick via Felton and Shilbottle to replace X15, then as current route onwards to Berwick.

Can't the X17 be the X18 - then the X17 change numbers at Alnwick to become X18. It'll work as long as it's explained to passengers if you need to go to **** get off at Alnwick. Also the X18 (518) has always been "the scenic one" so I don't think passengers would want to get on at Newcastle just to find out it goes through Shilbottle.  Big Grin
Pages (121)    132 33 34121