You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
Do you not think it's time for Arriva to introduce radios and AVL tracking via a live control room like GNE? Would improve reliability massively and allow services to be regulated accordingly:

Example:
- X18 nearly 15 minutes late and about to reach Morpeth.
- Driver contacts control.
- Control instructs the X14 / X16 in front to pick up the passengers of the X18.
- X18 runs light from Morpeth to Newcastle and picks up the return journey on time.
(12 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Do you not think it's time for Arriva to introduce radios and AVL tracking via a live control room like GNE? Would improve reliability massively and allow services to be regulated accordingly:

Example:
- X18 nearly 15 minutes late and about to reach Morpeth.
- Control instructs the X14 / X16 in front to pick up the passengers of the X18.
- X18 runs light from Morpeth to Newcastle and picks up the return journey on time.

Fitting an X15 worth of passengers onto an X16 might be interesting!

I understand they're working on a messaging system using the existing Wayfarer machines, but as its across the UK it'll be a nationwide project. AVL is used widely by management and punctuality is improving massively, with some depots regularly achieving 90%+

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(12 Aug 2015, 5:27 pm)tyresmoke wrote Fitting an X15 worth of passengers onto an X16 might be interesting!

I understand they're working on a messaging system using the existing Wayfarer machines, but as its across the UK it'll be a nationwide project. AVL is used widely by management and punctuality is improving massively, with some depots regularly achieving 90%+

Another example:
- X10 or X11 is running very late into Newcastle.
- Control instructs passengers to be put onto another service to Newcastle from Regent Centre and bus gets regulated.
- Supervisor boards passengers onto another service from Newcastle to Regent Centre.
- Bus leaves Regent Centre a few minutes late and more likely to get back on time.
(13 Aug 2015, 6:57 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Another example:
- X10 or X11 is running very late into Newcastle.
- Control instructs passengers to be put onto another service to Newcastle from Regent Centre and bus gets regulated.
- Supervisor boards passengers onto another service from Newcastle to Regent Centre.
- Bus leaves Regent Centre a few minutes late and more likely to get back on time.
I can see where you're coming from, but there's a lot of "what if" scenarios. I mean, you could say, what if the reason the X10 or X11 is late is because of a crash on Gosforth High Street. It would be no use putting them on one of the Morpeth services to Regent Centre, because they'd likely be packed full, or late too.
could someone tell me, has 7466 W396 VGJ and 7478 X434 FGP moved to ashington permanently or are they on loan?
(13 Aug 2015, 9:30 am)buss14 wrote could someone tell me, has 7466 W396 VGJ and 7478 X434 FGP  moved to ashington permanently or are they on loan?

7478 is - 7466 is on the allocation sheet as a Blyth vehicle
(13 Aug 2015, 9:38 am)Kuyoyo wrote 7478 is - 7466 is on the allocation sheet as a Blyth vehicle

thank you, i knew 7478 was mean to move somewhere near ashington but i was suprised to 7466 at ashington.
Services 1 and X21 in Ashington are being diverted down North Seaton Road due to a serious RTC involving a car and a motorcycle. Buses will be unable to serve Bolsover Terrace, Fifth Avenue, Seventh Avenue and The Elephant bus stops. Buses will stop at North Seaton level crossing.

Go North East 19 and Phoenix 30 are also being diverted via North Seaton Road.
(09 Aug 2015, 10:09 am)tyresmoke wrote I'm not sure there are many options left. Got to be careful not to overload the region with them. They're already close to doing this in Durham in my opinion... I would like to see some expansion into new areas next, maybe with bolt ons to existing routes.

What sort of areas would you like to see them expand into?

I wonder if places in the south of the region such as Thirsk, York, or down the coast towards Filey and Bridlington would be possibilities for at least some Saturday or summer services perhaps.
(14 Aug 2015, 10:29 am)tvd wrote What sort of areas would you like to see them expand into?

I wonder if places in the south of the region such as Thirsk, York, or down the coast towards Filey and Bridlington would be possibilities for at least some Saturday or summer services perhaps.

I suspect the X23 goes no further than Scarborough because that's the limit of an explorer ticket, which is what a lot of people would need to get down there. Arriva going that far down would put them in competition with EYMS, which already runs regular services along that route.

Darlo - Northallerton would be handy, though, so I could get my Betty's fix Big Grin
(14 Aug 2015, 11:04 am)BusLoverMum wrote I suspect the X23 goes no further than Scarborough because that's the limit of an explorer ticket, which is what a lot of people would need to get down there. Arriva going that far down would put them in competition with EYMS, which already runs regular services along that route.

Darlo - Northallerton would be handy, though, so I could get my Betty's fix Big Grin

I find it bizarre they don't go to Northallerton. Always a popular service from what I hear.
(14 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm)MrPottski wrote I find it bizarre they don't go to Northallerton. Always a popular service from what I hear.
There could be potential for an hourly service to Northallerton but then again there might not. Unsure what the numbers are really like on the Dales & District 72 but I've seen some journeys leave Darlington with a canny few passengers.
(14 Aug 2015, 3:50 pm)Jimmi wrote There could be potential for an hourly service to Northallerton but then again there might not. Unsure what the numbers are really like on the Dales & District 72 but I've seen some journeys leave Darlington with a canny few passengers.

I've struggled to find an up to date timetable for that service. I've found 3 different ones, all 2 years old or more.
New Arriva allocation details:

4501 Disposal-Redcar (shown on official movements) - reason confirmed on movements as due to the upcoming PVR increase due to the Dinsdale diversion
4663 Jesmond-Under Repair
7602/4 both to MAX refurbishment at Thorntons
7605/7 reinstated to Blyth after engine work
1420 is the latest Pulsar to arrive at Stockton from Durham's drip feed... 1562 was also in our yard today, we had 4707 visiting yesterday too
4663 I am told is a write off so it should go from under repair to disposal at some point lol! Too much work to put that right at 8 years old.

Why are Cummins engined DB300s needing replacements and work doing on them yet, the E400s with the exact or similar (57 plate Euro 4's) haven't needed much attention? I know Blyth's engineering is as 'good as ususal' but, I wonder if the voith gear box or the Turbo configuration is causing these issues? I know that I can hear the Turbo more on an E400 than a DB300.
(14 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote 1420 is the latest Pulsar to arrive at Stockton from Durham's drip feed... 1562 was also in our yard today, we had 4707 visiting yesterday too
4663 I am told is a write off so it should go from under repair to disposal at some point lol! Too much work to put that right at 8 years old.

Surprised at 4663 mind, given the amount they've spent on MAX-ing the 05 plate ones.
(15 Aug 2015, 6:44 am)MrPottski wrote Surprised at 4663 mind, given the amount they've spent on MAX-ing the 05 plate ones.
So am I would be getting a Mid-life refurbishment this year wouldn't it?
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Why don't Stockton use decker s cause not like they can't look after them I've seen few at the depot getting fixed so why can't they get some decker for X12 or 21a
JMoss
Site Administrator
(15 Aug 2015, 10:03 am)jaimzm wrote Why don't Stockton use decker s cause not like they can't look after them I've seen few at the depot getting fixed so why can't they get some decker for X12 or 21a

Well the 21a certainly doesn't need double deckers...
(15 Aug 2015, 10:03 am)jaimzm wrote Why don't Stockton use decker s cause not like they can't look after them I've seen few at the depot getting fixed so why can't they get some decker for X12 or 21a

(15 Aug 2015, 10:10 am)Dan wrote Well the 21a certainly doesn't need double deckers...

It's been stated many times - Stockton can't have an allocation of Double Deckers as they cannot be maintained on the lifts inside the main shed due to the roof beams.

As for deckers in the yard, yes Stockton is one of the depot that undertakes MOTs on vehicles hence these sighting.

As for the 21a, the East Durham College contract should see it used more (I'll be surprised if there isn't another change on there before the year is over to add an extra journey or two) plus, as hinted elsewhere on the forum, it will be upgraded to Pulsar operation with 4652/4/8 going for MAX refurbishment for Darlington.
hi
thought i would tell you that i have spotted MX12 KXF in ashington on the 35.
(13 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Newly transferred 1530 has just broke down at the peth in Durham oil and coolant everywhere

Coolant pipe split on it - wasn't any oil from that bus though
(15 Aug 2015, 6:57 am)danpick wrote So am I would be getting a Mid-life refurbishment this year wouldn't it?

Yes - its never had a repaint, and its only a year older than when they used to get their big 7 year overhaul so surprised they can't repair it.
(15 Aug 2015, 10:13 am)Kuyoyo wrote As for the 21a, the East Durham College contract should see it used more (I'll be surprised if there isn't another change on there before the year is over to add an extra journey or two) plus, as hinted elsewhere on the forum, it will be upgraded to Pulsar operation with 4652/4/8 going for MAX refurbishment for Darlington.

That's an upgrade?!
(15 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm)Cock Robin wrote That's an upgrade?!

Yes. An upgrade is when new or newer vehicles move onto a service. Plus no more problems with door issues
(15 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm)Cock Robin wrote That's an upgrade?!

Upgrade in reliability - those Scania's never have agreed with life at Stockton! Shame because the ones we had from new were spot on apart from the odd hissy fit now and again. 1924 replaced 4658 on the 21A earlier as an example. At least we had 3 out from start of play, for a while at least...

7475/7479/7484 & 7611 were Vehicles I caught on Metro Replacement between South Gosforth & Airport today.