You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(22 Aug 2015, 12:29 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Very scrappy that. Why not a full double deck allocation on the X7 / X8?

And where do you get the deckers from to cover the entire PVR?
(22 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And where do you get the deckers from to cover the entire PVR?

I'm not sure on how busy the X4 and X5 are currently, but if they need deckers, it should be down to Arriva buying more, why should passengers suffer because Arriva have a boat load of Pulsars but hardly any modern double deckers.
(22 Aug 2015, 12:43 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And where do you get the deckers from to cover the entire PVR?

X12 to do Middlesbrough to Durham only as it does not carry that much between Durham and Newcastle from what I have seen, then the spare buses could go to Blyth  Big Grin
i am not taking sides but you never know a single decker bus may work out well and may save arriva a lot of money aswell
Site Administrator
(22 Aug 2015, 12:47 pm)mb134 wrote I'm not sure on how busy the X4 and X5 are currently, but if they need deckers, it should be down to Arriva buying more, why should passengers suffer because Arriva have a boat load of Pulsars but hardly any modern double deckers.

Or acquiring more from within the group..? VDL Gemini or ADL Enviro400 - I'm sure they'd be able to find some modern double decks surplus to requirements elsewhere within the group...
(22 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm)Dan wrote Or acquiring more from within the group..? VDL Gemini or ADL Enviro400 - I'm sure they'd be able to find some modern double decks surplus to requirements elsewhere within the group...

or i know that they will not be brand new but couldnt they be some dealer stock buses that could be available?
(22 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm)buss14 wrote i am not taking sides but you never know a single decker bus may work out well and may save arriva a lot of money aswell

Sure passengers will love that when they're standing at the bus stop and can't get on a jam packed single decker in the middle of winter!
(22 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm)mb134 wrote Sure passengers will love that when they're standing at the bus stop and can't get on a jam packed single decker in the middle of winter!

yes i see your issue and how long is the route.
(22 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm)buss14 wrote yes i see your issue and how long is the route.

X4 (to be X7) isn't long but quite popular. The X5 (to be X8) is quite long and also popular.

(22 Aug 2015, 12:49 pm)citaro5284 wrote X12 to do Middlesbrough to Durham only as it does not carry that much between Durham and Newcastle from what I have seen, then the spare buses could go to Blyth  Big Grin

Good luck getting the 'Streetwrecks' to cope with a full load then  Big Grin
(22 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote X4 (to be X7) isn't long but quite popular. The X5 (to be X8) is quite long and also popular.

Good luck getting the 'Streetwrecks' to cope with a full load then  Big Grin

yes i see the problem last i was on a single deck on the 4 and it was crammed. and i havent been on a streetdeck yet so i am not going to judge that yet but you never know they may be a good eperience for arriva
(22 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm)buss14 wrote yes i see the problem last i was on a single deck on the 4 and it was crammed. and i havent been on a streetdeck yet so i am not going to judge that yet but you never know they may be a good eperience for arriva

Didn't mention Arriva. If the X12 was curtailed to just Durham and not go to Newcastle, the X21 would get a few extra passengers to handle.
At least two of the boards on the X7/8 are already operated by single decks in form of the branded Commanders. Surely if Arriva felt there were any capacity issues associated with the allocation of two single decks they would have made the effort to source more double decks??
(22 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm)peter wrote At least two of the boards on the X7/8 are already operated by single decks in form of the branded Commanders. Surely if Arriva felt there were any capacity issues associated with the allocation of two single decks they would have made the effort to source more double decks??

Nah
(22 Aug 2015, 1:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote Nah

actual it is true if arriva had any doubt at putting a single decker on a route of that length then they would have put one of the ex london buses on and kept the commanders off that route.
(22 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm)peter wrote At least two of the boards on the X7/8 are already operated by single decks in form of the branded Commanders. Surely if Arriva felt there were any capacity issues associated with the allocation of two single decks they would have made the effort to source more double decks??

Well you're talking about Arriva here. Consistency isn't a word.
(22 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Didn't mention Arriva. If the X12 was curtailed to just Durham and not go to Newcastle, the X21 would get a few extra passengers to handle.

The x21 is often packed.
[quote='NK53 TKT' pid='124054' dateline='1440255072']
Was on the X21 yesterday and it was very busy.
[/quo

yes they do get quite busy at times and so does the x20
(22 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm)buss14 wrote
(22 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Was on the X21 yesterday and it was very busy.
[/quo

yes they do get quite busy at times and so does the x20
I would have to agree
(22 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I would have to agree

i do go on the x20 a lot because after north seaton it doesnt stop anywhere else ti gosforth. the ex london buses work very well on this route.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm)buss14 wrote i do go on the x20 a lot because after north seaton it doesnt stop anywhere else ti gosforth. the ex london buses work very well on this route.

However the X20 can have 3 people on in Gosforth, I saw one earlier with one passenger. Having seen the X20 in Amble and Gosforth and some other places I assume ALX400s are well suited
(22 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm)NK53 TKT wrote However the X20 can have 3 people on in Gosforth, I saw one earlier with one passenger. Having seen the X20 in Amble and Gosforth and some other places I assume ALX400s are well suited

near ashington college the road is rough and their suspension is excellent and they do go good on the A19 and spine road.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:16 pm)buss14 wrote near ashington college the road is rough and their suspension is excellent and they do go good on the A19 and spine road.

I did really like the ones like W397 RBB that were for the coastliner. They felt like they suited the 306 amazingly compared to the current streetlites.
And thinking about it, I think the x12 is Arriva's only bridge between its Durham/teesside/Darlington operations and those north of the Tyne.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:19 pm)BusLoverMum wrote And thinking about it, I think the x12 is Arriva's only bridge between its Durham/teesside/Darlington operations and those north of the Tyne.

Personally I would use the GNE X21 instead because I worry that it could be a pulsar and I have always worried about them becoming busy
(22 Aug 2015, 3:21 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Personally I would use the GNE X21 instead because I worry that it could be a pulsar and I have always worried about them becoming busy

The X12 doesn't get that busy, you shouldn't have to worry about the passenger numbers being too busy but I wouldn't say that it's always a ghost town.

If you are fearful of rammed buses you don't want to get the GNE X21 as some journeys especially on a morning can be at full seating capacity.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:31 pm)Jimmi wrote The X12 doesn't get that busy, you shouldn't have to worry about the passenger numbers being too busy but I wouldn't say that it's always a ghost town.

If you are fearful of rammed buses you don't want to get the GNE X21 as some journeys especially on a morning can be at full seating capacity.

Oh, thanks. Then I might try the X12 one time then
When I was in the Haymarket on Thursday there was a huge line probably of more than 47 people trying to board an MPD on the X14. Why does Ashington use MPDs?
(22 Aug 2015, 3:50 pm)NK53 TKT wrote When I was in the Haymarket on Thursday there was a huge line probably of more than 47 people trying to board an MPD on the X14. Why does Ashington use MPDs?

Because the short X14 workings interwork with the 57/A? and also 1 or 2 diagrams are a Blyth MPD with the rest being Ashingtons.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(22 Aug 2015, 3:52 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Because the short X14 workings interwork with the 57/A? and also 1 or 2 diagrams are a Blyth MPD with the rest being Ashingtons.

Ah, but that still doesn't make it sensible