Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724
Go North East: Service Suggestions | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(05 Sep 2013, 6:45 pm)CatsFast101 wrote An X1 via Rainton Bridge would be quite good however I think the 20 and 35 are more local services which I think would be more likely to pick up people along the route to Rainton Bridge, the X1 would have to be in addition to the 20 and 35.

I'm not keen on the Rainton Bridge Idea as it is very well served by the 20/35 and at Peak Times by the 921/922 and 923. The thinking behind my idea was to give passengers between Easington Lane and Shiney Row the best of both Services which they currently don't have.
(05 Sep 2013, 8:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote Without having timetables in front of me to check how practical it is, I wonder if the 128 is worth sending into Chester le Street station as well as Durham.

Obviously the bulk of the trains stop at Durham, with only the TPX calling at Chester, but if the timings were right, it may be of assistance towards passenger numbers come next Summer.

By VOSA today the 128 is getting withdrawn from November but your idea could work.

Wonder if it will get re-launched as a diffrent service, wasnt it the B1 before it was the 128?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Everyone seemed to of missed this one and skipped straight to the M1/X1 Idea, So I thought re-post it to gather a bit of feedback as it would of went unnoticed otherwise.

Washington Street Shuttle

M2 - Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell - Concord - Donwell - Heworth

M3 - Birtley - Barley Mow - Rickleton - Harraton - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell - Concord - Sulgrave - Heworth

M4 - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Washington Village - Barmston Court - Barmston - Concord - Donwell - Heworth

M5 - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Brady Square - Barmston - Concord - Sulgrave - Heworth

Each Service would run Every 30 Minutes, so each Area has an Every 15 Minute Service, which in parts would be every 6/7 Minutes. Services W5/W6 would be Withdrawn.

Also they'd interwork, So for example the M2/M4 and M3/M5 would interwork together.

Here a better example of the interworking

M2 - Birtley to Heworth
M4- Heworth to Washington
M4 - Washington to Heworth
M2 - Heworth to Birtley
M2 - Birtley to Heworth

Then onto an M4 again and vice versa throughout the day, hope that is easy to understand.
Marxista Fozzski
Just been thinking about the East Durham buses...

Revised 202 Peterlee-Easington-Hawthorn-Dalton Park-Woods Terrace-Barnes Road-Wellfield Road-Station Estate-Hetton-Moorsley-Belmont-Durham

The Timing would be close to an hour give or take.

Revised 265 Seaham-Dalton Park-Woods Terrace-Cornwall Estate-Burnip Road-Barnes Road-Murton Cenataph-Easington Lane-Elemore Lane-Pittington-Belmont-Durham...

Just another crackpot suggestion from Mista Fozz Wink
(06 Sep 2013, 12:28 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Everyone seemed to of missed this one and skipped straight to the M1/X1 Idea, So I thought re-post it to gather a bit of feedback as it would of went unnoticed otherwise.

Washington Street Shuttle

M2 - Birtley - Portobello - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell - Concord - Donwell - Heworth

M3 - Birtley - Barley Mow - Rickleton - Harraton - Ayton - Lambton - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell - Concord - Sulgrave - Heworth

M4 - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Washington Village - Barmston Court - Barmston - Concord - Donwell - Heworth

M5 - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Brady Square - Barmston - Concord - Sulgrave - Heworth

Each Service would run Every 30 Minutes, so each Area has an Every 15 Minute Service, which in parts would be every 6/7 Minutes. Services W5/W6 would be Withdrawn.

Also they'd interwork, So for example the M2/M4 and M3/M5 would interwork together.

Here a better example of the interworking

M2 - Birtley to Heworth
M4- Heworth to Washington
M4 - Washington to Heworth
M2 - Heworth to Birtley
M2 - Birtley to Heworth

Then onto an M4 again and vice versa throughout the day, hope that is easy to understand.

good idea - its easier to understand to.. would u name it.. Washington Street Shuttle?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(06 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Just been thinking about the East Durham buses...

Revised 202 Peterlee-Easington-Hawthorn-Dalton Park-Woods Terrace-Barnes Road-Wellfield Road-Station Estate-Hetton-Moorsley-Belmont-Durham

The Timing would be close to an hour give or take.

Revised 265 Seaham-Dalton Park-Woods Terrace-Cornwall Estate-Burnip Road-Barnes Road-Murton Cenataph-Easington Lane-Elemore Lane-Pittington-Belmont-Durham...

Just another crackpot suggestion from Mista Fozz Wink

When GNE took on the secured East Durham bus services commercially, there were a couple of conditions and one of the conditions were to keep the main key links on the bus services otherwise GNE would of lost the services to other bus operators, this is why the majority of the East Durham bus services had to be secured in the first place but by changing some services then the key links will wont be there. Nice to see suggestions on the East Durham Brand but will not happen for sometime, the 202 has to be on between Peterlee and Seaham but the section between Seaham and Sunderland did get withdrawn but the service got revised with the new 238 between Sunderland and Seaham almost similar route which provides the key link. even though theres a direct link on the X7 between Peterlee and Seaham but the X7 is a non stop express while the 202 and 238 is all stops. The link between South Hetton to Durham via Pittington has to remain aswell.

Marxista Fozzski
(06 Sep 2013, 5:27 pm)cbma06 wrote When GNE took on the secured East Durham bus services commercially, there were a couple of conditions and one of the conditions were to keep the main key links on the bus services otherwise GNE would of lost the services to other bus operators, this is why the majority of the East Durham bus services had to be secured in the first place but by changing some services then the key links will wont be there. Nice to see suggestions on the East Durham Brand but will not happen for sometime, the 202 has to be on between Peterlee and Seaham but the section between Seaham and Sunderland did get withdrawn but the service got revised with the new 238 between Sunderland and Seaham almost similar route which provides the key link. even though theres a direct link on the X7 between Peterlee and Seaham but the X7 is a non stop express while the 202 and 238 is all stops. The link between South Hetton to Durham via Pittington has to remain aswell.

I never knew about conditions placed on the East Durham Brand...

One thing they could do sometime would be to reinstate the link round Cornwall Estate, it was never heavily used, but people, mostly OAP's, but they did use it to goto Hetton and Durham
(06 Sep 2013, 5:33 pm)fozzovmurton wrote I never knew about conditions placed on the East Durham Brand...

One thing they could do sometime would be to reinstate the link round Cornwall Estate, it was never heavily used, but people, mostly OAP's, but they did use it to goto Hetton and Durham

Since I live in the East Durham area, I would perfered if GNE could expand there East Durham bus services more and do a proper service between Sunderland and Hartlepool without going via the world, and push Arriva out of the area as a lot of people are not happy with Arriva service for quite sometime ago when there decided to cut services from housing estates forcing the passengers and elderly passengers to walk quite a distant to get to the bus stop.

(06 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm)citaro5284 wrote If it is a commerical service, who would these conditions be set by?

There were set by Durham County Council Transport Section.

(06 Sep 2013, 5:48 pm)citaro5284 wrote Oh OK thanks for that. If they are not paying for it, I do not see why they should have a say in the service. Tongue

I think its because the way the East Durham bus services were secured because there were not profitable for the bus company, that's why there were secured in the first place, but if GNE takes it on commercially because there were going to lose the secured contracts to run them with Arriva waiting in the wings itching to get the contract even though most of the services used to be ran by Arriva, and the council secured services were up for renewal at the same time and the council awarding more secured work to independent companies ie Scarlet Band. Anyway back on track, When GNE gets them commercially there was nothing stopping GNE making a mess of the service routes and times which passengers would complain and the council would have to secure the services again and this is why Durham Council put a clause into it so GNE wouldn't take the piss lol

(06 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm)cbma06 wrote I think its because the way the East Durham bus services were secured because there were not profitable for the bus company, that's why there were secured in the first place, but if GNE takes it on commercially because there were going to lose the secured contracts to run them with Arriva waiting in the wings itching to get the contract even though most of the services used to be ran by Arriva, and the council secured services were up for renewal at the same time and the council awarding more secured work to independent companies ie Scarlet Band. Anyway back on track, When GNE gets them commercially there was nothing stopping GNE making a mess of the service routes and times which passengers would complain and the council would have to secure the services again and this is why Durham Council put a clause into it so GNE wouldn't take the piss lol

Why was the 206 timetable cut from 1 per hour to nearly every two hours after a early bus there is a 3 hour gap the same on the afternoon with DCC paying only for last run. DCC have refused to subsidies any further runs.
(06 Sep 2013, 6:29 pm)2bagstew wrote Why was the 206 timetable cut from 1 per hour to nearly every two hours after a early bus there is a 3 hour gap the same on the afternoon with DCC paying only for last run. DCC have refused to subsidies any further runs.

When the 206 got changed there only kept the journeys that had the most passengers on and cancelled the journeys which wasn't worth it, so by changing the service then passengers who would got on the ones that were withdrawn would all get on the journeys that are running that's why there decided to extend the X35 journeys which terminated and commenced at Black Hall Rocks to Hesleden area and Castle Eden so the bus can run back to Deptford depot empty on the A19.

I sent the following suggestion to GNE quite awhile ago.

Service X35 To run as normal between Sunderland and Hartlepool but every hour

Service X37 Since GNE thinking about running a new service X36 between Sunderland and Newcastle, l had to change my suggestion from X36 to X37. To run this service every hour between Sunderland and Hartlepool providing the 30 minute service on most of this route with service X35 but between Peterlee and Black Hall Rocks to have this service run from Peterlee bus station to A19 roundabout serving East Durham College and A19 slip road then coming off the next turn off south bound then the 206 route to Blackhall Rocks from Castle Eden then normal X35 route to Hartlepool. at present service X35 connecting with service X9 at Peterlee bus station, and service X37 could connect with service X10 at Peterlee sliproad on A19 Southbound. at present theres no guarantee for connection between X35 and X9 so this will be the same as proposed service X37 and service X10 from A19 Peterlee slip road.

providing new links to East Durham College and new links for Hesleden areas to Hartlepool and Sunderland.

Service 201 Same route but extended from Peterlee Industrial Estate to Hutton Henry via Shotton and Wingate to cover the loss of service 206.

Wellfield road and Wingate is covered by the X7 with the loss of service 206.

CatsFast101
Unregistered
It would be nice to see East Durham College get a few more bus services running past it. And with the 206 parts of the route a frequency increase with the X7 serving parts of the route.
(07 Sep 2013, 3:57 pm)CatsFast101 wrote It would be nice to see East Durham College get a few more bus services running past it. And with the 206 parts of the route a frequency increase with the X7 serving parts of the route.

Arriva 21 and 21A goes past the East Durham college.
GNE X7 and X9 goes past the East Durham college but doesn't stop there.
GNE 201 goes past East Durham college only early morning and 5pm ish due to workers from the Industrial Estate to Bus station then at rest of the time it goes through the housing estate at the back of the college.

Just been looking at the Timetables for the X84/X85 and 685, despite there routes being slightly different between Newcastle and Hexham, the X85 and 685 take pretty much the same amount of Time. I have also added on the time to Carlisle for those interested. Could be a Viable extension if the X84/X85 is a success. Feel free to correct timings if they are wrong.

X84 - Newcastle to Hexham - 60 Minutes - To Carlisle - 140 Minutes
X85 - Newcastle to Hexham - 47 Minutes - To Carlisle - 127 Minutes
685 - Newcastle to Hexham - 45 Minutes - To Carlisle - 125 Minutes
Marxista Fozzski
(07 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Just been looking at the Timetables for the X84/X85 and 685, despite there routes being slightly different between Newcastle and Hexham, the X85 and 685 take pretty much the same amount of Time. I have also added on the time to Carlisle for those interested. Could be a Viable extension if the X84/X85 is a success. Feel free to correct timings if they are wrong.

X84 - Newcastle to Hexham - 60 Minutes - To Carlisle - 140 Minutes
X85 - Newcastle to Hexham - 47 Minutes - To Carlisle - 127 Minutes
685 - Newcastle to Hexham - 45 Minutes - To Carlisle - 125 Minutes

Like the Carlisle idea, could it be said that Arriva and Stagecoach have that well wrapped.

For me, if I were ever to go Carlisle on a bus again, I would look for a Service that came in around the 2 hours mark with a stopping pattern along the lines Arrivas X93, between Boro and Whitby, it only stops at Guisborough, so if GNE ever started competing on that route, I would like to see it

Newcastle-Hexham-Carlise using the A69 all the way, whether it would be feasible I dont know, but interesting idea all the same Wink
(07 Sep 2013, 7:12 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Like the Carlisle idea, could it be said that Arriva and Stagecoach have that well wrapped.

For me, if I were ever to go Carlisle on a bus again, I would look for a Service that came in around the 2 hours mark with a stopping pattern along the lines Arrivas X93, between Boro and Whitby, it only stops at Guisborough, so if GNE ever started competing on that route, I would like to see it

Newcastle-Hexham-Carlise using the A69 all the way, whether it would be feasible I dont know, but interesting idea all the same Wink

I believe passengers in this area will all receive Key Cards like the passengers on X7 did. So potentially GNE could gain a lot of passengers from it leading to the X84/X85's Success in the long run, which could lead to an extension in the future. As for other links to Hexham/Carlisle I wouldn't mind seeing one from Sunderland, thing is would it be viable.
Marxista Fozzski
(07 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I believe passengers in this area will all receive Key Cards like the passengers on X7 did. So potentially GNE could gain a lot of passengers from it leading to the X84/X85's Success in the long run, which could lead to an extension in the future. As for other links to Hexham/Carlisle I wouldn't mind seeing one from Sunderland, thing is would it be viable.

I remember a few years ago, a couple of Deptford Lads were talking about the possibility of the 56 getting extended to Hexham, whether that was ever seriously thought about I dont know or whether drivers would just tell me things to amuse me and give me something to talk about, but it never happened. But some drivers have also told me they dont hear about changes till round about the same time we do.

I would like a Sunderland-Hexham service, I like Hexham although I aint been for a while, if there was a bus nearby I would probably go more, as long as it was not something like the 638 and stopping at every single stop and every ruddy village in between.

It could done by extending a current Sunderland-Newcastle service on a trial basis, maybe the X3 or X36, extending the 56 would become more of a magical mystery tour than it already is.

Or introduce a new service all together

Sunderland-Waterview Park-The Galleries-Gateshead-MetroCentre-Blaydon-Corbridge-Hexham...but like you I wonder if it would be viable
(08 Sep 2013, 7:15 am)fozzovmurton wrote It could done by extending a current Sunderland-Newcastle service on a trial basis, maybe the X3 or X36, extending the 56 would become more of a magical mystery tour than it already is.

Well, the X3/X36 seem to need a bit of a boost as they haven't really been all that successful since they were introduced. Possibly something a bit radical like extending it to Hexham could be worth trying.
Some of these suggestions on here are just fantasy and are out of this world (maybe the moderator could do a separate thread of insane fantasy world of bus routes) lol.

Running a bus service from Sunderland to Hexham is just daft and insane, even if you merge the 56 and 10 together or the X3/X36 merge into the X84/X85, just think of the complications you get if there is a road closed or accidents at one end of the route and then you get the knock on effect for the rest of the route.

If you want to go to Hexham from Sunderland then use the X3/X36 then the X84/X85

GNE couldn't even run a bus service from North Side of the river to the South side of the river in Sunderland (old 29/29A/39/39A also the old 26/36) which there had to cancel due to reliability issues crossing Sunderland.

please be serious making suggestions, god knows what GNE think if there ever look on this website for suggestions, GNE management must be laughing their head off while there counting there £20 notes and sharing them out in the board room so there can light their cigars puffing away like big fat cats lol.

Site Administrator
(08 Sep 2013, 4:42 pm)aureolin wrote I think one way express services out of Washington would work best Wink

Can these express services be allocated the Washington Street Shuttle MPDs?
Carlisle Clipper

*New Service* C1 - Carlisle – Brampton

*New Service* C2 - Carlisle – Brampton – Gilsland – Greenhead – Haltwhistle

*New Service* C3 - Carlisle – Brampton – Gilsland – Greenhead – Haltwhistle – Bardon Mill – Haydon Bridge – Hexham

*New Service* C4 - Corbridge – Hexham – Haydon Bridge – Bardon Mill – Haltwhistle – Greenshead – Gilsland – Brampton

Tynedale Links

*New Service* H12 - Whitley Chapel - Dalton - Dotland - Dipton Mill - Hexham - Corbridge - Ovington - Ovingham - Wylam - Heddon-on-the-Wall - Throckley -

*New Service* 681 - Throckley - Heddon on The Wall – Horsley – Corbridge – Hexham

*New Service* 682 - East End - Hexham Town Centre – Corbridge

Tynedale Xpress

*New Service* X83 - Carlisle – Brampton – Greenhead – Haltwhistle – Bardon Mill – Haydon Bridge - Hexham - Corbridge - Stocksfield - Prudhoe - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - Metrocentre

Other Ideas

Service between Consett and Hexham
Service between Carlisle and Gretna/Annan if Feasable (Xpress Service)
(08 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm)Daniel wrote Can these express services be allocated the Washington Street Shuttle MPDs?

Knowing Washington YES they would, the amount of times an MPD has been on the X1/M1/88 and 88A
I can't see GNE taking on Arriva and more importantly, Stagecoach in the Cumbria region
Marxista Fozzski
Some of these suggestions on here are just fantasy and are out of this world (maybe the moderator could do a separate thread of insane fantasy world of bus routes) lol.

Running a bus service from Sunderland to Hexham is just daft and insane, even if you merge the 56 and 10 together or the X3/X36 merge into the X84/X85, just think of the complications you get if there is a road closed or accidents at one end of the route and then you get the knock on effect for the rest of the route.

If you want to go to Hexham from Sunderland then use the X3/X36 then the X84/X85

GNE couldn't even run a bus service from North Side of the river to the South side of the river in Sunderland (old 29/29A/39/39A also the old 26/36) which there had to cancel due to reliability issues crossing Sunderland.

please be serious making suggestions, god knows what GNE think if there ever look on this website for suggestions, GNE management must be laughing their head off while there counting there £20 notes and sharing them out in the board room so there can light their cigars puffing away like big fat cats lol.

I take your point mate, the point I was making about Sunderland-Hexham is not pure fantasy, as I said, it was mentioned to me as a rumour by a couple of drivers, whether they really believed it I dont know ans could have told me just to amuse me and give me something to talk about and mentioned that it would be a service I would use, but if would be financially viable, I dont know...Must say one thing mind, got to like Mr Malarkeys passion for the ideas he comes up with, he always puts some thought into it and obviously enjoys looking for that 1 idea that may just have us thinking it might just happen. 1 thing I must say, some suggestions I make is always pretty much what I would to myself and dont really think about the viability.

Carlisle Clipper

*New Service* C1 - Carlisle – Brampton

*New Service* C2 - Carlisle – Brampton – Gilsland – Greenhead – Haltwhistle

*New Service* C3 - Carlisle – Brampton – Gilsland – Greenhead – Haltwhistle – Bardon Mill – Haydon Bridge – Hexham

*New Service* C4 - Corbridge – Hexham – Haydon Bridge – Bardon Mill – Haltwhistle – Greenshead – Gilsland – Brampton

Tynedale Links

*New Service* H12 - Whitley Chapel - Dalton - Dotland - Dipton Mill - Hexham - Corbridge - Ovington - Ovingham - Wylam - Heddon-on-the-Wall - Throckley -

*New Service* 681 - Throckley - Heddon on The Wall – Horsley – Corbridge – Hexham

*New Service* 682 - East End - Hexham Town Centre – Corbridge

Tynedale Xpress

*New Service* X83 - Carlisle – Brampton – Greenhead – Haltwhistle – Bardon Mill – Haydon Bridge - Hexham - Corbridge - Stocksfield - Prudhoe - Crawcrook - Ryton - Blaydon - Metrocentre

Other Ideas

Service between Consett and Hexham
Service between Carlisle and Gretna/Annan if Feasable (Xpress Service)

As always, I do like your enthusiasm, comes across as if you love coming up with a new idea and put thought into it, so well done mate...

However, Annan, really, that is really pushing it, if going to Annan, you may as well continue to Dumfries, not that I would put that suggestion, forward...Although it isnt likely to happen, that kind of run would be better for an coach operation
Now I've seen C1, C2, etc mentioned, out of interest, can anyone remember the C1 & C2 that briefly ran in Washington down Fatfield Road? I can't recall who operated it, I'm thinking GNE did but there again a dark blue Kingsley springs to mind.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(08 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm)aureolin wrote Now I've seen C1, C2, etc mentioned, out of interest, can anyone remember the C1 & C2 that briefly ran in Washington down Fatfield Road? I can't recall who operated it, I'm thinking GNE did but there again a dark blue Kingsley springs to mind.

Was that not C for Calvarly Coaches based at Concord?.

I remember the C10 in Sunderland in the late 80's early 90's, Sunderland to Pennywell operated by Jamsons Coaches from Pallion using and blue and white coach.