You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(22 Aug 2015, 3:18 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I did really like the ones like W397 RBB that were for the coastliner. They felt like they suited the 306 amazingly compared to the current streetlites.

What? The ones that Jesmond rested on evenings and Sundays and used B10BLE's instead and if capacity was required, Volvo Olympians.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:59 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote What? The ones that Jesmond rested on evenings and Sundays and used B10BLE's instead and if capacity was required, Volvo Olympians.

Yes, as weird as it sounds I quite liked them. I would quite like to go on 659 and 664 if I get a chance. I just do not know the routes they operate on.
(22 Aug 2015, 3:54 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Ah, but that still doesn't make it sensible

There's pretty much no Double Decks at Ashington to cover these short workings to the point that 2 single deck Scania CN94UB Omnicitys are allocated to main X14s.
and Blyth have there full size VDL Pulsars allocated to some Blyth expresses ( X4,X5 and X13 )
There's only Streetlites that can be called full size single decks at Ashington and there always used on the 35s.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(22 Aug 2015, 3:54 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Ah, but that still doesn't make it sensible

It may not be sensible, but it's not the fault of the depot, when it is rebranded as X16 it should help as people will know to avoid it.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:01 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Yes, as weird as it sounds I quite liked them. I would quite like to go on 659 and 664 if I get a chance. I just do not know the routes they operate on.

Could be wrong here, but I think 659 and 664 are Volvo B7TL's, while the W-RBB batch were Trident's.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote There's pretty much no Double Decks at Ashington to cover these short workings to the point that 2 single deck Scania CN94UB Omnicitys are allocated to main X14s.
and Blyth have there full size VDL Pulsars allocated to some Blyth expresses ( X4,X5 and X13 )
There's only Streetlites that can be called full size single decks  at Ashington and there always used on the 35s.

I do kind of wish Arriva would by new buses for the 685/85 and then have them cascaded to Ashington with for example pulsars in sapphire spec on the 85/685.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm)mb134 wrote Could be wrong here, but I think 659 and 664 are Volvo B7TL's, while the W-RBB batch were Trident's.

where the T-FGN buses tridents or are they B7TL's?
(22 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm)mb134 wrote Could be wrong here, but I think 659 and 664 are Volvo B7TL's, while the W-RBB batch were Trident's.
Oh, still they may be worth a ride.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm)buss14 wrote where the T-FGN buses tridents or are they B7TL's?

Think they were DAF DB250?
(22 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote There none of them, There are DAF DB250s

see thats what confuses me some say DAF DB250's the different people say B7TL's or tridents.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm)mb134 wrote Think they were DAF DB250?

Yes you are correct they were DAF, ex. London and ex Classic. I think they kind of resemble the Pronto presidents.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:11 pm)buss14 wrote see thats what confuses me some say DAF DB250's the different people say B7TL's or tridents.

Definitely DAF, prior to the arrival of 659 and 664, 7445/6 were the only B7TL/ALX400 vehicles in the ANE fleet.
(22 Aug 2015, 4:12 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Yes you are correct they were DAF, ex. London and ex Classic. I think they kind of resemble the Pronto presidents.

are the ex london buses DDA compliant for example.
ETC
(22 Aug 2015, 4:14 pm)mb134 wrote Definitely DAF, prior to the arrival of 659 and 664, 7445/6 were the only B7TL/ALX400 vehicles in the ANE fleet.

Oh I much preffered the tridents to the newer 05 B7TLs
(22 Aug 2015, 4:16 pm)buss14 wrote are the ex london buses DDA compliant for example.
ETC

They should because they were manufactured after the date when manufacturing non DDA buses was not allowed.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Personally ALX400s or anything ex-London is now suitable on the X20 or the 35 (or any other route). Passengers want a modern, clean, comfortable bus that isn't a slow cast-off that some Mr Johnson didn't want in his city. Yes, alright, they're better than the Olympians as they don't have to leave vulnerable and disabled passengers behind.

The X20 should have been extended once newer vehicles have been sourced, the promotion for the X20 at the moment is extremely poor. I've only noted it on Arriva website, on buses nowhere near Ashington and a poorly displayed poster on the portacabin at Ashington. Timetables are unable to be issued as the route map shows that it uses Hawthorn Road. Arriva have taken up my complaint about the promotion about Alnmouth Station (a poorly printed poster that should be displayed on buses soon) but why can't they do it with the X18?

Overall, I find the promotion, extending the route without newer vehicles and then promoting the route a farce. Who wants to ride the old crappy buses that were on the route already?
(22 Aug 2015, 3:21 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Personally I would use the GNE X21 instead because I worry that it could be a pulsar and I have always worried about them becoming busy

While the bridge works have been on, we've been missing the X21 and have ended up on either the 21 or the X12 when we've been heading toward Newcastle. This morning was the first time we got into Durham early enough to connect to the Pronto all summer holidays.
(22 Aug 2015, 5:50 pm)BusLoverMum wrote While the bridge works have been on, we've been missing the X21 and have ended up on either the 21 or the X12 when we've been heading toward Newcastle. This morning was the first time we got into Durham early enough to connect to the Pronto all summer holidays.

Lucky that
Why doesn't Arriva get the 7 and X12 to link up, if they did this they could advertise Darlington to Newcastle/Middlesbrough connections which could bring in a lot of cash
(22 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Personally ALX400s or anything ex-London is now suitable on the X20 or the 35 (or any other route). Passengers want a modern, clean, comfortable bus that isn't a slow cast-off that some Mr Johnson didn't want in his city. Yes, alright, they're better than the Olympians as they don't have to leave vulnerable and disabled passengers behind.

The X20 should have been extended once newer vehicles have been sourced, the promotion for the X20 at the moment is extremely poor. I've only noted it on Arriva website, on buses nowhere near Ashington and a poorly displayed poster on the portacabin at Ashington. Timetables are unable to be issued as the route map shows that it uses Hawthorn Road. Arriva have taken up my complaint about the promotion about Alnmouth Station (a poorly printed poster that should be displayed on buses soon) but why can't they do it with the X18?

Overall, I find the promotion, extending the route without newer vehicles and then promoting the route a farce. Who wants to ride the old crappy buses that were on the route already?
Totally agree with you mate. I was also wrong about the X21 / X22. Nedderton is only a slight PITA and if you consider that you can get roughly 18 mile each way in less than an hour, then that actually aint too bad unless you include Newbiggin. I also think that the X20 should certainly be promoted more.

I must say that I've had a look at Arriva's fleet list and it seems very scrappy with any old bus (particaularly MAX branded vehicles) being thrown about anywhere. Arriva need to have a good clean up with some more investment and more standardisation in the fleet rather than just chucking buses around left, right and centre. GNE's fleet is mostly standardised and easy to allocate and Arriva need to do the following:

- Is the route a single or double deck route (excluding the 6 and 7 for occasional capacity boost).
- Is the vehicle type going to be the same or very similar.

It's no good having single deckers running around on the long X14, some X15 runs and some X12 runs and even old B7s tearing around on the X20. This is what it should look like:

All double deck MAX DB300 routes:
- X7, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12, X20 (if no E400savailable).

All double deck MAX E400 routes:
- X14, X15, X18, X20 (DB300s if none available).

A pool of spare modern MAX deckers that can be swapped around when needed (i.e summer X93 extras).

All single deck MAX routes running with ONE type of single deck vehicle.
(22 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Totally agree with you mate. I was also wrong about the X21 / X22. Nedderton is only a slight PITA and if you consider that you can get roughly 18 mile each way in less than an hour, then that actually aint too bad unless you include Newbiggin. I also think that the X20 should certainly be promoted more.

I must say that I've had a look at Arriva's fleet list and it seems very scrappy with any old bus (particaularly MAX branded vehicles) being thrown about anywhere. Arriva need to have a good clean up with some more investment and more standardisation in the fleet rather than just chucking buses around left, right and centre. GNE's fleet is mostly standardised and easy to allocate and  Arriva need to do the following:

- Is the route a single or double deck route (excluding the 6 and 7 for occasional capacity boost).
- Is the vehicle type going to be the same or very similar.

It's no good having single deckers running around on the long X14, some X15 runs and some X12 runs and even old B7s tearing around on the X20. This is what it should look like:

All double deck MAX DB300 routes:
- X7, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12, X20 (if no E400savailable).

All double deck MAX E400 routes:
- X14, X15, X18, X20 (DB300s if none available).

A pool of spare modern MAX deckers that can be swapped around when needed (i.e summer X93 extras).

All single deck MAX routes running with ONE type of single deck vehicle.

i think the most modernist bus since 7519 7520 7521 have been absent have been LF02 PKV/LF02 PKX. also the 35/35a double decker side of things seem to be constant older ex london buses par from the odd 1 MPD that wonders onto the route and a sapphire pulsar.
does anyone know what type of vehicles will be coming from london. what ever they are i hope they go faster than DLA stock that we got in 2013.
(22 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm)buss14 wrote does anyone know what type of vehicles will be coming from london. what ever they are i hope they go faster than DLA stock that we got in 2013.

Well its your lucky day.....Were getting more Volvo B7TL Gemini's. Half a year younger than our present ones not sure what there registrations are or ex London fleetnumbers though they will have been numbered VLW**** in London
(22 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Well its your lucky day.....Were getting more Volvo B7TL Gemini's. Half a year younger than our present ones not sure what there registrations are or ex London fleetnumbers though they will have been numbered VLW**** in London

cool i love the gemini B7TL's they are the better ex london buses.
sorry for all the questions but when the service changes in ashington and blyth does that mean the buses branded for the current services will have to be rebranded ?
(22 Aug 2015, 7:27 pm)buss14 wrote sorry for all the questions but when the service changes in ashington and blyth does that mean the buses branded for the current services will have to be rebranded ?

I hope not!
(22 Aug 2015, 6:58 pm)buss14 wrote i think the most modernist bus since 7519 7520 7521 have been absent have been LF02 PKV/LF02 PKX. also the 35/35a double decker side of things seem to be constant older ex london buses par from the odd 1 MPD that wonders onto the route and a sapphire pulsar.

The allocation for the 35/35a has always been older vehicles, and I don't see much wrong with what is currently on there. For what is a pretty short service time wise, roughly 20 minutes from Ashington to Morpeth, the DAF ALX400's are more than fine, pretty comfortable seats, pretty pacey, and warm, can't ask much more of a bus.