You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(21 Aug 2015, 11:48 am)South Tyne Lad wrote The ALX300 bodied B10s are definitely DDA Compliant

Surprised they would rather refurbish 5 Cadets than 5 B10BLEs for the sake of a few months age difference. The Cadets will be non standard whereas they're going to be keeping the W reg B10BLEs anyway.
If the Cadets are that good why only refurbish 5? Must be able to source five DDA buses from somewhere?

(22 Aug 2015, 12:40 pm)buss14 wrote technically i would say that the MPDs are that bad they are very reliable on the 57/57a and they go well on the x14.
i do know they dont look the best or sound the best but at the end of the day they are still fit for service and i think that will possibly be the way arriva sees it aswell.

AREN'T you mean?!

By the way, anyone else finding whenever you post something the page closes, or is it these computers in the library? It didn't used to do it.

(22 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm)buss14 wrote i am not taking sides but you never know a single decker bus may work out well and may save arriva a lot of money aswell

How will it save a lot of money? Running costs aren't that different.

(22 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm)peter wrote At least two of the boards on the X7/8 are already operated by single decks in form of the branded Commanders. Surely if Arriva felt there were any capacity issues associated with the allocation of two single decks they would have made the effort to source more double decks??

How many years did it take them to sort the 93s?!

(22 Aug 2015, 8:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They already have the X66 between Darlington and Middlesbrough and probably don't see a lot of capital in promoting the 2 1/4 hour journey between Darlington and Newcastle. You can do it in half an hour on the train for as little as £11, with a bit of forward planning

But its only £7.70 on the bus!

(23 Aug 2015, 9:53 am)Michael wrote All the floors become sticky on the buses at one point.

Especially if Mr K's been on them!
(24 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm)Dan wrote The ex-London buses Arriva North East acquires are often in immaculate condition when they enter service. Just look at the photos below - and they weren't taken immediately after entering service, either!

To Joe Bloggs; there's absolutely nothing to suggest they came from London, unlike Go North East's Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Vykings which retain their dual-door configuration used only to allow wheelchair passengers on-board if they require a ramp... I think most customers will see the introduction of newer Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini vehicles as an upgrade, especially as they'll be Wi-Fi fitted if to MAX spec.

Yet, TfL safety stickers are still present throughout the vehicle? People know these buses are old, there's no fooling them. Alright, the B7s are nice and the interior has a modern-ish feel.

Where are the other 2 of the 6 B7s going?
(23 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm)tyresmoke wrote 7 Temsa's in should replace 4507, 4510, 4513 and 4515 plus 1303, 1101 and one other vehicle, probably another Dart.
4501 doesn't count as its only a temporary vehicle for the extra PVR on the 81 while the roadworks are causing a (lengthy) diversion.

1101?! Where's that going?

What about 4511?
(23 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Is it me or is this I like this bus which nobody else likes crap is getting a bit tedious now?!

I can swear that all the details you're looking for are on this forum already: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/search.php

3 WiFi MPDs will transfer to Jesmond for the X16 - the Temsas will be going somewhere on Teesside - 7519-21 are going to Belmont - Ashington are getting 'new to the fleet' vehicles for the MAX X20 - we've gone over this about fifty times already!

Yes, 15 pages to read since Saturday and I've learnt very little!
(23 Aug 2015, 4:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote Well it would make a change from someone else doing it  Angel

Hope we're not going to get back onto bodily fluids on buses?!
(24 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm)Cock Robin wrote Yes, 15 pages to read since Saturday and I've learnt very little!

Since then, Urban90s have become the seat of choice. Some crap buses will be used on the X20, with urban90 seating. Some more crap buses will transfer from Whitby to Jesmond for no reason whatsoever. 1795/6 were good buses. All MPDs are good buses. Y-registered Lowlanders (that's 7436-7444) are extra brilliant buses and will be preserved.

Some great times ahead for passengers in Newcastle and South East Northumberland.   Rolleyes
(24 Aug 2015, 5:52 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I really do disagree

Don't you dare start talking about Urban 90's I think I speak for everyone saying enough you've made more post in 3 days than I can in 3 months. Over 65 posts a day isn't something to be proud of only Biglugs beat that when he first joined!
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(24 Aug 2015, 5:54 pm)DanPicken wrote Don't you dare start talking about Urban 90's I think I speak for everyone saying enough you've made more post in half a week than I can in 3 months.

OK then, I'll say that I have just been on a very rattly 1493 on the X13 to Cramlington.
(24 Aug 2015, 5:57 pm)NK53 TKT wrote OK then, I'll say that I have just been on a very rattly 1493 on the X13 to Cramlington.

I won't sleep tonight until the rattles have been fixed......................  Rolleyes
(24 Aug 2015, 6:00 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I won't sleep tonight until the rattles have been fixed......................  Rolleyes

Neither will I we need the engineers on it now! Tongue
(24 Aug 2015, 6:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Send it to Errshington, they'll saart it all oot!

They'll make it worse! Smile
(24 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Yet, TfL safety stickers are still present throughout the vehicle? People know these buses are old, there's no fooling them. Alright, the B7s are nice and the interior has a modern-ish feel.

If they're given a full MAX refurbishment, then I don't think people will notice the age at all, whack some private plates on even less so...
(24 Aug 2015, 7:05 pm)mb134 wrote If they're given a full MAX refurbishment, then I don't think people will notice the age at all, whack some private plates on even less so...

One thing that amused me slightly was when we had some of the Plaxton Prima's at Darlington for the X66 and 1208 broke down in Darlington Town Centre and I heard pensioners moaning about the bus being broke and one of them said "It's an 08 reg bus" when they were actually V reg.
(24 Aug 2015, 7:17 pm)Jimmi wrote One thing that amused me slightly was when we had some of the Plaxton Prima's at Darlington for the X66 and 1208 broke down in Darlington Town Centre and I heard pensioners moaning about the bus being broke and one of them said "It's an 08 reg bus" when they were actually V reg.

Though even in there last years on the X15 they still felt comfy , and well suited to the route and my nana used to ask me " Are these buses new? " and she was really surprised to hear they were 15 years old! Shame we cant say the same about the buses that replaced them ( Enviro 400 )
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Though even in there last years on the X15 they still felt comfy , and well suited to the route and my nana used to ask me " Are these buses new? " and she was really surprised to hear they were 15 years old!    Shame we cant say the same about the buses that replaced them ( Enviro 400 )

At least the E400's have a larger capacity, which is very handy, frequently see full loads leaving Newcastle as peak times. 

The Enviro 400's are also probably more reliable, seem to recall the Prima's were always off the road.
(24 Aug 2015, 8:13 pm)mb134 wrote At least the E400's have a larger capacity, which is very handy, frequently see full loads leaving Newcastle as peak times. 

The Enviro 400's are also probably more reliable, seem to recall the Prima's were always off the road.

Though yes it benefits capacity wise and reliability wise, from a personal point of view I would definitely have Primas.
Yeah there was at least 1 or 2 Primas off at one time, substituted by E400s or them decent 57 reg VDL DB250s I also recall seeing a Wright bodied B10 on the X15 once...
In rush hour
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 Aug 2015, 4:29 pm)Cock Robin wrote Surprised they would rather refurbish 5 Cadets than 5 B10BLEs for the sake of a few months age difference. The Cadets will be non standard whereas they're going to be keeping the W reg B10BLEs anyway.
If the Cadets are that good why only refurbish 5? Must be able to source five DDA buses from somewhere?

I think it'll go on the engineering book value to decide which of the fleet will be kept. Logically, and from a personal point of view, keeping the Volvo's would make far more sense.
The number being kept I think is just to fill a hole in the number of Pulsars being transferred. They could have brought in some ex London deckers run around in red and London spec much cheaper, they could last a few months I'm sure, and for very little cost...

(24 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Yet, TfL safety stickers are still present throughout the vehicle? People know these buses are old, there's no fooling them. Alright, the B7s are nice and the interior has a modern-ish feel.

I'd imagine they'll replace 2 DLAs at Ashington? Not 100% sure

(24 Aug 2015, 5:24 pm)Cock Robin wrote 1101?! Where's that going?

What about 4511?

1101 will be for disposal I'd guess. And yes I meant 4511 not 4510 which was binned a while ago.

(24 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Though yes it benefits capacity wise and reliability wise, from a personal point of view I would definitely have Primas.
Yeah there was at least 1 or 2 Primas off at one time, substituted by E400s or them decent  57 reg VDL DB250s I also recall seeing a Wright bodied B10 on the X15 once...
In rush hour

If only we lived in Scotland where coaches are the order of the day for long distance services such as this.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(24 Aug 2015, 8:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote I think it'll go on the engineering book value to decide which of the fleet will be kept. Logically, and from a personal point of view, keeping the Volvo's would make far more sense.
The number being kept I think is just to fill a hole in the number of Pulsars being transferred. They could have brought in some ex London deckers run around in red and London spec much cheaper, they could last a few months I'm sure, and for very little cost...

I'd imagine they'll replace 2 DLAs at Ashington? Not 100% sure

1101 will be for disposal I'd guess. And yes I meant 4511 not 4510 which was binned a while ago.

If only we lived in Scotland where coaches are the order of the day for long distance services such as this.

does any on know how decent 1101 1102 1103 1104 buses are like?
(24 Aug 2015, 8:45 pm)buss14 wrote does any on know how decent 1101 1102 1103 1104 buses are like?

I think they're pretty much the same as 1795/6, if so, they'll be horrific.
(24 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Though even in there last years on the X15 they still felt comfy , and well suited to the route and my nana used to ask me " Are these buses new? " and she was really surprised to hear they were 15 years old!    Shame we cant say the same about the buses that replaced them ( Enviro 400 )

They were very pleasant buses to travel on during a long trip north from Newcastle on a winters evening. Even though they were showing their age at end when one turned up it was always welcome. However I think coaches are better suited to more express type inter urban routes, which the X15 isn't really, especially north of Morpeth. I completely get why an E400 is a better choice in this day and age as it's a lot easier for lots of people with bags / prams / wheelchairs / mobility issues to get on and off quickly than a coach and has a higher capacity for busier stretches.
(24 Aug 2015, 8:47 pm)mb134 wrote I think they're pretty much the same as 1795/6, if so, they'll be horrific.

i may go up to whitby and get a ride on some buses and some photos
Site Administrator
(24 Aug 2015, 8:45 pm)buss14 wrote does any on know how decent 1101 1102 1103 1104 buses are like?

I've only had a ride of 1101 but it was pretty quick off the mark and was in very good condition internally:

https://flic.kr/p/rhG94w
https://flic.kr/p/qkYNw2

Much nicer than an MPD, in my opinion, but I have a soft spot for most ALX200s.
I've ridden one or two of them and I have found them to be quite nice buses when I have had them on the 22 from Redcar - Middlesbrough.
(24 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote I've only had a ride of 1101 but it was pretty quick off the mark and was in very good condition internally:

https://flic.kr/p/rhG94w
https://flic.kr/p/qkYNw2

Much nicer than an MPD, in my opinion, but I have a soft spot for most ALX200s.

saying that i dont know i do like MPD because they have slight bit of character in them
Site Administrator
(24 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Apparently the ALX200s at Blyth are affectionately nicknamed Knobs?

Different batch completely weren't they? Never heard a good word said about those two.