You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Your Travel Queries
(05 Aug 2015, 7:11 pm)Dan wrote The following services are scheduled to be allocated the gas buses:
  •  Service 3 - PVR 9
  • Service 13 - PVR 11
  • Service 16 - PVR 10
  • Service 20 - PVR 5
This adds up to a total PVR of 35 vehicles. As 40 of these gas buses are allocated to Sunderland Depot, there are regularly spare vehicles left over after the company covers any gas buses which are VOR. If the five spares aren't required, they're allocated to service 4 (which is officially allocated eleven ADL Enviro200s).

Cheers. Stagecoach are a complete mystery to me because I've never had to rely on them. Last one I caught was a very uncomfortable 100 to the Metrocentre (parrot on my shoulder just "helpfully" Angel reminded me we've caught the 685 from Hexham since then)
(05 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Cheers. Stagecoach are a complete mystery to me because I've never had to rely on them. Last one I caught was a very uncomfortable 100 to the Metrocentre (parrot on my shoulder just "helpfully" Angel reminded me we've caught the 685 from Hexham since then)

If it was one of the Enviro 300s, did you sit at the back? From what i can remember, the seats at the very back are just a not very thick cushion on plastic.
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Cheers. Stagecoach are a complete mystery to me because I've never had to rely on them. Last one I caught was a very uncomfortable 100 to the Metrocentre (parrot on my shoulder just "helpfully" Angel reminded me we've caught the 685 from Hexham since then)

Ah, we'll forgive you... Stagecoach's output on service 685 is operated by Cumbria & North Lancashire, rather than North East! Wink

Yes, the ADL Enviro300s on service 100 are built to facilitate as many passengers as possible. There's a huge lack of legroom because Stagecoach have cramped as many seats as possible in those vehicles. It's great when the ALX300s deputise for the ADL Enviro300s, as they're a bit more roomy.

I live in Sunderland, and I have to say that the gas buses are the best thing since sliced bread in terms of what Stagecoach has invested into. I would have liked to see double deckers in Sunderland as services 16 and 20 often have full loads (with services 3 and 13 not far behind), but the gas buses are (by and large) fit for purpose during the day. The gas buses are quiet, comfortable and offer free Wi-Fi. You know exactly what you're getting when you board one of those gas buses - and that's not from an enthusiast perspective either. They must be pretty damn good for the operator too, as Stagecoach regularly have spare gas buses after covering their PVR including vehicles VOR.
(05 Aug 2015, 7:37 pm)S813 FVK wrote If it was one of the Enviro 300s, did you sit at the back? From what i can remember, the seats at the very back are just a not very thick cushion on plastic.

Right in the middle. The seat backs were lumpy in all the wrong places and I felt like my face was dangerously close to the back of the seat in front.
(05 Aug 2015, 7:40 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Right in the middle. The seat backs were lumpy in all the wrong places and I felt like my face was dangerously close to the back of the seat in front.

I can only recall sitting in the middle once and i can't say i had any problems. Probably because i am not adult size yet but i always head for the back, mainly so i can have the best possible listen to the engine as its thrashed over the Redhegh Bridge etc.
(05 Aug 2015, 7:39 pm)Dan wrote Ah, we'll forgive you... Stagecoach's output on service 685 is operated by Cumbria & North Lancashire, rather than North East! Wink

Yes, the ADL Enviro300s on service 100 are built to facilitate as many passengers as possible. There's a huge lack of legroom because Stagecoach have cramped as many seats as possible in those vehicles. It's great when the ALX300s deputise for the ADL Enviro300s, as they're a bit more roomy.

I live in Sunderland, and I have to say that the gas buses are the best thing since sliced bread in terms of what Stagecoach has invested into. I would have liked to see double deckers in Sunderland as services 16 and 20 often have full loads (with services 3 and 13 not far behind), but the gas buses are (by and large) fit for purpose during the day. The gas buses are quiet, comfortable and offer free Wi-Fi. You know exactly what you're getting when you board one of those gas buses - and that's not from an enthusiast perspective either.

Which is why I mentally ignored it and got nagged for my pains. It was a completely different beast (with a guy sat behind us who had full command of the F word as a noun, verb and adjective, much to my son's disgust - he strongly Disapproves of swearing!)

The gas buses do look very smart from the outside and probably contribute to Sunderland smelling an awful lot nicer than 15-20 years ago.
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 7:45 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Which is why I mentally ignored it and got nagged for my pains. It was a completely different beast (with a guy sat behind us who had full command of the F word as a noun, verb and adjective, much to my son's disgust - he strongly Disapproves of swearing!)

The gas buses do look very smart from the outside and probably contribute to Sunderland smelling an awful  lot nicer than 15-20 years ago.

My biggest pet peeve about the gas buses is that the tagline is "check out our new ride - it's a gas!"

They're not particularly new now!
(05 Aug 2015, 7:42 pm)S813 FVK wrote I can only recall sitting in the middle once and i can't say i had any problems. Probably because i am not adult size yet but i always head for the back, mainly so i can have the best possible listen to the engine as its thrashed over the Redhegh Bridge etc.

I do have chronic back problems and poor core stability, so that makes me quite sensitive to badly upholstered seating. I get thrown all over the place because I can't hold myself steady very easily and end up with a lot of neck pain from having to hold the seat in front. Not fun.
(05 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Yep loads, though I got a headache trying to navigate the stagecoach website and scrutinise a tiny map to work it all out. There seems to be buses every few minutes from the North side of the Park.

From what I saw this afternoon, 3 and 4 definitely have gas buses.

We plan to take the 20/20A to get there and then get one of the gas buses, if possible, into Sunderland for a (probably much needed by then) wee and some lunch before taking off through the tunnel on the 9.

Hopefully you get a spare bus of some kind and not a purple Solar... Rolleyes
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote Hopefully you get a spare bus of some kind and not a purple Solar... Rolleyes

That one's definitely al about the tunnel, rather than the bus. It's a fair few years since we last went through and neither boy has any memory of it.
(05 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm)BusLoverMum wrote That one's definitely al about the tunnel, rather than the bus. It's a fair few years since we last went through and neither boy has any memory of it.

Knowing my luck I'll have 5165 like the last time I went to Sunderland. Hopefully a double decker will be allocated for you, makes it even better Smile
(05 Aug 2015, 9:12 pm)Tom wrote Knowing my luck I'll have 5165 like the last time I went to Sunderland. Hopefully a double decker will be allocated for you, makes it even better Smile
And knowing my luck 4992 or 5213 will turn up on the 20/20A again.
(05 Aug 2015, 9:17 pm)Jimmi wrote And knowing my luck 4992 or 5213 will turn up on the 20/20A again.

Haha yeah, normally like the Solars but the PB ones are horrible.
(05 Aug 2015, 9:18 pm)Tom wrote Haha yeah, normally like the Solars but the PB ones are horrible.
No idea what it is with the Price Bishops Solar's, all the ones I've seen recently, the backs of some of the seats are grey instead of blue and this is multiple seats on various PB Solar's.
(05 Aug 2015, 9:20 pm)Jimmi wrote No idea what it is with the Price Bishops Solar's, all the ones I've seen recently, the backs of some of the seats are grey instead of blue and this is multiple seats on various PB Solar's.

They can't be worse than 5161 or 5162 surely?
(05 Aug 2015, 9:17 pm)Jimmi wrote And knowing my luck 4992 or 5213 will turn up on the 20/20A again.
I was on 4991 or 2 the other day and noticed the grab rail on the back of a seat, held together with masking tape.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm)Andreos1 wrote I was on 4991 or 2 the other day and noticed the grab rail on the back of a seat, held together with masking tape.
Hate both of them, one of them was so bad I had to jump off at Houghton-le-Spring as it was that bad for rattles.
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm)Andreos1 wrote I was on 4991 or 2 the other day and noticed the grab rail on the back of a seat, held together with masking tape.

Doesn't narrow it down I'm afraid - the second-hand batch (4989 - 4992) are all of a similar condition inside - the backs of the seats are grey rather than blue, and the paint has come off the grab rails.

The newer examples (and original batch) of 5211 - 5217 are in a much better condition and by and large these are the best performers out of the Prince Bishops fleet. Some of the Highwayman examples are much more 'tired' than these.
(25 Aug 2015, 11:16 am)DanPicken wrote Do GNE serve Alpha and Thorntons.

Go North East's 19 service serves The Elephant Pub in Ashington, a fifteen minute walk from Boiler Road, where Thorntons yard is visible. An adult fare on Phoenix's service 30 between there and The Elephant is 60p, although if you walk - the 30 leaves Boiler Road at 15-20 past the hour, you can hail it there or a short walk to North Seaton Colliery and get on it from the bus stop. It's 80p to the bus station from there.

The 19 will drop you off at the Elephant for xx:25, walking to Boiler Road then finding the gap in the buses will take 15-20 minutes; xx:45. You have a choice of waiting for the 30 or going to the Northern Social Club and boarding an Arriva 35 or X20 to Ashington. If you're using the 19 to get back the departure from The Elephant is xx:35.

As for Alpha's scrapyard, it's kind of out of the way, Dan or someone who has used the bus to there can point you in the right direction.
(25 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Go North East's 19 service serves The Elephant Pub in Ashington, a fifteen minute walk from Boiler Road, where Thorntons yard is visible. An adult fare on Phoenix's service 30 between there and The Elephant is 60p, although if you walk - the 30 leaves Boiler Road at 15-20 past the hour, you can hail it there or a short walk to North Seaton Colliery and get on it from the bus stop. It's 80p to the bus station from there.

As for Alpha's scrapyard, it's kind of out of the way, Dan or someone who has used the bus to there can point you in the right direction.
Ok thanks Tommy.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 11:16 am)DanPicken wrote Do GNE serve Alpha and Thorntons.

As Tommy said above, "Cobalt Connect" service 19 would be your best bet to get to Thornton's on a Go North East service. However - if possible - I'd recommend using the more frequent 35 (not sure if the 35A stops here too or if it turns up South Side?) or X20 Arriva North East services. The 57 also stops at the location I've marked for the 35.

.png Thorntons.png

Go North East's service 17 is your best bet for Alpha - see map below. This is also the boundary point for POP card validity, so you could get here no problem (even on Arriva's service 52 which stops at the same place). From Alpha Recovery towards the bus stop marked in green, you could also turn right and continue up the road up to Burradon, catching an Arriva X4/X5 to Newcastle or a Go North East 353 to Newcastle Airport. I've done all of these options before - it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the bus stop for service 17 and a 10-15 minute walk to the bus stop for the X4/X5.

.png Alpha.png
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm)GX03 SVC wrote 35/35a uses South Side, either catch it on the top of Alexandra Road or Northern Social Club or opposite South Side. I use it every time I collect parcels from the delivery office.

Caught service 35 from both of the green stops marked on the map previously. It's six and two threes really, no massive difference.

[Image: 18173180713_ba7cff030c.jpg]Arriva North East: 1579 / NK64EEA by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 15906647212_e3c566ee17.jpg]Arriva North East: 1580 / NK64EEB by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
(25 Aug 2015, 6:54 pm)Dan wrote As Tommy said above, "Cobalt Connect" service 19 would be your best bet to get to Thornton's on a Go North East service. However - if possible - I'd recommend using the more frequent 35 (not sure if the 35A stops here too or if it turns up South Side?) or X20 Arriva North East services. The 57 also stops at the location I've marked for the 35.

Go North East's service 17 is your best bet for Alpha - see map below. This is also the boundary point for POP card validity, so you could get here no problem (even on Arriva's service 52 which stops at the same place). From Alpha Recovery towards the bus stop marked in green, you could also turn right and continue up the road up to Burradon, catching an Arriva X4/X5 to Newcastle or a Go North East 353 to Newcastle Airport. I've done all of these options before - it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the bus stop for service 17 and a 10-15 minute walk to the bus stop for the X4/X5.
Cant see the images as I'm on Tapatalk but is Thornton's in T&W may ditch Thornton's if its not sounds an arse to get to anyway.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm)DanPicken wrote Cant see the images as I'm on Tapatalk but is Thornton's in T&W may ditch Thornton's if its not sounds an arse to get to anyway.

No - it's near Ashington.
(25 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm)Dan wrote Caught service 35 from both of the green stops marked on the map previously. It's six and two threes really, no massive difference.

The routes changed in either March or May, they both serve North Seaton Demesne instead of turning down at the lights and stopping at the shops.

.jpg image.jpg