You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015
(05 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm)Malarkey wrote You wouldnt think 9108 has an 8 Litre Engine would you, honestly thought I was on a "Slightly More Powerful Streetlite" with a few less rattles, although saying that the Engine didnt even make that characteristic roar in which you would expect say from a B9TL/B10BLE, personally I would spend the "GNE New Vehicle Fund" on Quality (Citaros) over Quantity (Streetlites), in which case despite the hefty price tag I would purchase Mercedes Citaros for Heavyweight Single Deckers going forward.

Merc would be far too dear. E200MMC with Cummins 6.7 or Scania E300 with K series 9l would be the way forward.
(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman wrote I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.

I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular section. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.
(05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular sections. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.

My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.
(05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular sections. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.

I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I attended Blaydon West infant & juniors. I left in middle of Infants - when we moved to Sunniside where i attended Marley Hill School, but later returned to Blaydon West.

I lived in the Terraces around Mary Street and Tereasa Street, then Hole in the Wall, then Winlaton.

Wow.. that's going back a bit.

I can also remember kids hanging onto the back of the 641 - usually allocated a Leyland National - when it went up thru Birch Road and Sycamore Road... idiots! could of been killed!
(05 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm)BusLoverMum wrote My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.

Yea, the Atlantean's did have that strained whine....

They always seemed fast as a kid.. as the engine was screeching along Scotwood Road !! haha! Another gear is all it needed!
I used to do a lot of travelling around Tyne and Wear on buses as a kid, my Nanna used to take me out on a regular basis for bus rides. Mind you Tyne and Wear child fare was only 5p and then it rose to 10p per single journey.

I used to love sitting upstairs in the front seat above the driver, as I used to pretend I was the driver..... As a kid all I wanted to be when I grew up was..... a Bus Driver! As you get older your thoughts and ideas change, and I did not become a Bus Driver.... however I still hold that passion... so you never know maybe one day!
(05 Sep 2015, 11:01 pm)thetravelman wrote I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I attended Blaydon West infant & juniors. I left in middle of Infants - when we moved to Sunniside where i attended Marley Hill School, but later returned to Blaydon West.

I lived in the Terraces around Mary Street and Tereasa Street, then Hole in the Wall, then Winlaton.

Wow.. that's going back a bit.

I can also remember kids hanging onto the back of the 641 - usually allocated a Leyland National - when it went up thru Birch Road and Sycamore Road... idiots! could of been killed!

I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.
Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One wrote Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.
(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One wrote Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

When you posted that it was about 0300. It's now 0935.
Site Administrator
(03 Sep 2015, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote In other news, Go North East will be operating three Metro Replacement services this Sunday.

Metro Replacement 900 (Haymarket - Four Lane Ends via Regent Centre) and Metro Replacement 901 (Haymarket - Regent Centre) are to operate between 07:15am and 19:30pm. For these services, a total of 15 vehicles will be provided by Go North East from various depots:
  • Chester-le-Street - 6 vehicles
  • Deptford - 1 vehicle
  • Riverside - 3 vehicles
  • Stanley - 3 vehicles
  • Washington - 2 vehicles
Metro Replacement 902 (Sunderland - South Hylton) is to be operated until around 11:30am. Washington Depot are to supply vehicles for this service.

A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

"Red Arrows" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6003 (NK11 BHD) and 6049 (NK12 GDA) are the two on the 902 - think they're due to be joined by a third...
(06 Sep 2015, 8:39 am)Dan wrote A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

"Red Arrows" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6003 (NK11 BHD) and 6049 (NK12 GDA) are the two on the 902 - think they're due to be joined by a third...

Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 9:11 am)Michael wrote Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.

Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

The Sunderland - South Hylton one was only announced on Wednesday - and it was Friday by the time destinations were programmed. I'd imagine it would be even more time-consuming to get volunteers to work a rest day on Sunday morning.
(06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am)Dan wrote Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

The Sunderland - South Hylton one was only announced on Wednesday - and it was Friday by the time destinations were programmed. I'd imagine it would be even more time-consuming to get volunteers to work a rest day on Sunday morning.

Bloody hell, i think its Network Rail who has to take blame for that? or is it Metro...........  Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(06 Sep 2015, 8:07 am)Dan wrote While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.

Is that the update you were on about the other day?, linking the news to the fleet list so it's easier updated when a bus from each depot or something?

Can't remember the full details...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(05 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.
I used to live in Chudleigh Terrace, way back in late 40's !
(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman wrote I'm old enough to remember travelling on Northern and GoAhead Northern - Leyland Atlantean's as I was growing up!
In fact I'm sure when I left school in 1992 ! and got my first job in Newcastle, a Leyland Atlantean was still a regular vehicle allocated to my route into Newcastle from Blaydon, as well as the then popular MCW Metrobus - however although all buses were/are very slow to climb Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Bank etc, the MCW Metrobus were absolutely terrible, in fact I remember being on a scholar service climbing Blaydon Bank and the bus came to a stop, the driver could not get it to move away again without slipping backwards down the bank, in the end he had to get a lot of kids off the bus, including myself and get us to walk up the hill to where the Huntsman Pub is, so that he could lighten the load enough for the bus to pull away up hill again!

The Leyland Olympian's tended to be on 648 & 649 to Gateshead. I Like these vehicles too, I remember the bi-folding entrance doors used to fly open with a bit of a bang! when the driver pressed the button to Open.

I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.
Pretty sure there was a big swap of vehicle allocations - with Winlaton getting more Olympians at the expense of the Metrobuses.
The Olympians could certainly cope with the hills better.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am)Dan wrote Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

Thought it had 902 programmed in.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 9:40 am)DanPicken wrote Thought it had 902 programmed in.

It does - the bus you're on is showing 902 Metro Replacement (and I've got the photo as proof)..? Same goes for 6003 and 6006.

The reason why they are not showing South Hylton or Sunderland is simply because the drivers haven't bothered to scroll through the destinations - the first one in the list is a generic one and that screen should only be used in emergencies when there is not sufficient time to programme a destination and co-ordinate an upload to the vehicle.

All stations between South Hylton and Sunderland are programmed under 902.
(06 Sep 2015, 9:54 am)DaveyBowyer wrote On a Sunday, do GNE try and use 6049-6055 on the Red Arrows rather than 6001-6007?

Will this lead to a suggestion for E400MMCs for the X1?
(06 Sep 2015, 9:43 am)Dan wrote It does - the bus you're on is showing 902 Metro Replacement (and I've got the photo as proof)..? Same goes for 6003 and 6006.

The reason why they are not showing South Hylton or Sunderland is simply because the drivers haven't bothered to scroll through the destinations - the first one in the list is a generic one and that screen should only be used in emergencies when there is not sufficient time to programme a destination and co-ordinate an upload to the vehicle.

All stations between South Hylton and Sunderland are programmed under 902.

I meant before this week as Stagecoach have 900-909.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 9:57 am)DanPicken wrote I meant before this week as Stagecoach have 900-909.

Why have up to 909 when 900/901 are the only ones used on a regular basis and 902 is used once every year or two? Whoever does the destinations at Stagecoach must have too much time on their hands... Gateshead had a 902 to Heworth and Jarrow programmed, but I removed this as we were pushed for space in the programme.

I have informed the Service Delivery Manager in Park Lane that South Hylton, Park Lane and Sunderland are all programmed and as such this is what the drivers should be showing... Bit pointless now when there is 30 mins left, but y'know...
(06 Sep 2015, 10:01 am)Dan wrote Why have up to 909 when 900/901 are the only ones used on a regular basis and 902 is used once every year or two? Whoever does the destinations at Stagecoach must have too much time on their hands... Gateshead had a 902 to Heworth and Jarrow programmed, but I removed this as we were pushed for space in the programme.

I have informed the Service Delivery Manager in Park Lane that South Hylton, Park Lane and Sunderland are all programmed and as such this is what the drivers should be showing... Bit pointless now when there is 30 mins left, but y'know...

This is contractors though... anything could happen!

I'd bloody laugh if they had to extend the Metro replacement service because the electric decided that it didn't want to come back on...Tongue

Edit: What kind of work are they doing on the South Hylton - Sunderland stretch?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(06 Sep 2015, 9:57 am)DanPicken wrote I meant before this week as Stagecoach have 900-909.

The only MRP numbers that I'm aware of are 900, 901, X901 and 902. Even if the entire system was suspended the only numbers to be used are 900 Yellow/901 Green... 

Got zilch idea why SC have 900-909...
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 10:05 am)Michael wrote This is contractors though... anything could happen!

I'd bloody laugh if they had to extend the Metro replacement service because the electric decided that it didn't want to come back on...

True!

All the posters at Park Lane suggest that the Metros are only off between Park Lane and South Hylton - wonder who made that balls up! Metros terminating at Sunderland and bus replacement going to Fawcett Street...
(06 Sep 2015, 10:05 am)Michael wrote This is contractors though... anything could happen!

I'd bloody laugh if they had to extend the Metro replacement service because the electric decided that it didn't want to come back on...Tongue

Edit: What kind of work are they doing on the South Hylton - Sunderland stretch?

Network Rail too, they'll discover that the track isn't fit for purpose and then they'll have to lift it all  Tongue

Kind of work? Very essential maintenance.  Wink
(06 Sep 2015, 10:08 am)Dan wrote True!

All the posters at Park Lane suggest that the Metros are only off between Park Lane and South Hylton - wonder who made that balls up! Metros terminating at Sunderland and bus replacement going to Fawcett Street...

Its hard to think... honestly who could of it being?  Angel

They need to work out a better system for metro replacement... i don't think the last minute communication of that GNE will run the 902 has went well...........
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 10:08 am)GX03 SVC wrote The only MRP numbers that I'm aware of are 900, 901, X901 and 902. Even if the entire system was suspended the only numbers to be used are 900 Yellow/901 Green... 

Got zilch idea why SC have 900-909...

I don't even understand the need for a 902. In my opinion, all replacements on the yellow line should be numbered 900 and all replacements on the green line should be numbered 901.

X901 was obviously slightly different and I get the need for a separate destination for that.