Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1174 175 176239 Next
LeeCalder

02 Sep 2015, 10:40 pm #3,481
On Saturday, I will be going to Sheffield.

The week after will be Edinburgh
LeeCalder
02 Sep 2015, 10:40 pm #3,481

On Saturday, I will be going to Sheffield.

The week after will be Edinburgh

03 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm #3,482
Will be publishing today's outing tomorrow. Journeys include A-line M12 and GCT 23.
omnicity4659
03 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm #3,482

Will be publishing today's outing tomorrow. Journeys include A-line M12 and GCT 23.

Jimmi

03 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm #3,483
A review for yesterday's outing.

1132 7 Newton Aycliffe - Ferryhill (ANE 1522)
Starting with Belmont based Sapphire 1522, not very often I actually ride the Belmont runs on the 7 so I don't really recognise most of the Belmont Sapphire drivers especially since the 22/24 joined the Sapphire brand. Typical Sapphire journey although the driver did not wait time at Woodham or Chilton so we ended up arriving at Ferryhill around 5 minutes early!

1218 7 Ferryhill - Durham (ANE 4651)
Running over 5 minutes late I got a shock to see MAX X66 branded Omnicity 4651 appear so I quickly ran across the road for a photo before jumping on. Annoyingly the only seat available without sitting next to someone was the seats behind the drivers cab which aren't as comfortable. Didn't perform too badly on this route especially as this one has taken some battering at Redcar/Whitby although I think this one got a new engine.

1251 X12 Durham - Birtley Front Street (ANE 1442)
Quite a nice Pulsar I thought this was, didn't seem to rattle at all. Was pretty standard journey on this route really so not a great deal to say.

1338 23 Birtley - Washington Galleries (JH Coaches KX59GOA)
This was my aim for today, to sample a Plaxton Primo as I have never been on one before so I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to ride one. Was surprised when I boarded to see that it didn't have Urban90's seats like most Primo's seem to do, instead it had some slightly more bulky fabric seats with seatbelts, I sat at the back and thought that the seats weren't massively comfortable but alright, perhaps the rest of the seats may be more comfortable. Thought the Primo was alright, it was not the best when going over speed humps but other than that I thought it performed alright and was comfortable enough, thought it sounded just like an Enviro 200. This is an interesting route, it seems to go round every side street. Not a very busy journey with there being me, two young lasses and a few OAPs on this journey.

1412 82 Washington - Birtley Front Street (GNE 8252)
Saw this just after jumping off the 23 and as this is due to be withdrawn any day now I'd thought I'd take a ride on this. Pretty uneventful journey as I spent half the journey figuring out where to jump off in Birtley.

Tried to get a photo of 8252 but sadly the 21 behind pulled out from behind the 82 and got in the way and was unable to get a photo which really angered me! Flagged down a X12 failing to realise it didn't stop there D'oh! so I ended up getting the 21.

1446 21 Birtley - Chester-le-Street (GNE 6039)
FFS! Everytime I get a 21 I get an old shed and when by some miracle I do actually get an Angel branded bus the WiFi often doesn't work. This has to be one of the worst Presidents I've ever been on, it rattled so much that it was unbearable so I made the decision to alight in Chester-le-Street...

1456 X22 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 3868)
...Thankfully this pulled in behind the 21 so I quickly went to get off the 21, don't know how but I managed to nearly fall down the stairs on 6039. Anyway, much preferred my ride on this, sounded much nicer and performed much better than 6039 and was more comfortable to.

1607 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)
Pretty standard journey on the 7, annoyingly couldn't get the WiFi to work when I first jumped on but was working when we got to Ferryhill.

Hope you enjoyed reading although the like button disappearing sadly means I have no idea if you enjoyed it or not unless you leave comments which is a shame really.
Edited 03 Sep 2015, 7:57 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
03 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm #3,483

A review for yesterday's outing.

1132 7 Newton Aycliffe - Ferryhill (ANE 1522)
Starting with Belmont based Sapphire 1522, not very often I actually ride the Belmont runs on the 7 so I don't really recognise most of the Belmont Sapphire drivers especially since the 22/24 joined the Sapphire brand. Typical Sapphire journey although the driver did not wait time at Woodham or Chilton so we ended up arriving at Ferryhill around 5 minutes early!

1218 7 Ferryhill - Durham (ANE 4651)
Running over 5 minutes late I got a shock to see MAX X66 branded Omnicity 4651 appear so I quickly ran across the road for a photo before jumping on. Annoyingly the only seat available without sitting next to someone was the seats behind the drivers cab which aren't as comfortable. Didn't perform too badly on this route especially as this one has taken some battering at Redcar/Whitby although I think this one got a new engine.

1251 X12 Durham - Birtley Front Street (ANE 1442)
Quite a nice Pulsar I thought this was, didn't seem to rattle at all. Was pretty standard journey on this route really so not a great deal to say.

1338 23 Birtley - Washington Galleries (JH Coaches KX59GOA)
This was my aim for today, to sample a Plaxton Primo as I have never been on one before so I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to ride one. Was surprised when I boarded to see that it didn't have Urban90's seats like most Primo's seem to do, instead it had some slightly more bulky fabric seats with seatbelts, I sat at the back and thought that the seats weren't massively comfortable but alright, perhaps the rest of the seats may be more comfortable. Thought the Primo was alright, it was not the best when going over speed humps but other than that I thought it performed alright and was comfortable enough, thought it sounded just like an Enviro 200. This is an interesting route, it seems to go round every side street. Not a very busy journey with there being me, two young lasses and a few OAPs on this journey.

1412 82 Washington - Birtley Front Street (GNE 8252)
Saw this just after jumping off the 23 and as this is due to be withdrawn any day now I'd thought I'd take a ride on this. Pretty uneventful journey as I spent half the journey figuring out where to jump off in Birtley.

Tried to get a photo of 8252 but sadly the 21 behind pulled out from behind the 82 and got in the way and was unable to get a photo which really angered me! Flagged down a X12 failing to realise it didn't stop there D'oh! so I ended up getting the 21.

1446 21 Birtley - Chester-le-Street (GNE 6039)
FFS! Everytime I get a 21 I get an old shed and when by some miracle I do actually get an Angel branded bus the WiFi often doesn't work. This has to be one of the worst Presidents I've ever been on, it rattled so much that it was unbearable so I made the decision to alight in Chester-le-Street...

1456 X22 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 3868)
...Thankfully this pulled in behind the 21 so I quickly went to get off the 21, don't know how but I managed to nearly fall down the stairs on 6039. Anyway, much preferred my ride on this, sounded much nicer and performed much better than 6039 and was more comfortable to.

1607 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)
Pretty standard journey on the 7, annoyingly couldn't get the WiFi to work when I first jumped on but was working when we got to Ferryhill.

Hope you enjoyed reading although the like button disappearing sadly means I have no idea if you enjoyed it or not unless you leave comments which is a shame really.

Charles41

05 Sep 2015, 9:31 am #3,484
Did you visit Kinglsey's at Portobello Jimmi?

I was up there the other week. They have lots of interesting deckers which they use on school contracts. They are OK about people looking around the main yard as long as they have a high viz. Jim Hughes' depot is close by and is well worth a look in.

I enjoyed the review.

Charles
Charles41
05 Sep 2015, 9:31 am #3,484

Did you visit Kinglsey's at Portobello Jimmi?

I was up there the other week. They have lots of interesting deckers which they use on school contracts. They are OK about people looking around the main yard as long as they have a high viz. Jim Hughes' depot is close by and is well worth a look in.

I enjoyed the review.

Charles

Jimmi

05 Sep 2015, 9:47 am #3,485
(05 Sep 2015, 9:31 am)Charles41 Did you visit Kinglsey's at Portobello Jimmi?

I enjoyed the review.

Charles

Thanks Charles

No, I didn't. Don't really tend to visit depots for photos.
Jimmi
05 Sep 2015, 9:47 am #3,485

(05 Sep 2015, 9:31 am)Charles41 Did you visit Kinglsey's at Portobello Jimmi?

I enjoyed the review.

Charles

Thanks Charles

No, I didn't. Don't really tend to visit depots for photos.

Jimmi

05 Sep 2015, 9:19 pm #3,486
I'm a bit short of time now with today's long outing and encountering problems with uploading to Flickr so I am not going to be able to find the time to do a proper review so I'll just give you a quick summery of today's outing.

0805 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1513)
0910 X24 Durham Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (ANE 7454)
1019 45 MetroCentre Bus Station - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 5412)
1047 40 Newcastle - Wallsend Interchange (SNE 12073)
1126 17 Wallsend Interchange - Killingworth Bus Station (GNE 4912)
1217 53 Killingworth Bus Station - Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops (ANE 4522)
1252 19 Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops - Ashington Bus Station (GNE 5244)
1356 35A Ashington Bus Station - Ashington College? (ANE 7470)
1439 35A Ashington College? - Ashington, Sports Direct (ANE 1579)
1458 X21 Ashington Bus Station - Regent Centre (ANE 7504)
1615ish 33 Regent Centre - Newcastle (Kingsley's MCV Evolution)
1742 X21 Newcastle - Durham Bus Station (GNE 6034)
1845 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)

The outing went fine until I tried to find Thornton's, which I pretty much failed at (idiot!) which led me to getting a bit nervous and light headed and I fell behind my plan with getting lost so I had to drop my original plan of heading to Blyth from Ashington although because the 35A left Ashington Bus Station late I probably would have had to do so anyway. The reason I had to scrap it for time as I wanted a shot of the PCL Travel service 808 which should leave Newcastle at 1655 although it actually left at 1652! (according to my phone) and I also intended of snapping Weardale Motor Services X21 to Stanhope although traffic caused me problems and then the camera didn't work how I wanted it to and I ended up with no photo which I was really not amused about. Tried to snap Sapphire 6 branded 1533 in Durham which again went wrong and to make matters worse I had to hide to take this photo as someone I know from school was in the chippy up the road.

So today started out well but the issues I had later in the day totally annoyed me and even caused me some distress.

Thanks for reading.
Jimmi
05 Sep 2015, 9:19 pm #3,486

I'm a bit short of time now with today's long outing and encountering problems with uploading to Flickr so I am not going to be able to find the time to do a proper review so I'll just give you a quick summery of today's outing.

0805 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1513)
0910 X24 Durham Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (ANE 7454)
1019 45 MetroCentre Bus Station - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station (GNE 5412)
1047 40 Newcastle - Wallsend Interchange (SNE 12073)
1126 17 Wallsend Interchange - Killingworth Bus Station (GNE 4912)
1217 53 Killingworth Bus Station - Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops (ANE 4522)
1252 19 Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops - Ashington Bus Station (GNE 5244)
1356 35A Ashington Bus Station - Ashington College? (ANE 7470)
1439 35A Ashington College? - Ashington, Sports Direct (ANE 1579)
1458 X21 Ashington Bus Station - Regent Centre (ANE 7504)
1615ish 33 Regent Centre - Newcastle (Kingsley's MCV Evolution)
1742 X21 Newcastle - Durham Bus Station (GNE 6034)
1845 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)

The outing went fine until I tried to find Thornton's, which I pretty much failed at (idiot!) which led me to getting a bit nervous and light headed and I fell behind my plan with getting lost so I had to drop my original plan of heading to Blyth from Ashington although because the 35A left Ashington Bus Station late I probably would have had to do so anyway. The reason I had to scrap it for time as I wanted a shot of the PCL Travel service 808 which should leave Newcastle at 1655 although it actually left at 1652! (according to my phone) and I also intended of snapping Weardale Motor Services X21 to Stanhope although traffic caused me problems and then the camera didn't work how I wanted it to and I ended up with no photo which I was really not amused about. Tried to snap Sapphire 6 branded 1533 in Durham which again went wrong and to make matters worse I had to hide to take this photo as someone I know from school was in the chippy up the road.

So today started out well but the issues I had later in the day totally annoyed me and even caused me some distress.

Thanks for reading.

Tom

05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm #3,487
Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

You got some nice pictures too on your outing.
Tom
05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm #3,487

Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

Jimmi

05 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm #3,488
(05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm)Tom Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

It did sound like a good outing on paper, would have been a better if I didn't have to be back in Newcastle to snap a photo of service 808. Guess I will have to try again with the X21 although next time I'll try and get a photo earlier in the day when there might be a bit less traffic.

Was so relieved for 4912 to turn up on the 17, especially as I haven't been on many Renown's recently other than a ex Oxford example.

More photos should be uploaded at some point soon, but not sure when now as I may go on this Leyland National thing tomorrow afternoon now.
Jimmi
05 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm #3,488

(05 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm)Tom Sounds like it would have been a decent trip if it wasn't for the issues with Thorntons! Lucky you got 4912 on the 17 instead of a dual door too.

It did sound like a good outing on paper, would have been a better if I didn't have to be back in Newcastle to snap a photo of service 808. Guess I will have to try again with the X21 although next time I'll try and get a photo earlier in the day when there might be a bit less traffic.

Was so relieved for 4912 to turn up on the 17, especially as I haven't been on many Renown's recently other than a ex Oxford example.

More photos should be uploaded at some point soon, but not sure when now as I may go on this Leyland National thing tomorrow afternoon now.

Tom

05 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm #3,489
(05 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm)Jimmi It did sound like a good outing on paper, would have been a better if I didn't have to be back in Newcastle to snap a photo of service 808. Guess I will have to try again with the X21 although next time I'll try and get a photo earlier in the day when there might be a bit less traffic.

I think the 808 is just a crappy minibus operated by PCL Travel now.
Tom
05 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm #3,489

(05 Sep 2015, 9:34 pm)Jimmi It did sound like a good outing on paper, would have been a better if I didn't have to be back in Newcastle to snap a photo of service 808. Guess I will have to try again with the X21 although next time I'll try and get a photo earlier in the day when there might be a bit less traffic.

I think the 808 is just a crappy minibus operated by PCL Travel now.

S813 FVK

05 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm #3,490

You didn't? Plenty more opportunities to photograph something.
S813 FVK
05 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm #3,490

You didn't? Plenty more opportunities to photograph something.

Jimmi

05 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm #3,491
(05 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm)Tom I think the 808 is just a crappy minibus operated by PCL Travel now.
Yeah, but was still nice to get a photo of it, especially as I can't see many other people getting photos of it, especially as it doesn't look like it's operating in passenger service.

If I really wanted to ride that, I would have ridden it when The Eden had it and was very briefly used on the Aycliffe Town Service 17.
Jimmi
05 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm #3,491

(05 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm)Tom I think the 808 is just a crappy minibus operated by PCL Travel now.
Yeah, but was still nice to get a photo of it, especially as I can't see many other people getting photos of it, especially as it doesn't look like it's operating in passenger service.

If I really wanted to ride that, I would have ridden it when The Eden had it and was very briefly used on the Aycliffe Town Service 17.

Jimmi

05 Sep 2015, 9:52 pm #3,492
(05 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm)S813 FVK You didn't? Plenty more opportunities to photograph something.
Yeah but the 808 only runs one journey to Newcastle on a morning and a return in the evening and the times it arrives/departs aren't really ideal so it made sense to do it today when I had a long outing planned.
Jimmi
05 Sep 2015, 9:52 pm #3,492

(05 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm)S813 FVK You didn't? Plenty more opportunities to photograph something.
Yeah but the 808 only runs one journey to Newcastle on a morning and a return in the evening and the times it arrives/departs aren't really ideal so it made sense to do it today when I had a long outing planned.

06 Sep 2015, 10:29 am #3,493
Seems like a great trip. You weren't missing much not going via Blyth...!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
06 Sep 2015, 10:29 am #3,493

Seems like a great trip. You weren't missing much not going via Blyth...!

Jimmi

06 Sep 2015, 10:34 am #3,494
(06 Sep 2015, 10:29 am)northern156 Seems like a great trip. You weren't missing much not going via Blyth...!
Nah, I got most of the stuff that serves Blyth in other places. The main aim was to get a photo of a Dart and I got 1314 in Ashington Bus Station. Could easily do Blyth another day.
Jimmi
06 Sep 2015, 10:34 am #3,494

(06 Sep 2015, 10:29 am)northern156 Seems like a great trip. You weren't missing much not going via Blyth...!
Nah, I got most of the stuff that serves Blyth in other places. The main aim was to get a photo of a Dart and I got 1314 in Ashington Bus Station. Could easily do Blyth another day.

Charles41

06 Sep 2015, 10:56 am #3,495
(05 Sep 2015, 9:52 pm)Jimmi Yeah but the 808 only runs one journey to Newcastle on a morning and a return in the evening and the times it arrives/departs aren't really ideal so it made sense to do it today when I had a long outing planned.

PCL use the same vehicle during the day on the other services that they took over from Snaiths. You'd catch it at Bellingham (Monday, Friday and Saturday) Hexham (on a Tuesday) and Morpeth (on a Wednesday).

Alternatively their depot is at Ryton at the back of the Galaxy Industrial Estate. Best bus to get is the No. 10 from Newcastle if anyone's thinking of visiting.

Charles
Charles41
06 Sep 2015, 10:56 am #3,495

(05 Sep 2015, 9:52 pm)Jimmi Yeah but the 808 only runs one journey to Newcastle on a morning and a return in the evening and the times it arrives/departs aren't really ideal so it made sense to do it today when I had a long outing planned.

PCL use the same vehicle during the day on the other services that they took over from Snaiths. You'd catch it at Bellingham (Monday, Friday and Saturday) Hexham (on a Tuesday) and Morpeth (on a Wednesday).

Alternatively their depot is at Ryton at the back of the Galaxy Industrial Estate. Best bus to get is the No. 10 from Newcastle if anyone's thinking of visiting.

Charles

06 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm #3,496
Yesterday, after getting to sleep at 0230, I decided I'd get a good 6 hours of kip in before having a bus trip as I haven't been on one for ages.
I was aiming for the 0850 685/85 from Haltwhistle to Newcastle and thankfully I made it.

685 0850 Haltwhistle to Throckley, Hexham Road - ANE 4664
I locked the car up at Haltwhistle and walked to the Market Place. I waited around five minutes for what I was hoping would be a Pulsar to Newcastle; however 4664 appeared. This was previously my favourite Jesmond Omnicity so I wasn't too fussed at first. (On a side note it appeared with Newcastle 85 on the blinds where it should be Haydon Bridge for Newcastle 685).
I sat on the offside quadrant where the emergency exit was so I could properly hear the engine; plus the outside seats here have small armrests on. I got to Bardon Mill and realised I had left my camera in the boot of my car - b*llocks! I thought about getting the next one back (which turned out to be 4662) however I saw no point in this as I'd just be even later setting out again.

I later realised that this bus was horrible to be on. The rattles it gave were horrendous (although not quite as bad as a few GNE Percy Main examples) and it generally didn't sound too good. Even at speed the road noise it was giving wasn't normal at all. This has now become my least favourite Omnicity...
Given it was a heap, I thought of alternative ways to get rid of it as soon as I could. Hexham was a possibility although I didn't fancy a 20min connection for another Scania so I looked at Throckley. I'm usually annoyed when all 85s go through Throckley (there's already perfectly ok bus services serving the village with Newcastle) however I bailed for either a 4min connection for a 22 or a 7 min connection for an X82. I noticed the inbound X82 pass the roundabout so hoped the 22 would appear sharp-ish!

22 1000 Throckley, Hexham Road to Newcastle, Market Street - SNE 19219
Along came a 'standard' E400 which I was rather pleased about so sat right at the front upstairs. My view was somewhat restricted with the partially transparent advertising on the top window at the front, something I'm not overly keen on on these Enviros. Not to worry. After stopping at all stops pretty much (and messaging Marcus who was waiting for me) I was soon by the banks of the Tyne. From here I think this is a gorgeous route scenery-wise, I would definitely do it again. Shame I had a driver who was too much of a wuss.

I met with Marcus who was waiting for me and we then walked up past Grey's Monument and up to Haymarket Bus Station (I think!) where we waited for my favourite Pulsar for me to go on, 1480. We observed 1482 and 1481 right next to each other but no 1480, bugger! We walked up to the island outside Haymarket where Marcus took some photos (grr) and I had a bit chat with Steven Hodgson and one of Arriva's drivers I'm good friends with. I then got bored and went to Eldon Square where there was nothing about - so as I drank my latte and ate my bacon and sausage baguette, I boarded an X1 in the aim of getting the same cracking Cadet I got in June.

X1 1125 Newcastle, Eldon Square to Washington Galleries - GNE 6049
I gave Marcus a wave before I headed off, informing him of a red Renown approaching on the 11. I assumed he went for this (which was later confirmed reading his review) and I soon got to Washington. I looked at the boards and there was an 85 due soon as well as an 82. The first one, the 85, was due in 5 mins from now so I went to the Galleries in search of something sweet. I did my fastest ever Poundland move (very conveniently placed I must say) and got a nutritious bag of Kitkat Pop Choc. I made it back to the bus station to see a President approaching on the 85. Very, very tempting this was but I remembered I was here for the Cadet. I waited and waited for the 82 to turn up... in its stand was a delayed 50 to South Shields (with a rather attractive driver) with a red Streetlite. Once it had left though the 82 turned up...

82 1207 Washington Galleries to Concord Bus Station - GNE 8254
RESULT! Although it wasn't the same one as last time (8262 - what a beast of a bus) it was still a Cadet. I was under the impression this was a service for Heworth or Birtley, however around 30 minutes later I arrived into Concord - oops! (Tip for next time, read the destination boards). Not to worry, this bus was rather good and sounded pretty healthy although there was a small kid shouting and screaming on "mam mam mam can we go to the swimming baths" and making a huge racket etc. Good job they got off, I was secretly hoping he'd trip and fall on something sharp. That or get run over by a car.
I alighted and a Fab56 turned up right behind, bound for Newcastle so I boarded this and sat right at the back on the top deck - something I rarely do.

56 ~1230 Concord Bus Station to Newcastle New Bridge Street - GNE 6096
I sat and had my scrumptious and healthy bag of chocolate biscuit things. It was an alright journey, the bus was about a quarter full through Wrekenton and the announcements were so quiet at the back that I could hear myself think for once! Passing through Wrekenton I noticed two Quaylink Q1/Q2 services passing at a set of lights, must do this bit of the route one day. I was soon crossing the Tyne and ended up at New Bridge Street where one person decided to stay on the bus....(!!??).
I then walked up to Haymarket Bus Station via M&S (the slowest....walk....ever....) and noticed that 1480 wasn't here but 4501 was, a Renown-bodied Volvo B10BLE. Naturally, I boarded.

54 1314 Newcastle Haymarket to Gosforth - ANE 4501
I messaged Marcus to inform/boast and then got this beast. There was only a handful of folk on and it was a rather tidy vehicle inside. We then waited outside Barras Bridge for around 5 minutes. I'd like to know which muppet decided it'd be a good idea to throw roadworks in, halving the capacity of the road here, as I would like to punch them. That or continuously mess with their perfect toaster setting for a year to make their life a nightmare.
This bus was alright at speed. Not the best but it handled it well; just a lack of character I guess. Soon got to Gosforth where I thought I'd get to Regent Centre then something back... wrong! I was on the 54 so turned right towards South Gosforth Metro station. I alighted and walked back to Gosforth and waited around 15 mins for the next bus. (I had just missed two).

Along came an Arriva MPD on the X14 to Newcastle; I sighed. I looked at my phone and as I looked back up I noticed an ALX300 turning the corner working an inbound 54 - what a save! A Q3 was right behind but I wasn't fussed as I hadn't had a go on an Arriva ALX300 for a while now.

54 1330 Gosforth to Newcastle Haymarket - ANE 4519
Coming back was alright. This service had about 5 people on; 3 others alighted at Gosforth as I boarded. I was soon stuck in the roadworks at Barras Bridge again. Got into Haymarket where I alighted and then walked to Eldon Square. At Eldon Square there was hardly anything around; I therefore waited and noticed a Lolyne arriving on the X25. This being a route I had never done before, and being 3878 - a bus Marcus had recommended to me, I boarded. Not sure where to mind but hey ho.

X25 1355 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Front Street - GNE 3878
I sat on the lower deck at the back to get the engine noise. Even ticking over, this thing was a beast! Soon away and we arrived at Gateshead and sat for four minutes as the 1405 off Gateshead. The thought occurred to me that I should alight here but it's hardly a decent trip for a bus with limited days left (from what I understand) and no certainty of bashing again any time soon. I lasted it out and used my Bus Checker app to see where it goes - through Wrekenton (for a third time today, lucky me) and down to Barley Mow and round the back of Birtley. Marcus gave me some great tips for where to alight (past a pub called the Wheatsheaf) but I couldn't be bothered with any connections and lasted it out to Chester where there was a driver change. I realised how lucky I was doing this route on this bus with the amount of Eclipses on other X25s. 3878 gave some cracking kickdowns (apart from one time going up a bank near Wrekenton where it was just on the limits of doing so but unfortunately didn't) and was a great runner too. The scenery was great as well, looking over the valley as I headed south!

Soon enough I ended up at Chester and crossed the road for some more food and a drink. Naturally I walked into Poundland; after just missing an Angel I thought I'd get the next one in 7 or 8 minutes time. I got a reduced Chicken and Bacon sandwich with those (imo highly overrated) Fish and Chips snacks. As I waited in the queue the downright thick staff member couldn't add up items (in a f###ing pound shop) and was generally being slow about scanning. I then walked over to another till where the woman had a face like a slapped arse. I also witnessed some other lovely people of Chester generally being uneducated thick bigots. I then got two bottles of water for a pound, where I watched an Angel pull away.
I sat down and quietly sobbed myself to sleep as I ate those horrible picked onion snack things. Another Angel turned up and I boarded that northbound. Won't be visiting this place soon, had enough of it again.

21 1454 Chester-le-Street Front Street to Newcastle Eldon Square - GNE 6062
This was an alright journey with 6062 not liking its batteries; a lot of standing starts were done with the diesel engine! Sat at the top deck front on the offside. Soon enough I was out of Birtley and in Gateshead. Crossed the Tyne and was zooming along the Central Motorway where my route knowledge failed me and I thought we were going to plough into the back of a Streetlite on the slip road below the Metro Radio offices! Luckily went on the underpass before going to New Bridge Street. I met one of my other friends in Newcastle and we decided to go to Wallsend. We waited for another mate to turn up before we boarded the 40 off Blackett Street.

40 1510 Newcastle Blackett Street to Wallsend Interchange - SNE 12067
With 12067 already being dud for haulage I wasn't very impressed. The route seemed to take forever past Byker too; however we got to Wallsend. My two mates went for a pint at the Wetherspoons. I would've joined but quite frankly wasn't in the mood to. I saw a North Tyne Links MPD running round so I boarded this little beast on the 80.

80 1620 Wallsend Interchange to Battle Hill, Bewick Drive - GNE 553
Already I could tell I was in for a great trip on this MPD. I was wanting to do the North Tyne Links for ages; seeing as the likes of the East Durham MPDs have been replaced and I thought these may be next. This was good although I hadn't a clue where I was going. After checking Bus Checker, I noticed the journey would take approx 45 minutes to North Shields - way too long! I was going to stick to North Shields but after passing Tyne Met College I recognised where I was; Battle Hill. I breathed a sigh of relief and crossed the road where I boarded a Newcastle-bound 310 to meet back up with my mate.

310 1635 Battle Hill, Bewick Drive to Newcastle St Mary's Place - GNE 6108
I could properly relax now I was in familiar territory on a Cobalt Clipper. This was a good journey; sat on the nearside rear wheel arch but then hit heavy traffic on Coast Road near the top of Jesmond. This soon sorted out and I bailed at St Mary's Place. I then went to the Metro and boarded the next one south.

TWM 1708 Haymarket to Monument - TWM 4001* 4040
To my sheer surprise, 4001 turned up  with 4040! If I wasn't meeting up I would've went to South Shields on this, absolute cracker of a set even though the doors weren't opening properly unaided. The original announcements, PIS screens, noises, everything was just great! Soon had to bail though at Monument...

100 1720 Newcastle Blackett Street to Metrocentre - SNE 22413
As per usual, 22413 was on 100 duties. After buying a doughnut from Greggs I boarded this beast and we went off to the Metrocentre. Quite a good example of an ALX300! Handed in a bag left by someone at the Metrocentre to the driver and then noticed a red Renown sitting on the 31 stand for Newcastle. Boarded....

31 1738 Metrocentre to Newcastle Eldon Square - GNE 4916
This Renown was a pretty good vehicle although I'm pretty accustomed to them now so I can't comment on anything mega nice about them. Observed two CrossCountry 221s passing each other on King Edward Bridge and was soon once again at Eldon Square.

TWM 130 1810 Monument to Haymarket - TWM 4040 4001*
I can't remember why we got the Metro to Haymarket but we did and to my shock it was the pair I was on earlier! Boarded 4001 and was on for 2 minutes before ending up back at Haymarket before walking to Eldon Square to head home.

85 1845 Newcastle Eldon Square to Hexham Bus Station - ANE 1413
My ANE driver mate was on this one so I decided to get this back home. 1413 is a brilliant vehicle; sat in the OAP bit on the offside. Soon got to Hexham for the required change of bus and operator to Carlisle.

685 1941 Hexham to Haltwhistle - Stagecoach in Carlisle 27141
27141 is the least-ridden E300 I have so was a nice surprise. We boarded and sat right at the back where one old bat gave me a funny look for something I said (I don't recall it being in any way rude/offensive). Stupid cow. Seen a man dressed as a Twix at a pub in Hexham. Near Melkridge there was a young lad who managed to spill his coffee all down the bus, what an utter muppet. His mother told him to tell the driver (couldn't have picked a worse time for it the idiot, going down narrow roads in dusk). I then managed to forget I parked my car in Haltwhistle, nearly being overcarried by the skin of my teeth! Got back to the car and drove home.

Thanks to Marcus (and my other two mates) for making this day great. Looking forward to October. Smile

northern156
06 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm #3,496

Yesterday, after getting to sleep at 0230, I decided I'd get a good 6 hours of kip in before having a bus trip as I haven't been on one for ages.
I was aiming for the 0850 685/85 from Haltwhistle to Newcastle and thankfully I made it.

685 0850 Haltwhistle to Throckley, Hexham Road - ANE 4664
I locked the car up at Haltwhistle and walked to the Market Place. I waited around five minutes for what I was hoping would be a Pulsar to Newcastle; however 4664 appeared. This was previously my favourite Jesmond Omnicity so I wasn't too fussed at first. (On a side note it appeared with Newcastle 85 on the blinds where it should be Haydon Bridge for Newcastle 685).
I sat on the offside quadrant where the emergency exit was so I could properly hear the engine; plus the outside seats here have small armrests on. I got to Bardon Mill and realised I had left my camera in the boot of my car - b*llocks! I thought about getting the next one back (which turned out to be 4662) however I saw no point in this as I'd just be even later setting out again.

I later realised that this bus was horrible to be on. The rattles it gave were horrendous (although not quite as bad as a few GNE Percy Main examples) and it generally didn't sound too good. Even at speed the road noise it was giving wasn't normal at all. This has now become my least favourite Omnicity...
Given it was a heap, I thought of alternative ways to get rid of it as soon as I could. Hexham was a possibility although I didn't fancy a 20min connection for another Scania so I looked at Throckley. I'm usually annoyed when all 85s go through Throckley (there's already perfectly ok bus services serving the village with Newcastle) however I bailed for either a 4min connection for a 22 or a 7 min connection for an X82. I noticed the inbound X82 pass the roundabout so hoped the 22 would appear sharp-ish!

22 1000 Throckley, Hexham Road to Newcastle, Market Street - SNE 19219
Along came a 'standard' E400 which I was rather pleased about so sat right at the front upstairs. My view was somewhat restricted with the partially transparent advertising on the top window at the front, something I'm not overly keen on on these Enviros. Not to worry. After stopping at all stops pretty much (and messaging Marcus who was waiting for me) I was soon by the banks of the Tyne. From here I think this is a gorgeous route scenery-wise, I would definitely do it again. Shame I had a driver who was too much of a wuss.

I met with Marcus who was waiting for me and we then walked up past Grey's Monument and up to Haymarket Bus Station (I think!) where we waited for my favourite Pulsar for me to go on, 1480. We observed 1482 and 1481 right next to each other but no 1480, bugger! We walked up to the island outside Haymarket where Marcus took some photos (grr) and I had a bit chat with Steven Hodgson and one of Arriva's drivers I'm good friends with. I then got bored and went to Eldon Square where there was nothing about - so as I drank my latte and ate my bacon and sausage baguette, I boarded an X1 in the aim of getting the same cracking Cadet I got in June.

X1 1125 Newcastle, Eldon Square to Washington Galleries - GNE 6049
I gave Marcus a wave before I headed off, informing him of a red Renown approaching on the 11. I assumed he went for this (which was later confirmed reading his review) and I soon got to Washington. I looked at the boards and there was an 85 due soon as well as an 82. The first one, the 85, was due in 5 mins from now so I went to the Galleries in search of something sweet. I did my fastest ever Poundland move (very conveniently placed I must say) and got a nutritious bag of Kitkat Pop Choc. I made it back to the bus station to see a President approaching on the 85. Very, very tempting this was but I remembered I was here for the Cadet. I waited and waited for the 82 to turn up... in its stand was a delayed 50 to South Shields (with a rather attractive driver) with a red Streetlite. Once it had left though the 82 turned up...

82 1207 Washington Galleries to Concord Bus Station - GNE 8254
RESULT! Although it wasn't the same one as last time (8262 - what a beast of a bus) it was still a Cadet. I was under the impression this was a service for Heworth or Birtley, however around 30 minutes later I arrived into Concord - oops! (Tip for next time, read the destination boards). Not to worry, this bus was rather good and sounded pretty healthy although there was a small kid shouting and screaming on "mam mam mam can we go to the swimming baths" and making a huge racket etc. Good job they got off, I was secretly hoping he'd trip and fall on something sharp. That or get run over by a car.
I alighted and a Fab56 turned up right behind, bound for Newcastle so I boarded this and sat right at the back on the top deck - something I rarely do.

56 ~1230 Concord Bus Station to Newcastle New Bridge Street - GNE 6096
I sat and had my scrumptious and healthy bag of chocolate biscuit things. It was an alright journey, the bus was about a quarter full through Wrekenton and the announcements were so quiet at the back that I could hear myself think for once! Passing through Wrekenton I noticed two Quaylink Q1/Q2 services passing at a set of lights, must do this bit of the route one day. I was soon crossing the Tyne and ended up at New Bridge Street where one person decided to stay on the bus....(!!??).
I then walked up to Haymarket Bus Station via M&S (the slowest....walk....ever....) and noticed that 1480 wasn't here but 4501 was, a Renown-bodied Volvo B10BLE. Naturally, I boarded.

54 1314 Newcastle Haymarket to Gosforth - ANE 4501
I messaged Marcus to inform/boast and then got this beast. There was only a handful of folk on and it was a rather tidy vehicle inside. We then waited outside Barras Bridge for around 5 minutes. I'd like to know which muppet decided it'd be a good idea to throw roadworks in, halving the capacity of the road here, as I would like to punch them. That or continuously mess with their perfect toaster setting for a year to make their life a nightmare.
This bus was alright at speed. Not the best but it handled it well; just a lack of character I guess. Soon got to Gosforth where I thought I'd get to Regent Centre then something back... wrong! I was on the 54 so turned right towards South Gosforth Metro station. I alighted and walked back to Gosforth and waited around 15 mins for the next bus. (I had just missed two).

Along came an Arriva MPD on the X14 to Newcastle; I sighed. I looked at my phone and as I looked back up I noticed an ALX300 turning the corner working an inbound 54 - what a save! A Q3 was right behind but I wasn't fussed as I hadn't had a go on an Arriva ALX300 for a while now.

54 1330 Gosforth to Newcastle Haymarket - ANE 4519
Coming back was alright. This service had about 5 people on; 3 others alighted at Gosforth as I boarded. I was soon stuck in the roadworks at Barras Bridge again. Got into Haymarket where I alighted and then walked to Eldon Square. At Eldon Square there was hardly anything around; I therefore waited and noticed a Lolyne arriving on the X25. This being a route I had never done before, and being 3878 - a bus Marcus had recommended to me, I boarded. Not sure where to mind but hey ho.

X25 1355 Newcastle Eldon Square to Chester-le-Street Front Street - GNE 3878
I sat on the lower deck at the back to get the engine noise. Even ticking over, this thing was a beast! Soon away and we arrived at Gateshead and sat for four minutes as the 1405 off Gateshead. The thought occurred to me that I should alight here but it's hardly a decent trip for a bus with limited days left (from what I understand) and no certainty of bashing again any time soon. I lasted it out and used my Bus Checker app to see where it goes - through Wrekenton (for a third time today, lucky me) and down to Barley Mow and round the back of Birtley. Marcus gave me some great tips for where to alight (past a pub called the Wheatsheaf) but I couldn't be bothered with any connections and lasted it out to Chester where there was a driver change. I realised how lucky I was doing this route on this bus with the amount of Eclipses on other X25s. 3878 gave some cracking kickdowns (apart from one time going up a bank near Wrekenton where it was just on the limits of doing so but unfortunately didn't) and was a great runner too. The scenery was great as well, looking over the valley as I headed south!

Soon enough I ended up at Chester and crossed the road for some more food and a drink. Naturally I walked into Poundland; after just missing an Angel I thought I'd get the next one in 7 or 8 minutes time. I got a reduced Chicken and Bacon sandwich with those (imo highly overrated) Fish and Chips snacks. As I waited in the queue the downright thick staff member couldn't add up items (in a f###ing pound shop) and was generally being slow about scanning. I then walked over to another till where the woman had a face like a slapped arse. I also witnessed some other lovely people of Chester generally being uneducated thick bigots. I then got two bottles of water for a pound, where I watched an Angel pull away.
I sat down and quietly sobbed myself to sleep as I ate those horrible picked onion snack things. Another Angel turned up and I boarded that northbound. Won't be visiting this place soon, had enough of it again.

21 1454 Chester-le-Street Front Street to Newcastle Eldon Square - GNE 6062
This was an alright journey with 6062 not liking its batteries; a lot of standing starts were done with the diesel engine! Sat at the top deck front on the offside. Soon enough I was out of Birtley and in Gateshead. Crossed the Tyne and was zooming along the Central Motorway where my route knowledge failed me and I thought we were going to plough into the back of a Streetlite on the slip road below the Metro Radio offices! Luckily went on the underpass before going to New Bridge Street. I met one of my other friends in Newcastle and we decided to go to Wallsend. We waited for another mate to turn up before we boarded the 40 off Blackett Street.

40 1510 Newcastle Blackett Street to Wallsend Interchange - SNE 12067
With 12067 already being dud for haulage I wasn't very impressed. The route seemed to take forever past Byker too; however we got to Wallsend. My two mates went for a pint at the Wetherspoons. I would've joined but quite frankly wasn't in the mood to. I saw a North Tyne Links MPD running round so I boarded this little beast on the 80.

80 1620 Wallsend Interchange to Battle Hill, Bewick Drive - GNE 553
Already I could tell I was in for a great trip on this MPD. I was wanting to do the North Tyne Links for ages; seeing as the likes of the East Durham MPDs have been replaced and I thought these may be next. This was good although I hadn't a clue where I was going. After checking Bus Checker, I noticed the journey would take approx 45 minutes to North Shields - way too long! I was going to stick to North Shields but after passing Tyne Met College I recognised where I was; Battle Hill. I breathed a sigh of relief and crossed the road where I boarded a Newcastle-bound 310 to meet back up with my mate.

310 1635 Battle Hill, Bewick Drive to Newcastle St Mary's Place - GNE 6108
I could properly relax now I was in familiar territory on a Cobalt Clipper. This was a good journey; sat on the nearside rear wheel arch but then hit heavy traffic on Coast Road near the top of Jesmond. This soon sorted out and I bailed at St Mary's Place. I then went to the Metro and boarded the next one south.

TWM 1708 Haymarket to Monument - TWM 4001* 4040
To my sheer surprise, 4001 turned up  with 4040! If I wasn't meeting up I would've went to South Shields on this, absolute cracker of a set even though the doors weren't opening properly unaided. The original announcements, PIS screens, noises, everything was just great! Soon had to bail though at Monument...

100 1720 Newcastle Blackett Street to Metrocentre - SNE 22413
As per usual, 22413 was on 100 duties. After buying a doughnut from Greggs I boarded this beast and we went off to the Metrocentre. Quite a good example of an ALX300! Handed in a bag left by someone at the Metrocentre to the driver and then noticed a red Renown sitting on the 31 stand for Newcastle. Boarded....

31 1738 Metrocentre to Newcastle Eldon Square - GNE 4916
This Renown was a pretty good vehicle although I'm pretty accustomed to them now so I can't comment on anything mega nice about them. Observed two CrossCountry 221s passing each other on King Edward Bridge and was soon once again at Eldon Square.

TWM 130 1810 Monument to Haymarket - TWM 4040 4001*
I can't remember why we got the Metro to Haymarket but we did and to my shock it was the pair I was on earlier! Boarded 4001 and was on for 2 minutes before ending up back at Haymarket before walking to Eldon Square to head home.

85 1845 Newcastle Eldon Square to Hexham Bus Station - ANE 1413
My ANE driver mate was on this one so I decided to get this back home. 1413 is a brilliant vehicle; sat in the OAP bit on the offside. Soon got to Hexham for the required change of bus and operator to Carlisle.

685 1941 Hexham to Haltwhistle - Stagecoach in Carlisle 27141
27141 is the least-ridden E300 I have so was a nice surprise. We boarded and sat right at the back where one old bat gave me a funny look for something I said (I don't recall it being in any way rude/offensive). Stupid cow. Seen a man dressed as a Twix at a pub in Hexham. Near Melkridge there was a young lad who managed to spill his coffee all down the bus, what an utter muppet. His mother told him to tell the driver (couldn't have picked a worse time for it the idiot, going down narrow roads in dusk). I then managed to forget I parked my car in Haltwhistle, nearly being overcarried by the skin of my teeth! Got back to the car and drove home.

Thanks to Marcus (and my other two mates) for making this day great. Looking forward to October. Smile

Jimmi

06 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm #3,497
(06 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm)northern156 40 1510 Newcastle Blackett Street to Wallsend Interchange - SNE 12067
With 12067 already being dud for haulage I wasn't very impressed. The route seemed to take forever past Byker too; however we got to Wallsend.
I felt the same when I did the 40 from Newcastle to Wallsend yesterday, I think my journey was supposed to arrive at 1108 and ended up arriving over 5 minutes late and it's not like we even picked up a large amount of passengers either although we did have a driver changeover and the journey dragged like hell. Also 12073 which I had was filthy, floor looked an absolute mess and I was sat the back and there was loads of empty cans of Foster's shoved behind the seats.

Anyway, great review Sean Smile
Edited 06 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
06 Sep 2015, 7:29 pm #3,497

(06 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm)northern156 40 1510 Newcastle Blackett Street to Wallsend Interchange - SNE 12067
With 12067 already being dud for haulage I wasn't very impressed. The route seemed to take forever past Byker too; however we got to Wallsend.
I felt the same when I did the 40 from Newcastle to Wallsend yesterday, I think my journey was supposed to arrive at 1108 and ended up arriving over 5 minutes late and it's not like we even picked up a large amount of passengers either although we did have a driver changeover and the journey dragged like hell. Also 12073 which I had was filthy, floor looked an absolute mess and I was sat the back and there was loads of empty cans of Foster's shoved behind the seats.

Anyway, great review Sean Smile

Tom

06 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm #3,498
Yeah the 12 and 40 take forever between Wallsend and Newcastle, the 1 is the fastest, and the 22 isn't far behind. Go through nicer areas too.
Tom
06 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm #3,498

Yeah the 12 and 40 take forever between Wallsend and Newcastle, the 1 is the fastest, and the 22 isn't far behind. Go through nicer areas too.

06 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm #3,499
Cheers Jimmi!

I do agree. Don't mind Walker much. Favourite part of the route is the bridge between Newcastle and Byker with the Metro and ECML running parallel; gorgeous bit of road!

northern156
06 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm #3,499

Cheers Jimmi!

I do agree. Don't mind Walker much. Favourite part of the route is the bridge between Newcastle and Byker with the Metro and ECML running parallel; gorgeous bit of road!

Jimmi

06 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm #3,500
(06 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm)Tom Yeah the 12 and 40 take forever between Wallsend and Newcastle, the 1 is the fastest, and the 22 isn't far behind. Go through nicer areas too.
Will do either the 1 or 22 if I was to go to Wallsend again, chose the 40 as I've not been on a Hybrid Enviro 400 before.
(06 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm)northern156 I do agree. Don't mind Walker much. Favourite part of the route is the bridge between Newcastle and Byker with the Metro and ECML running parallel; gorgeous bit of road!
That was probably my favourite part of the route, when I went over I just thought that "The Cluny is down there" the rest of the route is pretty much just council estates which isn't exactly interesting.
Jimmi
06 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm #3,500

(06 Sep 2015, 7:43 pm)Tom Yeah the 12 and 40 take forever between Wallsend and Newcastle, the 1 is the fastest, and the 22 isn't far behind. Go through nicer areas too.
Will do either the 1 or 22 if I was to go to Wallsend again, chose the 40 as I've not been on a Hybrid Enviro 400 before.
(06 Sep 2015, 7:45 pm)northern156 I do agree. Don't mind Walker much. Favourite part of the route is the bridge between Newcastle and Byker with the Metro and ECML running parallel; gorgeous bit of road!
That was probably my favourite part of the route, when I went over I just thought that "The Cluny is down there" the rest of the route is pretty much just council estates which isn't exactly interesting.

Pages (239) Previous 1174 175 176239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average