You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015
(06 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm)DanPicken wrote Will the same be done for flipdots?

Yes - they show "METRO" on the top line if my memory serves, as "Metro Replacement" with a route number doesn't fit if you want it in a large font.

Will try and get a photo of the destination next time I'm on a bus with flipdot displays (if I remember), if you'd like me to.

(06 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm)R852 PRG wrote Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the company were trying to phase out flipdot displays in favour of LEDs?

We are, and we have around 30 front LED destinations in circulation following the withdrawal of a large number of vehicles over the past few months. Without consulting my list, I think we have enough now to get rid of all front flipdot displays on all vehicles excluding Olympians and Lolynes.

We have fewer side and rear displays going spare (as demonstrated by the fact we had to give the OmniDekkas rear displays for their sides), but it's the front most people notice!
(06 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm)park5354 wrote 5163 now withdrawn, with T/M base plate removed.  All non reburbished examples are w/d.

Dan reported it yesterday, it was withdrawn last Thursday night.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(06 Sep 2015, 9:33 pm)S813 FVK wrote 6028 also made it onto service 902 today - again showing the generic destination:

[Image: 21207728881_a58c590017.jpg]Go North East 6028 V228LGC by Sean Blair, on Flickr

That looks like Regent Centre to me - on the 900, showing the generic destination...

Every station is programmed for the 900 and 901 so there's no real use for a generic destination. I will end up removing the generic ones at this rate, as it seems some drivers aren't going to bother scrolling through the stations to get to the right one...
(07 Sep 2015, 5:48 am)Dan wrote That looks like Regent Centre to me - on the 900, showing the generic destination...

Every station is programmed for the 900 and 901 so there's no real use for a generic destination. I will end up removing the generic ones at this rate, as it seems some drivers aren't going to bother scrolling through the stations to get to the right one...

So it is haha! Looked like the last didgit was a 2 when i first glanced.
Site Administrator
Fleet News from Go North East's website:

3874 Percy Main to Stanley
7080 Driver Training to Hexham

It wasn't noted in Go North East's Fleet News, but Chester-le-Street's recently withdrawn Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3879 (W189 SCU) - which never came out of service in reality - has been reinstated at Stanley Depot whilst on temporary loan.
(07 Sep 2015, 5:48 am)Dan wrote That looks like Regent Centre to me - on the 900, showing the generic destination...

Surely its up to depot management to pass on which destination should be displayed. As a driver if you operate, say the 900 then you enter that number, and unless you are told there's additional destinations as opposed to just metro replacement then thats what will stay on the front.
(07 Sep 2015, 8:25 am)Dan wrote Fleet News from Go North East's website:

It wasn't noted in Go North East's Fleet News, but Chester-le-Street's recently withdrawn Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3879 (W189 SCU) - which never came out of service in reality - has been reinstated at Stanley Depot whilst on temporary loan.

Also just to add:

Mercedes Citaros at Stanley are being re-painted blue (the same shade as Connections 4) for a re-branding of the Diamond service. - Although we know this already Tongue

Also after months, they finally have the same shade for all the Prince Bishop Solar's on the PDF! But still have the gold Citaro's down as Laser (expect for 5203)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Sep 2015, 8:57 am)nk55 wrote Surely its up to depot management to pass on which destination should be displayed. As a driver if you operate, say the 900 then you enter that number, and unless you are told there's additional destinations as opposed to just metro replacement then thats what will stay on the front.
Bring back roller blinds!
They might have tangled and slipped, but life seemed
an awful lot easier!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
547 passed through Billingham via the X9 route about an hour ago complete wih passengers on it - any ideas?
(07 Sep 2015, 9:34 am)Kuyoyo wrote 547 passed through Billingham via the X9 route about an hour ago complete wih passengers on it - any ideas?

9119's already broke down? Wink
London specifies traditional destination blinds, which are much clearer ( often automatically controlled) and now doesn't require via points which can be found on bus stops. If we're going to be subjected to QCS perhaps Nexus would follow London's lead on destinations. I've always thought scrolling via points unnecessary, especially when there's lots of them and if the bus's branding has them more clearly displayed, but the vast majority of passengers know where their bus is going, and Nexus's bus stop information is more than adequate to enable anyone else to find their bus number and route.
Site Administrator
(07 Sep 2015, 9:34 am)Kuyoyo wrote 547 passed through Billingham via the X9 route about an hour ago complete wih passengers on it - any ideas?

Yes - we are operating a free ASDA shuttle bus service between Stockton and Billingham for the next few weeks, and this is the reason why 547 has been retained in the fleet at Peterlee beyond the Millburngate Roadworks.
(07 Sep 2015, 10:41 am)Dan wrote Yes - we are operating a free ASDA shuttle bus service between Stockton and Billingham for the next few weeks, and this is the reason why 547 has been retained in the fleet at Peterlee beyond the Millburngate Roadworks.

Any idea on a timetable? I'm in Billingham on a course Monday-Wednesday for the next two weeks and it'll give me something to photo at lunchtime.
Red 3941 on TEN towards Newcastle through Corbridge @ 12:35.

This is probably a planned 'spare' rather than a 'Rare and Odd Working'.
Site Administrator
Hello folks - I'm after a favour...

I past 5316 earlier and the colour route number section of the destination display was playing up, and I wasn't able to get a photograph as I was passing in the car. If any of you are out and about taking photos, could you please get a shot of it and send the photo to me, so I can ask Hanover to come out and fix the problem? It's on the following journeys:
- 1526 #27 (South Shields to Newcastle)
- 1647 #27 (Newcastle to South Shields)
- 1804 #27 (South Shields to Newcastle)

Thanks!
(07 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm)Dan wrote Hello folks - I'm after a favour...

I past 5316 earlier and the colour route number section of the destination display was playing up

Now you mention that, I think I saw the colour destination playing up on one of the Angel B5's on Saturday although I was unable to identify which example as I was trying to get it to pass me to catch the X21 following behind.

Think I also saw 4978 on the 10A and the screen was flickering on/off constantly as it went along Percy Street.
Site Administrator
(07 Sep 2015, 6:12 pm)DavidSBrough wrote Hi does anyone have any information on the National Express service changes?

From 31st October, the seasonal Skegness service will cease to run until next summer.
Seeing aureolins comment on the 20, has reminded me about 5215 and comments in this thread relating to vehicle defects.

I will keep it short and sweet (so it can't be classed as a 'tirade') Angel.

Not sure if it was to do with the vibrations on the vehicle or the cracked plastic internal body work, but a rocker switch had worked loose just by the door/door release buttons.
(07 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm)Andreos1 wrote Seeing aureolins comment on the 20, has reminded me about 5215 and comments in this thread relating to vehicle defects.

Not sure if it was to do with the vibrations on the vehicle or the cracked plastic internal body work, but a rocker switch had worked loose just by the door/door release buttons.

I noticed this the other day, if we're talking about the same thing? It's where the emergency ramp control switch used to be. I think 5215 has been converted to a manual ramp, but rather than either leaving the button there or put a blanking plate in, it's just got the wires dangling out?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(07 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm)aureolin wrote I noticed this the other day, if we're talking about the same thing? It's where the emergency ramp control switch used to be. I think 5215 has been converted to a manual ramp, but rather than either leaving the button there or put a blanking plate in, it's just got the wires dangling out?

Sounds like the same thing.
The wires are hanging loose, exposed from the plastic - with the rocker still attached.

I haven't been on 5215 for a while, so can't comment on how long it has been like that.
(07 Sep 2015, 1:56 pm)Dan wrote Hello folks - I'm after a favour...

I past 5316 earlier and the colour route number section of the destination display was playing up, and I wasn't able to get a photograph as I was passing in the car. If any of you are out and about taking photos, could you please get a shot of it and send the photo to me, so I can ask Hanover to come out and fix the problem? It's on the following journeys:
- 1526 #27 (South Shields to Newcastle)
- 1647 #27 (Newcastle to South Shields)
- 1804 #27 (South Shields to Newcastle)

Thanks!

Hi Dan. If this is reg BJ10 VUN then it was the same yesterday. I got on at Bede at 0603 and no number was displayed. Thought it was strange but seeing as it was just a short journey That was terminating in Heworth it may have been that way for a reaSon. Didn't get a photo though. Sorry
Site Administrator
(07 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm)Andreos1 wrote Seeing aureolins comment on the 20, has reminded me about 5215 and comments in this thread relating to vehicle defects.

If you are concerned, e-mail Customer Services. I'm afraid posting it here will achieve very little; unlike destination issues (which I've recently asked for help with), it's not something we get involved with.
Site Administrator
(07 Sep 2015, 9:45 pm)ifm001 wrote Hi Dan. If this is reg BJ10 VUN then it was the same yesterday. I got on at Bede at 0603 and no number was displayed. Thought it was strange but seeing as it was just a short journey That was terminating in Heworth it may have been that way for a reaSon. Didn't get a photo though. Sorry

Thanks ifm001 - 5316 is one from the 08-reg batch, but I will check both when I am next at Riverside if nobody is able to provide photos for me before then.
(07 Sep 2015, 8:25 am)Dan wrote Fleet News from Go North East's website:

I've noticed all tridents end up at Stanley to see more use I also notice the majority is either at Stanley or Chester-le-Street now and not many at Percy Main
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out