You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

LNER (Formerly Virgin Trains East Coast & East Coast)

LNER (Formerly Virgin Trains East Coast & East Coast)

RE: East Coast / Virgin Trains East Coast
(30 May 2015, 1:20 pm)Davie wrote Does anybody know if the East Midlands HST is still on hire to Virgin trains East Coast?

The VTEC Ops Timetable has NL65 diagrams as follows;

Mondays to Fridays
1A12 0700 Hull to London KX
1D11 1105 London KX to Leeds
1A33 1345 Leeds to London KX
1H10 1719 London KX to Hull

Saturdays
Spare at Neville Hill depot (can be allocated to other diagrams)

Sundays
1A41 1645 Leeds to London KX 
1D31 2005 London KX to Leeds
(15 Jul 2015, 10:08 am)GX03 SVC wrote The VTEC Ops Timetable has NL65 diagrams as follows;

Mondays to Fridays
1A12 0700 Hull to London KX
1D11 1105 London KX to Leeds
1A33 1345 Leeds to London KX
1H10 1719 London KX to Hull

Saturdays
Spare at Neville Hill depot (can be allocated to other diagrams)

Sundays
1A41 1645 Leeds to London KX 
1D31 2005 London KX to Leeds

The EMT HST set will only be allocated to diagram that start and finish at Neville Hill TMD as stated above in GX03SVCs post, As that's were all EMT HSTs are stabled and maintained for the night. It will only be allocated to another diagram finishing in for example Heaton for the night in emergency's and if this happens the set will more than likely form a emergency ECS back to Neville Hill through the night so it can start back on NL65 the next morning.
So if spotted north of Doncaster or York this will be a very rare appearance.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
43300 and 43313 have received Virgin Trains East Coast branding. 43300 has lost its Craigentinny 100 vinyls but retains the nameplates.

43208 has entered service in a grey basecoat with interim Virgin vinyls. This locomotive was in NXEC livery. 43320 is to follow.
Planned Tyne Valley Diversions 

Virgin Trains East Coast services will be diverted along the Tyne Valley line on the following dates;
Saturday 14th November 
Saturday 21st November
Saturday 28th November
Saturday 5th December

Switches and Crossing Renewals, Track Renewals and Signalling Renewals between Newcastle and Edinburgh on Saturdays and Sundays 14/15/21/22/28/29 November and 5/6 December between 0025 Saturday and 0900 Sunday.

Throughout Saturday, trains will be diverted via Carlisle. A revised timetable will be in operation.
(09 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Planned Tyne Valley Diversions 

Virgin Trains East Coast services will be diverted along the Tyne Valley line on the following dates;
Saturday 14th November 
Saturday 21st November
Saturday 28th November
Saturday 5th December

Switches and Crossing Renewals, Track Renewals and Signalling Renewals between Newcastle and Edinburgh on Saturdays and Sundays 14/15/21/22/28/29 November and 5/6 December between 0025 Saturday and 0900 Sunday.

Throughout Saturday, trains will be diverted via Carlisle. A revised timetable will be in operation.

I'm going to Metrocentre on those days then.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(09 Aug 2015, 5:31 pm)danpick wrote I'm going to Metrocentre on those days then.

In your diary already? Tongue
Seem to get later every year! Thanks for the heads-up. For any folk wondering there should be a light engine Class 67 on route refresher duties several weekends beforehand, usually on Sundays. Return from Newcastle to Carlisle.

May have to get a trip booked on the Highland Chieftain from York to Edinburgh/Perth!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Good chance to get some of the many coaches involved at Central too... Usually Durham City, Lee's of Durham, Stanley etc

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Just to inform people, I've received an email stating the Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale is now on. Must book by Friday 28th August, for travel between Saturday 5th September and Friday 13th November.

London to Leeds/York - £10 standard and £25 first class, one way.
London to Newcastle - £15 standard and £35 first class, one way.
London to Edinburgh - £25 standard and £40 first class, one way.
(26 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm)R852 PRG wrote Just to inform people, I've received an email stating the Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale is now on. Must book by Friday 28th August, for travel between Saturday 5th September and Friday 13th November.

London to Leeds/York - £10 standard and £25 first class, one way.
London to Newcastle - £15 standard and £35 first class, one way.
London to Edinburgh - £25 standard and £40 first class, one way.

For more info:
https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/sp...e-is-here/

Pity September 26th is excluded, think how much some of us would have saved on our trips to Lothian Open Doors Day.
Just booked my tickets for Edinburgh on Saturday 26th September through the Virgin Trains East Coast website. I'm unsure what others think of it but I found the booking system on the website was very easy to use and I was done in a few minutes. Got decent seats too. Big Grin
(27 Aug 2015, 6:39 pm)R852 PRG wrote Just booked my tickets for Edinburgh on Saturday 26th September through the Virgin Trains East Coast website. I'm unsure what others think of it but I found the booking system on the website was very easy to use and I was done in a few minutes. Got decent seats too. Big Grin

The only reason why VTEC's booking system is so easy is because it's basically East Coast's with a bit of red on it.  Big Grin

East Coast was a brilliant operator!
(28 Aug 2015, 7:37 am)GX03 SVC wrote The only reason why VTEC's booking system is so easy is because it's basically East Coast's with a bit of red on it.  Big Grin

East Coast was a brilliant operator!

They were. I still fail to understand why it was privatised... Everything about it was spot on in my opinion. But what really annoys me about it is the rewards system being replaced.
(28 Aug 2015, 6:16 pm)R852 PRG wrote They were. I still fail to understand why it was privatised... Everything about it was spot on in my opinion. But what really annoys me about it is the rewards system being replaced.

Ideology - that's what it came down to.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(29 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm)northern156 wrote Got a pair of tickets for a return to London in the beginning of October for £30 using the seat sale. Smile
Is that with a railcard discount?

I need a London trip. I've got an anytime single voucher (by way of apology from VTEC), so I'd only need to be getting a one way advance.
(29 Aug 2015, 9:32 pm)aureolin wrote Is that with a railcard discount?

I need a London trip. I've got an anytime single voucher (by way of apology from VTEC), so I'd only need to be getting a one way advance.

Flat fare so it doesn't take my YP into account. Smile

Although it probably would have been cheaper doing an advance with my YP anyhow! However I had woken up early especially for this sale so I thought I might as well. Smile

Excellent news that! You can typically get a London advance one-way for £30 without a railcard.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(29 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm)northern156 wrote Flat fare so it doesn't take my YP into account. Smile

Although it probably would have been cheaper doing an advance with my YP anyhow! However I had woken up early especially for this sale so I thought I might as well. Smile

Excellent news that! You can typically get a London advance one-way for £30 without a railcard.

That's really good value. I was actually thinking of doing a VTEC 91 down, and perhaps a Grand Central HST back. I've got quite a bit of time left on it, so I'll see what I can plan.
On Saturday, Virgin Trains dropped the "East Coast" part of the name. Therefore meaning that the TOC is now called Virgin Trains and not Virgin Trains East Coast.

However, the code will remain as 'GR' which actuallty stands for GNER!
(22 Sep 2015, 10:10 pm)LeeCalder wrote On Saturday, Virgin Trains dropped the "East Coast" part of the name. Therefore meaning that the TOC is now called Virgin Trains and not Virgin Trains East Coast.

However, the code will remain as 'GR' which actuallty stands for GNER!

Surprised at this.

I noticed that the 'East Coast' was missing from the TV advert. Didn't realise it had been dropped completely though.