You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015
(04 Dec 2015, 6:42 am)buss14 wrote i dont think arriva will replace buses at a young age because they will probably think economically if they just need to fix small issues then that can be done in like 1 hour or so then they will stay. i think it is most likely that the buses will get a more powerful engine with a better battery power because that what happened to mcgills buses.

That would be acceptable for a MAX service but for a premium 'Sapphire' service, then surely the vehicles used should be up to a high standard. Although the 57 plates will only be 8 year old come next year, all or some have been through the following:

- Intense work at Blyth particularly down to the fact that the PVR of the 308 increased after they were purchased (3 or 4 used to be GNE Lolyne / Palatine Boards).

- Used on the 501/505/518 and the X15/X18.

- Based down at the Redcar outstation and used on the tough X93.

The only problem would be where to send these vehicles. 2x of the best obviously could stay at Ashington as spares  but the following could happen for the rest:

- Sent nationally to act as spares for other double deck Sapphire routes for other Arriva divisions.

- Power consoles removed, sockets covered or removed, seat headrests retrimmed and turned into MAX with the NSA screens and systems transferred into the replacement vehicles.

I think that one of the following will happen to replace them:

- 8x new E400s (either MMC or Classic most likely the former) with the above happening to the 57 plates.

- 7x new E400 MMCs for Durham / Belmont with 7534-40 going to Ashington and working the X21/X22 alongside 7522-28 and 7518. Same principle applies for the 57 plates.

- If the 7 continues to see growth, 15x new E400 MMCs for Ashington. Same principle applies for the 57 plates but not enough NSA systems though. 7523-28 then transfer to Darlington / Belmont alongside 7518 and 7522 acting as spares seeing the 7 become fully double deck. The Pulsars used on the 7 then either stay in the North East or go national to assist existing Sapphire single deck routes or help launch a new Sapphire route.

- If the X10/X11 continue to see growth, 20x new E400MMCs for Ashington (15) and Durham / Belmont (5). 7534-37 and 7540 alongside 7522-28 transfer to Blyth converting the X10/X11 to Sapphire with the MAX DB300s going where needed either within the North East or nationally. For the 57 plates, 3x stay at Ashington as spares and 3x go to Blyth as spares with the 3x worst ones out of the 9 going into reserve. 7518 then transfers to Belmont / Darlington as a spare.

A major selling point of the last predicition is that if 2x nearby depots are both operating a Sapphire service, dedicated driving units could be formed for better customer service (only doing the X21/X22 [35 during evenings and Sundays] or X10/X11 unless an absolute emergency) and if lets say a driver phoned in sick at Blyth or Ashington, then drivers could be sent from one depot to another if needed.
2820 was getting a lift to Belmont at 0845 this morning.
Saw it coming off the motorway and onto the A690.
(05 Dec 2015, 10:16 am)DaveyBowyer wrote That would be acceptable for a MAX service but for a premium 'Sapphire' service, then surely the vehicles used should be up to a high standard. Although the 57 plates will only be 8 year old come next year, all or some have been through the following:

- Intense work at Blyth particularly down to the fact that the PVR of the 308 increased after they were purchased (3 or 4 used to be GNE Lolyne / Palatine Boards).

- Used on the 501/505/518 and the X15/X18.

- Based down at the Redcar outstation and used on the tough X93.

The only problem would be where to send these vehicles. 2x of the best obviously could stay at Ashington as spares  but the following could happen for the rest:

- Sent nationally to act as spares for other double deck Sapphire routes for other Arriva divisions.

- Power consoles removed, sockets covered or removed, seat headrests retrimmed and turned into MAX with the NSA screens and systems transferred into the replacement vehicles.

I think that one of the following will happen to replace them:

- 8x new E400s (either MMC or Classic most likely the former) with the above happening to the 57 plates.

- 7x new E400 MMCs for Durham / Belmont with 7534-40 going to Ashington and working the X21/X22 alongside 7522-28 and 7518. Same principle applies for the 57 plates.

- If the 7 continues to see growth, 15x new E400 MMCs for Ashington. Same principle applies for the 57 plates but not enough NSA systems though. 7523-28 then transfer to Darlington / Belmont alongside 7518 and 7522 acting as spares seeing the 7 become fully double deck. The Pulsars used on the 7 then either stay in the North East or go national to assist existing Sapphire single deck routes or help launch a new Sapphire route.

- If the X10/X11 continue to see growth, 20x new E400MMCs for Ashington (15) and Durham / Belmont (5). 7534-37 and 7540 alongside 7522-28 transfer to Blyth converting the X10/X11 to Sapphire with the MAX DB300s going where needed either within the North East or nationally. For the 57 plates, 3x stay at Ashington as spares and 3x go to Blyth as spares with the 3x worst ones out of the 9 going into reserve. 7518 then transfers to Belmont / Darlington as a spare.

A major selling point of the last predicition is that if 2x nearby depots are both operating a Sapphire service, dedicated driving units could be formed for better customer service (only doing the X21/X22 [35 during evenings and Sundays] or X10/X11 unless an absolute emergency) and if lets say a driver phoned in sick at Blyth or Ashington, then drivers could be sent from one depot to another if needed.

Why would they waste money on covering or removing sockets?! They've not long been put in!
(05 Dec 2015, 11:56 am)Cock Robin wrote Why would they waste money on covering or removing sockets?! They've not long been put in!

Plus, certain MAX services have power sockets...

Davey, do you know how crap Sapphire seats with MAX headrests will look?
(05 Dec 2015, 11:56 am)Cock Robin wrote Why would they waste money on covering or removing sockets?! They've not long been put in!

Well thats the whole part and parcel of the problem. With vehicles in that age and condition, where could they go bar acting as spares. Fitting plug sockets on MAX services (USBs ok) will only dillate the Sapphire brand. 

Put it this way, if Arriva keep the 57 plates on the road until the end of their life, then there could well be some more E400s in Northumberland.................

but with Voith gearboxes and that'll do the X21 / X22 no favours
has 7466 moved to ashington because it came out of ashington depot an been put on the 35
(05 Dec 2015, 1:49 pm)buss14 wrote has 7466 moved to ashington because it came out of ashington depot an been put on the 35

Funny how I'm on it - on the W0W and it's currently at Woodhorn....
Today, Arriva Northumbria started operating service W0W on behalf of Woodhorn Museum & Archives and Northumberland County Council for the "Weekend of Wonder", currently taking place over the weekend. Service W0W runs between Ashington Bus Station (Stand E) and Woodhorn Museum.

Both Arriva Northumbria and Howard Snaith operated shuttle services, as mentioned the W0W by Arriva, and also the Park & Ride by Howard Snaith that runs between Alcan and Woodhorn Museum. Representing Howard Snaith today was Volvo B9R / Plaxton Panther YN12 BBO.

Alexander ALX400 / DAF DB250RS 7466 (W396 VGJ) operated the service, 7466 is currently on loan to Ashington depot today, and will return to Blyth later today or tomorrow morning.

Here is 7466 and YN12 BBO at Woodhorn Museum;
[Image: 22911561403_147b871f21.jpg]
Arriva Northumbria & Howard Snaith: Woodhorn WoW Shuttles by Thomas Simms, on Flickr
(05 Dec 2015, 2:12 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Funny how I'm on it - on the W0W and it's currently at Woodhorn....

i didnt mean right now i saw it a 7 45
(05 Dec 2015, 3:52 pm)GX03 SVC wrote It's been spare all day...?

yes fine i am not in the mood for an argument and has anyone seen any of ashingtons streetlites.just there are a few max buses on 35
for example
57 reg branded x15 enviro 400
NK05 GXO
NK05 HKV
NK09 FND
Y497 UGC
and no sight of a streetlite unless i keep missing them
(05 Dec 2015, 4:39 pm)buss14 wrote yes fine i am not in the mood for an argument and has anyone seen any of ashingtons streetlites.just there are a few max buses on 35
for example
57 reg branded x15 enviro 400
NK05 GXO
NK05 HKV
NK09 FND
Y497 UGC
and no sight of a streetlite unless i keep missing them

7512/4659/1801/7517/7479 and another ALX400 (didn't catch number). 

I don't know where the StreetLites are at present, but 7485 is on N30.
(05 Dec 2015, 1:22 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well thats the whole part and parcel of the problem. With vehicles in that age and condition, where could they go bar acting as spares. Fitting plug sockets on MAX services (USBs ok) will only dillate the Sapphire brand. 

Put it this way, if Arriva keep the 57 plates on the road until the end of their life, then there could well be some more E400s in Northumberland.................

but with Voith gearboxes and that'll do the X21 / X22 no favours

No it won't. It's becoming an expectation that buses are fitted with WiFi and plug sockets, given that most new orders are now coming with them.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
All 3 of Ashington's Streetlights are on the X14.  Presumably due to the high winds up in the Rothbury area
(05 Dec 2015, 6:01 pm)coldav wrote All 3 of Ashington's Streetlights are on the X14.  Presumably due to the high winds up in the Rothbury area

I thought they were. Going over the moors is rather risky in a decker in weather like this.
(05 Dec 2015, 6:34 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I thought they were. Going over the moors is rather risky in a decker in weather like this.

ahh that will explain why i didnt see them on 35
As mentioned on the rare & odd workings the other day but just for confirmation, MAX Pulsars 1502 and 1504 are now back at Blyth, with 1492 and 1494 returned to Stockton.
Site Administrator
A trip to Durham is like playing Where's Wally... but where the intention is to spot a bus with a rear destination that works!

In all of my trips to Durham over the last few months, today included, I've struggled to find buses with working rear destinations. I'm guessing that I am seeing the same ones time and time again, rather than 90% of the fleet having rear destinations that don't work..?
(06 Dec 2015, 2:54 pm)Dan wrote A trip to Durham is like playing Where's Wally... but where the intention is to spot a bus with a rear destination that works!

In all of my trips to Durham over the last few months, today included, I've struggled to find buses with working rear destinations. I'm guessing that I am seeing the same ones time and time again, rather than 90% of the fleet having rear destinations that don't work..?

Not wrong, many of Belmont's buses particularly the standard liveried Pulsars don't seem to have working rear destination screens.
Site Administrator
(06 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm)Jimmi wrote Not wrong, many of Belmont's buses particularly the standard liveried Pulsars don't seem to have working rear destination screens.

The Solos are the usual offenders that I spot, but the number of Pulsars seems to have increased too.

Are the full size destinations set up correctly yet on the Sapphire ADL Enviro400s at Durham, or are these still showing route numbers only?
(06 Dec 2015, 2:54 pm)Dan wrote A trip to Durham is like playing Where's Wally... but where the intention is to spot a bus with a rear destination that works!

I think they've got some of the Sapphire Streetlites now displaying correctly, but there's still far too many buses going round with nothing at all displayed. The Solos are probably the most reliable, but there's quite a few of them without working nearside displays. 

I wonder if it's reported on the defect sheet, or whether there's no requirement to do so?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Are there any new vehicles or any conversion of services to Max or Sapphire next year? I think in Darlington it's only the 1/1B/5/5A, 19 and 12 there are unbranded out of all the services.
(06 Dec 2015, 8:18 pm)JoshP wrote Are there any new vehicles or any conversion of services to Max or Sapphire next year? I think in Darlington it's only the 1/1B/5/5A, 19 and 12 there are unbranded out of all the services.

Currently unbranded Darlington services: 1/1B, 5/5A, 8/8A, 12/12A and X75/X76.

Anyone know if Omnicitys 4652/4654/4658 are still getting refurbished to MAX standard for the X75/X76?

Only service I'm aware of definitely going MAX soon is the X20 Newcastle - Ashington - Amble.
(06 Dec 2015, 8:18 pm)JoshP wrote Are there any new vehicles or any conversion of services to Max or Sapphire next year? I think in Darlington it's only the 1/1B/5/5A, 19 and 12 there are unbranded out of all the services.

I think there are enough Sapphire routes already in the North East, especially in Durham! Max is mainly focused on express services, identified with an "X" at the beginning of the service number. I don't think there will be any (regular) services left after the X20 and X75/6, though they did just add an X to the beginning for the latter without changing the service. I did hear a while ago that the 685 was going to go Max but that may well be dead in the water now...though from what I've seen the e-leather on the Omnicities is a bit shabby now. 

I would like to think that the 56/57/57A would be a contender for new buses next year to free up the Solos for Blyth, so there could potentially be a brand there but that would again be for Durham.
(06 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm)peter wrote I think there are enough Sapphire routes already in the North East, especially in Durham! Max is mainly focused on express services, identified with an "X" at the beginning of the service number. I don't think there will be any (regular) services left after the X20 and X75/6, though they did just add an X to the beginning for the latter without changing the service. I did hear a while ago that the 685 was going to go Max but that may well be dead in the water now...though from what I've seen the e-leather on the Omnicities is a bit shabby now. 

I would like to think that the 56/57/57A would be a contender for new buses next year to free up the Solos for Blyth, so there could potentially be a brand there but that would again be for Durham.

I can definitely see the 1/1B going Sapphire at some point. Not sure about the 5/5A though. Personal opinion haha