You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015
(24 Dec 2015, 10:01 pm)Kuyoyo wrote It's been like that since the 7 was upgraded. I'd expect it to be changed once the new-style is refined.
The announcements on the 7 urgently need seeing to as since Sapphire was launched extra stops have been added, some stops aren't announced, no announcement at all on Framwellgate Moor morning journeys and a few other mistakes are in there.
If it's been like that since the service was upgraded, then it's a disgraceful really. They must appreciate how unprofessional it looks. I believe the 'Three Horse Hoes' one still exists on the 22 also?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
Upgraded to Sapphire over two years ago and still like that?! Ludicrous.
(23 Dec 2015, 11:38 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I've just had a thought. Due to Arriva having so many services falling under the MAX / Sapphire scope and some MAX services having nearly the same feaures as Sapphire, could Arriva not just do this for branding:

Group 1 (Services which only have free Wi-Fi and NSA's at most):
- Interurban livery or Eco Green if a Hybrid. If buses are dedicated to a route, then enhanced route branding with just the service number and outline of key destinations.

Group 2 (Services which have free Wi-Fi and High Back Seats at a minimum):
- MAX livery but not branded MAX, enhanced route branding with just the service number and outline of key destinations as well as some cheeky but not cheesy taglines like 'to the heart of Newcastle upto every 10 minutes'. Each vehicle has an outline of the applicable features via symbols as part of the livery and elsewhere (similar to what GNE have on the Red Kite and Coast & Country vehicles).

I'll use Blyth Depot as an example:

Group 1: 1, 2, 308
Group 2: X7, X8, X9, X10, X11

On the Sapphire/MAX vehicles, they do have the 'Free Wifi' vinyls styled around the livery so that it blends in.  On the Sapphire vehicles, they tend to have 3 circles explaining what is featured with the service.
(24 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm)palatine3833 wrote On the Sapphire/MAX vehicles, they do have the 'Free Wifi' vinyls styled around the livery so that it blends in.  On the Sapphire vehicles, they tend to have 3 circles explaining what is featured with the service.

It may blend in, but if you're promoting an additional service, you'll surely want it to stand out? Not a lot of customers will notice those because theyre blended in that well. They'll assume it's part of the livery in my opinion. I feel that something away from the colour scheme of the livery would stand out a lot more.

First do in Glasgow tend to use the WiFi logo on the left of the destination - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aureolindn...898237/in/
Lothian do something similar, with a WiFi logo on a nearside and on an offside window - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aureolindn...665491/in/
(24 Dec 2015, 10:54 pm)Adrian wrote It may blend in, but if you're promoting an additional service, you'll surely want it to stand out? Not a lot of customers will notice those because theyre blended in that well. They'll assume it's part of the livery in my opinion. I feel that something away from the colour scheme of the livery would stand out a lot more.

First do in Glasgow tend to use the WiFi logo on the left of the destination - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aureolindn...898237/in/
Lothian do something similar, with a WiFi logo on a nearside and on an offside window - https://www.flickr.com/photos/aureolindn...665491/in/

I think 'blend in' was the wrong choice of words.  What I should have said was, matches the style of the bus - they tend to be similar to the ones shown on the First bus to be honest.
(24 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm)palatine3833 wrote I think 'blend in' was the wrong choice of words.  What I should have said was, matches the style of the bus - they tend to be similar to the ones shown on the First bus to be honest.
There's no doubt that it matches the style of the Sapphire brand, but I think it's a bad thing when promoting additional features.

On that first livery I posted, the colour scheme is pink and silver, although the graphics promoting the additional features are blue. They instantly stand out, along with the logo near the front destination.

GNE have started using a set of standard colored circles for each of their features, which again stand out, but are becoming uniform across the fleet.
(26 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm)S813 FVK wrote Not really North East related but Arriva Yorkshire managed to operate services today...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@...ateposted/
Here's a screenshot of the Arriva Live Map, showing where some Arriva buses where running today.
https://flic.kr/p/CuYSUU
(26 Dec 2015, 9:04 pm)callum2015 wrote Arriva was one of the first operators of Boxing Day buses in West Yorkshire a few year back,all worked out of 1 depot (Belle Isle)

Just a shame that the north east doesn't seem to receive similar treatment. Some communities that rely on a bus service that is provided by Arriva are left stranded for two consecutive days. Obviously it's just not justifiable to operate a bus service on Christmas Day, but it begs the question - when will Arriva wake up and realise that there is money to be made on Boxing Day in the north east?
(26 Dec 2015, 9:09 pm)R852 PRG wrote Just a shame that the north east doesn't seem to receive similar treatment. Some communities that rely on a bus service that is provided by Arriva are left stranded for two consecutive days. Obviously it's just not justifiable to operate a bus service on Christmas Day, but it begs the question - when will Arriva wake up and realise that there is money to be made on Boxing Day in the north east?

One small difference,Arriva get paid by Metro towards running Boxing Day (Not sure how much,i know 2 year ago metro paid 50% towards running costs,but considering the popularity of Boxing days has grown i`m guessing they pay less now)
(26 Dec 2015, 9:43 pm)callum2015 wrote One small difference,Arriva get paid by Metro towards running Boxing Day (Not sure how much,i know 2 year ago metro paid 50% towards running costs,but considering the popularity of Boxing days has grown i`m guessing they pay less now)

DB Regio Tyne and Wear Limited not Arriva.
(26 Dec 2015, 10:18 pm)GX03 SVC wrote DB Regio Tyne and Wear Limited not Arriva.

Metro as in the West Yorkshire PTE.
1502 has been generically branded for MAX, even sporting an offside advertisement holder. Large MAX logo on the nearside.

7412 and 7415 are VOR today.

1502 has been generically branded for MAX, even sporting an offside advertisement holder. Large MAX logo on the nearside.

(28 Dec 2015, 5:56 pm)GX03 SVC wrote 1502 has been generically branded for MAX, even sporting an offside advertisement holder. Large MAX logo on the nearside.

1502 and 1504 were both branded for MAX while at Stockton Wink
(26 Dec 2015, 8:17 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Don't think any of them will accept my Arriva Teen Card or go anywhere near Morpeth though.  Wink

Quite a few people were asking if they could get to Morpeth on Saturday.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(28 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm)Davie wrote Apologies if this has already been asked; but has 7458 (T313FGN) been withdrawn?

Taxed until 1st March 2016 - can't see it coming off much sooner than that if there's no need for it to be withdrawn.
(28 Dec 2015, 10:57 pm)Dan wrote Taxed until 1st March 2016 - can't see it coming off much sooner than that if there's no need for it to be withdrawn.

(28 Dec 2015, 11:07 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Nope.

Thanks both. Just I wanted a ride on it before it does go.