Menu

Pages (128)    132 33 34128   
LeeCalder   01 Jan 2016, 9:30 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:25 pm)Adrian wrote Best way. You get to see a lot more interesting stock by travelling around a bit! Unfortunately there'll always be people that don't appreciate what's not on their door step.

I'd love to do Dublin one day. I was down Derby not so long ago, and found things a bit average. Arriva had some interesting stock down there, but I'd probably want to do it again in the summer and explore a bit more.

I completely agree Adrian.

I travelled down with three Arriva employees and they all agreed that Arriva's fleet was looking very very shoddy. However, in my opinion not as bad as that of Notts + Derby. Although owned by TrentBarton, they appear to have had very little funding at all.
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:33 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:25 pm)Adrian wrote Best way. You get to see a lot more interesting stock by travelling around a bit! Unfortunately there'll always be people that don't appreciate what's not on their door step.

I'd love to do Dublin one day. I was down Derby not so long ago, and found things a bit average. Arriva had some interesting stock down there, but I'd probably want to do it again in the summer and explore a bit more.
As DanPicken states in his post, money plays a major part. In an attempt to try and get to various locations in future I am trying to find a part - time job.
LeeCalder   01 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:28 pm)DanPicken wrote It's hard to do with little money, Lee only does it because of the Honey Monster.

(01 Jan 2016, 9:33 pm)Davie wrote As DanPicken states in his post, money plays a major part. In an attempt to try and get to various locations in future I am trying to find a part - time job.

Do I?

I believe it would be wrong to go out and about with others without paying petrol money, for which reason I always do.
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:36 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm)LeeCalder wrote Do I?

I believe it would be wrong to go out and about with others without paying petrol money, for which reason I always do.

Yes you pay alot less for Petrol than me and Davie would have to as we'd have to get the train.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm)LeeCalder wrote Do I?

Yes... but when you don't know soneone who drives, then you have to pay loads for either coach or train tickets.
Jimmi   01 Jan 2016, 9:39 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:07 pm)tyresmoke wrote Why not head to Crook and photograph Weardale's X21? Due in at 1030, same time as one of the 101's.
There's probably not a lot you haven't got a photo of though to be fair!

Might be worth mentioning that there will be a heavy coach presence for rail replacement Darlington-Durham-Newcastle over the next few weeks, but this starts next week 9th January.
X21 leaves Crook at 1050 on Saturday's, heading towards Stanhope. Thanks for the suggestion though, may still do that, I'll see how I feel, but I don't have a photo of the X21.

Yeah, there is certainly a lot of things I have photos of, I do like to photograph and ride buses/services that independents have, although I seem mostly interested in buses that do public service work, not so interested in coaches so much although do attempt to take photos of them as it can come in handy for the NEB fleet lists and such.

I create an album for each operator I photograph. I need to sort the albums for Stagecoach, elsewhere particularly the North West album where I'm not sure what to put the division down as.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@N02/albums
(01 Jan 2016, 9:21 pm)LeeCalder wrote I would like to think I have broadened my horizons. You only have to look at my Flickr to see that.

I am no longer wandering around with the controversial, I have some brilliant mates who are both enthusiasts and involved heavily in the industry. Yesterday saw a trip to TrentBarton Land, and further trips to Lancashire, Dublin and Cardiff are on the cards.
It is nice to see you getting about further afield and seeing some photos of buses somewhere else, looking at some of the photos you uploaded earlier, it just made me think that I would like to head down that way someday for some photos. Unsure about where I intend to head in the summer yet although I was having a look through a site listing events and rallies for buses in 2016, some of which I am considering heading to, plus other places I'd like to go to for day to day service buses. I am in Manchester one weekend this month although I'm actually down there to see The Libertines, so I'm unlikely to get much in the way of photos whilst I'm down there, although I will try and get a few in and I will take the Nikon this time instead of that little pocket Sony camera I have.
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm)Davie wrote Yes... but when you don't know soneone who drives, then you have to pay loads for either coach or train tickets.

I agree my older sister and her partner can drive but they look after their Grandchildren who have things I can't mention and they both work.
LeeCalder   01 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm
This appears to have become a bit of a sympathy argument (again)...

You could travel by Megabus to any of the said places for less that £10!

Which is a hell of a lot less that I pay in petrol.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm)DanPicken wrote I agree my older sister and her partner can drive but they look after their Grandchildren who have things I can't mention and they both work.
I also can't go that far due to my dad's incosistant health.
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:43 pm
Jimmi-There's Carlisle and North Lancashire and South Lancashire and Manchester (?).
Adrian   01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm)LeeCalder wrote This appears to have become a bit of a sympathy argument (again)...

This is true. If you look around enough, the tickets are cheap enough. Megabus have the extra cheap tickets on a Wednesday too I think?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm)LeeCalder wrote This appears to have become a bit of a sympathy argument (again)...

Which have awkward times and run maybe once a day.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:43 pm)DanPicken wrote Jimmi-There's Carlisle and North Lancashire and South Lancashire and Manchester (?).

Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire and Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire are the legal names.
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:43 pm)DanPicken wrote Jimmi-There's Carlisle and North Lancashire and South Lancashire and Manchester (?).
York is canny too. Expence is a issue though.
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm)Adrian wrote This is true. If you look around enough, the tickets are cheap enough. Megabus have the extra cheap tickets on a Wednesday too I think?

A day which I'm at school which plays a part, I have to choose my GCSE options soon.
DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm)R852 PRG wrote Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire and Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire are the legal names.

Thanks Marcus knew it was something and North Lancashire.

(01 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm)Davie wrote York is canny too. Expence is a issue though.

Aren't we heading there later this month?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
LeeCalder   01 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:39 pm)Jimmi wrote It is nice to see you getting about further afield and seeing some photos of buses somewhere else, looking at some of the photos you uploaded earlier, it just made me think that I would like to head down that way someday for some photos. Unsure about where I intend to head in the summer yet although I was having a look through a site listing events and rallies for buses in 2016, some of which I am considering heading to, plus other places I'd like to go to for day to day service buses. I am in Manchester one weekend this month although I'm actually down there to see The Libertines, so I'm unlikely to get much in the way of photos whilst I'm down there, although I will try and get a few in and I will take the Nikon this time instead of that little pocket Sony camera I have.

Thanks Jimmi, it is nice to know that my photos are being well received!

I would recommend Trent Land to anyone in the hobby, I visited a small town called Hucknall to get my photos of 'Hucknall's Connect' which connects with the tram, meaning you can get two in one!
Attached Files
.jpg
DSC00215.JPG (Size 4.22 MB Downloads 19)
.jpg
DSC00214.JPG (Size 4.44 MB Downloads 16)
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm)DanPicken wrote Aren't we heading there later this month?

I'm not sure yet mate.
Kuyoyo   01 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm
I'd also suggest Sheffield and South Yorkshire as an area to explore. A few days is enough - you can also do the Peak District area from the area.

I'm hopefully going to try and go to other parts of the Country this year. Mind, I did say that last year and the furthest I got was the Peaks.
Davie   01 Jan 2016, 9:51 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I'd also suggest Sheffield and South Yorkshire as an area to explore. A few days is enough - you can also do the Peak District area from the area.

I'm hopefully going to try and go to other parts of the Country this year. Mind, I did say that last year and the furthest I got was the Peaks.
Sheffield is one place I'd love to visit one day. I'd also like to go to Doncaster, Leeds and York (again).
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   01 Jan 2016, 9:52 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm)R852 PRG wrote Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire and Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire are the legal names.

I tried to fix all the photos in the Stagecoach North West album, but I searched the registrations for the buses on Flickr and kept getting met with different things in each title on each photo, so I have no idea what I should set my titles as, particularly the ones that I have snapped in Blackpool. Can someone comment on each photo and suggest what I should refer to it as.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...9622398130
Kuyoyo   01 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:52 pm)Jimmi wrote I tried to fix all the photos in the Stagecoach North West album, but I searched the registrations for the buses on Flickr and kept getting met with different things in each title on each photo, so I have no idea what I should set my titles as, particularly the ones that I have snapped in Blackpool. Can someone comment on each photo and suggest what I should refer to it as.

Carlisle, Workington, Kendal, Barrow and Morecambe depots fall under Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire
Preston, Liverpool Gillmoss, Chester and Rock Ferry depots fall under Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire

In terms of Blackpool - the 61, 68 and 84 are worked by Preston depot and the 42 is worked by Morecambe.
Adrian   01 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm)Davie wrote York is canny too. Expence is a issue though.

(01 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm)DanPicken wrote A day which I'm at school which plays a part, I have to choose my GCSE options soon.

Do you not get half and end of term breaks any more like? Most of us get 5 weeks worth of leave a year, and we all manage it. 

I do appreciate that expense can be an issue, but if you're flexible enough, it can still be affordable. The times that you most want to travel will probably be the same as when everyone else wants to travel. Hence tickets being at a premium for that time.  Looking back at this year, I managed to get York for £31 from Newcastle, but that was first class. If I recall, it would have been about £21/£22 standard. Edinburgh was £41 including a portion of that as first class.

DanPicken   01 Jan 2016, 9:57 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm)Adrian wrote Do you not get half and end of term breaks any more like? Most of us get 5 weeks worth of leave a year, and we all manage it. 

I do appreciate that expense can be an issue, but if you're flexible enough, it can still be affordable. The times that you most want to travel will probably be the same as when everyone else wants to travel. Hence tickets being at a premium for that time.  Looking back at this year, I managed to get York for £31 from Newcastle, but that was first class. If I recall, it would have been about £21/£22 standard. Edinburgh was £41 including a portion of that as first class.

I do but its only a week or 2 here and there and everyone travels then.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   01 Jan 2016, 9:58 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm)Adrian wrote Do you not get half and end of term breaks any more like? Most of us get 5 weeks worth of leave a year, and we all manage it. 

Got a return to York on the GC for £15 just a few weeks back.
That was over a weekend too.

Plenty of good deals to be had if you can plan ahead.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
LeeCalder   01 Jan 2016, 9:58 pm

It's about being bothered to search for the correct fares, as it seems you may have done.

VTEC operate a 'we won't be beaten' price guarantee. I got a return to Edinburgh for the 30th of this month for just £16.90 return.
Adrian   01 Jan 2016, 10:00 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 9:58 pm)LeeCalder wrote It's about being bothered to search for the correct fares, as it seems you may have done.

VTEC operate a 'we won't be beaten' price guarantee. I got a return to Edinburgh for the 30th of this month for just £16.90 return.

Aye this is it. I tend to book my leave a year in advance, and then just keep searching around for ticket deals. You may not get where you want to go for cheap that week, but you can guarantee somewhere else will be just as cheap. That's how York came about really, as the original plan was to hit West Yorkshire. 

I could probably do my trips cheaper than I do, but if I see it as being a good deal, I'll always try and get the return portion to first class.

Jimmi   01 Jan 2016, 10:00 pm
If any of you are aged 16-25, and are looking to travel by train often, why not invest in a young persons railcard?
http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

Costs £30 a year, or you can get a three year railcard for £70.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   01 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm
Hey I managed to go from Newcastle to Antwerp for a £12 return on the Megabus in 2014.

As for Notts and Derby, they only look down at heel because they're Wellglades low cost unit in the Derby area.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Adrian   01 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm
(01 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Hey I managed to go from Newcastle to Antwerp for a £12 return on the Megabus in 2014.

As for Notts and Derby, they only look down at heel because they're Wellglades low cost unit in the Derby area.

You deserve a medal for spending that long on a coach. Tongue

Pages (128)    132 33 34128