Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1184 185 186239 Next
30 Dec 2015, 2:53 pm #3,681
I've got a bit more time to myself today, so I decided to go to Berwick and back. Journeys in red were not originally planned.

0903--1003 #X21 Seaton Hirst to Newcastle Haymarket / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7509 (NK57 GXB) 
Thankfully as I turned up at the bus stop, my bus, 7509, was approaching. I boarded with two other people, after paying my fare the driver, the driver asked where I was going to today, and I said and he said that I'd enjoy the journey. I charged my iPod Shuffle at the at-seat power sockets. After arriving in Newcastle, I went to the newsagents next door to the Arriva Travel Shop, to get myself a bottle of Sprite. 

As many of you will be aware in my enlightening post in the "What's annoying you today? V4" thread, some bloke argued the toss about me being at the front of the queue and pushing in whiling waiting for the X15.

1033--1257 #X15 Newcastle Haymarket to Berwick Railway Station / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7511 (NK57 GXD)
I then boarded 7511 on the X15. The upstairs was rather dirty, like 7509, a few people went upstairs, including him, after he gave me hacky looks. I sat at the front upstairs at the near side. The condensation was getting the better of the windows, so I couldn't see much. 7511 handled the route much better 7516 and was much smoother than 7509. The bus them became HMS Max after water started to take over the front of the upstairs. I alighted at Berwick Railway Station and then wandered off for a bite to eat. 

I had sausage(s) and chips from a chippy on the main street. I then took a couple of pictures of Perryman's vehicles on the way to the fine dining spot of a bus stop at the bridge. 

I then wandered back up to Berwick Railway Station, to pick up a few timetables. 

7530 then pulled up and then I boarded, the driver was very friendly and advised me about changing at Alnwick for the X15 or the X20 if I wanted to go direct to either Ashington or Morpeth.

1403--1615 #X18 Berwick Railway Station to Alnwick Bus Station / Arriva Northumbria 7530 (NK64 EER)
My first proper ride on one of these. The seating layout is different to Ashington's Sapphire '14 reg Enviro400s. The bus is noticeably faster than both 7511 and 7516. At Beal, some plonker failed to move for the bus and the bus had a minor collision. We were back on the way within a few minutes. As we approach Seahouses while I write this, the views are spectacular. I will finish the review once I get home.

1615-- #X15 Alnwick Bus Station to Morpeth Bus Station / Arriva Northumbria 7513 (NK57 GXF)
Edited 30 Dec 2015, 4:27 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
30 Dec 2015, 2:53 pm #3,681

I've got a bit more time to myself today, so I decided to go to Berwick and back. Journeys in red were not originally planned.

0903--1003 #X21 Seaton Hirst to Newcastle Haymarket / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7509 (NK57 GXB) 
Thankfully as I turned up at the bus stop, my bus, 7509, was approaching. I boarded with two other people, after paying my fare the driver, the driver asked where I was going to today, and I said and he said that I'd enjoy the journey. I charged my iPod Shuffle at the at-seat power sockets. After arriving in Newcastle, I went to the newsagents next door to the Arriva Travel Shop, to get myself a bottle of Sprite. 

As many of you will be aware in my enlightening post in the "What's annoying you today? V4" thread, some bloke argued the toss about me being at the front of the queue and pushing in whiling waiting for the X15.

1033--1257 #X15 Newcastle Haymarket to Berwick Railway Station / Arriva Northumbria ADL Enviro400 7511 (NK57 GXD)
I then boarded 7511 on the X15. The upstairs was rather dirty, like 7509, a few people went upstairs, including him, after he gave me hacky looks. I sat at the front upstairs at the near side. The condensation was getting the better of the windows, so I couldn't see much. 7511 handled the route much better 7516 and was much smoother than 7509. The bus them became HMS Max after water started to take over the front of the upstairs. I alighted at Berwick Railway Station and then wandered off for a bite to eat. 

I had sausage(s) and chips from a chippy on the main street. I then took a couple of pictures of Perryman's vehicles on the way to the fine dining spot of a bus stop at the bridge. 

I then wandered back up to Berwick Railway Station, to pick up a few timetables. 

7530 then pulled up and then I boarded, the driver was very friendly and advised me about changing at Alnwick for the X15 or the X20 if I wanted to go direct to either Ashington or Morpeth.

1403--1615 #X18 Berwick Railway Station to Alnwick Bus Station / Arriva Northumbria 7530 (NK64 EER)
My first proper ride on one of these. The seating layout is different to Ashington's Sapphire '14 reg Enviro400s. The bus is noticeably faster than both 7511 and 7516. At Beal, some plonker failed to move for the bus and the bus had a minor collision. We were back on the way within a few minutes. As we approach Seahouses while I write this, the views are spectacular. I will finish the review once I get home.

1615-- #X15 Alnwick Bus Station to Morpeth Bus Station / Arriva Northumbria 7513 (NK57 GXF)

Jimmi

31 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm #3,682
One last review of 2015.

0805 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 7535)
A very sparsely loaded bus, only two people on it when I boarded and they were both sat downstairs, so of course I chose the front seat on the drivers side and I had the upstairs to myself for the remainder of the journey.

0910 X24 Durham - MetroCentre (ANE 7609)
Saw this enter Durham Bus Station at around 08:55 showing 'Taking It to the MAX' on the screen and was hoping it was making an unusual appearance on a service, sadly it was operating the X24 which disappointed me, was hoping for a 57 reg Lowlander. Pretty average journey really. Of course, the WiFi was broken!

1127 100 MetroCentre - Newcastle (SNE 22413)
After doing a bit shopping (no one's intrested in hearing more about that!) and a bit bus/rail spotting, I jumped on this to Newcastle. This felt pretty slow, it has to be said. After what felt like forever, we arrived in Newcastle.

1230 X20 Newcastle - Ashington (ANE 7470)
Got this up to Ashington in the hope of finding a MAX Volvo B7TL. Sat at the front upstairs as it was free. Fairly nice bus, although this journey was pretty uneventful. Annoyingly as we were about to head past Sports Direct MAX 7412 appeared on the 35 to Morpeth which of course left before the X20 got into the bus station, so I ended up waiting around 40 minutes for it to return.

1410 X22 Regent Centre - Newcastle (ANE 7501)
As I got the X21 back to Newcastle last time I was in Ashington, I'd thought that I'd get the X22 back today. For a premium quality bus, this didn't sparkle so much, WiFi not working being my main irritation and rattles from the front although nowhere near as bad as the last 57 reg Enviro 400 I rode. I decided to bail at Regent Centre as I became a bit bored with this bus.

1502 X14 Regent Centre - Newcastle (ANE 4659)
This was the first thing to turn up after 7501 left, so I went with it. Must say, this one felt like it had more power than the examples at Darlington do, although it did smell a bit like burning.

1535 X21 Newcastle - Chester-le-Street (GNE 6038)
Pretty standard journey on this, looked rather scruffy inside although at least this has a bit more power than the Pronto branded examples. Decided to alight at Chester-le-Street as I spied 5336 on the 36, so I decided to get a photo.

1612 21 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 6062)
Pretty steady away journey back to Durham, although I had major difficulties connecting to the WiFi (stupid phone!).

1637 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7534)
Much like my journey on 7535 this morning, it was very quiet and once again I was the only passenger sat upstairs. Didn't bother attempting to connect to the WiFi because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

I would like to thank everyone for reading my reviews throughout 2015, hopefully I will vist some new intresting places in 2016, perhaps I may have some outings with other enthusiasts or at least spot some of you whilst out and about, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Happy New Year!
Jimmi
31 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm #3,682

One last review of 2015.

0805 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham (ANE 7535)
A very sparsely loaded bus, only two people on it when I boarded and they were both sat downstairs, so of course I chose the front seat on the drivers side and I had the upstairs to myself for the remainder of the journey.

0910 X24 Durham - MetroCentre (ANE 7609)
Saw this enter Durham Bus Station at around 08:55 showing 'Taking It to the MAX' on the screen and was hoping it was making an unusual appearance on a service, sadly it was operating the X24 which disappointed me, was hoping for a 57 reg Lowlander. Pretty average journey really. Of course, the WiFi was broken!

1127 100 MetroCentre - Newcastle (SNE 22413)
After doing a bit shopping (no one's intrested in hearing more about that!) and a bit bus/rail spotting, I jumped on this to Newcastle. This felt pretty slow, it has to be said. After what felt like forever, we arrived in Newcastle.

1230 X20 Newcastle - Ashington (ANE 7470)
Got this up to Ashington in the hope of finding a MAX Volvo B7TL. Sat at the front upstairs as it was free. Fairly nice bus, although this journey was pretty uneventful. Annoyingly as we were about to head past Sports Direct MAX 7412 appeared on the 35 to Morpeth which of course left before the X20 got into the bus station, so I ended up waiting around 40 minutes for it to return.

1410 X22 Regent Centre - Newcastle (ANE 7501)
As I got the X21 back to Newcastle last time I was in Ashington, I'd thought that I'd get the X22 back today. For a premium quality bus, this didn't sparkle so much, WiFi not working being my main irritation and rattles from the front although nowhere near as bad as the last 57 reg Enviro 400 I rode. I decided to bail at Regent Centre as I became a bit bored with this bus.

1502 X14 Regent Centre - Newcastle (ANE 4659)
This was the first thing to turn up after 7501 left, so I went with it. Must say, this one felt like it had more power than the examples at Darlington do, although it did smell a bit like burning.

1535 X21 Newcastle - Chester-le-Street (GNE 6038)
Pretty standard journey on this, looked rather scruffy inside although at least this has a bit more power than the Pronto branded examples. Decided to alight at Chester-le-Street as I spied 5336 on the 36, so I decided to get a photo.

1612 21 Chester-le-Street - Durham (GNE 6062)
Pretty steady away journey back to Durham, although I had major difficulties connecting to the WiFi (stupid phone!).

1637 7 Durham - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7534)
Much like my journey on 7535 this morning, it was very quiet and once again I was the only passenger sat upstairs. Didn't bother attempting to connect to the WiFi because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

I would like to thank everyone for reading my reviews throughout 2015, hopefully I will vist some new intresting places in 2016, perhaps I may have some outings with other enthusiasts or at least spot some of you whilst out and about, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Happy New Year!

Jimmi

05 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm #3,683
Tomorrow I will be venturing up to Sunderland, unsure as to where else I will end up. Hoping that there will be a Drifter StreetLite out on the 700 again.

On Saturday I will be making my first trip up to Alnwick.
Jimmi
05 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm #3,683

Tomorrow I will be venturing up to Sunderland, unsure as to where else I will end up. Hoping that there will be a Drifter StreetLite out on the 700 again.

05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm #3,684
(05 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm)Jimmi Tomorrow I will be venturing up to Sunderland, unsure as to where else I will end up. Hoping that there will be a Drifter StreetLite out on the 700 again.

If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

I'm told that they've been hanging around there a lot recently. Be careful, Jimmi.  Smile
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm #3,684

(05 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm)Jimmi Tomorrow I will be venturing up to Sunderland, unsure as to where else I will end up. Hoping that there will be a Drifter StreetLite out on the 700 again.

If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

I'm told that they've been hanging around there a lot recently. Be careful, Jimmi.  Smile

Jimmi

05 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm #3,685
(05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm)GX03 SVC If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

Right okay, I'll bare that in mind.
Jimmi
05 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm #3,685

(05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm)GX03 SVC If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

Right okay, I'll bare that in mind.

05 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm #3,686
(05 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm)Jimmi Right okay, I'll bare that in mind.

Forgot to mention that they do target the enthusiasts or anyone who looks vulnerable. They did with my next door neighbour's daughter and as far as I'm aware they've been moved to the Alnwick area.

Try and find some other places in Alnwick. The place has maps and signage to the bus station so you won't get lost haha.
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm #3,686

(05 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm)Jimmi Right okay, I'll bare that in mind.

Forgot to mention that they do target the enthusiasts or anyone who looks vulnerable. They did with my next door neighbour's daughter and as far as I'm aware they've been moved to the Alnwick area.

Try and find some other places in Alnwick. The place has maps and signage to the bus station so you won't get lost haha.

Jimmi

05 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm #3,687
(05 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm)GX03 SVC Forgot to mention that they do target the enthusiasts or anyone who looks vulnerable. They did with my next door neighbour's daughter and as far as I'm aware they've been moved to the Alnwick area.

Well I'm screwed as I fall into both of those categories, what action could they potentially take?

I should be heading up there with another enthusiast.
Jimmi
05 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm #3,687

(05 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm)GX03 SVC Forgot to mention that they do target the enthusiasts or anyone who looks vulnerable. They did with my next door neighbour's daughter and as far as I'm aware they've been moved to the Alnwick area.

Well I'm screwed as I fall into both of those categories, what action could they potentially take?

MurdnunoC

05 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm #3,688
(05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm)GX03 SVC If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

These young lads must have a stash of Explorer or Arriva Day Tickets if their sole purpose in life is to harass enthusiasts at bus stations situated around 20 miles apart from each other.
MurdnunoC
05 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm #3,688

(05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm)GX03 SVC If any young lads (15/16/17yo) at the bus station start being abusive or anything call 101. They're known to police in both Ashington and Alnwick. 

These young lads must have a stash of Explorer or Arriva Day Tickets if their sole purpose in life is to harass enthusiasts at bus stations situated around 20 miles apart from each other.

05 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm #3,689
(05 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm)MurdnunoC These young lads must have a stash of Explorer or Arriva Day Tickets if their sole purpose in life is to harass enthusiasts at bus stations situated around 20 miles apart from each other.

Err no, I've seen them harassing enthusiasts (or someone merely taking photos) and other vulnerable people before. Then they claim that the victim has called their mother a sl**. 

A few people approached me after the incident at Alnwick and said that many more people had been harassed in the Alnwick area over the last couple of months...
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm #3,689

(05 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm)MurdnunoC These young lads must have a stash of Explorer or Arriva Day Tickets if their sole purpose in life is to harass enthusiasts at bus stations situated around 20 miles apart from each other.

Err no, I've seen them harassing enthusiasts (or someone merely taking photos) and other vulnerable people before. Then they claim that the victim has called their mother a sl**. 

A few people approached me after the incident at Alnwick and said that many more people had been harassed in the Alnwick area over the last couple of months...

05 Jan 2016, 9:21 pm #3,690
(05 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm)Jimmi Well I'm screwed as I fall into both of those categories, what action could they potentially take?

Ill drop you a PM, so we don't go further off topic.  Smile
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 9:21 pm #3,690

(05 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm)Jimmi Well I'm screwed as I fall into both of those categories, what action could they potentially take?

Ill drop you a PM, so we don't go further off topic.  Smile

MurdnunoC

05 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm #3,691
(05 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm)GX03 SVC Err no, I've seen them harassing enthusiasts (or someone merely taking photos) and other vulnerable people before. Then they claim that the victim has called their mother a sl**. 

Ah, so they're all siblings. 

If you're getting harassed, call 101, they'll sort it out...
MurdnunoC
05 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm #3,691

(05 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm)GX03 SVC Err no, I've seen them harassing enthusiasts (or someone merely taking photos) and other vulnerable people before. Then they claim that the victim has called their mother a sl**. 

Ah, so they're all siblings. 

05 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm #3,692
(05 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm)MurdnunoC Ah, so they're all siblings. 

Yes. Known to everyone...banned from everywhere...
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm #3,692

(05 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm)MurdnunoC Ah, so they're all siblings. 

Yes. Known to everyone...banned from everywhere...

Davie

Banned

05 Jan 2016, 9:51 pm #3,693
(05 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm)GX03 SVC Yes. Known to everyone...banned from everywhere...
Let's hope they keep away from cling on corner....
Davie
05 Jan 2016, 9:51 pm #3,693

(05 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm)GX03 SVC Yes. Known to everyone...banned from everywhere...
Let's hope they keep away from cling on corner....

Andreos1

05 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm #3,694

The only issue I have ever seen in Alnwick bus station, was the school kids at kicking out time.
The place decended into chaos for the time I was there.
A few older blokes seemed to be chatting to some lasses in school uniform.

Apart from that, nowt.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm #3,694

The only issue I have ever seen in Alnwick bus station, was the school kids at kicking out time.
The place decended into chaos for the time I was there.
A few older blokes seemed to be chatting to some lasses in school uniform.

Apart from that, nowt.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Jimmi

06 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm #3,695

That plan got binned when I woke up at around 07:00 this morning and felt half dead and the bathroom was freezing, so I made the decision to go back to bed and only woke up around 15 minutes ago, although it was nice to get a decent sleep as I've been struggling to get toa decent nights sleep recently, last night I had the temptation to view my phone once I went to bed, also most nights for a while now I've been waking up usually between 3-4am. Aiming to do Sunderland sometime night week now.
Jimmi
06 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm #3,695

That plan got binned when I woke up at around 07:00 this morning and felt half dead and the bathroom was freezing, so I made the decision to go back to bed and only woke up around 15 minutes ago, although it was nice to get a decent sleep as I've been struggling to get toa decent nights sleep recently, last night I had the temptation to view my phone once I went to bed, also most nights for a while now I've been waking up usually between 3-4am. Aiming to do Sunderland sometime night week now.

BusLoverMum

06 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm #3,696

Big'un would say that this is where having your mum, complete with resting bitch face, as a minder, is useful Wink
BusLoverMum
06 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm #3,696

Big'un would say that this is where having your mum, complete with resting bitch face, as a minder, is useful Wink

09 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm #3,697
Today, I made yet another "kill time" outing.

I had intentions of catching a MAX-spec ex-Arriva London North Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini for quite a while, as they will become the allocation for service 35 for a short while. 

I left the house and walked up to my nearest 35 stop, Hirst Park. I saw a MAX-spec Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini approaching, this was 7415 was had entered service that morning. 

1220 #35A - Hirst Park to Morpeth Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7415
I was delighted that this vehicle had arrived. First impression were that the exterior looked smart, but inside was a different story. I sat upstairs at the front, not a lot of legroom. Then I saw a very bad repaint to the windowsill. See the latest Arriva thread for more. The seats were rock solid and had damage visible to the eye. The bus looked clean at a quick glance, but then I realised dirt everywhere I looked. The black flooring was worn down too. The handrails were painted in a tacky silver paint, badly, so all the grooves in the handrail were visible. The people sat on the other seats said that the bus was an old heap, and the green buses [the StreetLites] were much nicer. I then felt water dripping onto me, and other passengers were heard discussing that too. The entire of the ceiling had water dripping, more so towards the middle. The vehicle was very underpowered, and felt badly maintained. When alighting, I noticed the downstairs had flooded, with a large amount of water splashing up and down the lower deck. Nice, eh? Completely lost the "new bus" perception that enthusiasts think that passengers think. 

1245 #2 - Morpeth Bus Station to Morpeth Railway Station - Arriva Northumbria 7458
To keep with the theme of ex-London vehicles, I boarded this instead of walking. I only had 4 minutes until the train departed, but I had an iPad for entertainment. 7458 was never refurbished when transferred to Northumbria, so the original 2002 (aquamarine, white and yellow) spec seats were still here. It will be a shame when these leave the fleet. This is the only T-FGN example left, so it'll probably be my first and last ride on it. A short while later, I arrived at the railway station. 

I had heard the squeals of the Pacer going around the Morpeth Curve, so I then decided to go to the Sainsbury's Local nearby to get some drinks.

1409 2A13 - Morpeth [MPT] to Newcastle [NCL] - Northern Rail 142089
So, I stood ready for the train at 1345. It arrived on time heading for the Barmoor sidings. The through Virgin Trains East Coast service whizzed through, on time, at 1345. But no trains passed through that would have be delayed by 2A13... Twenty minutes later, 142089 emerged from the sidings. I boarded and sat in the rear carriage, towards the cab. As I was expecting the fare to be high I had a £20 note, I asked for a Child Return to Newcastle and presented my £20 and the female conductor tutted, and then when she said the fare was £3.35, I got the £5 note out. Even then she failed to find sufficient change without me having to hold my hand out and for her to drop coins into it. 10p after 10p, she then dug into her pockets and drops a 5p into my hand, then into her other pocket and then a £1. I would still be there if I didn't have the £5 note.  Big Grin  

The ride was as bouncy and squealy as ever, of course, resident Pacer Chaser Lee Calder would disagree with my comment that Pacers are the worst heaps of crap ever built... 

To my surprise - four members of staff were manning the train instead of the usual two. Did someone forget about the engineering works...?! 

I spent a couple of hours at Central, I saw 91128. Which my brother reports he also saw on the way to the Life centre with his workers. I took a few photos and then went to Costa for a hot chocolate. 

1617 2A26 - Newcastle [NCL] to Morpeth [MPT] - Northern Rail 142019
142019 was my ride back to Morpeth. Information flyers about the major disruption on the Tyne Valley were on the seats, and everyone on board were reading them. It was dark so there wasn't much to look at, so I sat and played on the iPad. 

On arrival at Morpeth, I walked down to the bus station where I saw 1580 depart on a short North Seaton 35 working. I let 1579 go as I was tucking into a portion of chips. 

I saw an Ashington-Morpeth driver on the X15, who got off and had a friendly chat to me, before he headed to Alnwick, where an Ashington-Alnwick driver would take over for the last leg to Berwick.

1712 #35A - Morpeth Bus Station to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7485
I boarded yet another ex-London vehicle, I was welcomed aboard by the driver who asked where I had been today. 7485 is fitted with WiFi and high-back 2010 (blue squares) spec seating, from its days as a X93 summer extra vehicle. Back in them days, it was thought that these would be MAX'd, then "mini-MAX"'d, but there is no nickname for a bog standard Arriva bus with WiFi!!
omnicity4659
09 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm #3,697

Today, I made yet another "kill time" outing.

I had intentions of catching a MAX-spec ex-Arriva London North Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini for quite a while, as they will become the allocation for service 35 for a short while. 

I left the house and walked up to my nearest 35 stop, Hirst Park. I saw a MAX-spec Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini approaching, this was 7415 was had entered service that morning. 

1220 #35A - Hirst Park to Morpeth Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7415
I was delighted that this vehicle had arrived. First impression were that the exterior looked smart, but inside was a different story. I sat upstairs at the front, not a lot of legroom. Then I saw a very bad repaint to the windowsill. See the latest Arriva thread for more. The seats were rock solid and had damage visible to the eye. The bus looked clean at a quick glance, but then I realised dirt everywhere I looked. The black flooring was worn down too. The handrails were painted in a tacky silver paint, badly, so all the grooves in the handrail were visible. The people sat on the other seats said that the bus was an old heap, and the green buses [the StreetLites] were much nicer. I then felt water dripping onto me, and other passengers were heard discussing that too. The entire of the ceiling had water dripping, more so towards the middle. The vehicle was very underpowered, and felt badly maintained. When alighting, I noticed the downstairs had flooded, with a large amount of water splashing up and down the lower deck. Nice, eh? Completely lost the "new bus" perception that enthusiasts think that passengers think. 

1245 #2 - Morpeth Bus Station to Morpeth Railway Station - Arriva Northumbria 7458
To keep with the theme of ex-London vehicles, I boarded this instead of walking. I only had 4 minutes until the train departed, but I had an iPad for entertainment. 7458 was never refurbished when transferred to Northumbria, so the original 2002 (aquamarine, white and yellow) spec seats were still here. It will be a shame when these leave the fleet. This is the only T-FGN example left, so it'll probably be my first and last ride on it. A short while later, I arrived at the railway station. 

I had heard the squeals of the Pacer going around the Morpeth Curve, so I then decided to go to the Sainsbury's Local nearby to get some drinks.

1409 2A13 - Morpeth [MPT] to Newcastle [NCL] - Northern Rail 142089
So, I stood ready for the train at 1345. It arrived on time heading for the Barmoor sidings. The through Virgin Trains East Coast service whizzed through, on time, at 1345. But no trains passed through that would have be delayed by 2A13... Twenty minutes later, 142089 emerged from the sidings. I boarded and sat in the rear carriage, towards the cab. As I was expecting the fare to be high I had a £20 note, I asked for a Child Return to Newcastle and presented my £20 and the female conductor tutted, and then when she said the fare was £3.35, I got the £5 note out. Even then she failed to find sufficient change without me having to hold my hand out and for her to drop coins into it. 10p after 10p, she then dug into her pockets and drops a 5p into my hand, then into her other pocket and then a £1. I would still be there if I didn't have the £5 note.  Big Grin  

The ride was as bouncy and squealy as ever, of course, resident Pacer Chaser Lee Calder would disagree with my comment that Pacers are the worst heaps of crap ever built... 

To my surprise - four members of staff were manning the train instead of the usual two. Did someone forget about the engineering works...?! 

I spent a couple of hours at Central, I saw 91128. Which my brother reports he also saw on the way to the Life centre with his workers. I took a few photos and then went to Costa for a hot chocolate. 

1617 2A26 - Newcastle [NCL] to Morpeth [MPT] - Northern Rail 142019
142019 was my ride back to Morpeth. Information flyers about the major disruption on the Tyne Valley were on the seats, and everyone on board were reading them. It was dark so there wasn't much to look at, so I sat and played on the iPad. 

On arrival at Morpeth, I walked down to the bus station where I saw 1580 depart on a short North Seaton 35 working. I let 1579 go as I was tucking into a portion of chips. 

I saw an Ashington-Morpeth driver on the X15, who got off and had a friendly chat to me, before he headed to Alnwick, where an Ashington-Alnwick driver would take over for the last leg to Berwick.

1712 #35A - Morpeth Bus Station to Ashington Bus Station - Arriva Northumbria 7485
I boarded yet another ex-London vehicle, I was welcomed aboard by the driver who asked where I had been today. 7485 is fitted with WiFi and high-back 2010 (blue squares) spec seating, from its days as a X93 summer extra vehicle. Back in them days, it was thought that these would be MAX'd, then "mini-MAX"'d, but there is no nickname for a bog standard Arriva bus with WiFi!!

Charles41

11 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm #3,698
I was planning to travel to Consett on Saturday and walk over the moors to Stanhope. However a mixture of bad weather and family commitments meant I had to change my plans. I was free in the afternoon so decided to take a little unplanned trip out.

My first bus of the day was from Eldon Square to Newcastle Airport. This was Stagecoach MAN 22037, a Slatyford based vehicle working the 12.25 X78. This was a well used service, with most people going to Ponteland. The journey took just over 15 minutes and was a good trash through the rainsoaked suburbs of Newcastle. The windows were all misted up and everyone seemed to have the New Year blues.

I alighted opposite the main entrance to the airport and headed to the terminal building. Here I was able to spot vehicles owned by Newcastle Park & Fly Limited. Doing the rounds were two new Vauxhall Movanos which have been fitted with extra space for luggage, carrying 8 passengers. Also present were a couple of the company’s MANs, BUS3 and BUS4. BUS4 (MX59KUE) has Plaxton bodywork and looked smart in the airport’s purple branding. Also present here was a new Mercedes minicoach belonging to Green Mountain Travel, YN65AXE. As with all Green Mountain vehicles, the standard of presentation was very high.

I did not stay too long at the airport, after a brief exploration of the car parks in search of more buses I decided to catch the 13.19 Nexus service 353. This secured service is contracted to GNE and was operated by Riverside’s Solo 637. Unlike my previous journey, this bus was virtually empty. In addition to myself, there were two old ladies going shopping at Kingston Park. It was a good ride though and we soon arrived in Kingston Park as the weather improved.

At Kingston Park I set off in search of the depot of IMS Medical. This private ambulance company had it’s garage listed as being on the Airport Industrial Estate. I was hoping to get some photos of their 8-seat Volkswagen Transporters which are used for patient transport duties. Unfortunately when I found their garage unit it appeared to be disused. Undeterred, I walked to the shops and waited for the X47 back into the City Centre.

This soon arrived in the shape of Alexander Dennis bodied MAN 22413, another Slatyford based bus. This service was busy and despite being an X picked up passengers at virtually every stop. The bus was more than two thirds full when we left Cowgate and hit the motorway section. This was a good bit of haulage back into town. I noticed as we emerged from the bypass near Northumbria University that their Dart was parked up outside the West campus building. I decided to see if I could get some photos of this bus which I previously thought had been disposed of.

At John Dobson Street I got off the X47 and after a brisk few minutes walk over the motorway bridge I arrived at the campus. On the way I passed the remains of former nightclub IKON which has now mainly been demolished. My partner says she had some of her best nights out there and is gutted that it has gone. Personally I thought it was overpriced and full of loud-mouthed chavs. At the campus I quickly located the service yard and had no problems getting some photos of the Dart which has now been re-registered back to SK07HMO. I then walked over the newish footbridge which links the West campus to the main campus area. Here I checked out the service yard behind Ellison Place where the university parks it’s vans and Ford Transit minibuses, only vans were present on this visit though.

I’d heard there were rail replacement buses working out of Newcastle Central Station. So after getting some shopping in town, decided to have a walk down there. The Central Station was an absolute goldmine. There were vehicles present from Tyne Valley Coaches, Durham City Coaches, Thirwells, Garfield and Gardners NMC to name just a few. The scene was very busy with coaches coming and going every few minutes. I was able to get some brilliant photos despite the location being organised chaos with bewildered passengers seeking their correct bus. Also present nearby were 3 of GNE’s Tridents which are adapted for the DFDS working. I was able to get cracking photos of these.

I stayed in the Central Station area until 4 o’clock when the lack of light made taking photos more difficult. I’d read in the latest Notices and Proceedings that Parkers Executive Chauffeurs Limited are upgrading from a restricted to a standard international O-Licence. This company has it’s operating centre at the Copthorne Hotel. I therefore took a short walk down to the Quayside past the Centre for Life. Parked on the Copthorne forecourt was a new Mercedes Sprinter LL15UVT which has an all-over silver livery with blacked out windows. It was dark now so I could not get any decent photos of this smart vehicle.

I then walked past what used to be my favourite nightclub, the Cooperage. I used to love going and had so many great nights out there. My partner hated the place; she thought it was boring and full of old men. My final bus of the day was GNE Versa 8337 working the 16.27 Q2. I caught this next to the Guildhall on the Quayside. The Quayside was coming alive with people starting their nights out when I reached the Guildhall. The view of the illuminated Millennium Bridge and the Sage from the Swing Bridge was most impressive. The service was quiet until reaching Gateshead. It filled up here after a noisy thrash up the bank and was busy all the way to Low Fell. From here I made my way to my dad’s house buying him pie and chips on the way.

It was a good afternoon’s outing given that I had no set idea where I wanted to go. I went to the Central Station again yesterday lunch time and got some more cracking photos. I’m going to try again next weekend, I believe the rail replacement coaches will be running again then.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles
Charles41
11 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm #3,698

I was planning to travel to Consett on Saturday and walk over the moors to Stanhope. However a mixture of bad weather and family commitments meant I had to change my plans. I was free in the afternoon so decided to take a little unplanned trip out.

My first bus of the day was from Eldon Square to Newcastle Airport. This was Stagecoach MAN 22037, a Slatyford based vehicle working the 12.25 X78. This was a well used service, with most people going to Ponteland. The journey took just over 15 minutes and was a good trash through the rainsoaked suburbs of Newcastle. The windows were all misted up and everyone seemed to have the New Year blues.

I alighted opposite the main entrance to the airport and headed to the terminal building. Here I was able to spot vehicles owned by Newcastle Park & Fly Limited. Doing the rounds were two new Vauxhall Movanos which have been fitted with extra space for luggage, carrying 8 passengers. Also present were a couple of the company’s MANs, BUS3 and BUS4. BUS4 (MX59KUE) has Plaxton bodywork and looked smart in the airport’s purple branding. Also present here was a new Mercedes minicoach belonging to Green Mountain Travel, YN65AXE. As with all Green Mountain vehicles, the standard of presentation was very high.

I did not stay too long at the airport, after a brief exploration of the car parks in search of more buses I decided to catch the 13.19 Nexus service 353. This secured service is contracted to GNE and was operated by Riverside’s Solo 637. Unlike my previous journey, this bus was virtually empty. In addition to myself, there were two old ladies going shopping at Kingston Park. It was a good ride though and we soon arrived in Kingston Park as the weather improved.

At Kingston Park I set off in search of the depot of IMS Medical. This private ambulance company had it’s garage listed as being on the Airport Industrial Estate. I was hoping to get some photos of their 8-seat Volkswagen Transporters which are used for patient transport duties. Unfortunately when I found their garage unit it appeared to be disused. Undeterred, I walked to the shops and waited for the X47 back into the City Centre.

This soon arrived in the shape of Alexander Dennis bodied MAN 22413, another Slatyford based bus. This service was busy and despite being an X picked up passengers at virtually every stop. The bus was more than two thirds full when we left Cowgate and hit the motorway section. This was a good bit of haulage back into town. I noticed as we emerged from the bypass near Northumbria University that their Dart was parked up outside the West campus building. I decided to see if I could get some photos of this bus which I previously thought had been disposed of.

At John Dobson Street I got off the X47 and after a brisk few minutes walk over the motorway bridge I arrived at the campus. On the way I passed the remains of former nightclub IKON which has now mainly been demolished. My partner says she had some of her best nights out there and is gutted that it has gone. Personally I thought it was overpriced and full of loud-mouthed chavs. At the campus I quickly located the service yard and had no problems getting some photos of the Dart which has now been re-registered back to SK07HMO. I then walked over the newish footbridge which links the West campus to the main campus area. Here I checked out the service yard behind Ellison Place where the university parks it’s vans and Ford Transit minibuses, only vans were present on this visit though.

I’d heard there were rail replacement buses working out of Newcastle Central Station. So after getting some shopping in town, decided to have a walk down there. The Central Station was an absolute goldmine. There were vehicles present from Tyne Valley Coaches, Durham City Coaches, Thirwells, Garfield and Gardners NMC to name just a few. The scene was very busy with coaches coming and going every few minutes. I was able to get some brilliant photos despite the location being organised chaos with bewildered passengers seeking their correct bus. Also present nearby were 3 of GNE’s Tridents which are adapted for the DFDS working. I was able to get cracking photos of these.

I stayed in the Central Station area until 4 o’clock when the lack of light made taking photos more difficult. I’d read in the latest Notices and Proceedings that Parkers Executive Chauffeurs Limited are upgrading from a restricted to a standard international O-Licence. This company has it’s operating centre at the Copthorne Hotel. I therefore took a short walk down to the Quayside past the Centre for Life. Parked on the Copthorne forecourt was a new Mercedes Sprinter LL15UVT which has an all-over silver livery with blacked out windows. It was dark now so I could not get any decent photos of this smart vehicle.

I then walked past what used to be my favourite nightclub, the Cooperage. I used to love going and had so many great nights out there. My partner hated the place; she thought it was boring and full of old men. My final bus of the day was GNE Versa 8337 working the 16.27 Q2. I caught this next to the Guildhall on the Quayside. The Quayside was coming alive with people starting their nights out when I reached the Guildhall. The view of the illuminated Millennium Bridge and the Sage from the Swing Bridge was most impressive. The service was quiet until reaching Gateshead. It filled up here after a noisy thrash up the bank and was busy all the way to Low Fell. From here I made my way to my dad’s house buying him pie and chips on the way.

It was a good afternoon’s outing given that I had no set idea where I wanted to go. I went to the Central Station again yesterday lunch time and got some more cracking photos. I’m going to try again next weekend, I believe the rail replacement coaches will be running again then.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles

Jimmi

11 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm #3,699
Don't feel up to writing a detailed review like usual, so here is a log of the journeys I made on Saturday.

0705 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7535)
0750 X12 Durham Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square (ANE 1441)
0933 X15 Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Alnwick Bus Station (ANE 7515)
1228 X20 Alnwick Bus Station - Ashington Bus Station (ANE 7475)
1404 57 Ashington Bus Station - Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops (ANE 1761)
1450 43 Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops - Morpeth Bus Station (ANE 4522)
1536 X14 Morpeth Bus Station - Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station (ANE 7512)
1620 X12 Newcastle Eldon Square - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7627)
1722 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)

You may remember many months ago Alex Garwood asked if I would meet up with him, I finally decided as we both wanted to head up to Alnwick, we might as well both head up there. Was quite a decent outing and it did make a nice change having someone to talk to on one of my outings especially as I haven't seen many enthusiasts about recently, although I did see Dan in Gateshead the day before and have spotted Kuyoyo on numerous occasions recently, guess where?

My next outing is likely to be on Friday, but I am unsure whether to head to Sunderland like I originally planned to do last week or head to Hexham. On Saturday I am looking to snap rail replacement services in Darlington and/or Durham. Next Monday I will be venturing to Middlesbrough to snap the new Croft Coach Travel service 30, unsure as to where else I will end up yet, we'll see on the day. I am looking to do something with the Transdev Harrogate & District service 36 which is due to receive new StreetDeck's in the upcoming weeks, looking into the possibility of doing Ripon, Harrogate and Leeds in one day although that will come down to time and costs for the day.
Jimmi
11 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm #3,699

Don't feel up to writing a detailed review like usual, so here is a log of the journeys I made on Saturday.

0705 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7535)
0750 X12 Durham Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square (ANE 1441)
0933 X15 Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Alnwick Bus Station (ANE 7515)
1228 X20 Alnwick Bus Station - Ashington Bus Station (ANE 7475)
1404 57 Ashington Bus Station - Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops (ANE 1761)
1450 43 Cramlington, Dudley Lane Shops - Morpeth Bus Station (ANE 4522)
1536 X14 Morpeth Bus Station - Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station (ANE 7512)
1620 X12 Newcastle Eldon Square - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7627)
1722 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7536)

You may remember many months ago Alex Garwood asked if I would meet up with him, I finally decided as we both wanted to head up to Alnwick, we might as well both head up there. Was quite a decent outing and it did make a nice change having someone to talk to on one of my outings especially as I haven't seen many enthusiasts about recently, although I did see Dan in Gateshead the day before and have spotted Kuyoyo on numerous occasions recently, guess where?

My next outing is likely to be on Friday, but I am unsure whether to head to Sunderland like I originally planned to do last week or head to Hexham. On Saturday I am looking to snap rail replacement services in Darlington and/or Durham. Next Monday I will be venturing to Middlesbrough to snap the new Croft Coach Travel service 30, unsure as to where else I will end up yet, we'll see on the day. I am looking to do something with the Transdev Harrogate & District service 36 which is due to receive new StreetDeck's in the upcoming weeks, looking into the possibility of doing Ripon, Harrogate and Leeds in one day although that will come down to time and costs for the day.

Kuyoyo

11 Jan 2016, 8:59 pm #3,700
(11 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm)Jimmi My next outing is likely to be on Friday, but I am unsure whether to head to Sunderland like I originally planned to do last week or head to Hexham. On Saturday I am looking to snap rail replacement services in Darlington and/or Durham. Next Monday I will be venturing to Middlesbrough to snap the new Croft Coach Travel service 30, unsure as to where else I will end up yet, we'll see on the day. I am looking to do something with the Transdev Harrogate & District service 36 which is due to receive new StreetDeck's in the upcoming weeks, looking into the possibility of doing Ripon, Harrogate and Leeds in one day although that will come down to time and costs for the day.

Just a point - the new deckers for the 36 are B5TLs not Streetdecks.
Kuyoyo
11 Jan 2016, 8:59 pm #3,700

(11 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm)Jimmi My next outing is likely to be on Friday, but I am unsure whether to head to Sunderland like I originally planned to do last week or head to Hexham. On Saturday I am looking to snap rail replacement services in Darlington and/or Durham. Next Monday I will be venturing to Middlesbrough to snap the new Croft Coach Travel service 30, unsure as to where else I will end up yet, we'll see on the day. I am looking to do something with the Transdev Harrogate & District service 36 which is due to receive new StreetDeck's in the upcoming weeks, looking into the possibility of doing Ripon, Harrogate and Leeds in one day although that will come down to time and costs for the day.

Just a point - the new deckers for the 36 are B5TLs not Streetdecks.

Pages (239) Previous 1184 185 186239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average