You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016
(18 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm)DanPicken wrote Another Hybrid on X9.
1774-44.

There's a 308 hybrid on the X8 now (7801), though I imagine it's one of the ones which was on the X9 and X10/X11 earlier. Never caught their numbers to check.

That's a 308 hybrid spotted on every Blyth-Newcastle route today except the X7; I'm close to bingo!
(18 Feb 2016, 10:22 am)Multi21 wrote Stockton Sapphire Spare 1512 is going on 64A covering Redcars 4721

Now back parked in Stockton depot
(18 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm)cbma06 wrote 7519 6 branded on service 22, 14:07 from Sunderland

Big'un will be disappointed you got there first Wink

It's gone out for another round trip, for anyone wanting to catch it - 15:37 from Durham.
(18 Feb 2016, 11:44 am)Smarty93 wrote Frequenta 2843 on X66/7

Now been replaced by 1427
7477 on the Sapphire 6. Cool Exclamation
VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2 & Scania CN94UB/Scania Omnicity. Smile Heart
Whitby P&R on 64a.
It didnt lose its roof last week as feared.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Feb 2016, 5:27 pm)passenger_10 wrote It still is, 1580 is also on X21/X22.
... The E400's, while Sapphire standard cosmetically, certainly aren't of that standard mechanically it seems...
(18 Feb 2016, 5:56 pm)mb134 wrote ... The E400's, while Sapphire standard cosmetically, certainly aren't of that standard mechanically it seems...
Especially the 57-reg ones!
(18 Feb 2016, 6:04 pm)Davie wrote Especially the 57-reg ones!

Only a matter of time before Arriva end up having to draft MAX deckers in from elsewhere unless any are ordered this year! Wonder which buses would win in a drag race between Crook's Pronto B7s and Ashington's 57 plate Sapphire E400s.
1427 on the X66/X67. Wink Exclamation
VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2 & Scania CN94UB/Scania Omnicity. Smile Heart
(18 Feb 2016, 6:24 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Only a matter of time before Arriva end up having to draft MAX deckers in from elsewhere unless any are ordered this year! Wonder which buses would win in a drag race between Crook's Pronto B7s and Ashington's 57 plate Sapphire E400s.

Think I'd still go with the E400, the last time I saw one of the 'Pronto' vehicles, it looked like it wanted to just give up,

Though I agree, Arriva need to take a serious look at the X21/22 stock, Streetlites have been on there for the past three days (and more than one on each day, according to posts on here), which is unacceptable.
(18 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm)mb134 wrote Think I'd still go with the E400, the last time I saw one of the 'Pronto' vehicles, it looked like it wanted to just give up,

Tbh they all look like that.
(18 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm)Lee wrote 1427 on the X66/X67. Wink Exclamation

Eventually replaced 2843

In other news 1906 could have spent it's last day in Darlington today (will confirm tomorrow) as it was replaced by 1414 on the 12/12A around 3pm
(18 Feb 2016, 10:22 am)Multi21 wrote Stockton Sapphire Spare 1512 is going on 64A covering Redcars 4721

Only did one trip before it got hauled off. It replaced 1554 on 5s at 1320.

1430 on 22/64, 1439 on 81
(18 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm)mb134 wrote Think I'd still go with the E400, the last time I saw one of the 'Pronto' vehicles, it looked like it wanted to just give up,

Though I agree, Arriva need to take a serious look at the X21/22 stock, Streetlites have been on there for the past three days (and more than one on each day, according to posts on here), which is unacceptable.

Ashington are back at square one with these stupid E400s, approaching 1 1/2 years since the problems started. Thank goodness that there is similar spec vehicles that can be used to keep the service with the standard of WiFi.

The X20 should be fully MAX until tomorrow, after the free vouchers are no longer valid, sadly over the last couple of weeks, this means that long-haul services like the X15/8 suffer when they want a full MAX allocation on the X20.
(19 Feb 2016, 12:31 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Ashington are back at square one with these stupid E400s, approaching 1 1/2 years since the problems started. Thank goodness that there is similar spec vehicles that can be used to keep the service with the standard of WiFi.

The X20 should be fully MAX until tomorrow, after the free vouchers are no longer valid, sadly over the last couple of weeks, this means that long-haul services like the X15/8 suffer when they want a full MAX allocation on the X20.

Is it the Engines that are playing up? The Euro 4 Cummins in the 57s are rubbish at Heavy Demanding work ( Which most have done all their lives )
The Euro 5s are however a lot more Robust and can handle anything.

Is that why DAFs have been sighted on the X18 recently?
(18 Feb 2016, 5:28 pm)Cock Robin wrote 1105, 1561,4513 all on 63s.

1105 was on 64s earlier.

Noted an X3/X4 branded vehicle approaching Greytones Roundabout about 15mins after you posted this.
No idea if it was the same one.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(19 Feb 2016, 12:31 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Ashington are back at square one with these stupid E400s, approaching 1 1/2 years since the problems started. Thank goodness that there is similar spec vehicles that can be used to keep the service with the standard of WiFi.

I think its time for Arriva to bite the bullet and buy 9 brand new E400's for the X21/22, to go alongside 7522-8. These reliability issues will just get worse as the 57-reg ones get older (if they're this bad at 8 years old, imagine them in a couple of years!), and that isn't great for a 'premium' service is it?!

It's also time for Arriva to buy vehicles suited to the routes they'll be allocated to. Lets not forget that, soon after the E400's were bought for the X31/2/3, 10+ year old Olympians were still appearing at a higher frequency than they should have been, and for a year or two prior to their withdrawal, they made up pretty much the full allocation.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't think the X21/22 justifies brand new vehicles, I suggest you take a ride on any of the peak time runs, and try to find a seat.
(19 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm)mb134 wrote I think its time for Arriva to bite the bullet and buy 9 brand new E400's for the X21/22, to go alongside 7522-8. These reliability issues will just get worse as the 57-reg ones get older (if they're this bad at 8 years old, imagine them in a couple of years!), and that isn't great for a 'premium' service is it?!

It's also time for Arriva to buy vehicles suited to the routes they'll be allocated to. Lets not forget that, soon after the E400's were bought for the X31/2/3, 10+ year old Olympians were still appearing at a higher frequency than they should have been, and for a year or two prior to their withdrawal, they made up pretty much the full allocation.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't think the X21/22 justifies brand new vehicles, I suggest you take a ride on any of the peak time runs, and try to find a seat.

Thought it was a bit silly to put 7 year old buses on a 'premium quality' branded service.

The thing with passenger numbers on the X21/X22 is it probably does very well on the peak time runs but it doesn't seem to carry as much out of peak times based on my experiences of the services, in fact in my experiences of off peak X21/X22's the journeys have often carried less passengers between Newcastle and Ashington than the Sapphire 7 often carries just between Darlington Town Centre and Harrowgate Hill. Mind the same could probably be said for the likes of the X7/X8, X10/X11 and the 308.

The fact that there isn't really anything in the way of appropriate spares for the route doesn't really help matters either, don't know what's worse, a double decker with non of the additional features of the Sapphire buses but has enough seats to carry the passengers or putting the 35 branded StreetLite's on with some of the advertised features but less seats with passengers on the 35/35A getting older lower specification as a result of being allocated elsewhere.

The other issue is where would the Enviro 400's go if they were to take them off the X21/X22? Especially with money being spent on them being refurbished to Sapphire specification.

As much as it is a terrible situation, I think it's just going to continue for a while longer, as I can't see them being taken off the X21/X22 anytime soon. In fact, I think if any service currently in the Sapphire brand within the North East is to receive more new Enviro 400's, it will be the 7.
(19 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm)Jimmi wrote Thought it was a bit silly to put 7 year old buses on a 'premium quality' branded service.

The thing with passenger numbers on the X21/X22 is it probably does very well on the peak time runs but it doesn't seem to carry as much out of peak times based on my experiences of the services, in fact in my experiences of off peak X21/X22's the journeys have often carried less passengers between Newcastle and Ashington than the Sapphire 7 often carries just between Darlington Town Centre and Harrowgate Hill. Mind the same could probably be said for the likes of the X7/X8, X10/X11 and the 308.

The fact that there isn't really anything in the way of appropriate spares for the route doesn't really help matters either, don't know what's worse, a double decker with non of the additional features of the Sapphire buses but has enough seats to carry the passengers or putting the 35 branded StreetLite's on with some of the advertised features but less seats with passengers on the 35/35A getting older lower specification as a result of being allocated elsewhere.

The other issue is where would the Enviro 400's go if they were to take them off the X21/X22? Especially with money being spent on them being refurbished to Sapphire specification.

As much as it is a terrible situation, I think it's just going to continue for a while longer, as I can't see them being taken off the X21/X22 anytime soon. In fact, I think if any service currently in the Sapphire brand within the North East is to receive more new Enviro 400's, it will be the 7.
I know it was half term this week, but on Monday I used the X21 for only the third time since December, and the amount of passengers surprised me. It would have been the 14:54 from Newcastle, and when I boarded in Bedlington, both decks were at least half full.

In my view, they could use the ones that have less problems as spares, however I've got no clue where the worst ones (7501/4 seem to be the main culprits) would go.

In my experiences, peak time on the X21/22 starts earlier and finishes later than most other services. The amount of passengers that get on/off in Bedlington in peak time surprised me, although I guess that is down to the fact most residents there commute to Newcastle to work, with very little on offer in the town itself?