You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016
(13 Mar 2016, 9:55 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Was 1401 retrofitted with a 4 speed?

I'm intrigued about 1401, Never known a Commander have a 4 speed.

It's had one from new, apparently the wrong box was ticked not sure if the wrong boxes were ticked for 1401 or for 1402/1403. Quite possibly for 1402/1403, as the route they were brought for (441 Blyth to Wansbeck Hospital) did have a bit of fast running). But nonetheless they seem to cope well on the Blyth Expresses and give the Geminis a run for their money.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:36 am)BusLoverMum wrote The NSAs are full of bad spelling and worse pronunciation and don't even work on a section of the route that crosses over itself.

"Co tham' and "Bow mont"!
(13 Mar 2016, 2:35 pm)citaro5284 wrote Aye, they know what they are doing  Wink

I was on a Stagecoach 10A/11A went the wrong way round The Oval yesterday! Hope there was no-one waiting.
(13 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm)Adrian wrote Do Stockton not still use 1457-60, 91, 92 & 94 on a Sunday for the X12? Corporate livery, but with WiFi.

I saw 1417 coming into M'bro yesterday on something else, screened up for X12 Durham.
(13 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm)GMitchelhill wrote It's had one from new, apparently the wrong box was ticked not sure if the wrong boxes were ticked for 1401 or for 1402/1403. Quite possibly for 1402/1403, as the route they were brought for (441 Blyth to Wansbeck Hospital) did have a bit of fast running). But nonetheless they seem to cope well on the Blyth Expresses and give the Geminis a run for their money.

Max them for 21A?
(14 Mar 2016, 3:35 pm)Cock Robin wrote Max them for 21A?
I doubt that...
Possibly Ashington for Sapphire spares for the X21/X22 Tongue  (NOT)
Option 1: Stockton to replace cadets
Option 2: Make the 52/53 an eco brand with new streetlites and have them go to Jesmond to support the withdrawal of some B10s like 4517.
Option 3: MAX them and send them to Darlington for 21A.
EDIT: Possibly Belmont for use on the 46, 49 or 64
EDIT 2: Belmont for use on 43 to allow for some lowlanders to be withdrawn or Ashington to be kind of MAXED for the 35
(14 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I doubt that...
Possibly Ashington for Sapphire spares for the X21/X22 (NOT)
Option 2: Make the 52/53 an eco brand with new streetlites and have them go to Jesmond to support the withdrawal of some B10s like 4517.
I can see something else replacing the Cadet's at Stockton. I may be wrong like!

Another option would be Darlington for either the 8/8A or 12/12A, although I think the 8/8A will remain Pulsar operated and one issue is where would you put the two EcoCitys that would be spare (providing all 14 are on the road).

As for Belmont in your edited post, 46 is going MAX using Volvo B7TL/ALX400's and I can see the 49/49A going Frequenta using Solo's, could maybe put them on the 56/57/57A/86 though alongside the Solo's. I think they would be too small for the 43.
(14 Mar 2016, 3:50 pm)Jimmi wrote I can see something else replacing the Cadet's at Stockton. I may be wrong like!

Another option would be Darlington for either the 8/8A or 12/12A, although I think the 8/8A will remain Pulsar operated and one issue is where would you put the two EcoCitys that would be spare (providing all 14 are on the road).

I cannot foresee the 8/8A getting them because of the current buses that operate on it.
(14 Mar 2016, 3:50 pm)Jimmi wrote I can see something else replacing the Cadet's at Stockton. I may be wrong like!

As for Belmont in your edited post, 46 is going MAX using Volvo B7TL/ALX400's and I can see the 49/49A going Frequenta using Solo's, could maybe put them on the 56/57/57A/86 though alongside the Solo's. I think they would be too small for the 43.

Rumour is Stockton will be getting Pulsars from Jesmond to replace the Cadets on 17s. Given the 21A is currently allocated Pulsars, I can't see it going Commander.
(14 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Rumour is Stockton will be getting Pulsars from Jesmond to replace the Cadets on 17s. Given the 21A is currently allocated Pulsars, I can't see it going Commander.
Which Pulsars? What will replace them
(14 Mar 2016, 3:59 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Which Pulsars? What will replace them

The DAF ALX400.
(13 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm)GMitchelhill wrote It's had one from new, apparently the wrong box was ticked not sure if the wrong boxes were ticked for 1401 or for 1402/1403. Quite possibly for 1402/1403, as the route they were brought for (441 Blyth to Wansbeck Hospital) did have a bit of fast running). But nonetheless they seem to cope well on the Blyth Expresses and give the Geminis a run for their money.

It will have been 1401 that had a wrong box ticked, All other commanders in the UK or the Netherlands have 3 Speed Voith DIWAs.
I agree on Blyth Expresses, They cope well but just the RPMs are a tad too high to be working them every day I think.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(14 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I doubt that...
Possibly Ashington for Sapphire spares for the X21/X22 Tongue  (NOT)
EDIT 2: Belmont for use on 43 to allow for some lowlanders to be withdrawn or Ashington to be kind of MAXED for the 35

Belmont will be the most cost effective option for them id think, Exchange them for 3 Standard Pulsars and then refurbish the Pulsars to MAX Spares for Blyth.

The 46 would've been the best option but that's getting MAX Volvo B7TLs, The 43 is too busy to allocate them so they could just be allocated to any service that needs them ( Standard services )
Id also imagine if Arriva wanted to withdraw the Jesmond B10s, They'd replace the lot instead of 3.

The 21A is allocated younger Pulsars, Though I think MAX for both the 21 and 21A is a good idea. Refurbish the Pulsars and Ecocitys? ( Including 4811 )

The 35A is getting Standard Spec Volvo B7TLs, But I think the 3 Streetlites on the 35 should transfer to Jesmond and in turn, release 3 Pulsars to replace 3 Cadets at Stockton.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(13 Mar 2016, 6:20 pm)Dan wrote If that actually happened, it may give Arriva's commercial team a kick up the backside in fixing the issue, though?

The problem with all of these changeovers is that their real time information systems will show a higher "on time %", which isn't a true reflection on what's going on out there in the field.

Pronto revivial with some ex B&H Scania's? 

"Ken might apologise,
Frankie (Frankenstein) might make you late
But our great Blue Prontos will get you there well..... Pronto!"
(14 Mar 2016, 5:51 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Pronto revivial with some ex B&H Scania's? 

"Ken might apologise,
Frankenstein might not get you in on time,
And MAX may just relax,
But our great Blue Prontos will get you there well..... PRONTO!"
(14 Mar 2016, 5:02 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote The 35A is getting Standard Spec Volvo B7TLs, But I think the 3 Streetlites on the 35 should transfer to Jesmond and in turn, release 3 Pulsars to replace 3 Cadets at Stockton.

The 35/35a is getting those B7TLs so all 6 workings are of the same quality.
As already mentioned, Jesmond are getting the DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 from Ashington and Durham displaced by the Volvo B7TLs undergoing refurbishment (and already replaced by the Geminis in the case of some of Ashington's) to convert the 43/44/45 to full decker operation (which I'm sure has also been mentioned in the past), which then is, I believe, expected to release Pulsars (1408/11-3/8/9 if I recall what I've heard) to Stockton to allow 1914-7/20/2 to be withdrawn.
(14 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote It will have been 1401 that had a wrong box ticked, All other commanders in the UK or the Netherlands have 3 Speed Voith DIWAs.
I agree on Blyth Expresses, They cope well but just the RPMs are a tad too high to be working them every day I think.

Actually there was actually a number built with four speed gearbox. The number 3 in the gearbox type (Voith D851.3) doesn't indicate how many gears, there is a few videos of ex Netherlands examples with 4 speed gearboxes, but they are well spaced out.

Also Wright Pulsar (1 and 2) bodied DAF / VDL SB200s also have various 3 and 4 speed gearboxes.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(14 Mar 2016, 7:10 pm)Kuyoyo wrote The 35/35a is getting those B7TLs so all 6 workings are of the same quality.
As already mentioned, Jesmond are getting the DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 from Ashington and Durham displaced by the Volvo B7TLs undergoing refurbishment (and already replaced by the Geminis in the case of some of Ashington's) to convert the 43/44/45 to full decker operation (which I'm sure has also been mentioned in the past), which then is, I believe, expected to release Pulsars (1408/11-3/8/9 if I recall what I've heard) to Stockton to allow 1914-7/20/2 to be withdrawn.

It feels like we will NEVER get new buses in Jesmond... Tongue
(14 Mar 2016, 7:33 pm)NK53 TKT wrote It feels like we will NEVER get new buses in Jesmond...
You got Streetlite's last year. Be grateful man.
(14 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm)Davie wrote You got Streetlite's last year. Be grateful man.

Aye it's been 7 years since GNE bought new for South Tyneside.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(14 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm)DanPicken wrote Aye it's been 7 years since GNE bought new for South Tyneside.

Not really; as they've purchased 22 brand new Wright Streetlites for service 20, which serves South Tyneside.
(14 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm)Dan wrote Not really; as they've purchased 22 brand new Wright Streetlites for service 20, which serves South Tyneside.

That's what I meant, and they've not arrived yet so technically 5298-5309 were the last.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(14 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm)Davie wrote You got Streetlite's last year. Be grateful man.

Do you want streetlites?
It's the same for Stagecoach, THE newest stagecoach in Newcastle bus is a cascade! (10000)
I heard from a driver speaking to another today that the management in Darlington are aiming to get next stop announcements on all Darlington services by the end of 2017.

Do you reckon there is any truth in this?

A while ago I remember a member here saying Frequenta in Stockton and Durham should have NSA. I wonder why Darlington hasn't got these yet?
(14 Mar 2016, 8:20 pm)JoshP wrote I heard from a driver speaking to another today that the management in Darlington are aiming to get next stop announcements on all Darlington services by the end of 2017.

Do you reckon there is any truth in this?

A while ago I remember a member here saying Frequenta in Stockton and Durham should have NSA. I wonder why Darlington hasn't got these yet?

Wouldn't surprise me if before long all the Darlington routes get next stop announcements. Would be nice if they could programme all of Darlington's routes into the next stop announcement systems as it's a bit naff when like today you get MAX X26/X27 branded 4646 on Sapphire 7 with no announcements with a static MAX screen being shown. I thought the X1 StreetLite's were going to have next stop announcements when they were delivered last year, but no.
(14 Mar 2016, 7:44 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Do you want streetlites?
It's the same for Stagecoach, THE newest stagecoach in Newcastle bus is a cascade! (10000)
Not really. Apparently Stagecoach Newcastle are getting new buses this year.
(14 Mar 2016, 8:27 pm)Jimmi wrote Wouldn't surprise me if before long all the Darlington routes get next stop announcements. Would be nice if they could programme all of Darlington's routes into the next stop announcement systems as it's a bit naff when like today you get MAX X26/X27 branded 4646 on Sapphire 7 with no announcements with a static MAX screen being shown. I thought the X1 StreetLite's were going to have next stop announcements when they were delivered last year, but no.
I hope it happens sooner rather than later it's such a great thing. It may be annoying to most people but really benefits the blind, those hard of hearing (NSA Screen) and those new to the area/tourists.

I reckon it would be a great addition to Frequenta and improve people's opinions of Arriva. 

It would work great on the 2 and 4, my local routes. Not many services in Darlington DON'T have NSA, just Frequenta's, 12/12A, X1 and 8/8A.
(10 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Jimmi wrote MAX X75/X76 launch will be on Wednesday. Appears to be no TITAN the Robot for these events and despite their claims I doubt that there will be a shiny new bus there either.
[Image: 973fbeea8889932d8cbcc218d2d50e08.jpg]
[Image: 7b4adab08087968703fd00ac7ffffc48.jpg]

Was thinking about going to this tomorrow but not sure how to get to Darlington from Newcastle apart from the train