You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - March 2016

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - March 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - March 2016
(22 Mar 2016, 9:12 am)X8X9X10 wrote 1401/1403 on the X7/X8 again.

I know it's been said before but 1401/1402/1403 need a refurb/repaint to MAX ASAP.

4516/4520/4522/4522 on the 43/44/45.

1580 on the X21/X22.

Also is 4518
1581 is also on Ashington Sapphires
1413 is again on the X16
1775 and 7492 55
2806 46
1583 and 1585 are on the 43/44/45
7445 X14
7601 X10/X11
Sapphire is on the X20
(apologies if some of these have already been reported)
(22 Mar 2016, 5:27 pm)Cock Robin wrote 1102/5 were at Whitby yesterday. One on Town services and the other was on an X93 on the morning which presumably is spare for the day when it gets back to Whitby. I think it goes on to the Park and Ride once that goes up to three vehicles.

Yes, if it's the same last year the 0920 from Scarborough will work onto the extra P2 journeys once the peak timetable starts (and should be booked for a Pulsar or Temsa I think going on last year)

(22 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm)Cock Robin wrote 7485 hasn't arrived yet, 7486 is off the road with something major and 7487 I'm told "can't get up hills"! Bit of a farce really. Had a standing load on 1435 even this early in the season. Didn't see 7405 yesterday either.

7487 seen on 64s today.

Gearbox issues the reason for 7486 being VOR apparently.
(22 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm)Jimmi wrote There should really be something better on summer X93's really. Wonder how those Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400's would perform on the X93?

Might be worth trying.
(22 Mar 2016, 5:37 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Yes, if it's the same last year the 0920 from Scarborough will work onto the extra P2 journeys once the peak timetable starts (and should be booked for a Pulsar or Temsa I think going on last year)

Yes, that was the one.
(22 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm)Cock Robin wrote Might be worth trying.

7485 etc have a 5 Speed ZF that takes a bit to downshift on Hills ( Climbing them ) while the VLAs have the Nippy 6 Speed ZF that downshift immediately when put under pressure and with the -
added 6th Gear they have a little less RPMs than the Geminis at 55 Mph. I think they be a perfect fit for the summer. EDIT and the Hills.

Though Seating capacity I haven't got a clue though I believe the VLAs are short wheel base B7TLs which is 10.2M
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm)Cock Robin wrote 7485 hasn't arrived yet

7485 is "double-booked", it seems! Busy pottering around up North Tyneside, on the Metro Replacement 900!

I can't believe Arriva have put in for the Metro Replacement contract between Shiremoor and Tynemouth, when they clearly haven't got enough resources to facilitate it (despite having extra vehicles in the fleet with the MAX Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400s entering service). Not only have some depots had to give up vehicles to be loaned to Jesmond, but the work has been sub-contracted to two independent operators too. They really can't be making much money off this contract at all...
(22 Mar 2016, 6:31 pm)Dan wrote 7485 is "double-booked", it seems! Busy pottering around up North Tyneside, on the Metro Replacement 900!

I can't believe Arriva have put in for the Metro Replacement contract between Shiremoor and Tynemouth, when they clearly haven't got enough resources to facilitate it (despite having extra vehicles in the fleet with the MAX Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400s entering service). Not only have some depots had to give up vehicles to be loaned to Jesmond, but the work has been sub-contracted to two independent operators too. They really can't be making much money off this contract at all...

Exactly!
(22 Mar 2016, 6:31 pm)Dan wrote 7485 is "double-booked", it seems! Busy pottering around up North Tyneside, on the Metro Replacement 900!

I sense a bit of scorched earth going on.

Either that, or a pre-existing deal with the independents.
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2016, 7:52 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I sense a bit of scorched earth going on.

There's certainly some form of existing deal between Arriva North East and JH Coaches, which follows on from the previous deal with Classic Coaches. JH regularly provide buses and drivers for the Metro Replacements.

It's strange to have Stanley Travel loaning buses to Arriva as well, though.
(22 Mar 2016, 7:55 pm)Dan wrote There's certainly some form of existing deal between Arriva North East and JH Coaches, which follows on from the previous deal with Classic Coaches. JH regularly provide buses and drivers for the Metro Replacements.

Dont kingsleys loan anymore
Best bus ever
(22 Mar 2016, 7:52 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I sense a bit of scorched earth going on.

Even if it is making a loss, it certainly stops anyone else getting involved.

I keep going back to the phrase - but these operators are like dogs marking their territory.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Mar 2016, 7:55 pm)Dan wrote There's certainly some form of existing deal between Arriva North East and JH Coaches, which follows on from the previous deal with Classic Coaches. JH regularly provide buses and drivers for the Metro Replacements.

I believe the Stanley Travel buses 'loaned' to Arriva are the ones based in Byker for use on scholars, for example LK03 NJX always operates my school's Scholars bus the 18A which then interworks to form the 151. S4 STX (the only DDA ALX400) is also being used it seems along with one other president
(23 Mar 2016, 12:02 pm)Cock Robin wrote Didn't Stanley Travel get involved in the Hartlepool Tall Ships contract? I might be wrong.

Stanley or Classic. Maybe both.
Sure Garnetts did too.

There were definitely independents in addition to the acquired Olympians, brought up from down south.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'