Menu

Pages (14)    111 12 13 14   
Jimmi   31 Oct 2015, 5:20 pm
(31 Oct 2015, 5:09 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Does your camera have a 'specials' mode? I use that in 'Night' setting once it gets dark (and 'Sunset' as the light starts to fade).
Think so, but didn't think that whilst I was in Stockton especially with it being the first time I've done evening shots. Managed to get the E200 and Volvo Olympian on the shuttle services by using "sport" mode. Probably could have figured it out if I had more time but I had to shoot off for the X66 seem as I couldn't really spend another 30 minutes in Stockton and I wasn't getting the X67 all the way into Darlington Town Centre again!

Was a bit annoyed the Stockton shuttles were buses I already have photos of, oh well!
Adrian   02 Nov 2015, 9:09 am
You'll not be able to use sport mode for night shots. It doesn't allow enough light into the sensor. Use manual mode - 1/30 and iso 1600. Beef the apiture right up too. That'll work as long as the vehicle is static.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Jimmi   02 Nov 2015, 10:14 am
(02 Nov 2015, 9:09 am)Adrian wrote You'll not be able to use sport mode for night shots. It doesn't allow enough light into the sensor. Use manual mode - 1/30 and iso 1600. Beef the apiture right up too. That'll work as long as the vehicle is static.

Probably wasn't dark enough when I was taking shots in Stockton the other evening to have the camera in the settings you advised me to use, also couldn't find suitable settings for that time of day especially as I only had a few minutes because I had to catch the X66 back to Harrowgate Hill to head home.

These two shots were taken on "sport" mode on Saturday.
https://flic.kr/p/zxZGbb
https://flic.kr/p/Aw2oRi
Jimmi   04 Nov 2015, 5:03 pm
Had another crack at night shots last night, here is the results (the last photo was taken on my old camera last year).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...0799848385
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   14 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm
According to some blokes from Nexus, all train enthusiasts (Or spotters, what ever floats your boat) are sad.
Diamond One   14 Nov 2015, 9:42 pm
(14 Nov 2015, 9:35 pm)Davie wrote According to some blokes from Nexus, all train enthusiasts (Or spotters, what ever floats your boat) are sad.

imagine if he had of said that to Roy Keane he would murder the idiot p.s he was manager of Sunderland that took us to the premier league
Diamond One   14 Nov 2015, 9:44 pm
if your in Sunderland i recommend the turning to Park Lane in Newcastle however where HMV is you can get everything only problem is the wifi i got this idea from Gary Devlin yonks back
Jimmi   01 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm
Wanting to do some more train shots.

Is there any way of finding out where a specific train might be, as I wouldn't mind a shot of 91128 with it's Christmas livery.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   01 Dec 2015, 9:39 pm
(01 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm)Jimmi wrote Wanting to do some more train shots.

Is there any way of finding out where a specific train might be, as I wouldn't mind a shot of 91128 with it's Christmas livery.
Newcastle Central station may be your best bet.
Andreos1   01 Dec 2015, 9:51 pm

(01 Dec 2015, 9:39 pm)Davie wrote Newcastle Central station may be your best bet.

To be honest, if you (Jimmi) can get to Ferryhill station or Hett, you might be in more luck.
Not the nicest location at this time of year, but would save you a trip and ending up with shots similar to most others.

Anywhere south Donny would be the best bet, seeing as everything goes between those points.
omnicity4659   01 Dec 2015, 9:53 pm

Tweet or Facebook message Virgin Trains East Coast (on the morning of the day) for the the headcodes, then use realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced then look for the headcodes.

You will only be able to get the headcodes on the morning when they have been allocated.
Jimmi   01 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm
(01 Dec 2015, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote To be honest, if you (Jimmi) can get to Ferryhill station or Hett, you might be in more luck.
Not the nicest location at this time of year, but would save you a trip and ending up with shots similar to most others.

Anywhere south Donny would be the best bet, seeing as everything goes between those points.

Issue with that being I am still pretty new to rail photography so don't know the line speeds and what shutter speed to set the camera in to match, also I am not that certain what access would be like down there, from what I've seen there is metal fencing much of the way round so the only option I could think of would be to stand on the bridge that the 33 and 56 go over to head towards Bishop Middleham. To make it easier for myself I may try to catch it at Darlington Rail Station, hopefully it would arrive at a time that I can get the Northern Rail service from Aycliffe. Another bridge option would be at Harrowgate Hill.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   01 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm
(01 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm)Jimmi wrote Issue with that being I am still pretty new to rail photography so don't know the line speeds and what shutter speed to set the camera in to match, also I am not that certain what access would be like down there, from what I've seen there is metal fencing much of the way round so the only option I could think of would be to stand on the bridge that the 33 and 56 go over to head towards Bishop Middleham. To make it easier for myself I may try to catch it at Darlington Rail Station, hopefully it would arrive at a time that I can get the Northern Rail service from Aycliffe. Another bridge option would be at Harrowgate Hill.
There is a path alongside the track, with the metal railings. A nature reserve maybe?
You should be able to get your lens through though.

Sure there is a footbridge too. Not sure if it is enclosed/covered.

These are to the north of the old station from memory.

I reckon the only way you can get better at something is by giving it a go and practicing with your shutter speeds.
Jimmi   01 Dec 2015, 10:39 pm
(01 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote There is a path alongside the track, with the metal railings. A nature reserve maybe?
You should be able to get your lens through though.

Sure there is a footbridge too. Not sure if it is enclosed/covered.

These are to the north of the old station from memory.

I reckon the only way you can get better at something is by giving it a go and practicing with your shutter speeds.
Think I've found the path you are referring to looking on Google Maps and I may be wrong but it looks like it may be possible to get photos there, although Google Streetview for that area hasn't been updated since 2010 so it may be different now.

I think for trying to get a photo of that I may do the boring option just to ensure I can get myself a photo as I don't have long to get a photo of this especially as I have a few things on between now and Christmas, so I want to make sure I get a photo if possible as knowing me if I did the different shot I'd screw the shot up. I will try and be more adventurous with rail photos when I'm just snapping trains where there isn't nothing much of significance where it won't matter if I fail to snap it.
omnicity4659   01 Dec 2015, 10:52 pm
I'm going to be out most of this week getting photos of 91128 and the DVT. The crap camera let me down earlier today.
Jimmi   07 Feb 2016, 12:25 am
Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Think this photo turned out alright, could have possibly been a bit better. https://flic.kr/p/DqwdXU

Got a fairly decent shot of Spirit of Sunderland 43274 there as well, but I snapped it in Darlington the previous day, as seen here. https://flic.kr/p/DQyREt

Hope to make more regular rail uploads.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   07 Feb 2016, 8:56 am
(07 Feb 2016, 12:25 am)Jimmi wrote Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Think this photo turned out alright, could have possibly been a bit better. https://flic.kr/p/DqwdXU

Got a fairly decent shot of Spirit of Sunderland 43274 there as well, but I snapped it in Darlington the previous day, as seen here. https://flic.kr/p/DQyREt

Aye, they certainly go a canny speed thru there.
Jimmi   07 Feb 2016, 10:33 am
(07 Feb 2016, 8:56 am)citaro5284 wrote Aye, they certainly go a canny speed thru there.
It's about 110mph through there isn't it? Think it was just the shock that hit me more than anything. I'd imagine I'd get used to it after a while. One annoying thing about that station was the platforms weren't very wide. I wasn't put off by the whole experience though, I'd probably do there again or the likes of Chester-le-Street.
omnicity4659   07 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm
(07 Feb 2016, 12:25 am)Jimmi wrote Going back to a discussion from a while ago, I went to Cramlington Rail Station today and I must admit I did feel a bit scared when trains were going past at speed. Was my first experience of trains heading past at these sorts of speeds.

Lol hahahahahaha  Wink Tongue 

Northbound trains weren't even going fast, could of used that platform Big Grin
Jimmi   07 Feb 2016, 4:33 pm
(07 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Lol hahahahahaha  Wink[emoji14]

Northbound trains weren't even going fast, could of used that platform Big Grin

Oh yeah that Pacer pulling into the station was enough to send shivers down my spine! [emoji1] [emoji14]

I wasn't really that scared! [emoji1]
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   11 Feb 2016, 2:29 am
Think the speed at Cramlington is less than 100mph due to the curve through the area.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
omnicity4659   11 Feb 2016, 8:31 am
(11 Feb 2016, 2:29 am)GMitchelhill wrote Think the speed at Cramlington is less than 100mph due to the curve through the area.

It's something treble figures, I was corrected from 90mph to 110mph somewhere online, it's the angled track that handles the high speeds etc
Jimmi   19 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm
Anyone know what the line speeds are at Thirsk and Northallerton Rail Station's?
omnicity4659   19 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm
(19 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm)Jimmi wrote Anyone know what the line speeds are at Thirsk and Northallerton Rail Station's?

Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   19 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm
(19 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.
Thanks. I may be heading there next week.
S813 FVK   19 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm
(19 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Northallerton is 125mph according to Wikipedia when I last looked.

Yep - I think the speed limit is 125mph without any changes from just north of York to about 1/4 way from Darlington (may be wrong).

As for Thirsk, The platforms are in a 'loop' style with the fast lines running in between the two platforms.
Jimmi   23 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm
Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue
Adrian   23 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm
(23 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm)Jimmi wrote Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue

It's a week day and people work. I wasn't expecting to see many to be honest.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   23 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm
(23 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm)Jimmi wrote Must say I am very surprised by the lacking of Tynedale Links photos today. Did some people not get the memo? Tongue

Not even Go North East have advertised the new vehicles. That in itself has surprised me haha.
Jimmi   23 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm
(23 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)Adrian wrote It's a week day and people work. I wasn't expecting to see many to be honest.

I get that, but look at how many photos were taken on the first day of the Castles Express which was a Monday.

Just hope that everyone isn't waiting until Saturday, don't fancy the thought of loads of enthusiast's being stood at the same place at the same time, especially at Hexham where there isn't a great deal of places to stand around the bus station, was bad enough having one being in Eldon Square at the same time as me this evening.
Pages (14)    111 12 13 14