You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - April 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - April 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - April 2016
As for the brick throwing issues, we've been here before and it seemed to go away (or did it?). My views remain unchanged. Remove the services concerned from the areas so affected before somebody gets seriously injured or killed. Or is that what we are waiting for?
(18 Apr 2016, 6:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'm thinking Kuyoyo is on the wrong (!) wavelength Wink

Wouldn't be the first time!

(18 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Here's where you are on the wrong wavelength
The X93 received new vehicles in Winter 2014/2015 for the all year round boards. So, why all this tall of more new vehicles? I gave reasons as to why they likely only bought enough to cover the all year PVR rather than buying enough to cover the summer PVR and why they are now looking at newer second-hand stock to work those summer-only Redcar workings in-place of 7485-7.
Maybe people need to start reading back throughout the last three or four pages before posting Wink

We don't all have as much spare time as you.
(18 Apr 2016, 7:43 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Streetlites have done the X93 in the past but how they handle the route is unknown. However, to extend the service to Scarborough, you would need as a minimum 2 extra vehicles added into the PVR and you would have to work out a way to do Whitby-Scarborough in an hour. And a way to not go over the driving hours for the Redcar drivers.

If they've done it in the past then I'm sure how they handle the route IS known, to those that need to know.
(18 Apr 2016, 8:32 pm)Dan wrote Arriva aren't the only operator to have suffered problems tonight. Go North East have had three buses incur damage on Old Durham Road this evening, due to a clan of young people throwing rocks at buses.

I honestly cannot understand the appeal of throwing rocks and suchlike at buses. Not only does it result in buses having to be kept off the road (with passengers suffering as a result - the likes of free Wi-Fi might not be available), but it could also result in the people on-board being hurt.

The f**ktards can't hit anything smaller than a bus.
(19 Apr 2016, 9:44 am)scania driver wrote As for the brick throwing issues, we've been here before and it seemed to go away (or did it?). My views remain unchanged. Remove the services concerned from the areas so affected before somebody gets seriously injured or killed. Or is that what we are waiting for?

Not wishing to hold a flame to the cat's backside but how do you do this if you have a certain operator without driver communication, ie radios?
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(19 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm)northern156 wrote Not wishing to hold a flame to the cat's backside but how do you do this if you have a certain operator without driver communication, ie radios?

Big Grin
(18 Apr 2016, 8:32 pm)Dan wrote Arriva aren't the only operator to have suffered problems tonight. Go North East have had three buses incur damage on Old Durham Road this evening, due to a clan of young people throwing rocks at buses.

I honestly cannot understand the appeal of throwing rocks and suchlike at buses. Not only does it result in buses having to be kept off the road (with passengers suffering as a result - the likes of free Wi-Fi might not be available), but it could also result in the people on-board being hurt.

I was on an A Line bus on scholars 158 when I was 6 years old with my grandma and someone smashed the window with a Bowling Ball in Melton Park, on the same service on a different day the people from Gosforth East Middle School were playing football on board
2803 is the third Stockton Solo repainted into Frequenta base livery.
(20 Apr 2016, 3:52 pm)Jimmi wrote 1324 still in Frequenta base livery.

Yep - it was on the 57 again today, too. They seem to have been doing that with the unbranded ones all week.
The 64 that left the Arnision Centre at 7:34 ish today on the display said Durham, is that timed bus only going to Durham now?
(20 Apr 2016, 5:47 pm)OW1762 wrote The 64 that left the Arnision Centre at 7:34 ish today on the display said Durham, is that timed bus only going to Durham now?

Looking at the timetable, it would have had to terminate early because Gilesgate roundabout closes at 8pm for re-surfacing.
(20 Apr 2016, 7:12 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Looking at the timetable, it would have had to terminate early because Gilesgate roundabout closes at 8pm for re-surfacing.

Ok, thanks
(21 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm)solsburian wrote 1657 X7 service left Newcastle 20 minutes early today Angry

Was it not just the other one 10 minutes late? Can't see it being 20 minutes early as they can't be on time most of the time!
(21 Apr 2016, 5:27 pm)Tom wrote Was it not just the other one 10 minutes late? Can't see it being 20 minutes early as they can't be on time most of the time!

Not according to the inspector at Haymarket who had called Blyth Depot. Undecided
The X93 has improved massively over the last few years, so credit where its due. It's never going to divert all around the houses to pick up a few more passengers, all they can do really is make sure its reliable and the capacity is there. Passengers from Middlesbrough can easily make their own connection from Teesside into the bus station to get the X93, they just need to be confident they're able to get a seat for the long journey ahead.

As for extended the X4/4 to Scarborough, a similar thing was tried with the old X56 being extended there, but wasnt a great success. There's a lot to be said for if it isnt fixed, dont break it.

My own personal suggestion would be to consider a new route from Whitby-Scarborough-Filey-Bridlington. Run as an express service, just a few runs in the summer only perhaps to see how it goes. Use Whitby drivers so that driving hours is not a problem. It would take some pressure off the X93 for those going to Scarborough, but also open up some new revenue down the coast for day trippers. A non-stop or very limited stop from Scarborough onwards would surely attract passengers from the local Easy Yorkshire services too?
(22 Apr 2016, 8:17 am)tvd wrote The X93 has improved massively over the last few years, so credit where its due.  It's never going to divert all around the houses to pick up a few more passengers, all they can do really is make sure its reliable and the capacity is there.  Passengers from Middlesbrough can easily make their own connection from Teesside into the bus station to get the X93, they just need to be confident they're able to get a seat for the long journey ahead.

As for extended the X4/4 to Scarborough, a similar thing was tried with the old X56 being extended there, but wasnt a great success.  There's a lot to be said for if it isnt fixed, dont break it.

My own personal suggestion would be to consider a new route from Whitby-Scarborough-Filey-Bridlington.  Run as an express service, just a few runs in the summer only perhaps to see how it goes.   Use Whitby drivers so that driving hours is not a problem.  It would take some pressure off the X93 for those going to Scarborough, but also open up some new revenue down the coast for day trippers.  A non-stop or very limited stop from Scarborough onwards would surely attract passengers from the local Easy Yorkshire services too?

Yes, then hopefully East Yorkshire will start running Scarborough to Middlesbrough in retaliation.
Not going to happen is it ? Let's get real and be sensible. What's the point of fighting (and spending time and resources) on something we don't need.
(22 Apr 2016, 8:17 am)tvd wrote The X93 has improved massively over the last few years, so credit where its due.  It's never going to divert all around the houses to pick up a few more passengers, all they can do really is make sure its reliable and the capacity is there.  Passengers from Middlesbrough can easily make their own connection from Teesside into the bus station to get the X93, they just need to be confident they're able to get a seat for the long journey ahead.

As for extended the X4/4 to Scarborough, a similar thing was tried with the old X56 being extended there, but wasnt a great success.  There's a lot to be said for if it isnt fixed, dont break it.

My own personal suggestion would be to consider a new route from Whitby-Scarborough-Filey-Bridlington.  Run as an express service, just a few runs in the summer only perhaps to see how it goes.   Use Whitby drivers so that driving hours is not a problem.  It would take some pressure off the X93 for those going to Scarborough, but also open up some new revenue down the coast for day trippers.  A non-stop or very limited stop from Scarborough onwards would surely attract passengers from the local Easy Yorkshire services too?

Reasonable points. I remember the X56 running to Scarborough but that ran via Guisborough which the X93 served anyway. The X4/4 could now pick up in Redcar and Saltburn as well as East Cleveland for passengers not wanting to change buses. It can be a real hassle in Whitby bus station- there's often a free-for-all! Surely it's worth a trial on a limited basis?
(22 Apr 2016, 10:41 am)Michael Euston wrote Reasonable points. I remember the X56 running to Scarborough but that ran via Guisborough which the X93 served anyway. The X4/4 could now pick up in Redcar and Saltburn as well as East Cleveland for passengers not wanting to change buses. It can be a real hassle in Whitby bus station- there's often a free-for-all! Surely it's worth a trial on a limited basis?

Certainly with you on the Whitby 'free-for-all' situation and don't have any sort of answer to that one. Having to queue for an hour to get a place on one of last buses back to Tessside has never sat favourably with me! As for an extension, through to Scarborough,  of the X4/4 there is some scope for this and as for the suggestion that it is to be tried in the summer, I'd welcome it. How would the Streetlites perform on such a route though?
I think restoring later buses from Whitby would be better than extending to Scarborough.

Running through to Bridlington was tried at one time - was it the bus from Redcar?
(22 Apr 2016, 12:28 pm)Cock Robin wrote I think restoring later buses from Whitby would be better than extending to Scarborough.

Running through to Bridlington was tried at one time - was it the bus from Redcar?

I don't know, there was a bus from Whitby - Bridlington at one time but we're going back a bit...to the days of United or at least Tees & District. Service number 193 rings a bell, but google hasnt come up with anything!
(22 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm)tvd wrote I don't know, there was a bus from Whitby - Bridlington at one time but we're going back a bit...to the days of United or at least Tees & District.  Service number 193 rings a bell, but google hasnt come up with anything!

Yes I think that was the one. Remember Lynxs on it.
Just seen Frequenta 2853 going through aycliffe village been driven by a durham sapphire driver while displaying Not in service, could anyone shed any information on this, was heading in direction of durham
(22 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Just seen Frequenta 2853 going through aycliffe village been driven by a durham sapphire driver while displaying Not in service, could anyone shed any information on this, was heading in direction of durham

Maybe it had ended up on the 7 as a replacement? Durham's a bit nuts, lately.