Menu

Pages (5)    1 2 3 4 5   
Ambassador   08 Apr 2016, 12:55 am
(07 Apr 2016, 3:07 pm)northern156 wrote In some weird way I do quite like it! Going round the back and through the bus-only road using the barriers, yeah! Oddly entertaining!

I bizarrely enjoy it too. Trundling through the IKEA car park...

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
BusLoverMum   16 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm
On the 16 all the way from Consett for the first time.

We like.

Favourite Street name of the week has t be Delight Row
Jamie M   18 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm
(16 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm)BusLoverMum wrote On the 16 all the way from Consett for the first time.

We like.

Don't think I've ever been on the 16. I also avoid the V1-6/9 also, since there's not much to see. I usually take anything to consett then 15A since it's quicker in my mind.
TEN 6083   18 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm
(16 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm)BusLoverMum wrote On the 16 all the way from Consett for the first time.

We like.

Agree with you on this, haven't ridden the whole journey in one go but have done the Consett-Stanley and Stanley-Durham stretches at different times
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   18 Apr 2016, 7:00 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm)Jamie M wrote Don't think I've ever been on the 16. I also avoid the V1-6/9 also, since there's not much to see. I usually take anything to consett then 15A since it's quicker in my mind.

At over 3 hours for a 90 minute, by the fastest buses, journey home from Newcastle, speed wasn't our aim Smile
NK53 TKT   18 Apr 2016, 7:51 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm)Jamie M wrote Don't think I've ever been on the 16. I also avoid the V1-6/9 also, since there's not much to see. I usually take anything to consett then 15A since it's quicker in my mind.

I don't normally go near Durham, I have been on the 15A but not the 15, 16 or 16A or any Venture services
TEN 6083   18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm
Went on the 30 to Burnhope and back on Saturday to visit a friend who lives there, short but scenic. 15 is a nice route as well.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
NK53 TKT   18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Went on the 30 to Burnhope and back on Saturday, short but scenic. 15 is a nice route as well.

I feel the 15 is spoiled by Presidents
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   18 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Went on the 30 to Burnhope and back on Saturday, short but scenic. 15 is a nice route as well.

Did you happen to see the pink gate at the top of Quaking Houses?

Its not my house, i just cant help but notice it every time i go past haha.
TEN 6083   18 Apr 2016, 7:59 pm
Was on my phone at the time so didn't notice it

TEN 6083   18 Apr 2016, 8:05 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I feel the 15 is spoiled by Presidents

At least is not an Olympian, after the experience of them on the way back from Stanley on Saturday (3822). The Presidents I find have a better ride quality as well as better seating.
Dan   18 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm
I've not had the pleasure of many Venture minibus routes (although will in the near future when I have to test the announcements on all of 'em!) but I have done the old V8 between Consett and Stanley on several occasions, so can understand why BLM quite liked it as the 16. Often used to opt for this for a bit of variety on days out when the MPDs were allocated, connecting to a B10 on the Lime from there. Did intend on trying a 16 to Stanley a few weeks back but I just missed the Merc so had to opt for the 78 instead.

I'm sure I've done the V9 before too, which was also decent to my memory.

Can't remember if I've done it on a Solo, but I've done the V1/V2 too.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   18 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 8:05 pm)TEN 6083 wrote At least is not an Olympian, after the experience of them on the way back from Stanley on Saturday (3822). The Presidents I find have a better ride quality

3831 is the best Olympain of the lot at Stanley. I would really recommend giving it a go when it is out in service if possible.
BusLoverMum   18 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Went on the 30 to Burnhope and back on Saturday to visit a friend who lives there, short but scenic. 15 is a nice route as well.

The Presidents might be rather slow and ungainly on the 15, but it's quite nice to be on the upper deck (nice big windows, for a start) taking in the rather stunning scenery at a stately pace.
BusLoverMum   18 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 7:59 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Was on my phone at the time so didn't notice it

I'm guilty of that, too. Better phone reception up there than at home or on most of Teesside!
Jamie M   18 Apr 2016, 8:38 pm
Not sure why everyone hates Presidents/b7tls, I actually rather like them. I find the tridents (loyne) leave a horrible smell, and are not so much quicker in many cases.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   18 Apr 2016, 8:46 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 8:38 pm)Jamie M wrote Not sure why everyone hates Presidents/b7tls, I actually rather like them. I find the tridents (loyne) leave a horrible smell, and are not so much quicker in many cases.

Styling and comfort wise, they are very much ahead of their time. Even the staircases are a lot more accessible than on E400s and some of the Geminis - nice and straight with easy to grab rails, which makes it possible for those of us who tend to be a bit unsteady to use the upper deck.

They've really had it, though. Some of them are utterly defeated by hills, which is a bit unfortunate in this part of the country!

I'm not so keen on the lolynes - not the same comfort levels at all and, yes, some of them are incredibly musty.
TEN 6083   18 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 8:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They've really had it, though. Some of them are utterly defeated by hills, which is a bit unfortunate in this part of the country!

The 15 I got on the 7th to Consett (6013) had to take a diversion up Maiden Law bank from Lanchester due to an RTC on the A691, it absolutely struggled to get up there, thought was was going to stop at one point, that's how bad it got.
South Tyne Lad   18 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm)TEN 6083 wrote The 15 I got on the 7th to Consett (6013) had to take a diversion up Maiden Law bank from Lanchester due to an RTC on the A691, it absolutely struggled to get up there, thought was was going to stop at one point, that's how bad it got.

It's because they have non-lock ZFs which means they are setup for quick gear changes and not locking into gear on inclines, which causes them to climb up the bank in the wrong gear making them sluggish.

Later ones have gear locks

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Ambassador   18 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 8:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Styling and comfort wise, they are very much ahead of their time. Even the staircases are a lot more accessible than on E400s and some of the Geminis - nice and straight with easy to grab rails, which makes it possible for those of us who tend to be a bit unsteady to use the upper deck.

They've really had it, though. Some of them are utterly defeated by hills, which is a bit unfortunate in this part of the country!

I'm not so keen on the lolynes - not the same comfort levels at all and, yes, some of them are incredibly musty.

Definitely, much easier to descend the stairs on a B7 than one of the Hybrids on the 21. 

I'd like not give a nod to the the Q1 from Gateshead to Central. You get the Quays, the Swing Bridge, Dean Street, Grey St, Grainger Town and ending at the majesty of Central. Some of the finest architecture and street scenes in the world

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jamie M   18 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm
The 20 is nice once it gets to the bank where west rainton is. Can see a long way, completely bleak apart from that section though.
BusLoverMum   18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm)Jamie M wrote The 20 is nice once it gets to the bank where west rainton is. Can see a long way, completely bleak apart from that section though.

The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

Up around West Rainton is our secret shortcut to the Arnison centre for when Durham is too congested to contemplate. Used it, mostly, when I lived in Hetton Le Hole, for a while, but until we got our current car, have used it occasionally, since. It's single lane, most of the way, with a hairy turn onto a narrow bridge, at once point, plus a risk of encountering horses, but you emerge at one point to a place where (as a passenger) you can look down a long way into a valley that the Wear runs through (it's not right wide at that point, so is fast moving) and then, when you've retrieved your breakfast, carry on to the shops, via Finchale abbey.

We haven't taken out current car (Avensis Tourer) there because it's significantly wide than the old Avensis we had and Husband doesn't feel safe with it. Plus, the road is a lot busier than it used to be, which means a lot more pulling over or facing people off who won't pull over when you can't.
South Tyne Lad   18 Apr 2016, 10:55 pm
(18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

You can just see the Angel of the North from the spot mentioned above!
The part between East Herrington to Sheilds is quite bland though.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Andreos1   19 Apr 2016, 7:20 am
(18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The strength of that route is how varied it is. It seems to go through almost every style of housing and commercial development possible for that area, very ancient and very modern included, with a few fields in between for good measure!

Up around West Rainton is our secret shortcut to the Arnison centre for when Durham is too congested to contemplate. Used it, mostly, when I lived in Hetton Le Hole, for a while, but until we got our current car, have used it occasionally, since. It's single lane, most of the way, with a hairy turn onto a narrow bridge, at once point, plus a risk of encountering horses, but you emerge at one point to a place where (as a passenger) you can look down a long way into a valley that the Wear runs through (it's not right wide at that point, so is fast moving) and then, when you've retrieved your breakfast, carry on to the shops, via Finchale abbey.

We haven't taken out current car (Avensis Tourer) there because it's significantly wide than the old Avensis we had and Husband doesn't feel safe with it. Plus, the road is a lot busier than it used to be, which means a lot more pulling over or facing people off who won't pull over when you can't.

Cocken Road.
Use it quite a bit too. It has become a bit of a rat run.
Saved the day in the early 2000's when I was living in the Gilesgate areas and snow had brought Durham to a halt.
Ironic when you look at that road, compared to the road network in Durham.

It was closed for a good while last year.
They have been doing work on the bridge recently too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
TEN 6083   23 Apr 2016, 8:52 pm
Went on the 689 for the first time today from Consett to Hexham, this is one of the nicest routes I have been on and scenery is lovely.

BusLoverMum   23 Apr 2016, 9:39 pm
(23 Apr 2016, 8:52 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Went on the 689 for the first time today from Consett to Hexham, this is one of the nicest routes I have been on and scenery is lovely.

And you didn't even pick the loveliest day to do it on!

I was surprised how busy it was. I bet it gets packed in summer.
Davie   23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm
The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.
BusLoverMum   23 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm
(23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm)Davie wrote The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.

Even past the beer bottle house? Tongue
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   23 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm
(23 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm)Davie wrote The X36 is also a route I find rather boring.

When it goes on that endless tour of social housing estates in Sunderland...I start questioning why I'm on it

BusLoverMum   23 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm
(23 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm)Ambassador wrote When it goes on that endless tour of social housing estates in Sunderland...I start questioning why I'm on it

Oh aye.

Mixing it up with the x35 again!
Pages (5)    1 2 3 4 5