You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2016
(19 May 2016, 7:54 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote For all 3 reply's above.

Cummins never tuned a engine like the sound found in the Pulsar's I'm on about above Euro 4, Other examples with the same noise are Euro 4 E400s, Euro 4 Optare Versa's and others.

Without even talking about engines, 14** have a kickdown, Euro 5 regulations stipulates a restricted one, Which is found in the 61 batch upwards.

Euro 1-6 regulation is purely to do with engine emissions and I can't find anything relating to kickdown.

However, Sanders Coaches do list their own 59/10 reg Pulsars as Euro 4: http://www.sanderscoaches.com/about/fleet.aspx
Although like others have mentioned I was always under the impression that all Arriva's Pulsars are Euro 5.
(19 May 2016, 7:54 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote For all 3 reply's above.

Cummins never tuned a engine like the sound found in the Pulsar's I'm on about above Euro 4, Other examples with the same noise are Euro 4 E400s, Euro 4 Optare Versa's and others.

Without even talking about engines, 14** have a kickdown, Euro 5 regulations stipulates a restricted one, Which is found in the 61 batch upwards.

The 61-plates, 12-plates and 63-plate pulsars all have the same kickdown setup as that of the 09-plates from my experience driving them.
All of Arrivas 2008 Solos and newer are Euro 5, along with every single Pulsar on the books too. All Euro 5.
(18 May 2016, 6:59 pm)S813 FVK wrote I think it was said that the 46 would be renumbered X46 in line with the MAX upgrade. Nothing was ever mentioned of the 48 being marketed as a MAX service, though, despite services 46 and 48 still interworking once the MAX upgrade is done.

Go north east operate service X46 which is basically an express 46 using the Castles Express buses
(19 May 2016, 3:26 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote There Euro 4, Only Solo's that are Euro 5 are Darlington's 11 Reg ones and the 59 Reg ones might be Euro 5 too.
They're all Euro 5.RolleyesExclamation
(20 May 2016, 6:49 am)OW1762 wrote Go north east operate service X46 which is basically an express 46 using the Castles Express buses

This is what I thought would cause a problem. Let's hope that passengers can tell the difference between midnight blue and light blue  Rolleyes
(20 May 2016, 6:49 am)OW1762 wrote Go north east operate service X46 which is basically an express 46 using the Castles Express buses
Well it wouldn't be the first time Arriva and Go North East have had services with the same service number crossing the same route, at peak times Arriva does a X85 between Newcastle and Hexham which obviously is the same number as GNE have although I think the Arriva service started before GNE's. Go North East seemed to take a few of Arriva's service numbers in Durham before, there certainly was the 43 and 50, although the routes only crossed in the Bus Station, think there may have been more.
(20 May 2016, 9:23 am)BusLoverMum wrote Doesn't surprise me. It fits the bill!

Wondering if t 15 minute frequency of the 43 is frequent enough, too.

I don't think the 43 would - mainly due to the fact it is a mixed type working route (2 boards are decker operated as one drops off for schools mid afternoon).

(20 May 2016, 10:08 am)Jimmi wrote Well it wouldn't be the first time Arriva and Go North East have had services with the same service number crossing the same route, at peak times Arriva does a X85 between Newcastle and Hexham which obviously is the same number as GNE have although I think the Arriva service started before GNE's. Go North East seemed to take a few of Arriva's service numbers in Durham before, there certainly was the 43 and 50, although the routes only crossed in the Bus Station, think there may have been more.

Arriva ran the X85 years before GNE started theirs.
(20 May 2016, 10:08 am)Jimmi wrote Well it wouldn't be the first time Arriva and Go North East have had services with the same service number crossing the same route, at peak times Arriva does a X85 between Newcastle and Hexham which obviously is the same number as GNE have although I think the Arriva service started before GNE's. Go North East seemed to take a few of Arriva's service numbers in Durham before, there certainly was the 43 and 50, although the routes only crossed in the Bus Station, think there may have been more.

Way back when, the 46/X46 extended to Newcastle and flitted between the operators (not sure if there was a shared op at one point).

Northern VR blinded for Crook/721.
I think it was the 46/X46 for a period before and after de-reg.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/9384365764
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(19 May 2016, 8:31 pm)John_R wrote Euro 1-6 regulation is purely to do with engine emissions and I can't find anything relating to kickdown.

However, Sanders Coaches do list their own 59/10 reg Pulsars as Euro 4: http://www.sanderscoaches.com/about/fleet.aspx
Although like others have mentioned I was always under the impression that all Arriva's Pulsars are Euro 5.

When Kickdown is engaged, The amount of emissions the engine emits is increased and also fuel burn is increased, Which in turn produces more emmsions, That's why Euro 5s don't have unrestricted kickdown's.

(20 May 2016, 12:26 am)palatine3833 wrote The 61-plates, 12-plates and 63-plate pulsars all have the same kickdown setup as that of the 09-plates from my experience driving them.

They don't, From my experience 09/59 and 10 Plates have a very slightly longer time between gear changes, From listening to the sound and gear changes, I also believe the 09/59/10 Plates contain the DIWA 4 Gearbox as opposed to the newer models, Which contain the DIWA 5. Having a working kickown in Euro 5 buses is not allowed, Unless the vehicle can meet the emissions standard from somewhere else, Which Pulsar's don't which is why 61 Plate up have restricted kickdowns, Which you posted as being temperamental, Because there restricted.

Econospeed has changed how the whole vehicle makes gear changes now though.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(20 May 2016, 3:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote They don't, From my experience 09/59 and 10 Plates have a very slightly longer time between gear changes, From listening to the sound and gear changes, I also believe the 09/59/10 Plates contain the DIWA 4 Gearbox as opposed to the newer models, Which contain the DIWA 5. Having a working kickown in Euro 5 buses is not allowed, Unless the vehicle can meet the emissions standard from somewhere else, Which Pulsar's don't which is why 61 Plate up have restricted kickdowns, Which you posted as being temperamental, Because there restricted.

Do you time the gear changes with a watch, like?
Don't want to take it much off topic.

But id like to apologise to all above, I understand I should do more research before posting stuff, And that I might of sounded a bit arrogant to some posters ( is arrogant the right word? )

Once again I apologise, Though my point on gearboxes and kickdowns still stands.

Regards
STL ( or those who know my real name )
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(20 May 2016, 3:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote When Kickdown is engaged, The amount of emissions the engine emits is increased and also fuel burn is increased, Which in turn produces more emmsions, That's why Euro 5s don't have unrestricted kickdown's.

They don't, From my experience 09/59 and 10 Plates have a very slightly longer time between gear changes, From listening to the sound and gear changes, I also believe the 09/59/10 Plates contain the DIWA 4 Gearbox as opposed to the newer models, Which contain the DIWA 5. Having a working kickown in Euro 5 buses is not allowed, Unless the vehicle can meet the emissions standard from somewhere else, Which Pulsar's don't which is why 61 Plate up have restricted kickdowns, Which you posted as being temperamental, Because there restricted.

Next time you are in Stockton try and dig out 15 branded 1484... Then talk about Restricted Kickdown! That bus lives in kickdown town!
May just be me but I kinda prefer max to sapphire.

I dislike the plastic blue interior of the Sapphire brand and aside plugs it's not all that.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(21 May 2016, 4:37 pm)Ambassador wrote May just be me but I kinda prefer max to sapphire.

I dislike the plastic blue interior of the Sapphire brand and aside plugs it's not all that.

The NSAs come as an advantage to me, mind MAX is decent but the issue for me is I would rather have for example a TEN, Cobalt Clipper or Fab Fifty Six B9 as they offer the same level of quality as sapphire minus the leather seats which makes me happy, and you have no limit on the WiFi Tongue
Site Administrator
(21 May 2016, 5:55 pm)NK53 TKT wrote The NSAs come as an advantage to me, mind MAX is decent but the issue for me is I would rather have for example a TEN, Cobalt Clipper or Fab Fifty Six B9 as they offer the same level of quality as sapphire minus the leather seats which makes me happy, and you have no limit on the WiFi Tongue

There is a limit as to how much data you can download/upload - perhaps it's just more than Arriva.
(21 May 2016, 5:55 pm)NK53 TKT wrote The NSAs come as an advantage to me, mind MAX is decent but the issue for me is I would rather have for example a TEN, Cobalt Clipper or Fab Fifty Six B9 as they offer the same level of quality as sapphire minus the leather seats which makes me happy, and you have no limit on the WiFi Tongue

How much WiFi do you use like? I sit on an X18 for three and a half hours every other Sunday, and have done for over a year, and use the WiFi constantly. In that time, I've reached the limit once...
As part of the recent service changes, the last Stockton worked X66 trips now works off a 9/27/27a (weekdays, also works the 805 schooldays and a round trip on the 29a to Nunthorpe) and 28/28a/29/29a (Saturdays) resulting in regular non-MAX vehicles appearing (the weekday board should be allocated 1415)

[Image: 27134657056_afcc264112_c.jpg]Arriva North East 1453 (NK10 CFX) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr
Looks like everyone is getting a free ride on 1600. Ticket machine dead as a doornail.

Oh no. It's woken up and the driver is taking fares, now!
Although listed for disposal, 1102 was still in service last week at Whitby, as were 1103 and 2827, all on town services.
Meanwhile, 7458 (T313 FGN) still soldiers on at Blyth.
(23 May 2016, 3:06 pm)forster wrote Although listed for disposal, 1102 was still in service last week at Whitby, as were 1103 and 2827, all on town services.
Meanwhile, 7458 (T313 FGN) still soldiers on at Blyth.

1102 hopefully remains as its actually 1103 listed for disposal and 1102 in reserve
Best bus ever
(23 May 2016, 5:37 pm)NK53 TKT wrote 4519 is on loan to Ashington, just passed me on the X7

Surely you mean Blyth? Ashington don't operate the X7.
(23 May 2016, 5:19 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote 1102 hopefully remains as its actually 1103 listed for disposal and 1102 in reserve

Neither 1102 or 1103 are listed for disposal. They are with 1105 at Whitby on the latest allocation. Only 1104 for disposal.
1105 was on 64 yesterday, also 4723  lost a side window after hitting a pothole near the health centre at eston square on a 64a yesterday
On the lunch time BBC Look North there was a feature with an Arriva Frequenta Solo regarding the Dales Bus. Apparently a TV camera is going to track the journey of the Dales Bus for a TV programme to be shown later this year.