Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2016
(18 Jun 2016, 8:44 am)palatine3833 wrote I would question that, since they are judging their passenger numbers on the ticket machine data.  This works but only to a certain extent.  If 30 people board at Blackhall Mill, but only 2 of them buy single/returns to the Business Park and the other 28 have passes, what method do GNE (or any other company for that matter) have of determining when they alight the bus?  Or do they just assume they all went to Newcastle?

Feel free to question it - but how do you know that Go North East are measuring passenger numbers between two locations on ticket machine data alone?

The news page refers to the real-time information system fitted to each bus which has allowed the company to build more realistic and achievable timetables - but I see no mention of how the company gathered their information regarding passenger numbers.

For all you or I know, Go North East could have allocated a resource to stand at Newcastle Business Park to record how many people were alighting at these stops. If this was done over a few days/weeks, the company could get an average figure for how many passengers are alighting at Newcastle Business Park over the course of the day. I am not suggesting that this has been done, but it is a possibility, and a way in which the 28 passes could have been captured.
(18 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm)Dan wrote Feel free to question it - but how do you know that Go North East are measuring passenger numbers between two locations on ticket machine data alone?

The news page refers to the real-time information system fitted to each bus which has allowed the company to build more realistic and achievable timetables - but I see no mention of how the company gathered their information regarding passenger numbers.

For all you or I know, Go North East could have allocated a resource to stand at Newcastle Business Park to record how many people were alighting at these stops. If this was done over a few days/weeks, the company could get an average figure for how many passengers are alighting at Newcastle Business Park over the course of the day. I am not suggesting that this has been done, but it is a possibility, and a way in which the 28 passes could have been captured.

They could also use the key cards to show travel patterns...
Say someone gets on at blackhall mill and only travels to Blaydon and gets 49 to winlaton. GNE would be able to see that they got off at Blaydon based on the fact they scanned their pass on the 49 at Blaydon.
Based on this method they would be able to determine who gets on at Blackhall Mill and who gets off at the Business Park by seeing who re-scans their pass from the same point going back toward BHM
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm)JP6004 wrote They could also use the key cards to show travel patterns...
Say someone gets on at blackhall mill and only travels to Blaydon and gets 49 to winlaton. GNE would be able to see that they got off at Blaydon based on the fact they scanned their pass on the 49 at Blaydon.
Based on this method they would be able to determine who gets on at Blackhall Mill and who gets off at the Business Park by seeing who re-scans their pass from the same point going back toward BHM

Edit: Same goes for day and week paper tickets

Yep - you've hit the nail on the head!

I am sure Go North East would not put a precise figure out on the public domain if it was not correct.
(18 Jun 2016, 1:22 pm)Dan wrote Yep - you've hit the nail on the head!

I am sure Go North East would not put a precise figure out on the public domain if it was not correct.

Exactly. Yes the 11 might be packed and 20 people get off at the Business Park. But tthe majority of them might get on at Blaydon because it comes before the 12...
I went to Blaydon back in 2014,and when the 11/11A went past they were both empty,weather i just caught it on a 'off' day i dont know,but it was late afternoon and completely empty of passengers,im not from that area so dunno what the 11 is like,but i opted for a 10 to Newcastle in the end
Just seen a Indigo solo on the 265 heading towards the big tesco at Durham, the destination only had the number on as for the destination you can't read it.

Was in car so didn't the the number of the Solo.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Didn't GNE say on Facebook the decision was made based on ticket machines?

Now that of course could be a over enthusiastic GNE Facebook employee
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(18 Jun 2016, 7:12 pm)Ambassador wrote Didn't GNE say on Facebook the decision was made based on ticket machines?

Now that of course could be a over enthusiastic GNE Facebook employee

Well, AVL is operated through the ticket machines and people scan their cards on the ticket machines, so aye probably right.
Currently on 5327 and it seems to be having a few problems, it came past Park Lane and wasn't getting any power then decided to stop completely so the driver had to re-set the bus.

Seems to be ok now for the time-being.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jun 2016, 1:24 pm)Michael wrote Currently on 5327 and it seems to be having a few problems, it came past Park Lane and wasn't getting any power then decided to stop completely so the driver had to re-set the bus.

Seems to be ok now for the time-being.

Try going on 5302 it's #broken
(19 Jun 2016, 2:21 pm)Ryan99 wrote Try going on 5302 it's #broken
(19 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm)EL1TE wrote True fact!!
(19 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm)Ryan99 wrote It's horrid

Sorry - I'm lost? Is there something newsworthy to add here, or would you at least enlighten the rest of the forum what the issue is?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
I've been down to Port of Tyne at Royal Quays this afternoon to see the Disney Magic cruise ship again for its second visit here to the North East.\

Whilst there we noticed various coaches bringing guests back to the ship from their day trips away exploring the North East. However where we were and where the coaches were coming in, I wasn't able to get any photos.

Anyway I did notice GNE were doing a shuttle bus, the one I saw was a corporate liveried Solar. Again it was bringing guests right into the docking area of the Disney Magic.

Does anyone know where these GNE shuttles were taking guests to and from, I know the various coaches that were there were taking people to places such as, Alnwick Castle, Beamish Museum, Roman Wall and York.

Anyone else been down there today?

(19 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm)thetravelman wrote
I've been down to Port of Tyne at Royal Quays this afternoon to see the Disney Magic cruise ship again for its second visit here to the North East.\

Whilst there we noticed various coaches bringing guests back to the ship from their day trips away exploring the North East. However where we were and where the coaches were coming in, I wasn't able to get any photos.

Anyway I did notice GNE were doing a shuttle bus, the one I saw was a corporate liveried Solar. Again it was bringing guests right into the docking area of the Disney Magic.

Does anyone know where these GNE shuttles were taking guests to and from, I know the various coaches that were there were taking people to places such as, Alnwick Castle, Beamish Museum, Roman Wall and York.

Anyone else been down there today?

There was 13 coaches at beamish today
Best bus ever
United FLF
Unregistered
(19 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote There was 13 coaches at beamish today

The Port of Tyne run a shuttle between the cruise terminal and Tynemouth Metro for passengers who wish to explore on their own.  When the Holland America cruise ship was here a few weeks ago, Go North East were operating 4 vehicles (Volvos and Scanias) on the service.
(19 Jun 2016, 6:23 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Isn't 5302 the See It Do it with the bells that don't work?
The bells work fine but it's the engine since the engine had that rattle noise coming from there since then it hasn't been right , also to mention 5299 won't be in service for a bit as its at Albany motors the driver took his foot off the accelerator and next to rarely any power came from it
A green Great Park Quaylink Versa has just gone down into St. Peter's as Not in Service (2:45pm) 

I've noted in Rare and odd workings, a Blue Citylink Citaro go in as Q3 just 5 mins or so earlier
(20 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm)S813 FVK wrote 5246 is the final vehicle to be branded for Whey Aye Five 0 services 50 and 5: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/27695094062/

Left South Shields on the 16:00 5 to Jarrow, should be around the Bolden area now.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(20 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm)S813 FVK wrote 5246 is the final vehicle to be branded for Whey Aye Five 0 services 50 and 5: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/27695094062/

It was done before Saturday
[Image: 27758940496_5dbd50ef8b_c.jpg]Go North East 5246 (NK56 KHR) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr

My one nitpick here - it looks out-of-place with the location of the front registration plate compared to the others, being the only ex-Cobalt Connect one not to have it relocated back to its original location on the bumper.
(20 Jun 2016, 3:30 pm)Kuyoyo wrote My one nitpick here - it looks out-of-place with the location of the front registration plate compared to the others, being the only ex-Cobalt Connect one not to have it relocated back to its original location on the bumper.

5243 has its front registration in the same position as 5246, too.
Site Administrator
(20 Jun 2016, 5:53 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Has 4911 returned to service as on the fleet list its in full service

No - there's no Volvo B10BLEs in service at Deptford any more.

4911 was withdrawn on 2nd June 2016.
(20 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm)Dan wrote No - there's no Volvo B10BLEs in service at Deptford any more.

4911 was withdrawn on 2nd June 2016.

Thats a shame in other news 6091 has the old nsas
Best bus ever
According to the latest fleet news from GNE, 7094 7095 7098 7099 7100 7101 7102 are now all withdrawn from Chester le Street.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.