You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016
(07 Jul 2016, 10:28 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote Major delays in and out of Darlington town centre for the forseeable future, A major incident has occurred in the town centre, with one vehicle (Gas Bus) colliding with a building
Slight bit more info about the incident.
http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1460...ough_bank/
(07 Jul 2016, 10:28 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote Major delays in and out of Darlington town centre for the forseeable future, A major incident has occurred in the town centre, with one vehicle (Gas Bus) colliding with a building

Mod note: for the above topic, can I ask that we refrain from speculation, and instead spare a thought for the victims and their families. 

I'm sure we'll hear a lot more about this incident in due course.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
With the tragic incident today, does Darlo have a spare vehicle to cover 4802 or will transfers have to happen?
(07 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm)JoshP wrote With the tragic incident today, does Darlo have a spare vehicle to cover 4802 or will transfers have to happen?

Well known how unreliable scanias are constantly breaking down I doubt there will be a spare bus, unsure if 7537 is back from repair yet but I'm sure they will manage for a while, if not one of the low landers at Durham will stay and Durham will send a pulsar down
(08 Jul 2016, 1:19 pm)Designline wrote Does anyone know when the MAX pulsars at jesmond will receive branding?
I don't know as the X16 isn't actually marketed as a MAX route
(08 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I don't know as the X16 isn't actually marketed as a MAX route

so does that mean the two max pulsar may get moved to another depot
(09 Jul 2016, 8:28 am)Designline wrote so does that mean the two max pulsar may get moved to another depot

No - they will gain branding for service X16 at some point, just a date hasnt been released as to when yet.
Site Administrator
The recently repainted Optare Solo at Jesmond has recently suffered accident damage and is currently running round with a large panel on the offside which is a different colour to the rest of the bus. It is on the 51 today.
Had letter through my door and thought I would mention a few things:

Affecting Services 53 & 308

-
Billy Mill roundabout replacement (signalised crossing) works due to commence on Monday 18/07 and lasting 5 weeks.

- Lynn Road entrance and exit to be closed approx W/C 25/07 for 1x week with a shuttle bus running between Lynn Road & North Tyneside Hospital; presumably seeing services 53 & 308 diverting via Norham Road, Westminster Avenue and New York Road with the 53 partially running on the Coast Road between Norham Road & Billy Mill; vice versa.

- Restricted access on Lynn Road towards Billy Mill with an enforced bus lane once closure is complete with maintained access onto Lynn Road from Billy Mill towards Rake Lane / New York until the work is complete.
(09 Jul 2016, 10:45 am)Dan wrote The recently repainted Optare Solo at Jesmond has recently suffered accident damage and is currently running round with a large panel on the offside which is a different colour to the rest of the bus. It is on the 51 today.

I know it sounds like ludicrous idea but to me it makes sense, shouldn't NK06 GXG (4653) and NK05 GXO (4659)migrate south of Tyne to join the others and send two pulsars north for the X14. (Sorry if it is only me that thinks that but it make logical and mechanical sense)
(10 Jul 2016, 8:22 am)Designline wrote I know it sounds like ludicrous idea but to me it makes sense, shouldn't NK06 GXG (4653) and NK05 GXO (4659)migrate south of Tyne to join the others and send two pulsars north for the X14. (Sorry if it is only me that thinks that but it make logical and mechanical sense)

It's not ludicrous idea at all, Voith Gearboxes are a lot better at climbing Large banks than ZFs, Which the scanias have.
A Euro 5 E400 stalled on the bank around crag side a few weeks ago due to the Eco setup of the gearbox not doing it any good on Large banks like that.

Pulsars are also have a great turn of speed, Which comes in handy for a route like the X14
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(10 Jul 2016, 12:11 pm)David McGloin wrote I'd say 1406/16 darlington be ideal two pulsars to swap 4653/59 with
Been a few people suggest that, a flaw in that plan is I think 1406/1416 now have next stop announcement screens. 1406 also has USB ports.
(10 Jul 2016, 12:14 pm)Jimmi wrote Been a few people suggest that, a flaw in that plan is I think 1406/1416 now have next stop announcement screens. 1406 also has USB ports.

I would have suggested that the two pulsars at jesmond would be more appropriate as they are currently being used on the x16 and would save money transferring other pulsars a greater distance from other depots like darlington or redcar ETC
With the redcar changes are any buses to be withdrawn or cascaded.
The 64 going half hourly will take buses of the pvr.
As they have 1906,4512 to act as spares while pulsars get wifi i think these may leave.
Does anyone know if anybus is leaving from the redcar bus changes
Best bus ever
(10 Jul 2016, 2:08 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote With the redcar changes are any buses to be withdrawn or cascaded.
The 64 going half hourly will take buses of the pvr.
As they have 1906,4512 to act as spares while pulsars get wifi i think these may leave.
Does anyone know if anybus is leaving from the redcar bus changes

64 is currently half hourly anyway. The 62 replaces the 22 and is standalone Monday to Saturday (compared to the 22 - which is standalone on Saturdays but interworks with 64/64a during the weekday and 63s on Sunday/Bank Holiday) with Sundays looking like 62/64a (compared to 22/63 and 63/64a). The 64/64a appears to be 10 buses during the weekday and 9 on a Saturday (with rumours that the S2 will interwork and there's 15 minutes recovery layover in Middlesbrough), 62 is 5 compared to the current 15 22/64/64a.
81 going hourly saves 1 bus. And that is the only saving. Whether they release a bus or not is unknown. However, considering Redcar's allocation, likely see no release until the end of the summer season.

As for 1906/4512, they are covering the frequenta 63 repaints which is the Pulsars and some of the Temsas (not enough Pulsars to cover the full PVR of 13).
(10 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Keep that idea to yourself we have enough of those sheds
Indeed, reliability ain't great on them. An interior panel had fallen off 4651 when I was on it the other day.
(10 Jul 2016, 8:38 am)South Tyne Lad wrote It's not ludicrous idea at all, Voith Gearboxes are a lot better at climbing Large banks than ZFs, Which the scanias have.
A Euro 5 E400 stalled on the bank around crag side a few weeks ago due to the Eco setup of the gearbox not doing it any good on Large banks like that.

Pulsars are also have a great turn of speed, Which comes in handy for a route like the X14

I think the opposite. From my experience, Voiths are generally best kept to city and town routes while ZFs seem to perform at their best on country roads and steep banks.
(10 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm)streetlite5402 wrote I think the opposite. From my experience, Voiths are generally best kept to city and town routes while ZFs seem to perform at their best on country roads and steep banks.

I don't know much about gear boxes on buses but I think the X15 57 reg buses could do with some TLC, the reason is they sound slightly round especially when they are going over the hill as you enter spittal. this could be just me thinking they are bad but like a lot of people say more people hearing the badness in something is better than on person.
(10 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm)streetlite5402 wrote I think the opposite. From my experience, Voiths are generally best kept to city and town routes while ZFs seem to perform at their best on country roads and steep banks.

From my outings, Voith's produce more power out of 1st and 2nd than ZFs do, Which is the gears needed for the banks around Rothbury area.
Also the way there setup, Voiths will change to 1st gear when on a bank around 13mph, While ZFs will not change back to 1st until around 1 - 5mph depending on the variant.
Having a bit extra speed to maintain power on steep inclines is better than having to start from a near standstill because the gearbox wont change back into 1st again until a near standstill.
It also explains why Voith gearboxed vehicles are commonly used on the X14 instead of the branded vehicles ( Understand one of the Omnicity's is VOR I think ) DAF DB250s seem to be the stalemate on there due to their good climbing in Gear 1, Which would go the same for the Pulsar's that are being suggested to operate it.
Should also be mentioned the 1 allocated E400 to the route stalled on one of these banks a few weeks ago.

Sorry if its a bit complicated, Or ive described it wrong.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile