You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016
(13 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote There's a few more with them as well, I'm guessing it will be for the 1/5/5A as more and more of the 14** seem to appear on there now, all darlingtons fleet will probably end up getting next stop announcements sooner rather than later

Including the Frequenta Solos? It'd be great if every route and every bus had them.
(13 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm)JoshP wrote Including the Frequenta Solos? It'd be great if every route and every bus had them.
With the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if all (or almost all) the buses at Darlington depot end up being fitted with next stop announcements, if most of the Pulsars gain them, it would mean the Frequenta Solo's and EcoCitys on Frequenta 2 and 4809-4811 will be about the only buses at Darlington without next stop announcement equipment (1906 obviously wouldn't get announcement equipment).

Something I'd like to see if the above is to happen, would be to give all routes at Darlington (excluding Moorsbus and Dalesbus) announcements on each bus, so for example on evenings and Sundays when the 5A interworks with the 3 and uses Solo's, you would still get announcements.

I just hope that they don't use the depressing voice-over that they've used on the recently updated announcements on the X1 and X75/X76.
(13 Oct 2016, 10:59 pm)Jimmi wrote With the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if all (or almost all) the buses at Darlington depot end up being fitted with next stop announcements, if most of the Pulsars gain them, it would mean the Frequenta Solo's and EcoCitys on Frequenta 2 and 4809-4811 will be about the only buses at Darlington without next stop announcement equipment (1906 obviously wouldn't get announcement equipment).

Something I'd like to see if the above is to happen, would be to give all routes at Darlington (excluding Moorsbus and Dalesbus) announcements on each bus, so for example on evenings and Sundays when the 5A interworks with the 3 and uses Solo's, you would still get announcements.

I just hope that they don't use the depressing voice-over that they've used on the recently updated announcements on the X1 and X75/X76.

The X66 sounds ready to end it all, too.

Next stop... Sigh...Harrowgate...
(13 Oct 2016, 11:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The X66 sounds ready to end it all, too.
Guessing it's the same voice-over then? Not been on the X66/X67 much recently and when I have, I have been unable to hear the announcements especially as I normally sit towards the back.

The most recent Pulsar's to gain next stop announcement equipment have the screens above the luggage Bay on the nearside rather than where the stopping light is. The screens are in the same place on the Omnicitys, X1 StreetLites, EcoCitys 4812-14 plus Stockton and some of Durham's Solos.
The X4's have changed the next stop announcements too, and have a couple of strange names for stops... Staithes is now Dalehouse, and the first stop in Hinderwell is Port Mulgrave. Could be a bit confusing for tourists.
I have to say I prefer the new voice on Darlingtons NSA's. I do think it would have been a cheaper option to fit a scrolling LED screen as fitted in GNE's X21 Streetdecks rather than the full monitor setup. However, more info can be added to the monitors so it'll no doubt balance out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Administrator
(14 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm)MrPottski wrote I have to say I prefer the new voice on Darlingtons NSA's. I do think it would have been a cheaper option to fit a scrolling LED screen as fitted in GNE's X21 Streetdecks rather than the full monitor setup. However, more info can be added to the monitors so it'll no doubt balance out.

The LED displays are about £1000 cheaper than the TFT monitor - and easier to programme!
(13 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm)JoshP wrote Including the Frequenta Solos? It'd be great if every route and every bus had them.

No it wouldn't.
(14 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm)tvd wrote The X4's have changed the next stop announcements too, and have a couple of strange names for stops...  Staithes is now Dalehouse, and the first stop in Hinderwell is Port Mulgrave.  Could be a bit confusing for tourists.

Never heard of Dalehouse. It doesn't go to Port Mulgrave, presumably the lane end.
(14 Oct 2016, 8:11 pm)Cock Robin wrote Never heard of Dalehouse. It doesn't go to Port Mulgrave, presumably the lane end.
Dalehouse is the couple of houses and pub at the bottom of the bank on the right hand side immediately before you get into Staithes (from the Loftus side).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
(14 Oct 2016, 8:09 pm)Cock Robin wrote No it wouldn't.
In what world would it not be good to have Next Stop Announcement systems on all vehicles?

Aside from massively assisting those with eyesight issues, they are a massive bonus for tourists, or those using the bus for the first time. Grow up, and stick some headphones in if they bother you that much.
1408 is now branded MAX X16 Kirkhill- Morpeth- Newcastle also with Morpeth to Newcastle every 15 minutes branding.
My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Site Administrator
(16 Sep 2016, 6:21 pm)RBZ 5459 wrote After months of deliberation the joint changes between SC Cumbria and Arriva for the 685 Carlisle-Newcastle corridor finally come into action from November 11th, fresh new special brand for the vehicles as well as better timetable between the companies for better coordination.

"Cross Pennine Connect" would be the brand name of choice, judging by posts on Facebook.
(15 Oct 2016, 9:57 am)Pulsar wrote 1408 is now branded MAX X16 Kirkhill- Morpeth- Newcastle also with Morpeth to Newcastle every 15 minutes branding.

Finally! Feels like it has taken years
(15 Oct 2016, 9:52 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Finally! Feels like it has taken years

It certainly does!

1411 is branded too but has been in Carlisle today so a long way from the x16!
My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
(11 Oct 2016, 2:18 pm)David McGloin wrote Stockton pulsar 1457 is now repainted in frequenta based livery for service 15
(11 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm)Cock Robin wrote I believe its going to be a Frequenta spare for 7/15s as there won't be a spare Solo when 2826 transfers to Redcar. 1487 now getting done.

I believe 1457-60 are/were all intended to be done - don't forget there's only 10 of the original batch of 11 61-reg examples for the 15 at Stockton to cover a PVR of 12 so likely to end up with 2 spares.

1457 of course made its first appearance since repaint on 15s yesterday - having appeared elsewhere since returning.

[Image: 30325513226_2e9ac9b748_c.jpg]Arriva North East 1457 (NK10 CGF) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr
I do wish Arriva would stop putting the EcoCitys on the 1/5/5A as it seems everytime I see one on here it ends up running stupidly late, got 4809 which is currently running 15 minutes late and this seems nothing out of the ordinary when these are on it. Changed to the 7 at Aycliffe Town Centre to try and make up some time. Of course, there is nowhere else for them to be allocated to annoyingly, so we are stuck with them.
(17 Oct 2016, 11:45 am)Jimmi wrote I do wish Arriva would stop putting the EcoCitys on the 1/5/5A as it seems everytime I see one on here it ends up running stupidly late, got 4809 which is currently running 15 minutes late and this seems nothing out of the ordinary when these are on it. Changed to the 7 at Aycliffe Town Centre to try and make up some time. Of course, there is nowhere else for them to be allocated to annoyingly, so we are stuck with them.

Since the 12 become interworked with the 1/5/5A there's nothing really they can do, 4809 is one of the worse ones since it's accident so it should be Town only, should have been branded for the 2, but when I seen it it had a supervisor driving it, so guessing someone's failed which could have then lead to it being late off Darlington, plus there is many other factors of why it could have been late
Does anyone know if the price of a 2 zone ticket for peterlee and Sunderland still £5.90 or has it gone up from the previous price increase.

(14 Oct 2016, 8:31 pm)mb134 wrote In what world would it not be good to have Next Stop Announcement systems on all vehicles?

Aside from massively assisting those with eyesight issues, they are a massive bonus for tourists, or those using the bus for the first time. Grow up, and stick some headphones in if they bother you that much.

You grow up. I wouldn't want headphones either.
(16 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I believe 1457-60 are/were all intended to be done - don't forget there's only 10 of the original batch of 11 61-reg examples for the 15 at Stockton to cover a PVR of 12 so likely to end up with 2 spares.

1457 of course made its first appearance since repaint on 15s yesterday - having appeared elsewhere since returning.

[Image: 30325513226_2e9ac9b748_c.jpg]Arriva North East 1457 (NK10 CGF) by Tony Kuy, on Flickr

Of course.
(17 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm)cbma06 wrote Does anyone know if the price of a 2 zone ticket for peterlee and Sunderland still £5.90 or has it gone up from the previous price increase.

£4.90 it is now.
Site Administrator
(17 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm)Cock Robin wrote You grow up. I wouldn't want headphones either.

We're in the age of making public transport more accessible for everyone - that is not a bad thing.

Gone are the days of step-entrance vehicles which turned away wheelchair users and forced pushchair users to fold them up if they wished to board. Gone are the days where partially-sighted people would not have the confidence to travel independently. Gone are the days where tourists have to hope that they don't miss their stop, in an unfamiliar area.

These 'new technologies' are here to stay and are here to be developed for further use. There will be a day whereby every single vehicle in the fleet is equipped with features such as Wi-Fi and Next Stop Announcements - it's just a matter of time. I'm a huge advocate of Next Stop Announcements - it's about finding a happy medium between selecting a volume low enough for those who the system won't benefit to a great extent (i.e. passengers who may regularly travel on a service and know the stops well), and a volume high enough for customers who the system does benefit and who may depend on these audio-visual announcements.
You never hear anyone complaining about having audio-visual announcements on the Metro (well, when they work Tongue ). What's wrong with having them on buses...? Buses stop at places too...

And if you're a regular passenger on routes with audio-visual announcements, you get used to them. And, I know that as I live on a Sapphire route.
I saw 7485 and 1767 out this morning,two buses ive never saw before both turned left on to beach road at billy mill both N.I.S,rather exciting for me
(20 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm)V514DFT wrote I saw 7485 and 1767 out this morning,two buses ive never saw before both turned left on to beach road at billy mill both N.I.S,rather exciting for me

7485 is at Blyth, might be a replacement for the pile that is 7466 (although 7487 isn't much better!)