'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 May 2016, 8:59 am #161

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36148788

Can anyone remember these stores?

Andreos1

18 May 2016, 11:37 am #162
Two years since Gateshead's trip to Wembley.

Gazza's goal seemed like two minutes ago. This seems like yesterday.

They were so close to getting promotion that season

Andreos1
18 May 2016, 11:37 am #162

Two years since Gateshead's trip to Wembley.

Gazza's goal seemed like two minutes ago. This seems like yesterday.

They were so close to getting promotion that season

James101

18 May 2016, 11:56 am #163
The hot weather last week reminded me of being younger when bus drivers would compulsively drive around with the doors open.Something which has now thankfully died out with door open alarms/brake interlocks on most modern buses.

Even when there wasn't such a health & safety culture, how it was every allowed is beyond me! It's clearly so dangerous! Looking through flickr, Hartlepool drivers seemed to be the worst offenders, particularly pre-stagecoach.
James101
18 May 2016, 11:56 am #163

The hot weather last week reminded me of being younger when bus drivers would compulsively drive around with the doors open.Something which has now thankfully died out with door open alarms/brake interlocks on most modern buses.

Even when there wasn't such a health & safety culture, how it was every allowed is beyond me! It's clearly so dangerous! Looking through flickr, Hartlepool drivers seemed to be the worst offenders, particularly pre-stagecoach.

Jimmi

18 May 2016, 11:59 am #164
(18 May 2016, 11:56 am)James101 The hot weather last week reminded me of being younger when bus drivers would compulsively drive around with the doors open.Something which has now thankfully died out with door open alarms/brake interlocks on most modern buses.

I've seen a certain County Durham based independent doing just this even in these days of health and safety whilst carrying passengers!
Jimmi
18 May 2016, 11:59 am #164

(18 May 2016, 11:56 am)James101 The hot weather last week reminded me of being younger when bus drivers would compulsively drive around with the doors open.Something which has now thankfully died out with door open alarms/brake interlocks on most modern buses.

I've seen a certain County Durham based independent doing just this even in these days of health and safety whilst carrying passengers!

Andreos1

03 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm #165
I wasn't sure which thread to stick this in, but plumped for this one in the end.

Saw a car with ribbons, bows and on its roof, loudspeakers just now - passing on political messages about what we should do on June 23rd.

Haven't seen one of those for years!

Andreos1
03 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm #165

I wasn't sure which thread to stick this in, but plumped for this one in the end.

Saw a car with ribbons, bows and on its roof, loudspeakers just now - passing on political messages about what we should do on June 23rd.

Haven't seen one of those for years!

Andreos1

14 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm #166
A mate sent me extended highlights of the Newcastle v Sheff Wed game from the 93/94 season. No idea why.

Apart from Newcastle having to wear their blue away kit at SJP, due to colour clashes with Sheff Weds home AND away kits, there was a player who I had forgotten all about.
Not Malcolm Allen or Alex Mathie. It was Nicos Papavasilou.

He set up Andy Cole at Old Trafford, played a handful of games and then vanished as quick as he arrived.
Dinky little left winger, with a curly pair of curtains and a tonne of Brycreem poured on top.

Andreos1
14 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm #166

A mate sent me extended highlights of the Newcastle v Sheff Wed game from the 93/94 season. No idea why.

Apart from Newcastle having to wear their blue away kit at SJP, due to colour clashes with Sheff Weds home AND away kits, there was a player who I had forgotten all about.
Not Malcolm Allen or Alex Mathie. It was Nicos Papavasilou.

He set up Andy Cole at Old Trafford, played a handful of games and then vanished as quick as he arrived.
Dinky little left winger, with a curly pair of curtains and a tonne of Brycreem poured on top.

Andreos1

09 Sep 2016, 5:05 am #167
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...d-11861893

25 years since the Tyneside Riots.

Some of the other stories and images featured on the front pages are just as interesting.

Andreos1
09 Sep 2016, 5:05 am #167

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...d-11861893

Some of the other stories and images featured on the front pages are just as interesting.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

09 Sep 2016, 7:55 am #168
(09 Sep 2016, 5:05 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...d-11861893

Reading the Chronicle lookback brought that all back, something I generally forgot about over that 25 years.

Thinking about it, I can remember being told that taxi and bus drivers were scared of coming through places like Murton and Seaham on the nights it was kicking off.

What is Meadowwell like these days, didn't the local council start to regenerate the area after the riots

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
MrFozz
09 Sep 2016, 7:55 am #168

(09 Sep 2016, 5:05 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...d-11861893

Reading the Chronicle lookback brought that all back, something I generally forgot about over that 25 years.

Thinking about it, I can remember being told that taxi and bus drivers were scared of coming through places like Murton and Seaham on the nights it was kicking off.

What is Meadowwell like these days, didn't the local council start to regenerate the area after the riots

Andreos1

10 Sep 2016, 8:24 am #169
(09 Sep 2016, 7:55 am)MrFozz Reading the Chronicle lookback brought that all back, something I generally  forgot about over that 25 years.

Joy riding and TWOC'ing, seemed the thing to do back then. There wasnt a weekend, when a car hadn't been nicked, crashed or burnt-out.

Some of the members who live in North Tyneside may be better placed to comment, but any regeneration of Meadowell seems to have long faded away. Driven through it fairly recently and it wasn't looking too grand.
There is a decent sports centre there (The Parks?) and obviously across the road, the Royal Quays area has the shopping outlet and housing around the basin.

Andreos1
10 Sep 2016, 8:24 am #169

(09 Sep 2016, 7:55 am)MrFozz Reading the Chronicle lookback brought that all back, something I generally  forgot about over that 25 years.

Joy riding and TWOC'ing, seemed the thing to do back then. There wasnt a weekend, when a car hadn't been nicked, crashed or burnt-out.

Some of the members who live in North Tyneside may be better placed to comment, but any regeneration of Meadowell seems to have long faded away. Driven through it fairly recently and it wasn't looking too grand.
There is a decent sports centre there (The Parks?) and obviously across the road, the Royal Quays area has the shopping outlet and housing around the basin.

Michael

09 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm #170
Week today and the Crystal Maze is back for a 1 off special for "Stand up to Cancer" on Channel 4.

Talk about bring back memories!

Shame it's not Richard O'Brien who's hosting it! =(
Edited 09 Oct 2016, 3:38 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm #170

Week today and the Crystal Maze is back for a 1 off special for "Stand up to Cancer" on Channel 4.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

13 Oct 2016, 7:48 am #171

I noticed Chester's Omnidekka doing this last week.
I won't say where and when, but the driver had been laying over NIS, before moving round on to the main road to start his run.

Andreos1
13 Oct 2016, 7:48 am #171

I noticed Chester's Omnidekka doing this last week.
I won't say where and when, but the driver had been laying over NIS, before moving round on to the main road to start his run.

Andreos1

19 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm #172
(09 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm)Michael Week today and the Crystal Maze is back for a 1 off special for "Stand up to Cancer" on Channel 4.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to....lxzL3zBYZ

Nice little write up about the original series.

Andreos1
19 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm #172

(09 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm)Michael Week today and the Crystal Maze is back for a 1 off special for "Stand up to Cancer" on Channel 4.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to....lxzL3zBYZ

Michael

19 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm #173
(19 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm)Andreos1 https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to....lxzL3zBYZ

That's a good write up... i always laugh when i see that women slipping on the log in to the water in the Aztec zone haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm #173

(19 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm)Andreos1 https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/to....lxzL3zBYZ

That's a good write up... i always laugh when i see that women slipping on the log in to the water in the Aztec zone haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

19 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm #174
(19 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm)Michael That's a good write up... i always laugh when i see that women slipping on the log in to the water in the Aztec zone haha

I often watched the series when it first came out on Channel 4 and I know my eldest watches the repeats on Challenge now.

However, I remember seeing the trailers for the first series and it looked amazing. Not sure how or why, but I didn't think the series ever lived up to that trailer.
It had been all the talk the day the initial series started and it was the day after - with mixed reviews.

When Ed Tudor Pole became the host, I gave up completely after a handful of episodes. He was no RO'B!
Edited 19 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
19 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm #174

(19 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm)Michael That's a good write up... i always laugh when i see that women slipping on the log in to the water in the Aztec zone haha

I often watched the series when it first came out on Channel 4 and I know my eldest watches the repeats on Challenge now.

However, I remember seeing the trailers for the first series and it looked amazing. Not sure how or why, but I didn't think the series ever lived up to that trailer.
It had been all the talk the day the initial series started and it was the day after - with mixed reviews.

When Ed Tudor Pole became the host, I gave up completely after a handful of episodes. He was no RO'B!

Michael

19 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm #175
(19 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm)Andreos1 I often watched the series when it first came out on Channel 4 and I know my eldest watches the repeats on Challenge now.

I watch the series on Youtube Wink

I think its one of those love or hate shows, i just watched it as i was young haha

Ye, it wasn't as good when Richard left... glad he made an appearance in the new one though!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm #175

(19 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm)Andreos1 I often watched the series when it first came out on Channel 4 and I know my eldest watches the repeats on Challenge now.

I watch the series on Youtube Wink

I think its one of those love or hate shows, i just watched it as i was young haha

Ye, it wasn't as good when Richard left... glad he made an appearance in the new one though!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm #176

I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

The program was only created because Fort Boyard (Channel 5 later produced 4 series running from 1998 to 2001 and Challenge making their own series in 2003) was still undergoing refurbishment when they wanted to film the pilot (hence the similarities between the two) so to create a whole new show with the framework already there in such a short space of time and then go to make a success of it is just fantastic. 

A shame we don't get shows like that these days. Nowhere near as exciting.
S813 FVK
19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm #176

I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

The program was only created because Fort Boyard (Channel 5 later produced 4 series running from 1998 to 2001 and Challenge making their own series in 2003) was still undergoing refurbishment when they wanted to film the pilot (hence the similarities between the two) so to create a whole new show with the framework already there in such a short space of time and then go to make a success of it is just fantastic. 

Michael

19 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm #177
(19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm)S813 FVK I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

Ye Richard brought the energy to it and he was such a good host, he was random too, i think it was more appealing to children though.

Liked Fort Boyard too.

Na, we get X-Factor on a Saturday night now..............

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm #177

(19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm)S813 FVK I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

Ye Richard brought the energy to it and he was such a good host, he was random too, i think it was more appealing to children though.

Liked Fort Boyard too.

Na, we get X-Factor on a Saturday night now..............

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

19 Oct 2016, 3:02 pm #178

Yeah, there's mention of Fort Boyard in that Buzzfeed article. I had no idea of the connection between the two until I read that article. Just thought it was one of those series that had been inspired by something else.

Andreos1
19 Oct 2016, 3:02 pm #178

Yeah, there's mention of Fort Boyard in that Buzzfeed article. I had no idea of the connection between the two until I read that article. Just thought it was one of those series that had been inspired by something else.

Jimmi

19 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm #179
(19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm)S813 FVK I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

There was also a similar sort of show to the Crystal Maze on CITV which was called Jungle Run which was basically just a children's version of the Crystal Maze.

But yeah, it is sad there isn't much like this sort of show on TV these days but then again look at Sky One's attempt at a revamped Gladiators, it was pretty poor and just wasn't the same as the original series.
Jimmi
19 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm #179

(19 Oct 2016, 2:57 pm)S813 FVK I think what made the show so good was because of the energy that it had although that did die off once Ed Tudor-Pole became host although I still did enjoy watching it.

There was also a similar sort of show to the Crystal Maze on CITV which was called Jungle Run which was basically just a children's version of the Crystal Maze.

But yeah, it is sad there isn't much like this sort of show on TV these days but then again look at Sky One's attempt at a revamped Gladiators, it was pretty poor and just wasn't the same as the original series.

Michael

19 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm #180
The 90's Crystal Maze intro is still one of my favorite intro's of all time though....

Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWYOENB8og

Zone/Dome music is also quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPR3LZNLTc

Or if you're a proper 90's kid then this show was also the best, with Pat Sharp and the twins hosting! - Fun house - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dWHRYJFGE
Edited 19 Oct 2016, 3:07 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm #180

The 90's Crystal Maze intro is still one of my favorite intro's of all time though....

Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWYOENB8og

Zone/Dome music is also quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPR3LZNLTc

Or if you're a proper 90's kid then this show was also the best, with Pat Sharp and the twins hosting! - Fun house - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dWHRYJFGE

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (13) Previous 18 9 1013 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average