You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016
(25 Oct 2016, 4:37 pm)tvd wrote Good grief thats gonna be an awful journey to Middlesbrough for those going most of the way.

Arriva have always been tinkering around with these services ever since they got rid of the X56 years ago.   To me, they should have kept it so you had an express route for quick journeys from Loftus/Brotton/Skelton?Gbro into Middlesbrough, and for the estates and those wanting it to stop at every bus stop, have the 5.   Or 256 or 65 as it was!

I dont know if there's ever been such a premium route thats been mucked about with so much as these.

The latest ''survey'' states that the 5 is not going to change. But, I agree, make the 5 an all stops and detours bus and change the 5a to a limited stop X5 which could reach Loftus in the time it takes a 5a to reach Skelton. And, yes, there's been so many changes over the years!!
Had two hours in the Gosforth Area today to track down some Great North Road Routes DAFs, And I while the branding is a bit naff, It plays it part in advertising the corridor.
Here's a photo of 7479 in Dinnington displaying the new branding https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
4652's air con was leaking, yesterday.:s
VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2s & Scania CN94UB/Scania OmniCitys.BlushHeart
(25 Oct 2016, 4:32 pm)tvd wrote The thing is though, that when people had to get used to that being the last bus, they made alternative arrangements.  Or had to finish work earlier and so on.

I'm not saying run buses all night, but if they had one even every couple of hours - 7, 9 and 11, back as far as Redcar - it'd not be a big investment and those extra couple of journeys would make all the difference.

Agree. They can't take buses off and then expect people just to start using them again if they are reintroduced. The damage has been done.
just to note by the looks of things 7445/6 and LJ55 BTO are going to be branded for 35/35A
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(25 Oct 2016, 4:32 pm)tvd wrote The thing is though, that when people had to get used to that being the last bus, they made alternative arrangements.  Or had to finish work earlier and so on.

I'm not saying run buses all night, but if they had one even every couple of hours - 7, 9 and 11, back as far as Redcar - it'd not be a big investment and those extra couple of journeys would make all the difference.

Totally agree with your points.

What I would add though, is if that specific Saturday evening service out of Whitby at the back end of the summer can't take decent loads, for a decent trip back towards Teesside - I am not sure services extended in to the evening will either. 
However much we want them to.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Oct 2016, 12:37 pm)Buses98 wrote just to note by the looks of things 7445/6 and LJ55 BTO are going to be branded for 35/35A

What makes you think that?
(27 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm)Cobalt271 wrote What makes you think that?

most mornings for the past week there has been an inspector on 7445 7446 and LJ55 BTO and the sheet has 35/35a vehicle trial and suitability and he has ticked most of the boxes
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(25 Oct 2016, 6:16 pm)Michael Euston wrote The latest ''survey'' states that the 5 is not going to change. But, I agree, make the 5 an all stops and detours bus and change the 5a to a limited stop X5 which could reach Loftus in the time it takes a 5a to reach Skelton. And, yes, there's been so many changes over the years!!

Having been one of the drivers on the 5/5A for almost 2 years, it is a shame to see the 5A being curtailed at Skelton but I can't say I am surprised, as beyond Hollybush round to Asda and Brotton it was very weak. In these times of budgets being squeezed I'm not surprised to see the resource being cut here (it takes a whole bus to extend from Hollybush to Brotton and back).
I don't think you will see the 5 being diverted via Asda either, there isn't enough time in the schedule to do this without cutting something else out (which would be Skinningrove/Liverton presumably).

As for the evening X4 - I would see it as a welcome investment by Arriva - clearly being done using limited resources to keep the cost down for what will presumably be a trial to start with. I would expect that Middlesbrough to Brotton/Skelton and back is as far as you can get in 2 hours judging by the daytime timetable. The opportunity to time it to allow connections from/to the 5 for passengers from Loftus gives them a chance to see what usage figures are like and decide whether they can justify increasing the resource cost and extend the X4 through to Easington (3 buses) or even Whitby (4 buses).
(27 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm)Buses98 wrote most mornings for the past week there has been an inspector on 7445 7446 and LJ55 BTO and the sheet has 35/35a vehicle trial and suitability and he has ticked most of the boxes

That's interesting. Wonder what would happen to 7472 if they went ahead and done that.
(27 Oct 2016, 12:37 pm)Buses98 wrote just to note by the looks of things 7445/6 and LJ55 BTO are going to be branded for 35/35A

Alrite "Designline"...?

I can confirm this as absolute tosh.
(27 Oct 2016, 8:58 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Alrite "Designline"...?

I can confirm this as absolute tosh.

this is something I have seen with my own eyes and I don't know what you mean about "designline"
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(27 Oct 2016, 9:21 pm)Buses98 wrote this is something I have seen with my own eyes and I don't know what you mean about "designline"

I know you used an account named "Designline" in the past.

7445/6 aren't being trialled on the 35/35A as they're the set allocation. As for 7416, it's been on the 35 once or twice whilst at Ashington.
(27 Oct 2016, 5:41 pm)tyresmoke wrote Having been one of the drivers on the 5/5A for almost 2 years, it is a shame to see the 5A being curtailed at Skelton but I can't say I am surprised, as beyond Hollybush round to Asda and Brotton it was very weak. In these times of budgets being squeezed I'm not surprised to see the resource being cut here (it takes a whole bus to extend from Hollybush to Brotton and back).
I don't think you will see the 5 being diverted via Asda either, there isn't enough time in the schedule to do this without cutting something else out (which would be Skinningrove/Liverton presumably).

As for the evening X4 - I would see it as a welcome investment by Arriva - clearly being done using limited resources to keep the cost down for what will presumably be a trial to start with. I would expect that Middlesbrough to Brotton/Skelton and back is as far as you can get in 2 hours judging by the daytime timetable. The opportunity to time it to allow connections from/to the 5 for passengers from Loftus gives them a chance to see what usage figures are like and decide whether they can justify increasing the resource cost and extend the X4 through to Easington (3 buses) or even Whitby (4 buses).

Interesting points. They do seem to struggle to know exactly what the best thing to do with the 5's is, but they never seem to seriously consider either the express option, or if they need to cut out some time, do all the 5's and 5A's all need to run from Swans Corner all the way into Middlesbrough, stopping everywhere? How many passengers from East Cleveland actually want to get off along there, and it seem to take an eternity to get into Middlesbrough sometimes.

The X4 has been a success, so for me I'd keep it as much as possible the same as it is now, but with a reduced frequency on an evening. There's already services between Middlesbrough and Redcar/Marske on an evening, so if the X4 is only going to go a little further down the road, its not going to be a great benefit to anyone. I take the point about connections, but people are reluctant to have to rely on these.
(27 Oct 2016, 9:48 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I know you used an account named "Designline" in the past.

7445/6 aren't being trialled on the 35/35A as they're the set allocation. As for 7416, it's been on the 35 once or twice whilst at Ashington.

do you have evidence to back the first part of your post
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(27 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm)Buses98 wrote do you have evidence to back the first part of your post

Your writing style for a start. And how Designline also referred to bus registrations not fleet numbers....
(27 Oct 2016, 11:19 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Your writing style for a start. And how Designline also referred to bus registrations not fleet numbers....
to begin with I write the way I always do and i cannot help that and i see where you are coming from and if I was you  would have pointed that out, I have no idea who designline is who's user name it is. I use registrations because i am not all that good using fleet numbers at this point and time but I am trying learn which bus has which fleet number. also sorry if you think i am being abrupt and rude i didn't mean to come across like that. I thought I would mention that I am from London so if I use the ex London fleet numbers I am sorry it is a habbit as i know those buses by their old fleet number not their current ones that's why is used the registration for VLA144 (LJ55 BTO)
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(27 Oct 2016, 11:29 pm)Buses98 wrote to begin with I write the way I always do and i cannot help that and i see where you are coming from and if I was you  would have pointed that out, I have no idea who designline is who's user name it is. I use registrations because i am not all that good using fleet numbers at this point and time but I am trying learn which bus has which fleet number. also sorry if you think i am being abrupt and rude i didn't mean to come across like that. I thought I would mention that I am from London so if I use the ex London fleet numbers I am sorry it is a habbit as i know those buses by their old fleet number not their current ones that's why is used the registration for VLA144 (LJ55 BTO)

Designline said he was from Southend when he was actually from Pegswood/Ashington area, and his previous accounts said he had recently moved from Sheffield to Morpeth, despite commenting on the North East Buses News website as far as 2012 about Ashington depot-related stuff...

I just find it a bit suspicious that your first post was about the 35. Of which serves Pegswood and Ashington...
(27 Oct 2016, 5:41 pm)tyresmoke wrote Having been one of the drivers on the 5/5A for almost 2 years, it is a shame to see the 5A being curtailed at Skelton but I can't say I am surprised, as beyond Hollybush round to Asda and Brotton it was very weak. In these times of budgets being squeezed I'm not surprised to see the resource being cut here (it takes a whole bus to extend from Hollybush to Brotton and back).

You're right that there's not many passengers left after Skelton. I don't think the detour down Saltburn Lane's speed humps has helped the 5A but I understand why it happened. Surely the normal route around Hollybush then through North Skelton would have been better?  I still think many Brotton people will miss their link to Asda though- including some of the Asda staff!
(28 Oct 2016, 6:33 am)GX03 SVC wrote Designline said he was from Southend when he was actually from Pegswood/Ashington area, and his previous accounts said he had recently moved from Sheffield to Morpeth, despite commenting on the North East Buses News website as far as 2012 about Ashington depot-related stuff...

I just find it a bit suspicious that your first post was about the 35. Of which serves Pegswood and Ashington.
I am not bothered if you think I am using two accounts and I can tell you now I am not. can we just leave it at that because I am not looking to pick arguments and I don't want to annoy or upset anyone
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(27 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm)tvd wrote Interesting points.   They do seem to struggle to know exactly what the best thing to do with the 5's is, but they never seem to seriously consider either the express option, or if they need to cut out some time, do all the 5's and 5A's all need to run from Swans Corner all the way into Middlesbrough, stopping everywhere?  How many passengers from East Cleveland actually want to get off along there, and it seem to take an eternity to get into Middlesbrough sometimes.

The X4 has been a success, so for me I'd keep it as much as possible the same as it is now, but with a reduced frequency on an evening.   There's already services between Middlesbrough and Redcar/Marske  on an evening, so if the X4 is only going to go a little further down the road, its not going to be a great benefit to anyone.  I take the point about connections, but people are reluctant to have to rely on these.

Trouble is even if it was running non stop from Swans Corner it would have to run largely the same route as you can't access the Parkway west side from Ormesby Bank.
(27 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm)tvd wrote Interesting points.   They do seem to struggle to know exactly what the best thing to do with the 5's is, but they never seem to seriously consider either the express option, or if they need to cut out some time, do all the 5's and 5A's all need to run from Swans Corner all the way into Middlesbrough, stopping everywhere?  How many passengers from East Cleveland actually want to get off along there, and it seem to take an eternity to get into Middlesbrough sometimes.

The X4 has been a success, so for me I'd keep it as much as possible the same as it is now, but with a reduced frequency on an evening.   There's already services between Middlesbrough and Redcar/Marske  on an evening, so if the X4 is only going to go a little further down the road, its not going to be a great benefit to anyone.  I take the point about connections, but people are reluctant to have to rely on these.

I don't think running limited stop from Swans Corner would save much time, and there is a large number of passengers from there on into the town centre that would have to be catered for with another service.

From another post, there is definitely a few regular Asda staff in Brotton using the 5a to get to/from work that will have to return to walking. There is no safe walking route from Brotton though!
(28 Oct 2016, 11:29 pm)David McGloin wrote Doesn't redcar council 752 serve Skelton asda? I know it was for trial period but perhaps removal of 5A will see it become permanent?

The 752 runs 3 or 4 times a day between Loftus and Brotton hospital. It has now been extended from the hospital to Asda but runs down the bypass totally omitting Brotton. A complete waste of time!
(30 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm)Michael wrote The suggestions though.... "Mirrors on back of the seats".

Sorry but that's a no from me.
I think that there was some good suggestions in there but some I just thought "what on earth are you on about?" vending machines?!

Must say, my biggest disagreement was radio being blasted out for everyone to hear, bad enough when people blast music out of their phones on the bus.
(30 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm)Michael wrote The suggestions though.... "Mirrors on back of the seats".

Sorry but that's a no from me.

Really would like to see how they'd get a vending machine on there, along with the hot drinks machine, and bottled water dispenser Wink